Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Lurks Morington posted:

When I was riding a schoolbus to one of my football games, one of my teammates started talking about the primordial soup theory of how life came into being. Everyone laughed and said he was a dirty heathen. I take classes where because I brought up Marx's connection to Utopia, I felt like I got major pushback. It kinda blows because I like talking about this stuff, but everyone gets mad when I do

Brand me with the starlet letter I don't know

VVV

Honky Dong Country posted:

Maybe don't give such a huge poo poo about other people's politics and instead try to find common ground to bond over and have a good time? You're gonna find huge idiots that don't agree with you no matter where you go.

The faster you get over shitheads having terrible political beliefs the better. You're going to meet some troglodyte at a water cooler in the future and he is going to say some awful things about muslims and that'll happen anywhere in america, from Tulsa, OK to Dearborn, MI. Nobody will loving care, you will have no recourse, and if you start poo poo you're going to be the one who has to deal with the fallout.

Keep your mouth shut, keep your head down, and if you need friends look for bastions of liberal politics. Your football team is definitely not the place to look for that. If you're in the south or southwest, where high school and college football is taken insanely seriously, most of these people are from conservative backgrounds and are probably where they are right now specifically because they are good at football, not because they are academic achievers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Honky Dong Country posted:

Then why did you even post this thread? The answer is to move. The way you sound in the OP especially with the (ugh I better just join the peace corps to escape conservative tar and feathering!) tends to indicate that you're mad that most the locals around you are conservative.

E: Like I get that moving costs money and isn't always easy, but that's the answer. And there are no mechanisms to help you move, dude. There's no such thing as a "get outta hicksville" grant or some poo poo.

^ ^ ^ ^

seriously OP there is nothing else we can tell you

i've lived and worked in conservative areas and liberal areas, it's the same poo poo everywhere. You will always have to be around assholes with different politics than you no matter where you are, and whether it's 45% or 65% of people it doesn't really make a difference, you're looking at a minimum of 4 out of 10 people being conservative just about anywhere you go. Maybe California would be better if you lived in the city but good luck paying for that with student loan debt. Places like Portland and Seattle seem appealing until you realize that the entire countryside surrounding both of those areas is filled with some of the craziest conservative motherfuckers on planet earth. Shitkickers don't move to other states, they just move out of the city.

Maybe you can be one of those people who moves to portland and tells themselves it's normal to pay $800 a month to live with 7 other people in a 1000sqft apartment, but if that's not appealing to you, get over it dude :shrug:

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 12, 2017

• Locked thread