Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Kurtofan posted:

Ill buy a new kingdoms dlc where mario visit brinstar and hyrule

There are still some gamers out there who can't process the idea of a Mario game having DLC though. Even though NSMB2 had it as well as U having an expansion pack. Not to mention the DLC some of the spin-off games have gotten like Mario Kart and the 3DS golf game.

Like it's over dudes, DLC is here to stay and never going away. You just have to hope it's good DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Like it's over dudes, DLC is here to stay and never going away. You just have to hope it's good DLC.

So far, in general, Nintendo DLC has been quality content worthy of the pricetag. That, or free updates which is also cool and good.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

There are still some gamers out there who can't process the idea of a Mario game having DLC though. Even though NSMB2 had it as well as U having an expansion pack. Not to mention the DLC some of the spin-off games have gotten like Mario Kart and the 3DS golf game.

My opinion of Nintendo and DLC used to be unflappable - Luigi U was rad, the DLC for MK8 was stellar, etc. They were one of the few companies doing it right consistently

But I really don't like what they did with Breath of the Wild. The concept of a Season Pass rubbed me the wrong way, and I don't think the content they've released so far really belongs behind a paywall. We still know nothing about the main content of the DLC that's ostensibly releasing in less than 9 weeks - other than it seems like yet another chance to sell more amiibo

If I had to guess I'd say SMO will almost surely fall on the "MK8" side of the fence, which is great, but "Successful Nintendo" isn't always as consumer-focused as "Panic Nintendo"

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Your Computer posted:

As someone with a broke brain/eyes who couldn't play the Galaxy games without getting sick, words cannot express how excited I am to finally play a new proper 3D Mario game where up is up and down is down :toot:

This game is gonna be the best.

Holy gently caress I'm glad i'm not the only one. I wanted so badly to like the Galaxy games but the controls and perspective hosed with me badly, and I don't usually have that kind of problem. I might try them again because I know they're incredible games. I'm just glad someone else ran into this

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Vookatos posted:

Peach's Castle is gonna be Mario's Mother Base, where he can go to visit all the enemies that he "captured".

luigi... i'ma already a mushroom.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Vookatos posted:

Peach's Castle is gonna be Mario's Mother Base, where he can go to visit all the enemies that he "captured".

Are you making poo poo up boy. Cause if so your in for a world of hurt

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
"I won'ta scatter your fire'a flowers to the heartless soda lake, I will'a always be-a with you."

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is SMO DLC confirmed?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
A new mainline Mario game is about the safest bet in videogames. For once, I have pre-ordered a videogame (largely because Amazon was taking pre-orders for £40 rather than the sadly now traditional £50).

Waltzing Along posted:

Is SMO DLC confirmed?

No, but it'll be a complete surprise if it doesn't happen.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

The kingdom calls for-a jumpwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Would people really be upset if we got a kingdom in the Bean Bean Kingdom? That seems like the strangest place to throw under the bus considering how wild and weird the locale is.

I'd gladly sacrifice dinosaur land or the jungle to get one of the rpg settings.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Would people really be upset if we got a kingdom in the Bean Bean Kingdom? That seems like the strangest place to throw under the bus considering how wild and weird the locale is.

I'd gladly sacrifice dinosaur land or the jungle to get one of the rpg settings.

I'd be so upset I'd consider giving Odyssey a 9/10 instead of a 10/10.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
One thing I just realized - we have yet to see a plain ol' grass kingdom. The first kingdom seems to be the Halloween Town looking place, and the default kingdom in all the ads is New Donk City. Even the demo at Target is set in the sand kingdom

without looking it up, that's gotta be the 1st time ever for a mario platformer

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

WarpDogs posted:

One thing I just realized - we have yet to see a plain ol' grass kingdom. The first kingdom seems to be the Halloween Town looking place, and the default kingdom in all the ads is New Donk City. Even the demo at Target is set in the sand kingdom

without looking it up, that's gotta be the 1st time ever for a mario platformer

Cascade is like a grass and waterfall kingdom

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm so torn. I don't have a switch but I have an autistic obsession with owning physical copies of games, instead of digital downloads...

Mario 3D world was kinda unspired, so it's nice Odyssey looks like it'll go back up to Galaxy's quality standard.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I'm gonna buy this game digitally so that it'll be on my Switch forever and I can start it up literally whenever I want

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's less people would be upset if we got a Bean Bean Kingdom level and more people would/are upset we aren't getting one in this game. It's like people who got bent out of shape Daisy wasn't playable in 3D World or that the Koopalings* didn't appear in an games until Super Star Saga and after that, not in any sort of prominent form until NSMB Wii. There's always conflicting contingents when it comes to what gets represented in a game callback wise.

*It seems odd to think now but pre-NSMB Wii there was always a small group of fans who hated the fact that the Koopalings were being neglected in favor of Bowser Jr. and those Koopa Kids from the first few Mario Party games. Like some went so far as to believe the devs were deliberately keeping them out of any new Mario games.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

Previous mario 3d famitsu scores for fun

Super Mario 64: 39/40
Super Mario Sunshine: 38/40
Super Mario Galaxy: 38/40
Super Mario Galaxy 2: 37/40
Super Mario 3D Land: 38/40
Super Mario 3D World: 38/40
Super Mario Odyssey: 39/40

Buger Mario Wros: 3/59

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cuntellectual posted:

Mario 3D world was kinda unspired

Uh....

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Cuntellectual posted:

I'm so torn. I don't have a switch but I have an autistic obsession with owning physical copies of games, instead of digital downloads...

Mario 3D world was kinda unspired, so it's nice Odyssey looks like it'll go back up to Galaxy's quality standard.

After selling my Wii U to buy the Switch and losing all my digital games in the process, this is my first console I’m going all physical where I can again. I wasn’t playing them so it wasn’t worth keeping, but it still hurt not having that much extra money to throw at the Switch that I would have had if they were physical copies.

Eh. I kinda agree. It was fun but it wasn’t in the vein of the other 3D Mario’s in my opinion.

Pug Rodeo fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 18, 2017

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
There's a lot of different types of Mario fan out there. But people who like 3D World more than Galaxy, or Galaxy 2 more than Galaxy, are so wrong it makes me so angry! grrrrrrrrrrr

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
3D World was a great game but I feel like it was more like a "2D Mario but in three dimensions" than it was a "3D Mario"... does that make sense?

TheHoosier posted:

Holy gently caress I'm glad i'm not the only one. I wanted so badly to like the Galaxy games but the controls and perspective hosed with me badly, and I don't usually have that kind of problem. I might try them again because I know they're incredible games. I'm just glad someone else ran into this

We could start a support group :gbsmith::hf::gbsmith:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Your Computer posted:

3D World was a great game but I feel like it was more like a "2D Mario but in three dimensions" than it was a "3D Mario"... does that make sense?

That's exactly what 3D Land and World was aiming to be. There's essentially 2 kinds of 3D Mario games. The open world, and the linear ones with obstacles. The Galaxy games and 3D Land and World fall into the latter. While 64, Sunshine, and Odyssey fall into the former, according to Nintendo.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like 3D World better than Galaxy 1+2 because it had different playable characters and it was fun mixing things up that way. They were all ultra linear games, just one had a timer so you could stand around in one place and the other didn't.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
3D World was an incredibly loving good family game. Probably the best I've ever seen. If you don't have kids or play with kids then you may not understand.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They explictly said that they wanted 3D World to be a game that people who like 2D Mario (of which there are a lot more than 3D if sales numbers are any impression) would like to play in 3D.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I played 3D world entirely solo and I had a marvelous time. I don't get why people think multiplayer held it back.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
3D World was fantastic but I'm so excited we're going back to the style of game where you can explore huge levels and do it all at your own pace.

I hope there's even just one level that approaches the brilliance of Click Clock Wood, the greatest collectathon level of all time.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Super Mario 3D World would be perfect for the Switch.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I haven’t watched more than three minutes of gameplay video. It’s going to be fresh as hell for me. I’m hoping that it’s similar to galaxy, gameplay wise.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
me seeing this thread; oh geez already well how much is a switch anywa-

poo poo no

drat.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hedrigall posted:

3D World was fantastic but I'm so excited we're going back to the style of game where you can explore huge levels and do it all at your own pace.
:same:
3D World was cool and fun but ultimately I've been craving a new Nintendo collectathon 3D platformer since Sunshine. So, you know.. only 15 years of waiting :negative: My body is incredibly ready for the return of this genre.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea 3D World was great but I'm eager for more 'classic' 3D Mario collectathon poo poo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

Yea 3D World was great but I'm eager for more 'classic' 3D Mario collectathon poo poo

I was going to say "Classic is a strong word" but the time gap between Mario Bros and Mario 64 is almost identical to the time gap between Mario 64 and Mario Odyssey.

loving linear passing of loving time.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I'm one of the weird people who didn't really like 64/Sunshine formula (maybe because I've played them after many 3D platformers), so 3D World my favorite Mario game, mainly because it focuses on pure platforming and variety. Other 3D games had some issues with that, with similar missions of 64 (such as "go higher than last time", and Tall Tall Mountain's stars being just "reach the top") and minigames of Galaxy. 3D World sacrificed some of the controls to make the experience tighter, which I think was a nessessary step back for the kind of game they wanted. Nintendo already barely trusted players to actually use 64/Galaxy controls to actually move through the levels. Instead, everything more complicated than a long jump could only be used for skipping some small areas. 3D World was more like a Mega Man game, where you have to go through the obsticles, and I appreciate that. I really loved Mario 3, and I was glad to receive the game that's kinda similar to it in variety and challenge, but in 3D.
Still, I believe Mario Odyssey is going to be the best Mario game and possibly my favorite video game. It just looks so loving good!

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 18, 2017

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I really hope the people I've seen upset that the game doesn't feature "Already Established Kingdoms" that appeared in previous Mario spin-off titles like Beanbean Kingdom or DK Isle are just taking the piss and don't actually see their absence as a major grievance with the game.

Like yeah it'd have been neat if the Sand Kingdom we've seen had been Sarasaland and I can see the case being made for DK Isle being a place that would have been really fun for Mario to visit but at a certain point the complaints seem all too familiar to ones like fans getting legit upset their favorite spin-off characters don't show up outside of their respective sub-series and playable in games like Mario Kart.

I am absolutely not airing any greviances with how Odyssey looks and will absolutely not dock it any points for not Satisfying My Lore Cravings but having a legit, unified Mushroom Planet Map that accounted for the entire franchise would have been dope as gently caress

I wasn't really expecting it to do anything other than give us a map that works for the context of just this game. I just think that would have been incredibly cool to do.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The moon better have Wario's face on it, I didn't collect all those treasures for nothing.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Vookatos posted:

I'm one of the weird people who didn't really like 64/Sunshine formula (maybe because I've played them after many 3D platformers), so 3D World my favorite Mario game, mainly because it focuses on pure platforming and variety. Other 3D games had some issues with that, with similar missions of 64 (such as "go higher than last time", and Tall Tall Mountain's stars being just "reach the top") and minigames of Galaxy. 3D World sacrificed some of the controls to make the experience tighter, which I think was a nessessary step back for the kind of game they wanted. Nintendo already barely trusted players to actually use 64/Galaxy controls to actually move through the levels. Instead, everything more complicated than a long jump could only be used for skipping some small areas. 3D World was more like a Mega Man game, where you have to go through the obsticles, and I appreciate that. I really loved Mario 3, and I was glad to receive the game that's kinda similar to it in variety and challenge, but in 3D.
Still, I believe Mario Odyssey is going to be the best Mario game and possibly my favorite video game. It just looks so loving good!

Yeah, I definitely get this. It's not something I noticed at the time, but whenever I try to replay 64 or Sunshine i'm always surprised by how many stars - and even entire levels - that end up feeling pretty dull. I think a lot of it is the sense of discovery that's hard to re-capture when you already know the 'answer' to a star

This is also why 3D World - and 3D Land before it! - are my top Mario experiences. Unlike the NSMB games they crank up the innovation and variety up to 11, but they also have incredibly satisfying platforming that's tight and interesting and rewarding across a ton of levels and situations

I know it's a divisive game, but I'd like to think Nintendo agrees it's an important one all the same - it looks like there's more than a little 3D World DNA in Odyssey

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
All this 3D World was 2D Mario in 3D talk has reminded me I'm ready for another 2D Mario game, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
3D Land/World are excellent games, but I feel like if Nintendo continued in that style it would suffer from the same diminishing returns as the NSMB series.

• Locked thread