Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

i want to flee the capitalist life. humanity's worship of the golden calf is driving us to extinction. i want to be part of the survivor species, however i have no idea how to do it without money, which i won't allow in any of its many forms to touch my virgin hands

i have skills in farming - i can raise my own animals and grow my own crops. however i need to buy some sort of pre-constructed shelter. how do i afford this without entering the capitalist system? my only real skill is raising chickens, my secret being to nurture them with so much love and stimulated natural environs that they go broody and raise their own children until i have a functional chicken city under my control. this obviously gives me more eggs than i could ever possibly need, as well as other chicken byproducts like feathers and poo. at the moment i have no chickens but i could easily set up a secluded growing operation in a national park somewhere.

please don't give any suggestions that involve a transfer of money. barter is fine. i won't trade sex for anything but like i said before, limitless eggs, and enthusiasm and human kindness

the old ceremony fucked around with this message at Oct 12, 2017 around 08:37

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Steal things.

Feb 2, 2016

Come into my windowless van and ill show you.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

I can help you but it'll cost ya

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW I GHOULISHLY CELEBRATE THE DEATH OF CHILDREN TO TEACH THEIR PARENTS "A LESSON"

i know eggactly what you need, but i'll have egg on my face unless i receive some eggs

LOVE LOVE SKELETON
Nov 11, 2007

that's the sound of the beast

raise a pack of chickens, then live among them in the woods.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

A redheaded hussy who ought to be smacked and sent to bed without her supper

the old ceremony posted:

i want to flee the capitalist life. humanity's worship of the golden calf is driving us to extinction. i want to be part of the survivor species, however i have no idea how to do it without money, which i won't allow in any of its many forms to touch my virgin hands

i have skills in farming - i can raise my own animals and grow my own crops. however i need to buy some sort of pre-constructed shelter. how do i afford this without entering the capitalist system? my only real skill is raising chickens, my secret being to nurture them with so much love and stimulated natural environs that they go broody and raise their own children until i have a functional chicken city under my control. this obviously gives me more eggs than i could ever possibly need, as well as other chicken byproducts like feathers and poo. at the moment i have no chickens but i could easily set up a secluded growing operation in a national park somewhere.

please don't give any suggestions that involve a transfer of money. barter is fine. i won't trade sex for anything but like i said before, limitless eggs, and enthusiasm and human kindness

This really belongs in Ask/Tell, parachute/reregged account.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

First you need to launch a kickstarter for your website

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

you people are useless. get out of my house

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

- hi

I suggest selling your laboring time to get enough money to set up your life as you'd want it.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

They weren't just hull numbers, they were our home addresses. Now the old neighborhood is torn down and gone and all that is left are memories.

the old ceremony posted:

barter is fine. i won't trade sex for anything but like i said before, limitless eggs, and enthusiasm and human kindness

Bartering is still a minor form of capitalism. Trading enthusiasm and human kindness is a form of emotional prostitution. Also capitalism.

Your best bet is to become one of those people that survive only off the energy of the sun.

Basically, become a plant.

false flag post-op
May 13, 2009

Enjoy Every Sandvich

the old ceremony posted:

It's our house now, clucker.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

A redheaded hussy who ought to be smacked and sent to bed without her supper

the old ceremony posted:

false flag post-op posted:

It's our house now, clucker.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010

Get in on that super cool TGRS donation thing wherein you get money from goons to buy a new gaming P.C.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Maybe give WWOOF a shot?

http://wwoof.net

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

But it soon became quite clear that while losers flourished everywhere, winners were a rare and reticent breed with preferences for camouflage and anonymity.

Biscuit Hider

Who Is Paul Blart posted:

Get in on that super cool TGRS donation thing wherein you get money from goons to buy a new gaming P.C.

In a shocking development that already collapsed and the thread was removed.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://twitter.com/DeanDobbs/status/909619950519758850

Caufman
May 7, 2007

the old ceremony posted:

Is it important to you that you own your own farm/property immediately? I'm wondering if there isn't intermediary steps that can open up new possibilities for you. Off the top of my head, would you consider being a farmhand on someone else's farm if you can't get your shelter together in a timely way? Yes, you would still be trading your labor for cash, but you will also get in contact with more and more people who farm, and you can sift for the ones who have anti-capitalist values who could more directly help you than we can on your quest to have your own farm

Nijinsky Hind
Apr 26, 2008

90% serious avatar

Join a revolutionary party

Nijinsky Hind
Apr 26, 2008

90% serious avatar

Xenocides posted:

Bartering is still a minor form of capitalism. Trading enthusiasm and human kindness is a form of emotional prostitution. Also capitalism.

Your best bet is to become one of those people that survive only off the energy of the sun.

Basically, become a plant.

Not even close. Capitalism is a mode of production. Bartering in itself has nothing to do with production.

Nijinsky Hind
Apr 26, 2008

90% serious avatar

OP the only way you can resist capitalism is by becoming part of a revolutionary movement to overthrow the state and disrupt capitalist production. I don't know how legal subsistance farming is, or how effective you'd be living off of whatever crops you decide to feed yourself with. You'd need a ton of land & equipment & possibly some livestock to help you work it, and that all costs boatloads of money. There's no way you'd afford it unless you give into capitalism and acquire some substantial wealth, or somehow go Mad Max and claim plots of land & equipment as your own & fight anyone who tries to take it from you. The only way to escape capitalism is as part of the masses.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Assuming yr serious, here's a directory of communes, which can be a great way to get out of system for a while. https://www.ic.org/directory/communes/

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Not really answering your desire to flee capitalism but have you tried Egg, Inc. ?

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Shoombo posted:

Assuming yr serious, here's a directory of communes, which can be a great way to get out of system for a while. https://www.ic.org/directory/communes/

Some communes can be picky and exclude you for reasons such as gender (often too many males, not enough females). Most communes aren't really sustainable long term -- children that grow up in a commune tend to reimmerse themselves in society and don't stay to support their aging commune parents -- but if you need an extreme respite from capitalism, definitely give this lifestyle a shot!

On a smaller scale, I would recommend volunteering and investing time and effort into your local community. You may live in a capitalistic society, but the bottom line is that society is comprised of actual human beings. Volunteering is a good reminder of this.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

AWarmBody posted:

Some communes can be picky and exclude you for reasons such as gender (often too many males, not enough females). Most communes aren't really sustainable long term -- children that grow up in a commune tend to reimmerse themselves in society and don't stay to support their aging commune parents -- but if you need an extreme respite from capitalism, definitely give this lifestyle a shot!

On a smaller scale, I would recommend volunteering and investing time and effort into your local community. You may live in a capitalistic society, but the bottom line is that society is comprised of actual human beings. Volunteering is a good reminder of this.

Oh yeah, I've known multiple people who've lived in communes, none of them on a long term basis. They all seem to consider there time at them therapeutic though.

Absolutely long term the way to get out of capitalism is to volunteer in your own community. Mutual aid does wonders for the soul, and establishing resource sovereignty will allow yr community to have a better chance after the inevitable collapse of capitalism.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

GOOD BOY

become a monk

Peetown Manning
Jan 21, 2017

The truth is you have to get so good at capitalism that you can go beyond the paradigm in the first place. hth

cda
Jan 2, 2010

HAIKUDICATOR

Avshalom?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Stop showering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002
Deep beneath the subatomic threshold lurks a mysterious force from whence man and beast sprang forth, as one. Evolved from the blood of the ancients, in the tradition of Ang & Chang with a little Wang Chung sauce... Tenacious J.

Fill a bathtub with egg yolks and see how that feels