Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

There Bias Two posted:

I'm confused about Hiro's motivations in light of the last episode. How is he so utterly callous and...alien toward strangers and acquaintances, yet deeply cares for his family?

Yea, that's his thing. It's carried over from his childish mental compartmentalization of relationships, which was shown in a flashback in episode 2:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

maybe hiro will become the good guy and put down the bad grandpa. you know that guy was doing suspicious stuff in a hospital, can't have that

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

AnacondaHL posted:

Yea, that's his thing. It's carried over from his childish mental compartmentalization of relationships, which was shown in a flashback in episode 2:

So he basically never moved past the "child who sets anthills on fire" stage of emotional development? Now it just feels like he has a learning disability of some sort.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Isn't that how a lot of literal sociopaths are? They can care for people close to them but are otherwise devoid of empathy towards their fellow human beings.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mordja posted:

Isn't that how a lot of literal sociopaths are? They can care for people close to them but are otherwise devoid of empathy towards their fellow human beings.

It is my understanding that sociopaths only pretend to care for those close to them because it is advantageous to them.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

I'm confused about Hiro's motivations in light of the last episode. How is he so utterly callous and...alien toward strangers and acquaintances, yet deeply cares for his family?

So, this has already been answered up above, but this is something I saw frequently in the manga comments. I think a lot of people, not necessarily you, saw this as the author trying to redeem him, but it really all falls into place with his self-professed morality. I.E, if I know you, I love you; if you're a stranger, you're hosed lol.

In a way, it sort of shows that he is still that (foolish)child that he once was.

There Bias Two posted:

It is my understanding that sociopaths only pretend to care for those close to them because it is advantageous to them.

I assume that, since they are still people, there are levels before full-on "Everyone is my minion and this world is all for me".

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Postal Parcel posted:

So, this has already been answered up above, but this is something I saw frequently in the manga comments. I think a lot of people, not necessarily you, saw this as the author trying to redeem him, but it really all falls into place with his self-professed morality. I.E, if I know you, I love you; if you're a stranger, you're hosed lol.

I don't see this as a redemption attempt, it just seems weird that he's obviously compassionate toward a handful of people and indifferent toward everyone else. But I guess there are plenty of people who behave this way in real life, it's just that most aren't careless enough to start mowing them down for giggles.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

There Bias Two posted:

I don't see this as a redemption attempt, it just seems weird that he's obviously compassionate toward a handful of people and indifferent toward everyone else. But I guess there are plenty of people who behave this way in real life, it's just that most aren't careless enough to start mowing them down for giggles.

most people also don't have the freedom to mow people down for the giggles without consequence

maybe cops

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

There Bias Two posted:

So he basically never moved past the "child who sets anthills on fire" stage of emotional development? Now it just feels like he has a learning disability of some sort.

Based on the latest episode, my take: looks like right around that time is when his mom and dad divorced, given the ages of the dad's 2nd family's children. So this could have been his emotional coping mechanism

But I mean, obviously he's pretty hosed in the head, and has done terrible things of which he doesn't grasp the consequences, so I don't think this is a learning disability, just bog-standard sociopathy.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mordja posted:

Correct, like most mental disorders there is a spectrum of severity, some sociopaths are able to form somewhat normal relationships with people close to them and feel emotions on their behalf, others only form abusive and exploitive relationships.

Also in Hiro's case we have the whole "Absolute power corrupts absolutely" angle which obviously complicates things.

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun

Expect My Mom posted:

Finally got around to watching the second episode after hearing how difficult was and oofa doofa that was rough, but also cool. I really dug the cyborg body horror from the OP and first episode and the hard turn into just straight horror/thriller in this one.

Probably gonna jump on the manga for this since im real into it. It's surprisingly short so hopefully it can hold itself together better than what I've heard about Gantz.

It really doesn't hold up..even when Oku (the mangaka) set it up as a short series.

It is almost like he forgot what he was going to do with the story/characters at the end like he did with Gantz.

I am really hoping that the anime version explains and flesh things out better (like what happen with Gantz anime).

JMO

lyricaldanichan fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 10, 2017

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

lyricaldanichan posted:

It really doesn't hold up..even when Oku (the mangaka) set it up as a short series.

It is almost like he forgot what he was going to do with the story/characters at the end like he did with Gantz.

I am really hoping that the anime version explains and flesh things out better (like what happen with Gantz anime).

JMO

I agree, however I argue that it's more coherent than Gantz(manga) which goes balls to the wall stupid towards its ending.

Alien Hitler Ghandi Monroe...ughhhhhhh

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Anime was going well, marathoned the manga. Was not expecting the most half-assed Death Note fanfiction I've ever seen, kinda surprised an established author pulled it out of his rear end tbh.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Rime posted:

Anime was going well, marathoned the manga. Was not expecting the most half-assed Death Note fanfiction I've ever seen, kinda surprised an established author pulled it out of his rear end tbh.

Is it not worth finishing?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I think it's probably worth finishing the Anime and it will deliver some feels, but not if you also finish the Manga.

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun

There Bias Two posted:

Is it not worth finishing?

It is, but don't go in with high expectations.

Especially if you are not familiar with the way the mangaka (Oku) tells stories.

If you have Crunchyroll subscription, you can read all of the manga.

It ended about a month (or so) ago.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
One thing I like about Oku works is his utter disdain for the youth of today. Like, when he shows message boards and texts and the like, he goes hard on the cynical and hateful style of writing for those people. It's absolutely hilarious. An example would be towards the end of Gantz, where people are posting crap like "ww this kurono dude's gonna get hosed up wwwww" or "gues the worlds ending wwww BANZAI °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖° "

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

If there's one body horror thing they could do that would freak me out, it's the loving USB ports under the fingernails. drat does that make me uncomfortable.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

:ohdear:

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

It might be terrible of me, but I laughed when the kid basically just went full Ocelot in MGS4.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I'm real curious as to how Hiro was doing that. I can't tell if it was just a smash cut of his personally going to each individual or if it was something else in his arsenal.

Aug 24, 2011

Genocyber posted:

I'm real curious as to how Hiro was doing that. I can't tell if it was just a smash cut of his personally going to each individual or if it was something else in his arsenal.

nanomachines, son

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

alien magic

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i didn't think hiro's redemption arc would happen so soon

Aug 24, 2011

Homura and Sickle posted:

i didn't think hiro's redemption arc would happen so soon

you can see in the opening credits he's talking happily to the grandpa so that will happen at some point in the future

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

where the red fern gropes posted:

you can see in the opening credits he's talking happily to the grandpa so that will happen at some point in the future

i just meant becoming a real hero by killing all of 2chan

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Homura and Sickle posted:

i just meant becoming a real hero by killing all of 2chan

Truly a saint

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Somehow this is going to end up with people calling Hiro "the coolest guy" and someone will do an edit with "the coolest guy" over an image of that kid drowning in his dad's blood or whatever like that Naruto thing.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Hiro, my dude, you forgot one of the most cardinal rules of the internet: NEVER READ THE COMMENTS

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Genocyber posted:

Guessing lasers generated by the screens? I thought his weapon was air bullets, but maybe it’s pure light (and Inuyashiki has his own laser array).

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Genocyber posted:

Well, considering how advanced the aliens seemed to be with their stuff about how the combat units they incarnated Inuyashiki and Hiro into could destroy the earth I would not be surprised if they are capable of manipulating energy in any way they desire at great distances. That whole sequence reminded me of the tech in Iain Banks's Culture books where the tech is advanced enough that a lot of it is pretty much magic as far as the characters are concerned, only the AIs that run everything can really understand the tech.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
It’s just alien magic

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I feel like I read this a long time ago and then forgot everything about it.

There Bias Two posted:

:mitt:

isme
Oct 13, 2004
ZombiePugs
Sorry, I am now on team Hiro after this episode. gently caress 2chan.

Aug 24, 2011

more stuff happened, and promises to continue happening

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, considering how advanced the aliens seemed to be with their stuff about how the combat units they incarnated Inuyashiki and Hiro into could destroy the earth I would not be surprised if they are capable of manipulating energy in any way they desire at great distances. That whole sequence reminded me of the tech in Iain Banks's Culture books where the tech is advanced enough that a lot of it is pretty much magic as far as the characters are concerned, only the AIs that run everything can really understand the tech.

Clarke's Third Law
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
What a nice episode :unsmith: Next week is going to be brutal. She is literally the last thing holding him back, so of course she has to die.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
This was a good episode and were this any other anime I could see an awesome redemption arc coming out of this. Instead I am prepared for more pretend machine gun

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It feels like the storytelling has gotten sloppier, lots of strands all going in different directions, unclear about the time and place events take place, and some weird subplot about Mari stalking the One Piece author's son to force him to divulge the mangaka secrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Phobophilia posted:

It feels like the storytelling has gotten sloppier, lots of strands all going in different directions, unclear about the time and place events take place, and some weird subplot about Mari stalking the One Piece author's son to force him to divulge the mangaka secrets.

This apparently only has 3 more episodes. I can't see this going anywhere but downhill.

• Locked thread