Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
you guys need to start sending people to the punishment sphere when turns take too long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
an unfortunate lack of a sense of duty, which i'm sure the hive is just yearning to correct. with nerve gas pods. which the hive should be putting on everything once available because it's the only way to play the hive. infantry? yes. transport ships? of course. probe teams? never know when you're gonna need a bit of the old chairman yang private reserve

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
not all mindworms can be captured if i recall. even if you're some hippie running naked in the fungus fields with +5 planet, i think some of those spawned by excessive mineral production or similar events will just give you a message like "empaths report worms are controlled by some vastly more powerful mind" or something

i may have found this out the hard way in a game where i was fairly liberal with my usage of planetbusters. i think i'm still under un sanctions for a couple more centuries thanks to that

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
they were saying they didn't want to do a smac remake and told people as much, which, fair enough. but it still came really short of what most people expected, even without the inevitable comparisons to smac

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Luigi Thirty posted:

yer fookin ded m8, the planet buster is on its way

j/k it's still like turn 5

aren't you playing as the university? because then you should assume everyone else has all the techs you have. because they stole them from you. because this game's portrayal of security on academic network is probably one of the most realistic things in it

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
not sure why, honestly. it's one of those things that literally everyone loved about smac. i guess it's the fact that it isn't included by default in any engine, as you said. kinda have to custom build the thing. i can't imagine it's that hard, though

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i don't think anyone should be surprised at the pirates falling victim to a mutiny

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

anthonypants posted:

guess who made the first discovery since planetfall motherfuckers

believers? yeah i'm gonna go with believers

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
get the nerve gas pods ready boys

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
you know, i don't think i ever tried equipping a colony pod with a pressure hull to get a submersible colony pod... a good way to get a defensible beachhead on a continent if other options aren't available

other options being obliterating the entire continent with planetbusters of course

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Luigi Thirty posted:

University bases start with a free NETWORK NODE.

it'd probably be nice if they didn't also all run an open telnet daemon by default, but hey, free network node!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i dunno, drones can become kinda unpleasant for zakharov in the mid-long term. human genome project helps with that. of course the only critical secret project for the university is still the hunter seeker algorithm but everyone knows that

man, now that i think about it i'd forgotten how much fun the espionage game can be in smax. which is weird because it's usually something i never really focus on in other games including the rest of the civ series

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
you're playing as the hive! the university is the last faction you want to see nuked/nerve gassed since they're doing all your research!

god have you people even played this game before

it's murder the believers first (because gently caress godwinson and anyway she's probably declared war before you did), then start spying on the university, then start murdering all those other idiots. it's not orbital spaceflight people!

(also virtual world isn't nearly as useful since you can always build holo-theaters on a per-base basis while the genome project doesn't have any base improvement counterpart)

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

raminasi posted:

you can put them on needlejets

design workshop lets you do all sorts of dumb poo poo that ranges from "excellent emergent gameplay" to "lol they didn't do any qa"

ooooh, i never tried colony needlejets before. in the "excellent emergent gameplay", submersible aircraft carriers are probably one of my favorites

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
they didn't fill them up with needlejets or planetbusters, though. that's why they lost the war

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
that means you get all the unity pods in the ocean

oh wait pirates are in this game. ok only half of the water pods. still a good deal

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
gonna have to downgrade the gaians to 1/5th of the unity sea loot at most. those pirates clearly know what they're doing. that mutiny really was for the best

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
lol if you don't know the algorithms to compute every single variable in this game by heart. you waste anything, you only have yourself to blame

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
*in extremely nwabudike morgan voice* and now we see yet another example of the inefficiencies so easily avoided by the invisible hand of the free market

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Luigi Thirty posted:

we have random techs so 2050

oh boy... i don't mind random tech when playing against the AI, but for mp it just seems too arbitrary. there's just too big a gap between how useful some techs are compared to others

you might get doctrine: air power next turn, OR you might get... some tech so unremarkable that i forgot its name and also it unlocks a whole lot of techs that are also not doctrine: air power

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
it is the future

(for now)

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
oh yeah good thinking luigi should be able to figure out that format in no time. it's got to be simpler than all that old junk she likes

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i suppose nerve gas is sort of like a fine wine and needs to age for a while before it's ready

unlike a fine wine, however, chairman yang's special reserve can be enjoyed by the masses and not just the bourgeoisie (although it can also be enjoyed by the bourgeoisie)

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

also the drones are cheating

why? is it because they are using the twin powers of marxist science and the historical inevitability of the emancipation of the working class?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

yeah but that fucker was all "yeah alpha centauri is a clusterfuck of ip holders and poo poo what can ya do" when asked about alpha centauri 2 instead of pledging to infiltrate and gene plague anyone who stood in the way of making a second game so he's dead to me

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i realize morgan isn't in this game but why the hell are the hippies of all factions the wealthiest ones?

they can't even run free market!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i don't actually know what the wealth ranking bases itself on though. might just be that the gaians forgot about the energy they've stockpiled instead of spending it where and when it matters most. i know i tend to do that

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
what turn is it now?

why hasn't santiago or miriam murdered anyone yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Please wipe out a faction ASAP, the weak should fear the strong (also every faction eliminated makes the following turns go faster).

and it's just the proper and, more importantly, efficient order of things

remember: the spirit of nwabudike morgan watches over us all