Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish the show had less of their personal lives because it's the weakest part of the show and the music choices are terrible (psycho killer? give me a break) but the actual mindhunting parts are insanely good. too bad profiling is bullshit.

pentyne posted:

Yeah I can't imagine people not wanting to learn more about Kemper. Listening to him talk he is spellbinding and a complete shock compared to the typical media portrayal of deranged serial killer. He's made no attempt to whitewash or pretend he's anything other then he is and it is insane.

Listening to his describing his troubles communicating with women is brutally honest, and now we live in a world where we have r/incel and entire websites devoted to adult men saying extremely similar things and projecting their rage and anger against women and other men. It's pretty terrifying.

they have kemper interviews on youtube and a lot of the dialogue on the show was taken from them verbatim. even the "now you've had sex" line.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

And one more minor thing: Holden makes Gary listen to the Toolbox Murderers, but those guys didn't go on their spree until 1979, two years after this season takes place. The point is clear though--those guys were more hosed up and sadistic than anyone we did see. Read through their Wikipedia page at your own peril.

one of the detectives who listened to it killed himself years later. i wish i had never read the transcript.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i would find the personal life stuff uninteresting either way. even if it was well written i wouldn't care.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

precision posted:

While this might be particularly sad right now, I think it's probably been true of even some "good" Presidents. Serial killers are so dangerous usually because they're so smart.

most are not smart.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

heh. i meant serial killers. the vast majority are of average or sub average intelligence. ed kemper is the only one off the top of my head that had/had a genius level intellect and even he had menial jobs like the dennis raders and gary ridgeways.

dennis rader got caught because he believed the cops when they said a computer diskette wasn't traceable.

zoux posted:

I dunno if I'd say dopier but TV Kemper is definitely creepier and more affected than irl Kemper. His mustache is creepier as well. But it's neat how they are able to use his words almost verbatim and create such a chilling and unsettling character on the screen.

i think by "dopier" he means tv kemper has a thicker accent which is true.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bundy was mostly lucky and was charismatic. the guy was dumb enough to fill his apartment with stolen poo poo to the point his gf noticed.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah it's 10 little indians/and then there were none directed by renny harlin and starring ladies love cool james.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i've been "into" serial killers for years but i hate them all. some more than others. i probably hate william bonin the most.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

wuornos is boring apart from being a woman serial killer that killed violently (since they usually poison and poo poo). her brain turned to mush in prison, was pretty sad to see.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

psh as if i don't know about the green river killer. heck i remember when we still didn't know who it was.

i dunno how the show is going to do btk and green river cuz they weren't found for decades. also because the profile of btk was wrong.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it would be but the profile was also very vague so they could could argue it was sorta right and with the guy who made it consulting i doubt they'd want to paint him in a bad light.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

in their profile they just did a sort of cold reading type thing (which is most profiling). they'd say he'd be bad with women. but might have lots of women friends. his iq would be above 105 (so average). he'd be selfish in bed. jerk off a lot. drive a decent car. might be married. might be divorced. might be a loner who never married. might have a connection with the military. i think they said he might rent his place.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he wasn't an incel he was married with two kids. the point was most men masturbate and are selfish lovers. all men are also married or divorced or never married.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zaggitz posted:

The thing that fascinates me about Serial Killers is finding out how utterly bizarre and pathetic they are in any situation that isn't them killing. Especially BTK, you read up everything about him unrelated to his murders and he was fuckin idiot who couldn't spell to save his life(the cops thought he was doing it as an act, he wasn't.) and kept badly ripping off poetry in his letters. He almost accidentally died trying to take some pictures of himself in bondage gear in the woods because he tied himself up too tight and struggled for hours before breaking free. He's an absolute loving dweeb who just also happens to be a monster on the side.

he'd also fine people when their grass was like 1/4 of an inch too high.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i mentioned it earlier in the thread but one of the detectives on that case killed himself.

i've read the transcript and it bothered me more than probably anything i've read/heard/seen in my life. it's the one thing i wish i could unknow.

Digital Jedi posted:

I can't link timestamps but skip to 26:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY4YmVi4_LQ

gently caress me.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 12, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

viral spiral posted:

I'm sure you have a source for this

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2007/11/12/dangerous-minds

especially the end

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Big Bidness posted:

You're not wrong about John Douglas, but Malcolm Gladwell is also often full of poo poo.

It's pretty hilarious reading John Douglas defending Karla Hmolka in one of his first books. He paints her as an absolute victim, with no shred of doubt that her husband brainwashed her into covering up his crimes through fear and abuse.

After he wrote that profile, a video tape was found that showed that Karla was not only an active participant in the torture and murders her and Paul Bernardo committed, she was probably the dominant personality. Whoops.

it's kinda dumb you can't renege on a deal if new evidence comes to light showing one side was full of poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a lot of innocent (black or poor or both) people go to jail by taking deals cuz they don't wanna take the chance of being convicted and going away for much longer.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the only thing in common between mass shooters and serial killers is they both kill. motives, means, etc are all very different.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish it was just mindhunting and no personal lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah it should just be the ed kemper show.

• Locked thread