Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The dude playing Kemper is super creepy and menacing, good job there.

Does the lead remind anyone else of Glenn Howerton?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know profiling is bullshit but I'm ok with pretending it's true for TV purposes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the show is very aware that serial killers and police procedurals around serial killers are so ingrained in the culture that they have to kind of de-train us to put us in the mindset of a person in the 70s. That's why so much of the pilot is dedicated to extremely awkward dialogue that's basically "We don't know that serial killers are a thing" but it pays off much better with the Roger storyline. To us in 2017, tickling kids feet is so obviously inappropriate that we can't believe it's even an argument, but back then, at least as the show tells it, people weren't as cynical or cautious. I think it's interesting that the show leaves it ambiguous about Roger, is he really a pedo or is he just part of a less suspicious culture? Is there really something there or is Holden just becoming infected with paranoia because he spends all his time mentally immersed in the world of serial killers? The show's opinion, it seems, is that serial killers were both a symptom of the malaise of the 70s but also a cause of our increasing cynicism and distrust of fellow citizens. When you have a friend go on a Tinder date, the worst case scenario that gets joked about is "hope he's not a serial killer" but that's indicative of how common this idea of monstrous killers live hidden among us is, and how that poisons us in a way.

Also Sequence Killer sounds better than Serial Killer and we should go back.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think I'm being controversial when I say that the interview scenes, both those with the captured killers and the interview room grillings, are far and away the best part of the show. I imagine since they can't have characters on the show get in on irl serial killer catching, going forward they'll catch these little nascent serial killers that history doesn't remember. Though all the caught killers, down to that guy who wants Big Red, were/are real people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, given the history of Rader, I don't know how they're gonna work that in the show before season 15, maybe just have him going after him and never catching him?

Next season will deal with the Atlanta Child Murders

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 16, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfqD5WqChUY

A short video discussing Fincher's style and use of camera movement.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's so creepy when he starts talking about "getting pussy".

People/critics complain about the Debbie stuff, but the intent there I think is to show how Holden's work is changing his attitude toward women/sex. The show definitely argues that serial killers have serious problems relating to and understanding women and that their violence is uniquely focused on women. Do you serial killer buffs know if that was borne out by history? I know Dahmer targeted young gay men so maybe it isn't a specific pathology regarding women but rather regarding whoever the killer is oriented towards.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I also thought they paid off the "sympathy" Kemper gets from the audience through what is a compelling and ultimately endearing performance by the actor because in a way the audience becomes like Holden, they forget that this guy is a horrifying monster and not a quirky weirdo, so it's shocking to us when he slams his feet to the floor and moves preternaturally quickly to cut Holden off from the exit. The audience realizes kind of at the same time as the character how dangerous and menacing Kemper is, and how Holden has basically been in a cage with a tiger the whole time. Very well directed scene.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

life is killing me posted:

Am I wrong, or do guys who play serial killers well to the degree that the Kemper actor did (forget his name) not typically get awards? I see inspiration roles and biographical roles get more awards than anything.

Also, he played Kemper so well that I'd be no-poo poo scared of the actor if I saw him on the street.

Well there was this one fella named Anthony Hopkins...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

esperterra posted:

Just when I thought this show was already pitch perfect, a gay Lena Olin appeared.

It's like Fincher has cracked open my skull.

Oh that's Lena Olin? She comes up in crosswords all the time but I've never looked her up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's more of a device to show how the public at large isn't suspicious in the same way we are now and also how Holden is letting the paranoia from his work infect his interactions everywhere. The show could've easily resolved whether the guy was or wasn't molesting kids, and either prove Holden is right or wrong, but it leaves it ambiguous in order to reinforce his growing suspicious nature.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I did a heh and then listened to that good rear end song.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Comparison between Kemper in the show and his irl interviews.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDYBmNYc8IA

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I feel like TV Ed Kemper is being played with a slightly more dopey voice. Maybe so that you get lulled into thinking he's dopey and then being more surprised when you realize how cognizant he is.

I dunno if I'd say dopier but TV Kemper is definitely creepier and more affected than irl Kemper. His mustache is creepier as well. But it's neat how they are able to use his words almost verbatim and create such a chilling and unsettling character on the screen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/netw3rk/status/933018914245640192

You may not get the NBA jokes but this guy's Kemper impression is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Renewed for season 2.

• Locked thread