Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
FWIW last month my dentist said "they're slightly better than nothing if you absolutely can't or won't floss your molars, but if you don't actually floss your molars then I'll be making money off you for years to come and water picks won't change that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Scudworth posted:

There's 3 main mindsets against this, it's a perfect storm.
It started in the cold war as fear of a communist plot (seriously, the Dr Strangelove clip) and government mind control device. This persists.

Then there's the libertarian view of "the GOVERNMENT can't force me to drink MEDICINE"

Then there's the god drat "toxins" neo-health idiot view. It's all these groups together.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_fluoridation_controversy

These groups comprise approximately 1%, 4% and 95%, respectively, of the anti-fluoride movement in the US. Mostly it's a weird alliance of Green Party supervegans and Christian private school/homeschool moms.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Maybe you have super powers but most people find out they have a cavity in one of only two ways: from their dentist, or when it develops into an abscess which eats through your gums and provokes indescribably horrifying pain.

Then comes a root canal, which also happens to be a high profit margin procedure for a dentist.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nessa posted:

So, I had a cleaning done recently and have another appointment on the 19th to take care of a couple of fillings. In the last year and a half, I have been brushing twice a day about 80-90% of the time, and brushing my gums as well, but it seems like my gums are still quite sensitive and have some bad areas of disease. I'm going to try to floss more, at least my front teeth. I have a very small mouth, so that makes it quite difficult for me to floss properly.

Is there anything else I can do to improve the state of my gums?

Also, when I do back on the 19th, I have to make a decision about what to do with one of my molars, and I really don't know how to decide.

I have an asymptomatic abscess. The molar in question had a root canal 13 years ago. My dentist said that it needs another root canal, which will make the tooth very weak, so it might not last long. When I had the initial root canal, I was put under. I've had some bad experience with dental work in the past, and so I've got a bit of a phobia about it. I am terrified of the prospect of being awake for a root canal if I can't afford to be put under.

The other option is extraction. My dentist said this option will give me a very unbalanced bite, as I will then only have one molar on my lower left side, and the upper teeth will come further down.

I was pretty much told that neither of these are good options, but my only other option is to do nothing and risk losing the other molar as well.

Doing a bit of research, it looks like an implant would be a good solution if I can afford it, but it was never presented as an option to me, so I don't know if I would be able to get one.

I'm just kind of stuck on what to do. I don't have a lot of money, but I do have insurance at the moment. Both of the options suck, and I don't know how to choose! :/

Hi tiny mouth sensitive gums buddy! :hfive:

An implant is the best option but they're very expensive. If it's between root canal and extraction I would go for the extraction--a second root canal isn't likely to last more than a few years before the tooth cracks/crumbles and has to be extracted anyway. Extractions aren't that bad as long as you can handle the novocain shots--once that novocain's injected you can't feel a drat thing and usually an extraction only takes a few minutes. The worst thing about a root canal when you have a small mouth is having to hold your jaw at 100% full wide open for an hour straight--my jaw ached for three weeks after. But an extraction's done in 10 minutes. The aftermath is just a matter of taking some pain meds for two days and regularly rinsing with salt water because DRY SOCKET SUCKS REALLY REALLY BAD.

I've already lost two molars because I hate trying to get floss back there, it's almost impossible, and so I didn't do it. Get a waterpick. I know they seem expensive at ~$60 but they're very very worth it for us Tiny Mouth Club members. And the other thing when you have gum issues is that cleanings really suck, it's like, wait, I'm paying $50 so I can sit in a chair for an hour while someone cuts my gums into painful bloody ribbons? But yeah, we should have them done like twice a year minimum because as much as they suck, they help a lot. Toothaches from infected gum tissue suck much, much, much more.

I Am Not A Dentist and of course you should ignore this and listen to the actual dentist if they disagree.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 5, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Doc Holliday was a dentist. In those days being a dentist was enough to certify you as no one to be hosed with, never mind a gunslinger.

When I had my molar yanked last year, I was reminded why. Pulling molars is no work for the faint of heart, gut, or arm, even with modern implements. I can't imagine doing it for a living with basically a knife and a pair of pliers and without benefit of anesthesia.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sounds like he’s probably a hockey player so the pain level is just another day in the life for him

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's always better to save a tooth than to pull it, especially a molar, but it does sound like that dentist is just trying to upsell you. Still, as a person who has had a couple extractions done already and thankfully have never had a major problem with one, I'm aware that I'm lucky and can testify if at all possible you want to save the tooth. Every situation is unique though and sometimes you can get another 15-20 years out of a tooth with a RC+crown with proper care, and other times you can do the RC+crown but the tooth's already in bad enough shape that it's iffy.

That was my situation to me a couple years ago and my dentist laid it out and said "I CAN do a RC and crown but honestly we should probably just extract it because it's pretty bad already."

Some dentists are really big on upselling, though, so a second opinion is always worthwhile.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

lizardman posted:

What's a good price for a dental implant to replace an extracted molar? One place gave me a $3-4000 ballpark estimate for implant + crown, that sounds pricey to me but I really don't know the market for these things.

Yeah, that's about right.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Scudworth posted:

I still had my wisdom teeth @ 35 and had every dentist who had ever looked in my mouth lose their absolute poo poo that I still had them and act like I was going to die if I didn't hand them thousands for removal IMMEDIATELY, WE CAN BOOK YOU NEXT WEEK. Shocking they hadn't caused me any issue yet.
They make a lot of money on this and I didn't trust them.

One finally started to bother me so I skipped the middle man and went directly to an oral surgeon. He did not give a single gently caress I still had them. Said I could keep them all if i wanted to, remove them as they bothered me or as i could afford to, or keep them. No issue = no reason to remove them.

Dentists upsell wisdom teeth removal like absolute crazy and I don't trust a single thing they suggest about them in a for-profit system.
Alternately, they are just about the least profitable thing an oral surgeon will do in a day, they will tell you the truth.

Fun fact, you can also go directly to an oral surgeon for an extraction and they’re often better at it than the dentist and less likely to make you wait two weeks through an agonizing toothache for an appointment. At least that’s the case where I live.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

It has been getting better day by day since I started to take the antibiotics though so hopefully the pain will subside soon. My appointment isn't until the 26th and that's just a consultation so I imagine the surgery itself wouldn't be til July depending on their schedule. So hopefully this pain stays manageable until then.

That's bullshit dude, the antibiotics will kill the infection but the infection will likely return if you wait four loving weeks. Look up oral surgeons in your area and find one willing to see you this week. If that's not successful then start looking up oral surgeons outside your area. Do not gently caress with impacted/infected wisdom teeth, especially if there's a cavity in the neighboring molar already, you could lose that tooth if you wait too long.

e: plus the steady stream of ibuprofen is really bad for your liver and never getting decent sleep because of the pain has a snowball effect of Bad Things for your entire body.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That's a trap, actually. The pain will subside, possibly nearly to no pain at all, when the antibiotics kill the infection. If you then decide, eh, oral surgery really sucks so maybe I can put it off indefinitely if I'm really careful about chewing and flossing and such, soon the infection will return and you will once again want to die. Plus the longer you wait to deal with bad teeth, the more damage will be done to the good(ish) teeth near them. You really need to just get the bad teeth dealt with as soon as the infection is dead.

Go ahead, ask me how I know! :nutshot:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I hasten to add that Cypher died shortly after giving that speech (spoilers?). So, y’know, he got what he wanted.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You’ll be fine. Your weekend’s gonna suck but usually day 2 or 3 is the worst and then it pretty quickly gets better. My completely nonmedical advice based solely on my personal anecdotal experience is to try to tough out the pain during the day and take your painkillers a half hour before bedtime, so you feel their full effect and can sleep. That and drink plenty of water even if you don’t want to.

Unless the surgeon prescribes codeine, that poo poo will KO you flat for 4 hours whenever you take it.

If your job involves either a lot of talking or a lot of physical activity then you will probably want to take Monday off unless your pain tolerance is higher than mine (quite possible) and/or you don’t mind keeping ibuprofen in your bloodstream all day.

Oh and definitely take the surgeon’s assistants seriously when they tell you not to suck on anything or spit forcefully for like a week. That can lead to dry socket and dry socket can make you want to die.

All that probably makes the whole thing sound scarier than it is. Your mouth will hurt for like 3 days and then you’ll be fine, like 98%.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 15, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I had a molar pulled on Tuesday and it didn’t go smoothly. Tooth started breaking up and the surgeon had to cut pretty deep to get it all out. This was my third extraction (and, God willing, last for at least a few decades) and the pain and swelling was way worse than before. Still went back to work Thursday. The swelling is almost gone but after 4 days of the pain slowly lessening it’s been increasing since yesterday morning. Here’s hoping it’s nothing to worry about but definitely calling the surgeon’s office tomorrow to make sure.

tl;dr floss your loving teeth and go to your loving dentist, kids. It’s nowhere NEAR as unpleasant (or expensive) as abscesses, infected gums, root canals and extractions.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It definitely won’t be as bad as an infected cavity/abscess at any point.

The actual dental people ITT can correct me if I’m wrong but I think dry socket mostly happens to smokers who, like, need their nicotine, man, and disregard the dentist/surgeon’s warning not to smoke for at least three days post-op

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Don’t worry, keep on smoking and you’ll be paying for a local oral surgeon’s three week skiing trip by the time you’re 40

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I like how that article is in a subfolder called /gbs/

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hydrocodone didn't seem to do much for me that ibuprofen didn't, other than give me some really weird dreams.

I got codeine after my extraction last week but didn't use it. GR, IMO you're best off not taking ibuprofen until you need it/until bedtime. Pop like 600mg a half hour before you want to sleep (and some melatonin if you happen to have any) and you should be OK. You probably won't need the hydrocodone.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think they moved away from Vicodin because it's fairly addictive

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean water is fine but if I were in your position I would just not eat anything at all except maybe oatmeal or plain yogurt or something babyfoodish like that until it’s been dealt with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

When there's blood streaming down over your chin and you generally look and feel like you just lost a boxing match, you'll know you're doing it right. :science:

• Locked thread