Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Typo posted:

who would you vote for sulla or marius

Optimates ad vitam!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Dreddout posted:

Idk dude, the Romans had guys like Brutus and Caligula.

Having a couple crazy dudes is just a part of empire.

But Brutus says that Caesar was ambitious, and Brutus is an honorable man!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

got any sevens posted:

spartacus was cool

Holy poo poo Kirk Douglas is still alive.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

what the gently caress

I know!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Yandat posted:

you might be right, what are you referring to?

Probably that little something that went down on 15 March.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

nopantsjack posted:

maybe im getting the timing wrong but during the dark ages after the romans left western europe in britian we were all like "what titaines madeth thine roadf and bathf, wither they gods or man?" and the romans were literally just chilling out in Turkey the whole time.

did nobody tell us?

There was at least one generation between the withdrawal of the legions and the eventual end of Romano-British rule, so it's not like everyone got a terminal case of the stupids overnight. However, as decades passed and acquired knowledge dwindled, accelerated by both the end of contact with the old Imperial center and the influx of less technologically advanced peoples like the Saxons, bit by bit people forgot what they'd forgot. Eventually, you have people who don't know much about where those old stone ruins came from, only that they've been there A Really Long Time and further speculation is pointless because we've more pressing concerns like that big, heavily-mailed Scandinavian fellow with the gory battle ax over there.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

got any sevens posted:

makes you wonder how much we'll forget in the next 1k years

Next thousand years nothing, I got me a deluxe size bowl of chili right here and by the time I'm done I'm not remembering anything.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Dreddout posted:

Barring a catastrophe that's in the sweet spot of damaging civilzation but not wiping us out I can't imagine much.

Electronic data archiving really is a game changer.

A thousand years from now, the ai overmind of planet Saturn will still be able to look up what groverhaus was

ACCESS SUM OF OLDHUMAN KNOWLEDGE PRIOR TO GREAT MIGRATION
PROCESSING...
PROCESSING...
RETRIEVED.
HEH, "DICKBUTT." HEH.

Captain_Maclaine has issued a correction as of 04:12 on Oct 22, 2017

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

rudatron posted:

What's wrong with Carlin

I haven't listened to his rome stuff, but of the stuff I have heard, the worst thing you can say is that he's too pop-history.

His early stuff is decent though not particularly deep, and it only goes down hill from there particularly as he's, what's a nice way to say this, less than thorough and discriminating in what sources he draws from.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Lawman 0 posted:

He desperately needs an editor and a fact checker

And also, as was mentioned before, to not rely so much on the Great Man framework for his narrative.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Flython posted:

Four pages and not one mention of Gibbon? Unbelievable. The Decline is required reading for anyone even slightly interested in Rome.

Gibbon's thesis has not been seriously entertained in quite some time, and my god is his writing a turgid, impenetrable mess.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Gibbon's central thesis is that Rome declined and fell, itself a troublesome idea, due to internal degradations and eroding of civic virtue, in particular advancing the idea that Christianity especially weakened the martial heart of the Romans and made them softies, ripe for conquest by the rapacious barbarian hordes.

None of these ideas has held up well in the face of subsequent historical analysis, to put it mildly.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Typo posted:

so since he doesn't have an understanding of why the Roman Empire fell, he reduces it down to moral causes because that's the cause he could understand and it makes for a good story. Reading decline and fall is kinda like reading Freud for physcology: it's a landmark work in the field but it's also completely outdated

Oh absolutely. I think we should take a moment to acknowledge that Gibbon's big problem isn't that he wrote out and out garbage, but that he advanced an argument that's since been long superseded. For his time, he was a good historian, but the field left him behind an awful long time ago and that, coupled with his reactor-shielding-dense writing, make Decline and Fall a less than appealing book to modern audiences.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

babypolis posted:

i mean i got into history because of rome total war, age of empires and civilization. theres room for the dumb fanciful stuff as a gateway yeah

also history channel is way worse. its all aliens and paranormal poo poo these days

Yeah, it's a split between redneck reality shows and aliens. Other than Vikings I can't think of a single current program they have worth watching.

I got into history because we didn't have cable growing up so I caught Ken Burn's The Civil War when it first aired and that pretty much set me down the path I've been on ever since.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

achillesforever6 posted:

Its funny in retrospect that I wrote an 8th grade paper in Catholic School on how the fall of the Roman Empire was totally because of Christianity making the Romans weak and peaceful. This was because I got really into Roman history from playing RTSs and reading Greek Mythology. I never let go of my interest of the Roman Empire (hell I made sure to go to Rome and the Mediterranean as part of my high school graduation trip/cruise) though I'm far less of the opinion that Julius Caesar did nothing wrong and that the Roman Empire was good.

Though the idea has been discredited academically, it does have a remarkable half-life in less developed conceptions of why the Empire collapsed, particularly among those with an axe to grind. I seem to recall former forums poster and GBS superstar LegoRobot included the idea of "Christianity ruined Rome" in one of this cartoons as he was descending into the New Atheist obnoxiousness that ruined what good will he had on the forums (and before he accidentally outed himself as a pedophile and got kicked off for good).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Typo posted:

even Hitler thought Christianity destroyed rome

I'm serious btw

He had some interesting ideas about classical civilizations, yes. Still was more grounded in reality than Himmler, somehow.

• Locked thread