Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I watched some of CJacobs' stream of the game (only the parts that you covered) and all I can say is, you're handling those white ladies a lot better than he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So was that large house from the begginning of the video unenterable?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
That's a nice shotgun.

I also love that bit with the priest, instead of Sebastian being an idiot and running over to the priest(then getting jumpscared), or Sebastian approaching the priest carefully with the gun(then getting jumpscared), we get this instead. Also cool that there's still a decent variety of different headstab animations depending on positioning and such.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mraagvpeine posted:

I watched some of CJacobs' stream of the game (only the parts that you covered) and all I can say is, you're handling those white ladies a lot better than he did.

*extremely hank hill voice* Boy they are the stuff of nightmares I tell you hwat

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I dunno how much of a backlog you have, but I hope you plan to get the second crouching speed upgrade. I definitely appreciate how with each video your careful gameplay style becomes faster and more efficient!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how the armory was largely ransacked. Internal security seems to have done quite a bit of work trying to contain whatever this is. And failing.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Aumanor posted:

So was that large house from the begginning of the video unenterable?

The two story house he got to the second floor of had an enter sign on one of the doors up there but Scruffy got distracted by the white lady attack and completely missed it.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

The two story house he got to the second floor of had an enter sign on one of the doors up there but Scruffy got distracted by the white lady attack and completely missed it.

I...will go back and check. It'll probably be a bit edited but I gotta look now.

Anyway! More video!

10: Truck Stopped/Polsy

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So did you ever get that sniper rifle barrel?

EDIT: Oh good, you did.

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 22, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

watching this. Their dreamscape environment is incredibly boring though. Where are the crystalline towers, weird gravity, ice-cream castles and impossible geometries?

... is the twist that everyone plugged into the machine, was an accountant?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

More or less, yes. Keeps everyone tame and docile that way. No one wants a super awesome adventure world when they can have safe streets, regular church services and a good, family friendly economy.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I rewatched the video before last; I definitely mistook the bizarre climb prompt for a door prompt. I then thought maybe I saw an open window but realized that was just a reflection of the bottle up there. Mea culpa!

double nine posted:

watching this. Their dreamscape environment is incredibly boring though. Where are the crystalline towers, weird gravity, ice-cream castles and impossible geometries?

... is the twist that everyone plugged into the machine, was an accountant?

They're trying to convince everyone plugged into the machine not a part of Mobius that they're in a real yet utopic small town. The stuff you think you want is actually sorta happening most likely courtesy of the weird camera knife guy and if you played/saw the previous game you'd know that it's partly to blame for the people turning into monsters (the stress causes minds to break down catastrophically).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I guess that's as good an explanation as any. I'm a bit bummed that "here's an awesome premise, let's make the most mundane environments possible with them, with body horror" is the direction they went with.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

double nine posted:

I guess that's as good an explanation as any. I'm a bit bummed that "here's an awesome premise, let's make the most mundane environments possible with them, with body horror" is the direction they went with.

You'll probably like the first game a bit more then. No ice cream castles but the environments are considerably more freeform.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I can tell you this much, Scruffy: we didn't start the fire.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I don't know that how this game ends, but by the end of the first game the pretense of the world in the simulation resembling the real world is pretty much murdered.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:

double nine posted:

Well in this bit they have. I'm hoping eventually we'll get to some crazy twisted sub level of this joined consciousness. Where it's all psychedelic and symbolic of some greater meaning.

Though thinking about it, they'll probably just do an interior of some abandoned "spooky" building. I understand why they won't, but I really wish they'd just fill the world with crazy mental stuff, like gigantic creations of the Id tearing the entire world to pieces on the skyline as we have to traverse a bridge made of other people's embarrassing memories that Seb has to wade through as the social stigma literally threatens to drown him in a rising tide of anxiety and stress, maybe represented by rising floodwaters of cold sweat. No instead we'll probably go through some memory of a mental hospital and find some door shaped like an eye which we have to climb through to get to the central brain chamber because the eye is the window into the soul or something.

Maybe it will improve, it certainly looks fun to play. But I'm disappointed with the playground of options they could have gone for they essentially settled on zombies and literally "anywhere USA". Then again, maybe they're just lulling us into a false sense of security and they're just going to let rip out of nowhere

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Mobius is deeply invested in the STEM system but also still fiddling with it. Maybe their vision for the future really is just this mundane, but I think using a more grounded setting as they develop the system is more likely.
And while Mobius wants to advance humanity, they also want to control it. We're very much looking at the control part here. No crystal spire escher castles for regular people.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
You know, I bet the secret way to progress in the truck place is that you need to set the oil on fire, so it burns away that board.

It's ridiculous, but it might be it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
That or maybe the prompt for ol' SeaBass to remove the board doesn't appear until you try the door first? It seemed like the camera panned over to the board over a gap they very obviously wanted you to see and do something with, but maybe that was just Scruffy moving the camera.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think the problem with creating a crazy mindscape is that you've still got this stealth horror gameplay you want to operate into it. If the place is too outrageous it gets harder to convey line of sight or where cover is. But everybody understands walls and bushes.

I'm kind of impressed at the range you actually can engage with enemies at, though sniper bullets and harpoon bolts both feel pretty rare.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Also, having all sorts of creepy ghosties and ghoulies and long-legged beasties in a fantastic dreamworld of diamond spires etc. just isn't scary. One of the creatures that scares me the most in this game is that singing lady, and she wouldn't have been half as effective if you first encountered her in a tower of skulls. The juxtaposition of the unnatural and the natural is what makes things frightening.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Horror enemies in a fantastic shiny dreamland palace should be copies of yourself that imitate what you do, and when alerted, rush you and try to crush your skull.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

PurpleXVI posted:

You know, I bet the secret way to progress in the truck place is that you need to set the oil on fire, so it burns away that board.

It's ridiculous, but it might be it.

paragon1 posted:

That or maybe the prompt for ol' SeaBass to remove the board doesn't appear until you try the door first? It seemed like the camera panned over to the board over a gap they very obviously wanted you to see and do something with, but maybe that was just Scruffy moving the camera.
I did both of these things in the section I cut out, neither one worked. But no worries! I do get in there later.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I rewatched the video before last; I definitely mistook the bizarre climb prompt for a door prompt. I then thought maybe I saw an open window but realized that was just a reflection of the bottle up there. Mea culpa!

Yeah, I double checked and there's no way in on the second floor. As far as I can tell it's all outside.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Glazius posted:

That entire ball of chains. Why? Just why?

Mraagvpeine posted:

I guess Sebastian really is the master of unlocking.

It's the Gordian knot and Sebastian is like Alexander, thinking outside the box.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

dscruffy1 posted:

I did both of these things in the section I cut out, neither one worked. But no worries! I do get in there later.

And then after all that effort, it turns out you find an herb and two units of gunpowder.

Also I think that robot animal toy you picked up is one of the mecha guard dogs from Wolfenstein: the New Order. It looks a lot like it, in any case.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Oh right. We were in STEM searching for...something.

11: Back On The Plot/Polsy

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I was expecting something to pop out of that dumpster.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Im waiting for all this to wrap up only to find out that Sebastian's daughter is just a brain in a jar.

I really hope Im wrong.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah I thought it was really weird he didn't demand to see her body before being sent in.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Im waiting for all this to wrap up only to find out that Sebastian's daughter is just a brain in a jar.

I really hope Im wrong.

I am pretty much 100% certain that's the case.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I really hope Im wrong.

I'm betting it's not his daughter. She died in the fire, Mobius is lying to him to get him to find whatever it is they're trying to get him to find.

I don't trust Mobius at all.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

dscruffy1 posted:

Oh right. We were in STEM searching for...something.

11: Back On The Plot/Polsy

Ah, that old open-world question. How do you put a plot lock on a place? A door that refuses to open? A barricade that gets removed?

I think they might have done a little more with this. Like, have the entrance gate fuzz out when we tried to interact with it and Kidman pipes up about blah blah blah resonance synchronization blah blah blah signal resolution blah blah blah player you're not supposed to be here yet.

Maybe a little too gamey, but it beats burning time and resources on trying to get to something that would come free if you waited.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Glazius posted:

Ah, that old open-world question. How do you put a plot lock on a place? A door that refuses to open? A barricade that gets removed?

I think they might have done a little more with this. Like, have the entrance gate fuzz out when we tried to interact with it and Kidman pipes up about blah blah blah resonance synchronization blah blah blah signal resolution blah blah blah player you're not supposed to be here yet.

Maybe a little too gamey, but it beats burning time and resources on trying to get to something that would come free if you waited.

They do something similar in a later area and even use the synchronization excuse. That's the part I've played up to so far, which is chapter 6. The thing with this is I don't mind it being a plot lock but they could make it more apparent. With the REALLY OBVIOUS plywood I mean duh of course that's where you go in, wait why doesn't this work I must be missing something.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

dscruffy1 posted:

They do something similar in a later area and even use the synchronization excuse. That's the part I've played up to so far, which is chapter 6. The thing with this is I don't mind it being a plot lock but they could make it more apparent. With the REALLY OBVIOUS plywood I mean duh of course that's where you go in, wait why doesn't this work I must be missing something.

Please tell me you remember you have a sniper rifle by then. That whole part with the crossbow and that large monster was agonizing

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I think I've found the worst enemy in the game holy crap these dudes are rude

12: Creepy Crawlies/Polsy

cokerpilot posted:

Please tell me you remember you have a sniper rifle by then. That whole part with the crossbow and that large monster was agonizing

Good news, I grab the sniper rifle and it encourages me to turn on Aim Assist. I still haven't gotten good with the crossbow though, it's kinda hard to use?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Dang, chapter 6? Then you're pretty well ahead of where the LP is. How many chapters are there actually?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Welp, I guess the daily updates had to end someday.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Aumanor posted:

Welp, I guess the daily updates had to end someday.

And that day will be when the game is done, duh. It's been a busy day and I just got home after 16 hours.

13: Fond Memories/Polsy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Ooh, a bit Remember Citadel there.

I'm starting to think Sebastian might be unwittingly introducing his own horrors into this STEM and making things worse the longer he's around.

• Locked thread