Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Lolie posted:

Crystal meth is no longer regarded as a "gutter drug" here and although it hasn't happened yet, I suspect that eventually we're going to see some kind of "started on ADHD drugs" narrative (prescription amphetamines have been abused since Adam was a pup), with some measure of blame laid at the feet of both pharmaceutical companies and doctors who overdiagnose ADHD.

A buddy of mine claimed to have started on ADHD medicine, but when he moved states, lost his insurance, and couldn’t get his normal adderall script, he started smoking meth every once in awhile to “balance” himself out. I’m sure it was just his bullshit way to excuse the fact that he become a full blown addict, but at this point it doesn’t matter because after basically melting down into a deep state of paranoia, he played Russian Roulette with a 38 special and blew half of his head off (almost a year ago to the day now that I think about it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Mirthless posted:

i'm a lot happier of a person after trying MDMA, shrooms and LSD. I use them very seldom but I wouldn't trade those experiences for the world. I think MDMA should probably mostly only see use as a therapeutic drug because there is some addiction potential and brain damage is a long term consequence of use (from chronic/over use) but it's bizarre that LSD and Shrooms are schedule 1 when they shouldn't be scheduled at all. Psychedelics can be very humbling and some people really need that. Ego death changed the way I viewed the world on a fundamental level. I think everybody should get to experience that, at least once.

They are going to reschedule MDMA and psilocybin for PTSD and treatment resistant depression. The human trials are already in the pipeline.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What does "cancer pain" feel like?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Oxy and percocet are essentially the same thing dummy the only difference is dosage and delivery

I know, but I was kind of continuing on the 'opioids don't seem to do anything for me' 'you probably just got percocet, not 'the strongest painkiller of all'' with a 'yeah, even percocet and oxy are majorly different in strength (and oxy is far from 'THE STRONGEST')', but I guess I didn't convey it very well because I'm dumb, and it was pretty redundant.

Sorry.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Jim Barris posted:

What happened is that doctor was blowing smoke and I'm guessing gave you some variant of Percocet. Opana is the strongest pain pill I can think of and theres no way to take it where one could describe it as "non-euphoric". Funnily enough considering the thread topic fentanyl fits the description rather well as it is very much not particularly euphroic. But they don't make fent pills.

Not everyone gets euphoria from opiates/opioids. I've had IV morphine and IV fentanyl in a medical setting and they were both distinctly unpleasant to the extent that I'd rather avoid having them in the future. Oral codeine and oral oxycodone both take away pain for me without making me feel awful. IM meperidine doesn't even work to relieve pain and makes me feel awful into the bargain.

I sometimes think the way different people experience the same drug is overlooked when trying to understand addiction in general. We know that about 10% of people using drugs recreationally will become addicted (and that's a figure which has been consistent over a very long period), but we treat that as information which is somehow unimportant.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Lolie posted:

Not everyone gets euphoria from opiates/opioids. I've had IV morphine and IV fentanyl in a medical setting and they were both distinctly unpleasant to the extent that I'd rather avoid having them in the future. Oral codeine and oral oxycodone both take away pain for me without making me feel awful. IM meperidine doesn't even work to relieve pain and makes me feel awful into the bargain.

I sometimes think the way different people experience the same drug is overlooked when trying to understand addiction in general. We know that about 10% of people using drugs recreationally will become addicted (and that's a figure which has been consistent over a very long period), but we treat that as information which is somehow unimportant.

IV morphine is similar for me, I find it profoundly unpleasant. It feels awful when it's injected and it makes my stomach churn. It also lasts about 3 hours before it wears off which I understand is faster than expected. I don't really understand recreational use of opiates, codeine feels decent but my antidepressant (wellbutrin) dulls the effect substantially. Dilaudid was great on a push-button drip though.

I know opiates aren't for me based on my experiences in a hospital setting. It does not take long before the side effects outstrip the recreational benefits completely. The itching is really the worst part of it all.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 14, 2017

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mirthless posted:

IV morphine is similar for me, I find it profoundly unpleasant. It feels awful when it's injected and it makes my stomach churn. It also lasts about 3 hours before it wears off which I understand is faster than expected. I don't really understand recreational use of opiates, codeine feels decent but my antidepressant (wellbutrin) dulls the effect substantially. Dilaudid was great on a push-button drip though.

I know opiates aren't for me based on my experiences in a hospital setting. It does not take long before the side effects outstrip the recreational benefits completely. The itching is really the worst part of it all.

What other drugs are you on?

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
im high on LIFE

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

Well be it oxycodone, methadone, benzos or the occasional mdma or amphetamines I doubt I'd be a functioning member of the society, nor would I be paying taxes like hell. Doctors were never of any help re: anxiety and depression. The medicines like SNRI and other poo poo I went through nearly destroyed the career I had built for myself over the years. I'm a northern Euroopan and I can say with confidence the doctors be it government healthcare or private sector, mostly have no clue as to what they're doing. Can't say I blame them for all of it since they make decisions based on a 20 minute meeting with a total stranger.

But yeah the opiate euphoria, not all opiates give a noticeable high. Like methadone, you might get a small fuzzy feeling, feel tired (or die If you're dumb) but mostly it's really a pain relief or your on a program to taper down on other styff. Oxy etc gives the euphoria, also your tolerance builds up ridiculously fast.

I'd hate to be an alcoholic, though. That one is just so messy.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

What other drugs are you on?

Did you just miss the part where I said "in a hospital setting"? Or were you willfully ignoring it?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Have Blue posted:

im high on LIFE

i thought you couldn't patent LIFE as a name for your pharmaceuticals but hey

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Mirthless posted:

IV morphine is similar for me, I find it profoundly unpleasant. It feels awful when it's injected and it makes my stomach churn.

I've never gotten nauseated or itchy from an opiate/opioid, but morphine gives me a killer headache which lasts well beyond its analgesic effect on the acute pain for which it's been given.

From reading TCC, a lot of people do get the unpleasant side effects using opiates recreationally but because they also get the nice effects they've come to associate them with an enjoyable payoff. If you've never had that nice payoff, it's easy to see why you'd be disinclined to try using them recreationally.

I get the appeal in the abstract sense. I don't disbelieve people when they say a specific class of drugs makes them feel good. It's just not true for everyone . If it was, then you wouldn't have people who love uppers but can't stand downers, or vice versa.

The lack of predictable, universal response also makes pain management in a medical setting challenging.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mirthless posted:

Did you just miss the part where I said "in a hospital setting"? Or were you willfully ignoring it?

You just said you were on antidepressants and also LSD and a whole bunch of other stuff

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Mirthless posted:

yeah, mandatory executions for having drugs, that's definitely a success story we should emulate :rolleyes:

It fixes the problem permanently.

A bullet in the head for the dealers and mandatory rehab for the addicts and if it doesn't stick then they get culled too.

Cheap and 100% effective and you don't have to change the rules of society and dress up statistics to pretend making a bunch of illegal poo poo legal is a good idea.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

spudsbuckley posted:

It fixes the problem permanently.

A bullet in the head for the dealers and mandatory rehab for the addicts and if it doesn't stick then they get culled too.

But other countries try this approach and Singapore, the country barely bigger than Oklahoma City with a population half as large as NYC is the only one that can pull it off successfully. Hmmm. I wonder why that might be?

spudsbuckley posted:

Cheap and 100% effective and you don't have to change the rules of society and dress up statistics to pretend making a bunch of illegal poo poo legal is a good idea.

you would have to rewrite the constitution to do what Singapore does here.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 15, 2017

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I like weed

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

yeah ok calm down bro

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
My wife was on fentanyl patches for extreme pain when she was pregnant with twins and had an interuterine tumor the size of a literal volleyball. Ive posted about this a lot

I had to wear gloves while administering the patches. One time I picked up a patch, still in its packaging, opened it up, said "oh dang i forgot to put on gloves" put the patch down and put on gloves. I touched it with my fingertips for maybe 5 seconds max

30 minutes later i laid down, woozy, and slept 8 hours in the middle of the day. Im a 210 pound man who has pretty deec drug tolerance.

poo poo be strong

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
They give these out at my dentist's office. I like the root beer flavor most.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The fent patches have warnings on them to not fall asleep on top of the patch or take a shower with one on. A single patch lasts 72 hours and if they get hot from being slept on or hot shower water they release too much fent and you die.

Fun times!

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wouldn't that be bad for the twins

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ein cooler Typ posted:

No, I don't think opioids have any direct effects on breast tissue

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

sincx posted:

So this is how the opioid crisis started.

While doing some research, I saw this today:

https://www.fda.gov/iceci/criminalinvestigations/ucm260715.htm

Apparently in the 2000s pharma companies literally put fentanyl in a lollipop. It was only supposed to be used for relief of cancer pain, but the company that made it sent sales reps to doctors offices flogging it for everything, including "such maladies as migraines, sickle-cell pain crises, injuries, and in anticipation of changing wound dressings or radiation therapy."

So the doctor would end up literally giving you a fentanyl lollipop for complaining about headaches.

And of course this incredibly illegal behavior was just settled with a slap-on-the-wrist fine and no one even went close to a jail. While normal folks get life in prison for selling a tiny bit of crack. gently caress these people. (End rant)

the pharma comapnies cut off your supply.

the dea is invetigatng

youre in dts

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
man im trying to remember the name of the drug i got after surgery one time. every part of me felt incredibly heavy and it made me feel sick to try to move. it must have been effective in eliminating the pain because i couldnt feel a thing though. recreationally i wouldnt enjoy it

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Right? You'd think being born literally addicted to super-heroin would impact the babies. But the doctors were so nonchalant, "we'll just put them on fentanyl and slowly lower the dosage."
That's what they did, and it worked totally fine, even with babies that weighed 2 and 3 pounds. 5 years later the twins show no delays nor defecr. I've read that, every ten years since the 1970's, neonatal technology has gone up a magnitude in terms of effectiveness, and I can believe it.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Drunk Nerds posted:

being born literally addicted to super-heroin
im against it

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

gary oldmans diary posted:

man im trying to remember the name of the drug i got after surgery one time. every part of me felt incredibly heavy and it made me feel sick to try to move. it must have been effective in eliminating the pain because i couldnt feel a thing though. recreationally i wouldnt enjoy it

Not feeling anything is often the point, tragically.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Mirthless posted:

that's not an answer.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Mirthless posted:

available in doses up to 1600mcg

yeah, but, uh, what if it gets stuck?

"poo poo happens". You get what you get in that situation.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

gary oldmans diary posted:

I know that feeling. Sounds like you were "high on life."

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
sawbones, a medical history podcast recommended by some other goons, talks about the opiod crisis, and one of the things they pointed out was that america dealt with drug addiction was with other drugs. we treated alcoholism with morphine, morphine with cocaine, cocaine with heroin.. it was assumed that these new drugs were non addictive. some drug company gave out samples via the mail.

i think largely the issue in america is we still see addiction as a moral failing vs a disease. i think drug clinics and government addiction facilities would be a good thing to combat addiction, but that doesnt seem popular right now.

i also think that denying any substance research opportunity is dumb. (schedule 1 drugs). i think drugs should lean towards being legal, mainly because we can regulate them. humans have been doing drugs forever, we are going to continue doing them. making them illegal does more harm.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Ein cooler Typ posted:

drugs are for losers

Weed is great dude

facebook jihad posted:

Those are devices used to treat dying cancer patients. They aren’t actually lollipops. Jesus Christ

nice av

It’s piss

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
The 'Linda' episode of Intervention involved an addiction to fentanyl - and I want to say specifically the pops. It was one of the harshest things to watch.

The intervention itself was a train wreck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_tRTmquOCo

Her episode is the first one of season 8, if you want to go hunting for the full episode. I think that clip came from a recap they did later in the series. :smith:

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Artsygrrl posted:

The 'Linda' episode of Intervention involved an addiction to fentanyl - and I want to say specifically the pops. It was one of the harshest things to watch.

The intervention itself was a train wreck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_tRTmquOCo

Her episode is the first one of season 8, if you want to go hunting for the full episode. I think that clip came from a recap they did later in the series. :smith:

I'm more aware then most of how sad this is but the way she just straight up runs off screaming really cracks me up.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Can't imagine my reaction would of been any less extreme if I'd been put in that position when I had a really bad smack habit. Still though, lol

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
Plus there were obviously big cameras in the room which is always a big no no.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
has anyone said Num-Nums yet

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Xaintrailles posted:

I know that feeling. Sounds like you were "high on life."
im pretty sure it was the drugs that made things feel different though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State