Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
That video was certainly something. Congratulations on beating the second boss, Phantoon. Supposedly he was draining power from the wrecked ship, so now he's dead, things are working again.

As for the end of the video... I'll keep it vague, but in the interest of not getting you stuck...

The wall jump out of the water was not the intended solution to that problem. Wall jumps are a 'secret technique' and the only room you're required to use them in is the one with the wall-jumping animals. This is double so for wall-jumping up a single wall and flipping back on yourself, which is never required.

Congratulations on your first sequence break! You've skipped an upgrade that would have let you handle that more easily, and since the game now expects you to have it, you can get stuck wihout it. And you closed the chat too, I bet they were screaming at you at that point.

You nearly got a sequence break a few videos ago too, trying to single-wall-jump out the spike pit to where you found the wave beam, but at the time you just died.

The game expected you to need the grapple beam, which in turn needed power bombs, speed booster and ice beam to unlock. With the wave beam however, you can open one of those one-way security-pillar things from the outside, and get down to the grapple beam before you have the power bombs or speed booster to clear the way to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I think at the end it was just wonky collision when the platform started rising, you clipped through it a bit. It was still kind of a dick move on the game's part, though.

And yeah, you're better at walljumps than you give yourself credit for, for better or for worse. :v:

idhrendur posted:

advertisement

:staredog:

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

The 90s were certainly a time. I seem to recall this fit advertising (at least video game advertising) of the era.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 7: Is this the end (of chat)?

A mechanics spoiler in the stream chat led to an argument about spoilers, with some people saying it's rude of me to ask people not to spoil things when I'm playing blind.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I'm really enjoying the irony.

"I should go through the locked doors before crossing the one-way barrier." (does not go through any locked doors) "Why are there no map stations or save points in this game?"

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

That's one thing I will say I miss about Metroid 2. In that game, save pillars didn't have rooms dedicated to them, and they placed at least one directly in your path early on in each area. It's really frustrating to go through every door except the helpful ones.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
Every time you come across a "one-way door", I notice that you seem hesitant to open them. They are only one-way in the sense that they can be opened from only one side, but they don't close again after. Once you open them, you can come back through any time.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 8: "I hate this place."

Wrecked Ship and Maridia are terrible and probably bad enough to keep me from replaying this game after I finish this.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I watched the previous episode earlier today and was just about to come say that Maridia really pushed me into the "Super Metroid isn't as good as people say it is" camp. It's sad how so few games feature good water-based levels, you would think that after a couple decades someone would have cracked the code!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 9: I love the Space Jump

Space Jump solves so many problems, when it decides to work.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I had no idea you could kill that boss that way, since I've only seen people speed run SM and they always just shoot super missiles into its weak spot until it dies.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 10: "Screw Attack is better than guns"

Whether this is because Screw Attack is broken or the guns suck because I missed an upgrade, I leave to the thread to tell me.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Looks like you missed the Plasma Beam. Having it makes lower Norfair about a million times easier.

e: That's not to say that the Screw Attack isn't broken as hell, because it is.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 27, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Since you already speculated on it in-video, yeah the Plasma Beam and Spring Ball and both in Maridia, and are actually in places that were revealed when you got that area's map data.

I feel like you were supposed to need either Plasma Beam or Spring Ball (or both!) to get past those green roly-poly guys on the way to the Maridia boss (the ones that you kept bomb-jumping over) so congrats on the unintentional sequence break I guess.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

C-Euro posted:

Since you already speculated on it in-video, yeah the Plasma Beam and Spring Ball and both in Maridia, and are actually in places that were revealed when you got that area's map data.

I feel like you were supposed to need either Plasma Beam or Spring Ball (or both!) to get past those green roly-poly guys on the way to the Maridia boss (the ones that you kept bomb-jumping over) so congrats on the unintentional sequence break I guess.

I seem to recall just walking up to get them moving, then waiting for them to fall off the other side. It's easier than bomb jumping, but takes longer.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Getting past those guys is definitely not a sequence break, since that's the missile fill-up on the way to the boss that gives you the upgrade you generally need to get either of the upgrades listed as ways to get past them. I think it's meant to slow you down and add to your completion time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah I will totally cop to being wrong about needing those upgrades to get past that, it's been several years since I've played this game. I actually managed to get a Classic today and this LP is making me want to take a second pass on this game, even though I'm way lower on it than most people.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 11: I guess I killed the animals

I don't know how Nintendo Power got such a long comic out of so little plot, but I'm guessing it involved making stuff up.

So that'll do it for this LP I guess. I'm sure as hell not replaying Maridia anytime soon, so no 100% run from me. Thanks everyone for watching!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

No, thank you.

One thing I wanted to bring up but didn't yet because you asked for no spoilers is that... well, you figured out soon enough that bombs reveal which blocks are destructible and what weapon you need to get rid of them, right? Before you had the X-ray thing, Power Bombs of course did the same thing, but for the entire range of the bomb at once. That's possibly the most useful thing power bombs can do: reveal all secrets everywhere, and blow them up too. I don't think you ever found that use.

Oh well, the X-ray scope kinda replaced that function anyway.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Maybe I just didn't try them in enough places, but Power Bombs seem like a waste of a powerup. They only kill enemies that are trivial to kill anyway so it's not great as a room clearer, and bosses never seemed to take damage from them. They ended up just feeling like a thing you use when you need to open a specific lock rather than a weapon or tool.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Do attacks that don't make the bosses flash white actually do any damage? It seems weird that they would flash for some effective hits but not others, but it also seems weird to let the player waste most of their missiles for the crime of pushing the button too fast, instead of just limiting the fire rate.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Sindai posted:

Do attacks that don't make the bosses flash white actually do any damage? It seems weird that they would flash for some effective hits but not others, but it also seems weird to let the player waste most of their missiles for the crime of pushing the button too fast, instead of just limiting the fire rate.
They always flash when actually damaged. The only way you wouldn't be seeing a flash on hit is because you'd be watching in 30fps and not see the flash sometimes. There's not really any such thing as "too fast" when it comes to hitting things.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Cheez posted:

They always flash when actually damaged. The only way you wouldn't be seeing a flash on hit is because you'd be watching in 30fps
Huh, didn't think they were that short, but that explains it.

EDIT: Oh, it flashes every other frame for several frames, so on 30 fps either it turns solid white for a few frames or disappears, depending on whether it happened to start on an even or odd frame.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Since you seemed confused by it in the video, the big Metroid at the end is supposed to be the baby Metroid from the intro. That's why it saves you at the end there. It's not really spelled out other than "broken containment tank in Ridley's room" and "doesn't kill you on sight".

Anyway, good job. I think this game is a slog the first time you play through it even if you've played other Metroid games, but in watching this I think the game is a little better than how I initially pegged it.

CirclMastr posted:

Maybe I just didn't try them in enough places, but Power Bombs seem like a waste of a powerup. They only kill enemies that are trivial to kill anyway so it's not great as a room clearer, and bosses never seemed to take damage from them. They ended up just feeling like a thing you use when you need to open a specific lock rather than a weapon or tool.

The game gives you way more than necessary too, I think they wanted you to use them way more often.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The animals are all dead :(

• Locked thread