Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

nvj is touched by your generosity!
I was talking to a low-level (local in medium sized city) elected official who said that about 60% of the calls to his office have to do with the UN taking our guns, 9/11 being an inside job, chemtrails, fluoride in the water, vaccines causing autism, global warming being a hoax invented by Al Gore to sell hybrid cars, agenda 21, UFOs, the secret plot to foist Sharia Law upon our local farmers, etc. etc.

I really don't even know where to begin other than to just ask, with some genuine astonishment, how the gently caress we got so goddamned dumb. I have a hard time believing that our grandparents sat around worrying that a bunch of non-binding UN talking points about reducing carbon emissions amounted to a secret plot to take our guns.

Have we always been this stupid or has the internet just weaponized stupid people? Do we come back from this? I would like to think that national dipshittery is a self-correcting mechanism like predator/prey ratios but I just don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

I blame everyone who has ever used the phrase "finding my own truth"

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

EorayMel posted:

OP how do you feel about the following phrase?

Like I just took some strong goofballs

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

https://twitter.com/GrantJKidney/status/918472349892177920

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

I genuinely don't know if this one is satire or not

https://twitter.com/AliDee12017/status/918498039261745153

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

Oh look

https://twitter.com/TruthSeeker2115/status/915001568163880960

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

Oh god how could I forget the Bilderberg Group OBVIOUSLY THEY'RE RUNNING THE SHOW WAKE UP SHEEPLE

https://twitter.com/Enlightened_Pro/status/914963905616711680

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

https://twitter.com/SteerMark/status/915712037078126592

It's definitely the mind control gas from planes and not CO2 very good point

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

Orkin Mang posted:

but 911 was an inside job.

This is patently loving retarded. Was crashing a plane into the middle of the forest in PA also part of their GRAND MASTER PLAN?

They could execute the conspiracy so well that for all these years nobody has talked but they couldn't even do something with that plane other than hit some danged trees?

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

https://twitter.com/jozifdelvaani/status/914970350613647360

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

https://twitter.com/benfcampen/status/918296273475706880

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

chaosbreather posted:

there's no such thing a stupid conspiracy any more dude

there are headlines every day that are a million times crazier than things the craziest people have ever produced badly photocopied rants about

Spend about 10 minutes talking to a libertarian about Agenda 21 and come back to me

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

VikingSkull posted:

there should be a nationalized testing system to license people to vote, huh

I non-sarcastically agree that we need way, way, way more elitism in this society.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

Smythe posted:

why didn't they speed up this guys prompter so he didnt have to say uh so much? wtf?

IDK but he looks like the BJ coach from the movie Old School

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

Marxalot posted:

There's a bit of a self selection process at work here. Nobody gives a poo poo about city officials except for steel beam melting antivaxxers who are worried that chemtrails are dropping fluoride all over them.

I don't disagree but polling data suggests that a shocking percentage of the populace believes objectively retarded poo poo.

10% of people think that the risks of vaccines outweigh the benefits (source) which doesn't sound like much except that we lose herd immunity when about ~6% stop vaccinating.

Depending on the study, support for crackpot 9/11 conspiracy theories ranges from about 40% to about 60% of the populace, which is loving mind-boggling.

Almost half don't believe that global warming is caused by human activities. And that's not even getting into how many people believe the insane religious stuff (evolution is fake, earth is 6,000 years old, etc.)

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

fish and chips and dip posted:

9/11 is probably the conspiracy I hate the most, it's just so stupid on so many levels. I was talking to two truthers and I said that if 9/11 was an inside job, then why did they come up with the most over-complicated, unmanageable, ridiculous plan possible, and why did they have to involve thousands and thousands of people, instead of keeping it simple and minimize the risk of leaks?

The first truther said that it was so complicated precisely so people wouldn't think it was an inside job. The second one said I was asking the wrong questions, but at the same time didn't tell me what he considered the right questions.

Don't you understand:

First, the Bush Administration, which was generally known for being inept at everything and couldn't even manage to rescue people from the flooded Superdome using THE ENTIRE loving US MILITARY at their disposal, planned the perfect crime, keeping the necessary THOUSANDS of co-conspirators all 100% silent for more than 16 years after.

Then, they crashed one of the jets into the woods in rural PA just to throw us all off the scent and make it seem more real.

Then, they framed a bunch of Islamic fundamentalists from Saudi Arabia JUST KNOWING that the American public would then turn around and want to invade/displace the secular dictatorship running Iraq, which was THEIR PLAN ALL ALONG SEE.

Why didn't they just frame it up so that Saddam was behind 9/11 since it was all a fake anyhow? ha ha ha don't ask such silly questions noob

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

scott zoloft posted:

even though 9/11 wasn't an inside job, we are all on board with the fact that bush and the CIA let it happen, right?

No this is retarded. There was a memorandum suggesting that Osama Bin Laden was planning a terrorist attack using planes. OK, cool. It's not like they got a text the morning of saying "hey guys just so you know we're thinking three flights with box cutters today, headed for NYC and DC"

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

Tallgeese posted:

I agree with the OP, no one who thinks Russia "hacked the election" should be allowed to vote.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that Russia and the Trump Administration conspired to interfere with the election except for the evidence indicating that Russian operatives hacked DNC servers and then contacted Trump Campaign officials to set up meetings where they would share that information for the purpose of damaging the Clinton campaign but other than that there is absolutely no evidence

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

BloodyScab posted:

I'm sorry the DNC got hacked and the corruption got exposed. Thats what you are complaining about.

Lol what corruption? That a bunch of career DNC staffers thought Bernie Sanders, who is kind of a pain in the rear end, is kind of a pain in the rear end? OK.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Isn't there no real evidence that the Russians hacked DNC servers and in fact didn't the DNC refuse to even let the FBI see the servers or investigate?

Isn't the evidence that it was Russians is that they found cyrillic characters in some of the code according to some private security company hired by the DNC?

At this point the entire US intelligence community has agreed that the evidence that they have reviewed is conclusive and points to a Russian source or sources. Obviously we're not privy to all of it, but unless you think they're just making it up out of thin air, it's probably fair to assume they have a rational basis for their conclusion. Besides which in what way is hacking a political opponent in any way off-brand for Putin? He's done that all over Europe and the former Soviet republics so there's absolutely no reason to believe he wouldn't do it in the US

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

BloodyScab posted:

Then it was no big deal then with no harm done. What are you complaining about?

The harm is the fact that it was a crime. Saying that hacking into the DNC's email server isn't a crime because the hackers didn't find anything particularly interesting is like saying that robbing a bank isn't a crime if the vault is empty

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

You mean career DNC staffers favored the lifelong Democrat with an established and large donor base over the guy who wasn't really a Democrat and routinely called the DNC a bunch of corrupt crooks? HOW SHOCKING.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Didn't several journalists get into trouble beacuse the entire intelligence community did not actually agree with that at all?

And now we're dealing with circumstantial evidence. "Who stands to benefit?" is the exact same logic as saying Bush did 9/11

So your position is that the entire US intelligence community is making this up?

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

BloodyScab posted:

Ok. But then how did Russia Hack the Election?

I mean we're probably arguing semantics here, but it at least strongly appears that they engaged in illegal hacking, quite possibly with the knowledge and approval of the trump campaign, in connection with the election. Whether it changed the result or not I don't know, but it's a problem either way

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The CEO of the DNC wants to plant stories smearing Sanders as an atheist and a jew. This is not corruption and is in fact a completely normal and impartial thing to do.

Right, they didn't want Bernie to win. He's a noisy irritating crackpot. That's a good thing. None of that is corrupt, he is an atheist and a Jew and would probably admit as much. It's not a "smear" to identify someone's religion. (For instance, I'm an atheist and a Jew myself. Go ahead and put it in the papers. Probably means I'm less electable in a national US election by the way which is why an organization like, oh, say, the DNC might be concerned with that sort of thing.)

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Last I heard it's not the entire US intelligence community by a long shot

Are you just huffing Glen Greenwald's ball fumes or do you have an actual reason to believe that Russia was not involved in this?

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Well, at last we found out what the OP's agenda behind making this thread was.

lol my evil secret moderate Democratic agenda is out COVER'S BLOWN BOYS LOOK OUT

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

CassandraZara posted:

Lol if I gotta hear the words "herd immunity" from some retarded goon who doesn't know poo poo about poo poo I swear...

This from some rear end in a top hat who thinks the only people who should be able to vote are people who don't think the DNC rigged the vote.

Oooohhhh goodie I've weeded out an anti-vaxxer

Please tell me more about your exciting beliefs

If your kids give a vaccine-preventable disease to a child who cannot for medical reasons receive a vaccine is this going to be satisfying to you personally?

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

CassandraZara posted:

My belief is that you are literally retarded

Because I'm not woke to the dangers of wireless internet?

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

CassandraZara posted:

I would unvaccinate my kids if I thought it might take out yours.

I would like a summary of your v impressive qualifications.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

B.A. in Holistic Medicine from Krisha University of course

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

CassandraZara posted:

Where'd you get some bullshit figure for losing immunity at six percent unvaccinate? I ask because I've of the first things I learned in medical school was that every disease has a different HIT, and one of the surest signs someone is just parroting poo poo they know nothing about is that they use some concrete number that should be a variable.

Also I'm a mom which makes me qualified to talk about anything.

Source was hearsay evidence from a buddy who is a doctor. I am a lawyer and don't know much about medicine so you're certainly better qualified to talk about HITs than I am but I have a hard time imagining that it is a good idea for people to be leaving their kids unvaccinated because a bunch of people on the internet said that they might catch the 'tism.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

Monos Bullet posted:

9/11 was an inside job, OP is getting the wrong conspiracy info from undercover cia operatives spreading misinformation online. now he's fallen for the russian election hoax, another attempt by the intelligence agencies to promote perpetual war. and he thinks his or anyone's vote counts for anything :jerkbag:

You are either exactly who I'm talking about or a pretty great satirist

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Standard DNC move when something embarrassing gets revealed is to falsely claim that everybody already knew and that it doesn't mean anything.

Other than generally not wanting Bernie Sanders to win, I am genuinely not aware of any illegal or otherwise improper behavior revealed by the actually-illegal DNC hacks. I'm pretty open about my moderate-Dem actual-neoliberal bias so it's not particularly shocking that I don't see anything wrong with not wanting Bernie Sanders to win, but even if you support the guy you have to understand why career Democratic staffers would find him obnoxious and say as much in what they reasonably believed to be their private emails. The "smoking gun" people always point to is that email speculating about whether voters in rural and southern states would find his lack of religion off-putting. That's not much of a smoking gun since (1) that's something that virtually everyone involved in Democratic politics was speculating about in 2016 and (2) there's no real evidence that any action was taken pursuant to it, let alone action that had a demonstable negative effect on Bernie's campaign.

Relatedly, did you read My Revolution? (EDit: Our Revolution, whatever it was called) Dude went through his campaign rally by rally and made sure to mention the size of the crowd at each one. Does that remind you of anyone?

Boof Bonser fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 15, 2017

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

Prester Jane posted:

There is an actual serious but complicated answer to your questions here.

This is a good post I love Hofstander. Also you'll probably like Fantasyland by Kurt Andersen finishing that was basically my inspiration for this thread.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Either you've never read the actual e-mail, or you're intentionally mischaracterizing it as you have pretty much every other factual claim you've made here.

This is specifically proposing actions to try and hurt Sanders' standing with certain demographics. Actions, not opinions. And not just random "staffers" are in this message chain, it includes the Chief Executive Officer of the DNC, who says "amen".

1.) What inaccurate factual statements have I made and how are they inaccurate?
2.) Do you actually believe in any conspiracies or are you just a pissed off Bernie diehard?
3.) Is there an iota of evidence that Bernie's campaign was hurt by people asking questions about his religion to which everyone who was even moderately informed already knew the answer?

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

Lime Tonics posted:

Lots Of Cities Have The Same Lead Pipes That Poisoned Flint
And there’s no plan to dig them up.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lead-pipes-everywhere_us_56a8e916e4b0f71799288f54

Right but this is a real issue. Actual known facts can show us why this is a problem. And it's not a conspiracy so much as local governmental entities being cheap and lovely. That's pretty drat distinguishable from wild-eyed nonsense about fluoride being put in the tap water for mind control.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Hillary was a Goldwater Girl lol

And Bernie wrote terrible erotic poetry. We all do dumb poo poo when we're young.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

So now you're moving the goalposts again from "it was just harmless opinions" to "yes they were proposing improper actions but can you prove actual harm?"

Pretty much every factual statement you've made so far has been inaccurate to the point where misremembering is almost less likely than just being intentionally deceitful about every single thing lol

You know what's kinda funny though?

How Bernie Sanders is going to die pretty soon without ever having been President of the United States.

We have Trump, which really sucks, so there's that running against me. But it'll still be fun when Bernie dies having never been president.

Suck my balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Tell me the truth: did you cry on election night when Hillary lost?

lol

I drat near wanted to. The President is literally Donald Trump. That is a bad thing.

• Locked thread