Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

The Bloop posted:

I get liking Galaxy more. I think Galaxy 2 is probably the best 3D mario game, too.

I really don't get this 'Tech Demo' meme about Odyssey. It's a different sort of thing to Galaxy, but it is very clearly a fully featured Mario game with at least as much of a plot as usual, mandatory and optional goals and collectibles, fully orchestrated original music, new settings and enemies, fun boss fights..... what's missing? Not different, but missing?

Yeah I saw someone else say the tech demo thing and it feels apt to me. This game is lacking in a sort of overall coherence of design and character that other 3d Marios had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Yeah I saw someone else say the tech demo thing and it feels apt to me. This game is lacking in a sort of overall coherence of design and character that other 3d Marios had.

Cappy is with you throughout and traveling to the different lands and getting travel brochures while chasing Wedding Planner Bowser.. I really don't see your complaint.

I can understand a preference for stage linearity, but many of the galaxies in the Galaxy games were at least as disjointed as the lands of Odyssey.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

The Bloop posted:

Cappy is with you throughout and traveling to the different lands and getting travel brochures while chasing Wedding Planner Bowser.. I really don't see your complaint.

I can understand a preference for stage linearity, but many of the galaxies in the Galaxy games were at least as disjointed as the lands of Odyssey.

Maybe it's the capture thing? Mario Galaxy had a bunch of disjointed worlds but aside from the bee suit and ghost Mario the powerups were pretty consistent. In all the Mario games you go to Ice World and Lava World and Spooky world etc, all different sorts of locales but you still have the same powerups and no matter where you go you still turn into Super Mario or Fire Mario or Raccoon Mario. In Odyssey the capture mechanic replaces the powerups so instead you have Dinosaur Mario in the prehistoric stage, Cheep Cheep Mario in the water stage, etc. There are still always Goombas and stuff but the fact that the world aesthetic ties so heavily into the actual gameplay this time with the transformations might be a part of that feeling of being all over the place.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Nearly all the powerups in the Galaxy games were rare and situational. SMB3 had super rare powerups in specific locations only, as did SMW. SMW2 had nearly unique transformations in specific places. SM64 had practically no powerups and they were only for specific areas. Sunshine had different packs which are a bit like the transformations in Odyssey.

SM3DW is the only 3D game that had traditional powerups spread around like the 2D games.

It must just be a subjective "feel" thing because while different for sure, Odyssey doesn't feel unfinished or unMario to me.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That stuff doesn't even feel like legitimate complaints so much as "People liked this thing so I must preserve my internet cred by not liking this thing."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DeathChicken posted:

That stuff doesn't even feel like legitimate complaints so much as "People liked this thing so I must preserve my internet cred by not liking this thing."

I tend to agree, but I'm trying to engage with it in good faith for the time being to try and suss out what's the what

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alxprit posted:

The trick isn't to jump up - but to fall down.

aaaaaaaaa i didnt realize you could turn transform back using the stops if that makes sense

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It does have more of a "theme park" vibe but that to me isn't a mark against it. For comparison, mario 64 did feel more coherent feel overall with peach's castle being the hub.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

I kind of feel like if the game is called Odyssey it's not gonna have a centralized location but instead be some hero traveling (often without his control) to a lot of exotic locations each more improbable than the last, culminating in them disrupting one or more suitors trying to have a wedding that not all parties were excited about to begin with.

But that's just me.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

mario odyssey is a cool and fun game and i hope the design gets even weirder and further out-there

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I would have been totally into more directly odyssey-related elements, like cyclopes or scylla and charybdis.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I would have been totally into more directly odyssey-related elements, like cyclopes or scylla and charybdis.

Well to be fair it does end with you arriving back home (mushroom kingdom) and then fighting off a bunch of suitors, kind of

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

The Luigi Balloon update is up.

Just need to hit + in the home menu and update the game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
:rip: Jump rope and Darker Side glitches.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Fetus posted:

So long as you can still glide right to the painting, it's all good.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Why would you ever do that unless you're speedrunning?

What's the point in beating a challenge if you never actually beat the challenge.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That Cappy is a bad mother.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Natural 20 posted:

Why would you ever do that unless you're speedrunning?

What's the point in beating a challenge if you never actually beat the challenge.

Have you seen the bullshit past that pipe?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Seen and conquered :colbert:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

The Bloop posted:

Seen and conquered :colbert:

Yup!

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Crawfish posted:

The Luigi Balloon update is up.

Just need to hit + in the home menu and update the game.

I just played a few rounds of Luigi's Balloon Fight. In addition to be a fun way to re-explore the levels, it's a great way to grind coins. When searching for balloons, Luigi gives you a list where you can see how many coins you pay (between 10 and 75ish I've seen) along with the arrow and distance to the location, and what the coin reward is (payment times 5 plus star level, except for the hoppin' location which is 10x.) Star level is basically a 'how long have you played' ranking system.

FYI, total coin count for the new duds is 13000. Knight costume was 3000/5000, Donk City musician was 500/1000, and Mario Sunshine is 1500/3000.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

lol its one of the easiest parts of the game.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

Yeah if you can't beat that I'm not sure what to tell you.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Luigi's Balloon World is pretty great.

Makes getting coins pretty trivial though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

Makes getting coins pretty trivial though.

Good. The only thing I haven't done yet in the game is grind out coins to buy the metal outfits.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Dr. Fetus posted:

Hahahaha the jump rope minigame now starts speeding up again after 110.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Good. The only thing I haven't done yet in the game is grind out coins to buy the metal outfits.

Yea I did everything but grind the coins to get to 999 stars so this is perfect.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Argue posted:

Hahahaha the jump rope minigame now starts speeding up again after 110.

Good, but doesn't matter unless they erase all the bogus records

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The beanstalk in Bowser Kingdom's still gotta be the best way to grind (if you don't mind it being repetitive.)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

The beanstalk in Bowser Kingdom's still gotta be the best way to grind (if you don't mind it being repetitive.)

time-to-money for sure, but balloon world is pretty fun of a timesink

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Teenage Fansub posted:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Seriously you can earn 10k coins in like 20 minutes playing Balloon World. It's not even close.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Cobalt Viper posted:

Seriously you can earn 10k coins in like 20 minutes playing Balloon World. It's not even close.

Given that I literally have two things to do in this game: volleyball and grinding coins, I'm pretty happy about this being added. I am a little sad they fixed the jump rope glitch though - the timing on that is horrible and skipping it with a glitch was a fantastic feeling.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

No, a section of the final bonus level is not "one of the easiest parts of the game"

Still, there's no reason to skip any of darker side, it's the most reasonable of all the hard bonus levels of the series, and pretty fun too.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Tried out Luigi's Balloon Hunt after not playing for several months.

Mario Odyssey movement tech is not like riding a bicycle. My skills have seriously atrophied. I had to look in the action menu just to remind myself how to dive. The balloons that require multiple jump techniques chained together are completely out of my reach.

:sigh:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
How do you place a balloon that requires chaining jumps? There's no option to place a balloon while Mario's in the air.

Also how do you get into that caged-in area in Bowser's Castle (the one where you need to zip in through an electric line) in 30 seconds

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Argue posted:

How do you place a balloon that requires chaining jumps? There's no option to place a balloon while Mario's in the air.
I mean more like needing to wall jump, then throw hat, and then hat bounce to get on top of something tall.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wait, you can't place a balloon in mid-air? What?

Also, why the hell would you skip Darker Side? It's the most rewarding part of the game. There's literally an option you can turn on that makes it so when you fall/die you just respawn right were you fell, instead of starting the whole thing over. Just turn that on if you aren't capable of beating a level in a Mario game you child.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I can't stop hiding balloons. Pop mine so I can hide some more

https://twitter.com/dinominal/status/967043580391931908

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

People keep hiding a balloon in mushroom kingdom that's like right under the bridge somehow and I feel like there's some clip I don't know about to get out of bounds.

• Locked thread