Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delicious sandwich
Nov 6, 2011

Wark Say posted:

:stare: No mercy whatsoever. So, that's two (three if we count the Boar getting taken apart for good) confirmed deaths this episode?
Are you assuming the Horse is dead? Considering he has some sort of defensive ability and they didn't show the conclusion of that fight, that seems unlikely (despite what the Chicken said at the end).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

jng2058 posted:

We'll have to see in her POV episode, but she sure seemed sincere all the way through. I'm guessing accident.

Nnnooope. So it looks like everyone here's some kind of bastard. I'm guessing Monkey drugged Chicken's drink in some way to encourage her to go off and die like she did. Killing peacefully is presumably "I find a way to get you to kill yourself."

jng2058 posted:

Spoilering speculation based on observational evidence for the sensitive. So, looking at the ED, with Boar and Dog being both the first two shown and the first two to die, I'm thinking it's possible that the appearance order in the ED is the order of death, meaning that Chicken will die next episode, and that the final battle will be Rat killing Ox.

Three for three, with Monkey next in reverse Zodiac, appearance in ED, and now being setup in the Next Time spot. That puts Sheep, Horse, and then whatever the heck they're doing with Snake and Dragon as the next few after that.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
3 for 3 is a pattern, and that's exactly why I think Monkey will not die next episode. If the Monogatari series and the first episode of this has taught me anything, it's that Nisioisin likes loving with your expectations. (Also why are we spoiler tagging speculation on the already aired episode?)

Also I said before that I probably won't watch this because I wasn't in the mood for a battle royale show, but this is just too good to pass up so far.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

3 for 3 is a pattern, and that's exactly why I think Monkey will not die next episode. If the Monogatari series and the first episode of this has taught me anything, it's that Nisioisin likes loving with your expectations. (Also why are we spoiler tagging speculation on the already aired episode?)

Habit. :shrug:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i think someones going to die every ep tbh

also hah, was totes right about the chicken

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Delicious sandwich posted:

Are you assuming the Horse is dead? Considering he has some sort of defensive ability and they didn't show the conclusion of that fight, that seems unlikely (despite what the Chicken said at the end).
Again: It's just a hunch. Given that Ox dude strikes me as a thorough kind of fella, and... y'know, all the blood (also, it'd make a funny parallel to the Stripper Rabbit wiping the blood off his knife after having just decapitated one of the Twins).

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Anime basically covered the same stuff this episode.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It wasn’t the drink that got Niwatori. She was aware that she was acting out of character before she even took a sip. Either Monkey is capable of mind-control, or she just hit her kryptonite - a bit of genuine kindness and sincerity for someone who’d been completely emotionally unprepared for them. She was likely correct about the One-Man Army drug affecting her, but it only opened a pre-existing fault-line in her psyche. She repeatedly mentions how hollow and purposeless she feels, after all.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

So something else occurs to me. Here's the Chinese Zodiac, presented in a wheel as it usually is:

We know from episode one, that last time Boar (Pig) won. What if the Old Boar has realized that it really is a cycle every time? That since he won last time, that the next winner will be Rat? In that case, his decision to name his psychotic daughter (who couldn't possibly live a "normal" life successfully) wasn't really about choosing the best chance to win, since there is none, but rather an attempt to spare the daughter who had a better chance of a future by sacrificing the clearly damaged one? Which makes it that much more tragic that Current Boar went behind his back to arrange for her sister's suicide...and ended up dying first, as her father may have known she would.

Which suggests...

ViggyNash posted:

3 for 3 is a pattern, and that's exactly why I think Monkey will not die next episode. If the Monogatari series and the first episode of this has taught me anything, it's that Nisioisin likes loving with your expectations.

...may be correct. Since if anyone's going to recognize the pattern and look for a way to subvert it, it'll be Monkey.

If she can.

After all, since there really is magic in this world, this could be a "Cabin in the Woods" type scenario where everything depends on the avatars of the Zodiac all dying in the right order every contest, and there may well be serious magic that ensures this is the case.

e: Oh, and if Monkey does bite it next episode, I'm wagering it'll be Ox who kills her, thus giving added motivation for Rat to be the one who kills Ox in the finale.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 18, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

didn't boar name his successor before she was driven insane by her jealous sister?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

didn't boar name his successor before she was driven insane by her jealous sister?

She casually murdered animals and the like well before that. Her sister just brought the pre-existing crazy further out.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

She casually murdered animals and the like well before that. Her sister just brought the pre-existing crazy further out.

i mean this is a tournament full of mentally unhinged people, i don't think default mode for the little sister was bad enough to throw her in as some sort of sacrifice. you could argue it was seen more as a strong point, even.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

If Boar Dad knew that whichever daughter he sent was going to be killed because of fate or whatever, his choice of the younger daughter is fairly interesting.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
so far the episode order is also going with the order in which the characters were in that rap battle video posted, suggesting the last two were ox at rat

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

an actual dog posted:

If Boar Dad knew that whichever daughter he sent was going to be killed because of fate or whatever, his choice of the younger daughter is fairly interesting.
I think he saw an opportunity to cut his losses because he thought "Hey, my older daughter seems to have her poo poo together. Might as well send in the creepy, critter-killing one", while cruel, Boar Dad strikes me more as a "Ruthlessly Pragmatic, Cutthroat Merc" instead of a "Pointlessly Cruel Fuckabout". How unfortunate for the guy that the older sister changed into the latter out of some false sense of being the "rejected one".

Then again, this could be that old *cough hack* trope about lack of communication turning this into a bigger deal than it was, which is unfortunately a device so typical of fiction that even someone like Nisio should know better by now.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Wark Say posted:

I think he saw an opportunity to cut his losses because he thought "Hey, my older daughter seems to have her poo poo together. Might as well send in the creepy, critter-killing one", while cruel, Boar Dad strikes me more as a "Ruthlessly Pragmatic, Cutthroat Merc" instead of a "Pointlessly Cruel Fuckabout". How unfortunate for the guy that the older sister changed into the latter out of some false sense of being the "rejected one".

Then again, this could be that old *cough hack* trope about lack of communication turning this into a bigger deal than it was, which is unfortunately a device so typical of fiction that even someone like Nisio should know better by now.

Yea exactly. I'm not super bothered by the lack of communication thing just because this is a magical battle royale he might not have been able to explain.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

jng2058 posted:

Nnnooope. So it looks like everyone here's some kind of bastard. I'm guessing Monkey drugged Chicken's drink in some way to encourage her to go off and die like she did. Killing peacefully is presumably "I find a way to get you to kill yourself."

Where have you seen this? None of the released material so far supports this as far as I know. Every character has some paranormal ability. Hers could easily be a type of overpowering charisma that just works all the time passively on everyone she meets.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I trust Monkey. She is a good person and my friend.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Zodiac personality writeups so far:

quote:

Those born under the Chinese Zodiac sign of the Pig are extremely nice, good-mannered and tasteful. They’re perfectionists who enjoy finer things but are not perceived as snobs. They enjoy helping others and are good companions until someone close crosses them, then look out! They’re intelligent, always seeking more knowledge, and exclusive. Compatible with Rabbit or Goat and incompatible with the Monkey and Snake.

quote:

Those born under the Chinese Zodiac sign of the Dog are loyal, faithful, honest, distrustful, often guilty of telling white lies, temperamental, prone to mood swings, dogmatic, and sensitive. Dogs excel in business but have trouble finding mates. Compatible with Tiger or Horse and incompatible with the Rooster and Dragon.

quote:

Those born under the Chinese Zodiac sign of the Rooster are practical, resourceful, observant, analytical, straightforward, trusting, honest, perfectionists, neat and conservative. Compatible with Ox or Snake and most incompatible with a Goat and a Rabbit.

The Monkey one, meanwhile, is... interesting.

quote:

Those born under the Chinese Zodiac sign of the Monkey thrive on having fun. They’re energetic, upbeat, and good at listening but lack self-control. They like being active and stimulated and enjoy pleasing self before pleasing others. They’re heart-breakers, not good at long-term relationships, morals are weak. Compatible with Rat or Dragon and incompatible with a Horse or Snake.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm glad Chicken was a mastermind the entire time, I do enjoy the backstories of them being powerful and competent. Unless Monkey is revealed to have some power of suggestion, I'm gonna say that Monkey tapped into some kindness in Chicken by appearing completely vulnerable and trust. Still dont trust her tho.

There's also no way Horse is dead. We've seen every death on screen so far or at least the result of it. Ox's very first move against Chicken is to stab her through the brain by way of the eye and Horse held his own so he's fiiiine. I like Ox being painted as the "antagonist" of the game aside from Rabbit

The idea of this being a constant loop is interesting and fitting but I'm still not sure HOW fantasy this is gonna go, cool idea tho

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, if the zodiac race keeps panning out, her dying early (but passing on her ideals to others) seems like a natural option to keep the conflict going but still offer a little hope.

For the record, I may have found some decent Chinese zodiac personality profiles.

Darth Walrus posted:

Zodiac personality writeups so far

The Monkey one, meanwhile, is... interesting.

These seem as good a source as any, I'll put them in the OP later tonight. Thank you!

I'd like to put abilities in the OP too but the Rabbit Necromancy reveal is very good

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If this was a fighting video-game (and I wouldn't put it past Nisio to make parallels; see Chicken's references to having her stats Maxed Out "like an RPG"), I would go as far as to say that Ox strikes me less like an antagonist and more as the "SF3-era Ryu" of the bunch: Not the oldest, but definitely a veteran in the field who knows the name of the game, other fighters know a lot about him by name / reputation alone, and he seems to find himself more comfortable while during a scrap. Also, a passion for his craft under a relatively stoic veneer.

Basically, while Rat and Monkey appear to be the protagonists, Ox would be the relatively vanilla "spirited protagonist" under normal circumstances.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
I was really hoping Boar would have more to do before being written out, even in that state. :(

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I suspect that most people have caught on to this but just in case: I love the structure of this series, where every episode starts by building up a character as an incredible badass before putting them in a situation where they those strengths become weaknesses and they get killed. I have no idea how Monkey is gonna gently caress up but I'm looking forward to it.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
What really played at my heartstrings this episode (and yes, I know and agree that it's stupid) was how much Tori wanted her convenience store rice ball, and that, as far as we know, she never got to eat it.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

an actual dog posted:

I suspect that most people have caught on to this but just in case: I love the structure of this series, where every episode starts by building up a character as an incredible badass before putting them in a situation where they those strengths become weaknesses and they get killed. I have no idea how Monkey is gonna gently caress up but I'm looking forward to it.

My wild guess is you can't charisma someone to death when they're already dead let alone when they're missing a head. :zombie:

It appears so far that everyone is dying to someone that they are or aren't compatible with. What the correlation between compatibility and incompatibility is? I'm not sure if there is except that so far the pattern appears to be alternating hence my guess.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I want Monkey to be genuine just because it would actually be more cliche if she were tricking everyone and up to no good.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think she's a good person but perhaps not all that forthcoming about her true capabilities and desires. We know she is willing to take drastic actions such as "safely" blowing up the floor as a negotiation reset.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My daughter is a devout follower of the 3-ep test so she decided to give this a go and after watching it she told me this "Wait, is Nisio trying to court Suda51 or something?". I probably should've waited until I was at home to read it, because I let a reasonably loud chuckle out when I read her message.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

I think she's a good person but perhaps not all that forthcoming about her true capabilities and desires. We know she is willing to take drastic actions such as "safely" blowing up the floor as a negotiation reset.

I like the idea of her being someone who has good intentions but also isn't naive and realizes that a lot of these folks are gonna try and kill everyone no matter what and has prepared countermeasures for those situations (like blowing up the floor).

Also, I think that she could reasonably assume that the sort of people participating in this competition could survive something like the floor being blown up (which, well, they did).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, even the guy that's technically a Zombie was no worse for wear. It's not a thing any of these folks would lose their heads over.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Mindblast posted:

Where have you seen this? None of the released material so far supports this as far as I know. Every character has some paranormal ability. Hers could easily be a type of overpowering charisma that just works all the time passively on everyone she meets.

It was just a guess since Chicken really lost control of herself after she drank Monkey's coffee. Monkey could have stupid high magic charm spell or some such, but since she had had her back to chicken while she prepared the coffee, it would have been pretty easy to drug it, then hand it to poor conflicted Chicken, thus sending her to her death. Either way, it's pretty much "Go die for me".

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
She lost control of herself before drinking it, though. She was willingly telling Monkey intel she had while simultaneously thinking "why am I saying this? What the hell"

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Wark Say posted:

My daughter is a devout follower of the 3-ep test so she decided to give this a go and after watching it she told me this "Wait, is Nisio trying to court Suda51 or something?". I probably should've waited until I was at home to read it, because I let a reasonably loud chuckle out when I read her message.

I really, really want a joint NisioisiN/Suda51 project to be a thing now.

I'd really like to learn more about the abilities of warriors in other rounds of the battle royale as well, since this time they seem a bit too on the nose.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I don't know about any of this stuff, or rather I do but can't say, because I just finished reading the novel, which was a nice quick read and an excellent translation.

What I do want to say is that I really wish all of NISIOISIN's other novels could get translations that appear instantly on the ebook stores, but apparently that's too much to ask.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
This show is good and fun

Regarding Monkey, I would be surprised if she turned out to be villainous. Boar seemed to despise her, seemingly on the grounds that they were very different people, and given that Boar was a psycho it suggests to me that Monkey is probably genuinely good for the most part.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

drat they broke the trend

also i totally forgot about tiger's existence until this ep

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Raised/trained in the ways of alchemy by monkey furries is not the backstory I was expecting, but I'll roll w it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Dragonatrix posted:

She lost control of herself before drinking it, though. She was willingly telling Monkey intel she had while simultaneously thinking "why am I saying this? What the hell"

I guess now that this part of the story is over, I can mention that the book seems to put it down to Dog's poison, in that once the venom boosted her mental capacity to peak, she was no longer able to maintain a mindset without empathy.

Unfortunately, she didn't have the social skills necessary to be part of an alliance, so she just wound up being very bad at being a lone wolf.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

drat this show is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Davincie posted:

drat they broke the trend

Only in that no one died at all. But of course, they did have a spare episode since technically Snake and Boar both died in episode one so Monkey could still die next ep and keep the sequence order intact.

Davincie posted:

also i totally forgot about tiger's existence until this ep

Yeah, she and Dragon have been the quietest so far.

Pootybutt posted:

Raised/trained in the ways of alchemy by monkey furries is not the backstory I was expecting, but I'll roll w it.

Yeah....that wasn't what I expected. But what the hell, they've already got a Necromancer, Monkey's background really just fits in.

• Locked thread