Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

I'm guessing either BTK will stay on the periphery for the whole story or the show will jump ahead long periods of time between episodes/seasons going forward.

I don't think that the BTK would necessarily be part of a second season. The way that I interpreted the second half of the show was that they were essentially showing that profiling is non-scientific and very dangerous in the hands of overconfident people. Both Dr. Carr and Holden's girlfriend go out of their way to argue that what he is doing is not scientific and has no predictive value. His girlfriend correctly points out that in the Georgia case he was working backwards from a conclusion. The BTK reference, to me at least, seems to be there just to really drive home the point that profiling isn't what its cracked up to be. After all, the BTK case is perhaps the most egregious example of the failures of profiling. There may have been cases where the profilers were "more" wrong, such as in the beltway sniper case. But the BTK case is remarkable in that there were several profiles done, and ultimately all of them were wrong.

This show isn't the story of a detective becoming Sherlock Holmes. It's the story of a detective destroying people's lives (such as the school principal) because he thinks he is Sherlock Holmes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

viral spiral posted:

...that school principal definitely needed to be fired, dude. He'll probably show up in S2 raping children or some poo poo. Holden saw him leave the supermarket towards the end of the show; I definitely don't think we have seen the last of him.

The point isn't whether he needed to be fired. The point is Holden's confidence in recommending so.

And I am pretty sure that, if we see him again, it's not to show that Holden was right (though Fincher has already said that next season will focus on the Atlanta child murders, a case where it was solved by means that had nothing to do with profiling, and are only related because in the book version of Mindhunter it claims that the person arrested for it didn't commit all the murders)
The entire second half of the season is essentially making GBS threads on Holden. Carr spends the entire second half talking about how what he is doing isn't scientific and worthless as forming a predictive model. Debbie spends the entire second half of the season poking holes in his overconfidence and pointing out that he was working backwards from a conclusion. All frequently punctuated by scenes with perhaps the most notorious example of a failure of profiling, which was the BTK case. And then, just in case the viewer didn't get the message, the last scene is Kemper loving with Holden just to make a point to Holden that Holden couldn't explain even his own actions.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

CountFosco posted:

That principle was absolutely out of line. They gave him opportunity after opportunity to cut the poo poo and he wouldn't take it. The face that he refused to cease the behavior, despite the warning, demonstrates that the behavior had a powerful importance to him. That principal made his own choices and now he has to live with them. That is the most justifiable thing he did.

Did you keep reading the thread, to the point where I specifically addressed this? Where did you get anything about the principal not being out of line?

Again, the point isn't whether that principal deserved to be fired (which the show makes clear that the board was already leaning towards). The point is Holden feeling so completely certain of his "method" that he was willing to make a recommendation as an FBI agent despite the fact that a) his research never dealt with that scenario, b) everyone around him told him not to get involved. The point there isn't Holden justifiably getting a principal fired. It's Holden branding the guy a likely future serial killer.

• Locked thread