Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

No, the show and the manga keep it pretty exposition light. I think the show actually has a little more exposition, I don't know if the stuff about the wizards was even in the manga.

But exposition would hurt the story, I think. Crazy poo poo happens and you go along for the ride. But it's kinda anchored by Klaus. When Klaus shows up he always knows the rules of whatever the situation is. This creates the illusion that there are rules in the universe. So the story can be written like Calvinball without the end product feeling like Calvinball.

If there was more explanation, if the viewer or Leo were ever able to really get a handle on the world, it would ruin it.

:wrong:

Also holy poo poo, BBB has a second season :eyepop:.

The first season of the anime was woefully light on exposition that is actually relevant to the plot compared to the manga. It also really wanted to tell the story about White and Black rather than that of, you know, the main goddamn cast to the point it expositioned a bunch of bullshit the manga never had or needed solely about how great and important the twins are :rolleyes::fh:.

There are key aspects to manga stories that just get straight-up dropped (why is a demon drug getting out of Hellsalem's Lot so bad? There's two demons who sit on the only bridge out of town, and they hate eachother so badly neither ever wants to be outdone at spotting poo poo. They can't be bribed or bargained with), and others that just get needlessly dumbed down to the point they lose their relevance (Vampires in BBB are hideously scarier than ones from folklore/pop-culture, because some unknown creator inscribed runes onto their very DNA. We do not want to meet whoever is capable of something that complex). Even something as simple as the number of Vampires down the pit was dumbed down to seeing all these little wing icons, where in the manga it's a far more terrifying endless sea of twinkling red lights from their combined auras.

Or they just killed the punchline of the story in the opening of an episode because they wanted to use the back half of the runtime for exposition about how great and amazing Mages are.

I'm quite happy the writer and director are both different this time and please, please, just let them do standalone stories, unless they use the actual fun villain (Femt; King of Depravity!) :sigh:.

edit:
To be fair though; Aligula got a much better showing in the anime.

Huh, and apparently Dark Horse is now going to actually release the last three manga volumes :stwoon:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dogsicle posted:

this show is good, much like s1 was. i sure hope we can make it through this one without too much whining about the ~purity of the manga~

It's less about "purity", because poo poo's gonna change in any adaptation, and more that the writer or director really wanted to do their own story with OC Characters, Do Not Steal, rather than BBB.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dogsicle posted:

which was usually placed unobstructively at the end of episodes adapting manga content, aside from the final two. :shrug:

Where every inference was that Black and White were the most important people of all in a city full of thousands of plots to rule the world. The whole premise of Hellsalem's Lot is is every insane cult, klan, and government has their own machinations at play with Libra stopping at least two on a daily basis. Before lunchtime.

You have to work pretty hard to sidestep all that to go off on a tangent about your own little group who are the most important people of all in Hellsalem's Lot, they made the city as it is, White IS the literal heart of the city keeping it stable, even Femt, King of Depravity, bows before the great and powerful Black :rolleyes::fh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

i think it's ok to not like the anime original stuff but if you're going on a giant loving rant about how the director ruined literally everything i'm just gonna clock out ok bye

Better topic; I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the later-volume stuff get adapted (and maybe a few earlier stories that got skipped because they're all stand-alone anyway). The one story I'm hoping to see especially is "The Outlaw Of Green", because you get to Klaus just lose his poo poo on an entire Yakuza clan.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

I remember that the opening part of the first episode this time was apparently a plot Femt did in the manga.

As someone who has not read the manga. How often does Femt show up out of curiosity.

Not all that often, though I can't speak for volumes 8-10 as they're only now getting released by Dark Horse. His rare showing makes him out to be The Joker of Hellsalem's Lot ("Oh god, what's he done this time?", that kinda thing), but he's still just one madman in a city of thousands.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Relin posted:

am i misremembering or don't they need to know a vampires real name to seal/kill them

They do indeed. It's a big part of Blood Line Fever, getting Leo to look at a slip of paper clenched in a severed hand to learn the name of one of the Original 13.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Fempt says he's existed since Rome so I thought it was a Judas Iscariot thing not just Judaeo-Christian Satan. Either way he's at least some inspiration for the biblical devil

EDIT: New episode is really strong but BOY I do not appreciate the implication that Noted Good Boy Klaus might gently caress. He's too pure for that.

Klaus is not a Good Boy, he just acts like one right up until something actually makes him lose his temper.

Black I like less because he's just a parallel to Leo. Has a sickly sister that is ill because of something that happened to the two of them, is burdened with a great power that he doesn't know what to do with and harbors a lot of self hatred and doubt because of all that. The one interesting thing about him is even with those parallels he's also like Leo's sister. he's the one that made the sacrifice, the new power is something wholly detrimental. They twist it a bit so that even with the self-sacrifice his sister still pays the price of having her life force become the lynch-pin of the whole barrier between worlds. Outside of that he's a lot like Leo with his grounded behavior but he's got enough of his sister's sense of humor that he isn't just Everyman Leo 2.0.

The real weak point of the two is the King of Despair because he's just kind of Sadbrains for the majority of the show. Even with his plan in full swing he's just bored until Frampt comes in to sass him and that conversation is honestly one of the high points of the show. The whole final episode/final carnival at least does something fun with him by setting him against Klaus. The King of Despair has been shown that his whole deal is that he looooves getting under people's skin and pushing their buttons and him doing that to Klaus gave us an insight into the man that we don't normally get since he's such a good good boy that he stoically and happily embraces the things life forces onto his shoulders cause burdening someone else with them wouldn't be fair.

This is the exact failing of BBB's anime-exclusive content though; Instead of using the characters and setting on-hand, they went out of their way to create a new brother and sister touched by a dark god and aided by a mysterious group, but, but, theirs is more powerful see, because it's the LITERAL devil not just some mystery god we know nothing about. And, and, their group's more important see, because they don't protect the city from threats, they protect the city's entire existence which is much more important and - :pseudo:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Finally able to see the new episodes and drat they're good :stwoon:.

Both episodes have had nothing to do with the manga (at least with a quick glance of the Chapter titles, so I may be wrong), and they're both great. The whole opening with people getting abducted, blown up, attacked is just a slow morning was fun, and I loved the sight of all the monsters wretching at the sight of the big guy getting CROSSED. My only minor complaint with the first episode is it needed a better (brief) intro to Leonard's eyes than a quick flash of a few frames, because it didn't explain what they actually do. Just something like using them to look through walls and see if it's safe to run, that kinda thing.

The second ep was great too. We get a better look at the Collapse as it happened, had a bunch of new characters, and they're just fellow denizens of Hellsalem's Lot like everyone else. Casters get a brief mention, but it's still as it should be as best as possible; poo poo happened, suddenly Hellsalem's Lot is where New York City was, and the general inference that something unseen was reshaping the city on purpose is actually a really neat concept because like so many things Beyond, we don't want to meet it.

The only other bad thing I can say is the ED isn't as great as Sugar Song to Bitter Step and its dance routines, but that is a hell of a tough act to follow. I actually I like the new OP better still.

Best of all though; the next episode is Day In, Day Out, one of the most fun stories in the manga and something I was hoping would be in the first season :peanut:.

The ED also gives away another manga story that's gonna be adapted; the brain and eye in the lightbulb-shaped tank is from One Butler's Blitzkreig.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Her true form when she combines looks real cool. I especially like the hair.

I quite like the detail of the divided versions getting younger as they split, because it's a nice quick way to show there's potentially a finite limit to what she can do and oh god can she bring hell down on anything that threatens her patients :stare:.

Postal Parcel posted:

Correct. This episode is a bit rushed, especially the ending, because the VampireBlood Breed notes that something is different about their resolve this time. I still love the lost hospital arc, but this was a bit fast...

I think it's assuming you've already seen the first season, as the whole thing with Blood Breed true names is something they go into explicit detail there. If you already know that, you probably not surprised to see Leo furiously texting the name to Klaus.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Postal Parcel posted:

First episode was the first chapter of BBB2: B2B
Second episode is Vol. 9 of BBB

Ahh, okay. What's the B2B stand for?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VibrantPareidolia posted:

Just watched episode two and I'm wondering if this is someone in particular. There have been quite a number of pilots who've gotten lost at sea so it could just be a non-specific reference I suppose.

The new ED is really frantic, but there are so many nice little details you just have to keep pausing every frame to look at it all. Dance party ED from the 1st season will always have a place in my heart, but I like this one too! There were a lot of blink-and-you-miss-it things I'm going to take as confirmation of the stories we'll see this season and I'm really looking forward to them

The focus on the brain and eye in the jar is a pretty big indication that we're at least getting One Butler's Blitzkreig, because it's too specific a thing to reference.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That was drat fantastic and everything I hoped it'd be :allears:.

Something with this season in general is they've definitely got a much better handle on what Hellsalem's Lot is like at-large; It's about as peaceful as an active war zone, and if things are quiet then either someone's either about to unleash something, or Lord Gigagigafutmassif (which I actually like better than the manga's name, which is just a literal english version of Gigagigafootmassive) is taking a stroll and OH GOD RUN!

The Colonel posted:

this is chain's season and i wouldn't have it any other way

For what it's worth, it looks like the next episode is another story that centers on Chain; "Werewolf Mission (Chain Possible)".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's Werewolf Mission: Chainpossible

I was going by the title in the manga, that's definitely much better parsed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Or KK really.

Or Steven.

S1 was mostly Klaus Leo and Zapp/Zedd

In Zedd's case that was even probably incidental from just being the stories that introduced him so he'd get screentime. The only episode that might've been character development between Zedd and Zapp is Lunge! Launch! Lunch! and hoo boy is it apparent what the writer really wanted to spend time developing there (Casters).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rangpur posted:

an entire party of Steven's former friends and/or lovers get turned into what I can only assume was cherry-flavored shaved ice;
Oh no, that's just to secure them. Steven's buddies are going to have a long talk about who put them up to trying to grab Steven.

Rangpur posted:

Show's doing a pretty good job of melding humor and body-horror. First season had a hell of a body count too, mind, but I don't remember it being so... visceral. (FWIW, my last word on S1 is that I think the director/writer did a good job. Even if their OCs were kinda dull, they still made 10 really fuckin' solid episodes, so don't take any comparisons as having an axe to grind.)

Season 1's take on Hellsalem's Lot actually neuters the perception of the city a fair bit. You can see it a lot in "Don't Forget to Don't Forget Me", with all the stuff about the city being peaceful between humans and things from Beyond.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

There Bias Two posted:

Maybe it mirrors Leo's changing perceptions of the city over time? When he first joined Libra, he had a more surface view of the city. I'm sure that changed over time as he got in deeper and deeper into the seedy underworld.

Nope. Leo's been in the city for a while from the start of the series and knows full-well how dangerous the place is. EVERYONE knows how dangerous Hellsalem's Lot is, just going to the place is not the act of sane people. The little scene at the start of this season with Leo riding his scooter through utter chaos is pretty much Hellsalem's Lot in a nutshell.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rodyle posted:

Don't Forget to Don't Forget Me was a pretty spot-on adaptation of the manga story. A key point re: the chaos and danger of HL, and this story exemplifies it to, is that some people can hack it and some can't. Leo, though not as crazy as Zapp or Klaus, IS largely adapted to the city. He sees it as "peaceful" because he's used to the general noise

Not quite. There's an entire stretch in the middle of the episode about how happy and peaceful the city is with things like classes for interacting with humans/Beyondians.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tsob posted:

Are you thinking of the truck driver guys trying to beat up Nej to get his spores? I was talking about the body snatching demons putting people in cellophane and then transporting them under an illusion only Leo could spot because of his eyes. Those guys were definitely demons of some kind.

Also, now I've watched another episode that's just left me confused. The episode where Zapp manipulates Klaus in to bare knuckle fighting culminates in Klaus destroying the club's owners head, only for a blood breed to pop out as Leo starts trying to shout warnings about what he is and the vampire throws Klaus across the ring like it was nothing and seems like he's about to try and take Klaus' body for his own. And then it immediately cuts to Zapp, Klaus and Leo outside the club. If it was a book I'd be checking for missing pages, but this is an episode on Crunchyroll so I just have to assume that's the way the episode is meant to be and I've no idea what just happened. I guess this is appropriate, since I find Nightow's manga impossible to follow and the action choreography loses me.

The Blood Breed just wanted a good fight, and he got it. Flicking Klaus into the net was just to show the viewer that he was pretty much loving around with just the venue-owner's corpse.

One minor bit with that episode too; When Zapp's looking pretty pleased about Klaus starting to enjoy himself, that's actually not how its meant to go. Zapp's more than a little worried in the manga version, and you find out exactly why in a later story that I'm really hoping gets adapted this season.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 26, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Let's say they cover everything in the Manga how many episodes would that take?

If you mean sequentially, that's anyone's guess. Day-In, Day-Out's from volume three, and we've had stuff as late as volume seven in the first season. Someone already mentioned that the hospital story is from volume nine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I always loved the ending to this one. The last thing anyone wants is their crush to visit their messy apartment :allears:.

The next one is going to amazing to see animated, because most of it is an absolutely insane chase scene.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

where the red fern gropes posted:

oh is that what happened

i figured she vanished into non-existence and there's some special method to bring them back and... threatening to clean up her apartment was how they did that?

The point is it's the one absolute thing that would bring them back to existence (which is why the vase changes and Steven has a moment of confusion on the doorstep before being coaxed into reading the thing in his hand. Chain didn't exist). For the drunk girl it might be as simple as a shot on the bar waiting for her. For another it could be coming home to see her son (this is just me spitballing rather than something spelled out anywhere).

For Chain it was the abject fear of Steven A. Starphase coming over to see her absolute pit of an apartment and the way she lives.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 29, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ahahaha drat i wonder how much other amazing stuff i've missed now

also wondering if leonardo can see chain when she's invisible. guessing no

Actually he probably can. The whole premise of the Eyes of the Gods is they see everything. He'd have to actively look for Chain, but he'd probably see her clear as day.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

Looking at too many Blood Breeds cracked the eyes. They just healed over time.

How he sees is very simple. His eyes can see everything so he just sees through his eyelids when he wants to.

Also just using them for more than quick glances makes them literally overheat in his eyesockets.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shinjobi posted:

Blood Breeds seem just a smidge overpowered if the Eyes of the Gods can only gaze at them for a quick instant. They don't appear to have any natural counters that I can remember.

A thing that got fundamentally skipped in the first season is how loving dangerous Blood Breeds are; Something Beyond took thirteen humans and inscribed complex magical curses onto their very DNA to create the Elder Vampires. Not only are they obscenely powerful, there's something even worse that made them. And Libra only found that little detail out thanks to an electron microscope.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Chain is stated as being able to screw with reality.

Kinda. More her existence within reality. She can phase herself out so she's not affecting anything and was just dividing herself down more and more right to the edge of zero.

Rodyle posted:

It's not that the eyes of god can't handle blood breeds, it's that Leonardo's squishy human brain can't really handle either the eyes or the blood breeds

Actually the severed hand basically love-tapped his brain to stop him looking at the name on the paper held tight between its fingers.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 29, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's also shown that Klaus the strongest member of Libra is no match for Elder Blood Breeds. Who are also borderline unkillable from what has been shown. The way Libra has been able to handle them is thanks to Leo. Who can discover their true names with his eyes which can allow Klaus to seal them.

Also as Leo found out when he looked in the pit. There are way more then 13 Elder Blood Breeds.

The anime also drastically undersells that scene as well. You find out early on from the accidental glance that Leo gets of one that Elder Vampires have a pretty aura like a twinkling red mist coming off them.

When he looks down into Beyond it's not a bunch of silly vampire wing icons, it's just all twinkling red mist as far as he can see :stare:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dogsicle posted:

honestly the harping on how the show compares to the manga, good or bad, is pretty annoying. and you've literally been repeating yourself on like half these talking points too

That's fair, and I only brought it up to answer what the deal with the Blood Breeds is.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rangpur posted:

Alternately the subtitles have been spelling it wrong the entire time, and she is actually a Where-Wolf. :v:

:stare:

:frogout:

Genius.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SpazmasterX posted:

The question is: Did she reappear because Steven showed up, or because she knew they would bring Steven and desperately tried to clean her apartment before they did?

The former. The one absolute thing that would guarantee her existence was keeping Steven from seeing how she lived at home. I think the general inferrence is her worst nightmare would be him visiting out of the blue.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dudermcbrohan posted:

it's been a while since i read the manga is the butler episode the one where there's limousines with plasma cutters from dead space on them

Yup, that's the one. Real curious to see how they deal with that little detail.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That was pretty loving great. As a minor side-note; if you're wondering why Zedd was silent the entire episode it's because the manga story's from before he actually arrives. I do love the change to the car trip with poor Leo being crammed in the middle because of Zedd tagging along though. Even if it does come at the expense of the shot of Leo flipping off the kidnappers through the brainjacked feed right before Gilbert makes his offer.

Postal Parcel posted:

Once again, this is what happens when you underestimate New YorkHL

Gilbert gave them full warning and a chance to walk away. This is all on them :unsmigghh:.

I am surprised they actually got away with the Plasma Cutters though. And outright named them :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

do you have a picture of this

I wish I did, or could find one online. It's just a neat little two-panel gag of Leo noticing Phillpe's awake and flipping them off with a smile.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

R0ckfish posted:

I feel like as much as the OC donut steal plot from the first season jangled with some people, it did help provide a clear indicator of events being chronologically sequenced. Right now every episode could be taking place in parallel dimensions as far as I am concerned, which means I don't have any particular hype going into an episode. It is enjoyable while I am watching episodes but the season as a whole does not click for me I guess.

It's really just an issue of being just stuck writing around the first season skipping them.

Is the next episode from a later volume or BBB&B, out of curiosity?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

There Bias Two posted:

I would really like an episode through the eyes of someone just going through a mundane daily routine. Like a mailman for example.

One of my favourite worldbuilding details is the signs on public transport denoting the chance of regular humans surviving the trip. It all blends together well with stuff like how Phillipe gets grabbed by a creature masquerading as an entire bar.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

this owns thanks

ok i was not paying enough attention but is this a visible thing that can be seen or is it just mentioned

Leo points out a demonic-looking bus and tells Phillipe not to go anywhere the route description is displayed in red.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MJP posted:

We're up to the 2nd ever official portrayal of New Jersey in anime - Philip came in at Newark Airport, which got nicely rebuilt after Lucky Abrams caused it to basically blow up.

Pretty sure some of Baccano! is in New Jersey, isn't it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Tsk.

Out of curiosity, are the Earthshakers something brought up in a later volume before Get The Lock Out!, or just another assumed daily shade of madness in Hellsalem's Lot?

Who ya gonna call? Lockbusters!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

There Bias Two posted:

It seems like one of those aspects that are pretty self-explanatory. We saw a different example of a really giant creature wandering around earlier this season, so this just provided context for that event.

Lord Gigagigafutmassif? He's just a denizen of Hellsalem's Lot who likes to take walks. A very, very big denizen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sindai posted:

I took this as "of course someone in Hellsalem's Lot tries to summon an elder god and end the world every other week."

That's pretty much what I assumed, just seemed like something a bit too specific like Blood Breeds so I was curious.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What was that about Daniel Craig shooting rockets out of his knees? :stare:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dogsicle posted:

she mentioned cybernizing "double-zeroes" so it's a reference to both James Bond (007) and Cyborg 009 (Cyborg 004 has missiles in his knees, among other armaments)

Oh I know, just wasn't expecting them to outright name Daniel Craig like that just for the mental imagery :allears:.

Kinda nice seeing Alice, the Warden of Pandora Asylum, carrying a tablet so Doug could be at the party remotely though :unsmith:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I don't think I'll ever get tired of Zapp getting owned.

Watching the Polisuits get owned is almost as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

klaus: "an elder god is descending from the heavens, if he touches the ground everything explodes, and we've been locked out of libra headquarters by a hostile entity. we're going to defcon 2"

klaus: "ehhh this guy seems a bit larger than a normal person. defcon 2"

It's Hellsalem's Lot. When you don't know exactly what you're up against, you want to be very, very careful. Or you wind up very very dead. And if you're extremely lucky, that'll be the worst thing that happens to you resulting from being careless.

• Locked thread