Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Is there a play-by-email game going on at the moment? I'm interested in participating in the next game, if that'll happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

current game has been going for years

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
iirc the last time it was brought up i don't believe there were any objections to using the thread to organise other smac pbem games. the rate the current one is going we won't be finished for a long time lol. deffo recommend only going for like 4 players and either enabling accelerated start or using scenario editor to setup a map that has everyone starting with a few bases and some energy.

also quotes that didn't age well:

Glorgnole posted:

lol at taking two weeks to move a colony pod. game's gonna finish sometime in 2022 at this rate

:lol:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
yeah we've been at this for like 3 years

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Pile Of Garbage posted:

iirc the last time it was brought up i don't believe there were any objections to using the thread to organise other smac pbem games.

Hot drat. Well, if there are other people looking to get a game going, consider me interested.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

also quotes that didn't age well:

:lol:

hahaha what innocence

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Armauk posted:

Hot drat. Well, if there are other people looking to get a game going, consider me interested.

yeah you're absolutely welcome to get another game going! Interested folks come through here regularly so it's mostly a matter of getting them all in one place at the same time. def would suggest limiting the number of players a bit if you want to keep things moving quickly.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
we all pretty much won because I don't think anyone has done anything anything super violent

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Glorgnole posted:

yeah you're absolutely welcome to get another game going! Interested folks come through here regularly so it's mostly a matter of getting them all in one place at the same time. def would suggest limiting the number of players a bit if you want to keep things moving quickly.

we've tested the waters and it's super easy to do if you have a dedicated few people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gB_guq_DPc

SmokaDustbowl fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 19, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

we all pretty much won because I don't think anyone has done anything anything super violent

In a certain sense, every one is winning. In another, more accurate sense, Glorgnole is winning.

Seriously though the weird island alliance between the Hive and the Free Drones of all people is quite the sight.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

In a certain sense, every one is winning. In another, more accurate sense, Glorgnole is winning.

Seriously though the weird island alliance between the Hive and the Free Drones of all people is quite the sight.

I gave credits to the free drones and maps to the gaians

my boats are everywhere

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
just off memory me and the gaians control the bay that the spartans used to, and the spartans are moving up. I think sister miriam is there somewhere too

this is becoming a legend of galactic heroes thing except nobody is really fighting

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

SmokaDustbowl posted:

spartans destroyed one of my synthmetal laser foils! :colbert:

PittTheElder posted:

as leader of the Wu-Tang Hive i fully support our pact brothers!

edit: also yeah Space Pirate Captain Smoka rules the waves!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

SmokaDustbowl posted:

someday someone will get planet busters AND THEN

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

PittTheElder posted:

we're just hanging out

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

someday someone will get planet busters AND THEN

well after three years we're ~140 turns in and most of us are only just getting to tech four (the green line):

Planet Busters are unlocked by Orbital Spaceflight which is tech six (the red line). soooo yeah, maybe in two years someone might field a Planet Buster?

Improbable Lobster posted:

we're just hanging out

:hfive:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
hell yeah space pirates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sddLS1VqIqo

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

They released a new one of these it's called Civilization beyond earth and it's actually pretty epic!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

They released a new one of these it's called Civilization beyond earth and it's actually pretty epic!

everything about this post upsets me

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Pewdiepie posted:

:gb2gbs:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I'm from YOSPOS. Check the gang tag.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Pewdiepie posted:

I'm from YOSPOS. Check the gang tag.

don't poo poo up this thread tia

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Bout to start up some Multiplayer Civ 6 whoever wants to challenge me can join.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

forgive me posters for I have sinned, I last received the save several days ago but I have not snet.

(I'll do it tonight, though! and we're long past due for a recap post too.)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
yo it's me, ya boi garbo who has been bogarting the save. just sent it on to improbable lobster.

to atone for my sins here are the current faction dominance rankings for MY 2242:

1. Gaians (Glorgnole)
  2. Hive (Me)
  3. Spartans (anthonypants)
  4. Drones (Improbable Lobster)
  5. University (Luigi Thirty)
  6. Believers (Boiled Water) and Pirates (SmokaDustbowl)

the gap between 2nd/3rd and 4th/5th is just a single pixel whilst the 6th spot is dead-even between Believers and Pirates.

also it appears that Spartans have claimed the Manifold Nexus and will probably claim the Borehole Cluster next as well:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

All hail our rapidly accelerating overlords the Gaians

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Glorgnole is a wizard. they didn't even start as Gaians, they only took over when Cazlab Sagebrush dropped-out! that said Gaians had a sick starting location at Garland Crater (+1 minerals) on a sizable island all to themselves.

edit: sorry Sagebrush!

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 18, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Excuse me I started as the Gaians. :mad:

Cazlab didn't finish even a single turn

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

If memory serves Glorgnole (on top of a very comfy start position) has been doing a bit of pop booming here and there. Not a ton of it, but if anybody wants to catch up, that's the move!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Sagebrush posted:

Excuse me I started as the Gaians. :mad:

Cazlab didn't finish even a single turn

ah poo poo yeah you're right, sorry Sagebrush!!!

PittTheElder posted:

If memory serves Glorgnole (on top of a very comfy start position) has been doing a bit of pop booming here and there. Not a ton of it, but if anybody wants to catch up, that's the move!

imo not to get mad jelly but really the Gaians start position was the best on the map:

Glorgnole posted:

here's the Gaian territory
initial continent:

for comparison starting as Hive i found myself on a much smaller island along with the Drones that we ofc agreed to share but still it's cramped (note that unlike Garland Crater the Sunny Mesa landmark doesn't provide any bonuses):

Pile Of Garbage posted:

edit: i've done the needful. here's a look at things on the Human Hive/Free Drones island co-op as well as the surrounding area in MY MY 2226:

i've been booming out as much as the Gaians and we probably have the same base count. i did have some issues with drone riots earlier in the game that i've handled with judicious installation of Hologram Theatres and putting energy towards psych in social engineering. still Gaians have been pop leader for a long time.

ofc i really shouldn't complain because i've been planetary governor for a long time now...

edit: also lol if i had the same starting location as University, Spartans or Believers then woahhhh

edit2: i sound like a giant bitch trying to justify why im being outplayed lol. also ive a pact with the Gaians so we're not even competing anyway!

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 18, 2021

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
just sent the save, who/what is naoto?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

just sent the save, who/what is naoto?

i believe that banned poster and ideological adversary anthonypants is up next

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Yeah I sent off mine

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
oh no i'm trying to reinstall this game and on first run i get a windows update error "invalid access to memory location," has anyone seen that before? i think it's during the c++ redistributable library installation and i'd do it manually but i don't know which one i need

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

raminasi posted:

oh no i'm trying to reinstall this game and on first run i get a windows update error "invalid access to memory location," has anyone seen that before? i think it's during the c++ redistributable library installation and i'd do it manually but i don't know which one i need

are you installing from original media or the GOG version? honestly i doubt the former will work on modern PCs but the latter definitely does.

edit: also ive got the save, need to send it

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Pile Of Garbage posted:

are you installing from original media or the GOG version? honestly i doubt the former will work on modern PCs but the latter definitely does.

edit: also ive got the save, need to send it

gog, i've tried various combinations of administrator mode/installing to an unprotected directory/opening the .exe directly instead of using the gog launcher/reinstalling and no luck

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

raminasi posted:

gog, i've tried various combinations of administrator mode/installing to an unprotected directory/opening the .exe directly instead of using the gog launcher/reinstalling and no luck

is this via the GOG Galaxy app or just using the offline installer? if the former then i recommend trying the latter. if the latter then maybe try re-downloading as it sounds like something got corrupted. either that or AV is breaking poo poo.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
my humblest apologies all, i have been bogarting the save like a complete cretin! played and sent now.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

happy fourth birthday little thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
iirc MY 2100 (turn 1) was played in mid november 2017 and right now we're on MY 2244 (turn 144). things should be kicking off at this point in the game but well i think we're all too friendly except for the spartans.

edit: MY = Mission Year for anyone who hasn't played it.