Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just started episode three and absolutely loving the show.

Glad to see Anna Torv!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Man that was an awesome first season and I can't wait for the second.

X-O posted:

Holy poo poo, that Richard Speck interview in episode nine is something else. Jesus.

That was simply terrifying and intriguing

I'll put this in spoilers just in case.
I'm unsure what the payoff with BTK is. He killed 10 people over 17 years, stopped for 14 years and got caught by sending a floppy disk to the police.
My first guess would be showin his life more and it's parallel with Ford, Trench and Carr are doing. Or they do some massive time jumps between seasons.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Groovelord Neato posted:

heh. i meant serial killers. the vast majority are of average or sub average intelligence. ed kemper is the only one off the top of my head that had/had a genius level intellect and even he had menial jobs like the dennis raders and gary ridgeways.

Ted Kaczynski (aka Unabomber) is probably the smartest and if it wasn't for his brother going to the FBI there's a good choice he wouldn't of been caught. But he didn't kill the same way or the reasons like the 3 you mentioned.

I would consider being a doctor above average so I would add in Harold Shipman who was found guilty of 15 murders but could have killed 250 of his patients. Going with another doctor would be HH Holmes.

While only having 1 victim, Leopold and Loeb would mention. They basically killed a kid to prove how smart they actually were but a pair of glasses fell out of Leopold's pocket and led to the two of them.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

viral spiral posted:

I don't know how these people stay sane after looking at the most hosed up crime scenes imaginable along with interviewing the psychopaths responsible for them years at a time. Holy gently caress.

Look up the wikipedia on Bittaker and Norri. They truly brought out the worst in each other. It's disturbing and bad as all serial killers are. Short version is they kidnapped, tortured, raped and murdered 5 girls in 1979. What is more disturbing is an audio tape of one of the tortures exists. It's played by the FBI to desensitize their agents to what actual torture sounds like.

While the audio was never released to the public it was played during the trail for the courtroom and jurors. NBC news was filming outside and if you listen closely to it you can hear the screams.

I can't link timestamps but skip to 26:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY4YmVi4_LQ

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Some news

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/04/mindhunter-season-2-directors-david-fincher-andrew-dominik-1201954817/

Finch is back to direct the season 2 premiere and finale
Andrew Dominik and Carl Franklin will also be directing
Season 2 will only be 8 episodes long, 2 less then the 1st
Season 2 will deal with the Atlanta Child Murders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

whatever7 posted:

Question for true crime readers, do you think traditional serial killer is no longer as trendy in America? Do you think they have moved to planned public act of terrorist killing/shooting? Or do you know we still have as many serial killers secretly running around and killing people in the night but they just don't get as much media attention anymore?

For the most part yes. I think a large part of the reason is over the past few decades serial killers became in vogue so to say. They became popular to learn about and see in our TV shows and movies. A reason they aren't as trendy these days I think has to do with time. Mass shootings or terrorist acts are usually a single massive incident that is covered relentlessly for days or weeks. It is also what scares people more thanks to that as well. Most people don't think, these days, that they will be a victim of a serial killer but a mass shooting instead. That isn't always the case. During Son of Sam in New York people were legit terrified. Women would change their hairstyles so they didn't look like the victims of his. Same thing goes The Nightstalker.

For serial killers it takes a long time for them to even get recognize or known to operate at all. Until they are really caught, like the recent Golden State Killer the vast majority of people might not even know a serial killer existed. Once they are caught then people will learn and be interested in it. And to agree with what Henchman of Santa stated. Most of the recognizable names in serial killer history are in jail or dead.

There is going to be another Gacy, Dahmer or even a Ridgway one day and they might even be out there now operating. But until they are caught the media really won't report on it. Unless you are that into true crime and serial killers the general population just doesn't know.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 30, 2018

• Locked thread