Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Maybe don't give such a huge poo poo about other people's politics and instead try to find common ground to bond over and have a good time? You're gonna find huge idiots that don't agree with you no matter where you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

It's possible to care without freaking out because somebody said a "bad political thing." I'm moderate as hell and generally just don't talk politics with people for the most part. I find it's pretty easy to just go "Eh, I don't necessarily agree with you on that one" and if pressed for my opinion I follow up with "I'm not too big on talking politics, man." And then you talk about things that aren't politics.

Pretty simple.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lurker Ant posted:

Part of being an adult is realizing that your views are not sacrosanct and learning to put up with other people. If that's too hard for you, then maybe find an artist coven in SanFran to shack up with.

Or on the other side of the spectrum a doomsday prepper colony, but yeah I agree with this. I think it's unhealthy to give a real poo poo about somebody else's politics when you're both just average voters who both prolly have at least one lovely opinion about something. Who gives a gently caress.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lurks Morington posted:

I think you guys are projecting a little bit. My question was about societal mechanisms relating to political preferences.

Then why did you even post this thread? The answer is to move. The way you sound in the OP especially with the "ugh I better just join the peace corps to escape conservative tar and feathering!" tends to indicate that you're mad that most the locals around you are conservative.

E: Like I get that moving costs money and isn't always easy, but that's the answer. And there are no mechanisms to help you move, dude. There's no such thing as a "get outta hicksville" grant or some poo poo.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 12, 2017

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lurks Morington posted:

Okay cold war kids explain to me: star trek good; communists bad?

Both of the things you just posted are poo poo.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

COMRADES posted:

Whatever he can leave a shithole if he wants to drat.

:synpa:

That's kinda what people said once he made it clear that he was just looking for "then move away" as an answer.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Robert Red Rocket posted:

To be fair saying you don’t agree and then not actually giving an opinion at all is exactly what insufferable centrists do. If you’re going to say you disagree with something at least say why you don’t and then move on if the person becomes insistent that you’re wrong for said opinion.

Regarding the topic, unless you are being threatened or actually made unwelcome for being a filthy minority moving out just because you have different politics than others just seems like a very White Liberal thing to me.

Lol "insufferable centrists." In other words you completely missed my point, which was disagree with dumb poo poo and move the conversation away from political crap. Not getting mired in stupid politics when dealing with everyday people has absolutely nothing to do with what your political leanings are.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Blue Raider posted:

people that passionately discuss politics in person with other people have a type of autism that modern medicine cant heal

It's literally as bad as people preaching their religion to random strangers.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

So you're the idiot that brings up your stupid politics and then when someone has a rebuttal you pull out the old "let's not talk about politics" routine.

lol

I don't bring up politics with people. That's really dumb. Which is why I don't get engaged in those conversations.

Robert Red Rocket posted:

If you really don’t want to argue you can also move the conversation away without saying you disagree and putting the person with the opinions you disagree with in defensive mode. Works for me all the time when I talk to extremely opinionated people who want to inject their hot takes on something

I wrote that in response to the OP's "It's no fun not caring" or whatever post. The point was you can care, and even disagree with somebody spouting a political thing at you without having to engage in some dumb political discussion. "Nah I don't agree with that, I'm not very into talking politics with people" is a pretty reasonable way of handling things.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Senor Dog posted:

jesus you're lame

Being a huge baby worried about other people's politics is lame.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Senor Dog posted:

how about someone who can casually discuss it without gettin anxious or whatever your thing is

Almost nobody is capable of casually discussing politics.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Jose Mengelez posted:

creationism and racism are valid "political" beliefs, questioning them outside of the designated coastal education zones is needlessly confrontational.
please learn to live in the (six thousand year old) real world (until the rapture/rahowa, what ever comes first.)

Nobody is saying the things you're saying (including the retarded beliefs you're portraying). It takes an uncommon brand of stupid even among the ignorant and uneducated to just randomly spout poo poo like that off to strangers.

We're just talking about nerds like you that spend all their time clutching their pearls over people's politics tarnishing their purity by association instead of just treating people like a normal person.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 14, 2017

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'm sorry sir I simply can't associate with you until you answer some questions. Oh this? Heh, don't tell me this is your first time being subjected to a polygraph to verify your purity. Well fine then! You're obviously just some godamn young earth creationist Nazi and simply won't be getting my business. Good day sir!

*storms out of McDonalds*

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

COMRADES posted:

Holy poo poo thanks for posting this because I felt like I was taking crazy pills with all the posters just saying "stay in your shithole town and deal with it."

Plenty of people were saying to move. The OP knew he should just move. Discussion just moved more toward other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I think it's a little weird to compare opinions on war with opinions on street violence over politics.

• Locked thread