Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Speaking of cascade kingdom (post game spoiler)

I see on the map the X to show a moon is at both ends of the powerline next to the Odyssey but for the life of me I don't know how to get them. I've climbed to the top, ground pounded all around, I can't see any moons hovering above them. Without telling me what to do, are there actually moons to be had or is my map bugged?

I might talk to the parrot dude and see if the name gives any clues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
There are indeed moons there.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Nintendo estimates 2 million of this game sold in 3 days.

Holy hell.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just got past the AESTHETIC Kingdom and into the uh.. stuff after. Game is a masterpiece.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That you can acquire moons by the dozen just drunkenly stumbling around and buy extras from coin grinding seems to have freed up the developers to get a little nuts with a few things.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Roommate and I have been streaming our playthrough of the game, currently well into post game. Got the skeleton costume just in time for Halloween. If this isn't my favorite Mario game it's a drat strong contender.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My big disappointment with SMO is that the Shine Shirt from Super Mario Sunshine doesn't seem to be an outfit in the game :argh:.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Man that boss rush in The Dark Side of the moon bit is bad/good. I was just a single more damage hit away from beating the very final repeat when I accidentally ran under one of the exploding tassels.

Probably going to be a bit before I attempt that again.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I feel like I've scoured a lot of the kingdoms head to toe and then I look at the moon list and I'm still missing like 30+ moons. This game is great.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm so emotionally conflicted, I hated New Donk City and the fact that there were real people in a Mario game back when they first announced Odyssey but now I think it's actually amazing :confused:

It's a really good world and the LORE is awesome too (god drat that festival)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Considering that everything in New Donk City (including the city itself) is named after Donkey Kong, his family must have been extremely influential. Do you guys then suppose that his kidnapping of Pauline was politically motivated?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, Mario just running about and being a dick to regular people is great.

I don't remember the last time a platformer was so much fun. Admittedly, I am not Mr. Guy Who Likes Platformers particularly but drat. And I forgot just how comfortable joycons controls could be.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The New Donkers aren't real people, just merely what the Toads are to Peach, they are to Pauline. Peach and Pauline are the only humans.

Also its odd that apparently Donkey Kong was what named the city and not the other way around

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 31, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I appreciate that some of the screens in NDC have the classic Donkey Kong art including weird pizza box-rear end Jumpman.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Is it true that every moon is available from the start except a single one in every world? It blows my mind that I'm missing 15-20 in some worlds when I'm trying to find them all before I ledge.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, not quite. You specifically unlock quite a bit of moons in each world in the post game.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Mills posted:

Is it true that every moon is available from the start except a single one in every world? It blows my mind that I'm missing 15-20 in some worlds when I'm trying to find them all before I ledge.

No, most of them aren't around until you beat the main game

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Ah ok thanks!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Moltrey posted:

this is my hill and i will die on it.

i've gotten every possible moon in my first visit, I know I'll revisit areas in the post game, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna stop now. I'm not saying it's the right way to do things, but here we are

Please Be Breadth First

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Waffleman_ posted:

I appreciate that some of the screens in NDC have the classic Donkey Kong art including weird pizza box-rear end Jumpman.

I would love to see what a pizza box rear end looks like.

Mills posted:

Ah ok thanks!

Yeah, you can't complete a world as soon as you unlock it. Mess around in it until you get bored of it or want to see the next world, repeat.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Pollyanna posted:

I would love to see what a pizza box rear end looks like.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I hope you guys run around New Donk City in the Classic Costume exclusively post-game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I'm so emotionally conflicted, I hated New Donk City and the fact that there were real people in a Mario game back when they first announced Odyssey but now I think it's actually amazing :confused:

It's a really good world and the LORE is awesome too (god drat that festival)

the festival and song were used so much in marketing and i still was wowed by how good that part of the game was

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

the festival and song were used so much in marketing and i still was wowed by how good that part of the game was

it was powerful

what really did it for me was Pauline saying it's a celebration of New Donk's history and then, y'know, suddenly you're playing Donkey Kong :allears: Jump, man! Biggest grin on my face.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I would've literally died if the announcer went all like ladies and gentlemen, and now Donkey Kong when you transitioned to his screen

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It was nice of Cranky to get back in shape for the festival.

Or does he just morph into his younger, more fit form in 2D?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I beat the story last night, I have 200 and something moons so I can't wait to dig into the post-game content.

I somehow completely missed the T-rex.

I love when you pull off some completely cool looking jump/dive/hat moves. Just seeing what some people in this thread, and elsewhere, have managed is amazing.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I love that they vaguely choreographed Pauline to dance too. Everything about New Donk rules, its def my favorite level so far, such a good playground. The Forgotten Isle before felt extremely like a Banjo Kazooie level which was fine, I enjoyed it, but New Donk is bonkers

Pollyanna posted:

Please Be Breadth First
I'm sorry, I do not understand this own.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kaewan posted:

Wait what? What are they?

Ground pound, but let go of the button and hit Y once you hit the ground does the downward throw.

Spin the stick like you're doing a spin jump, but Hit Y instead does the spin throw.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Ground pound, but let go of the button and hit Y once you hit the ground does the downward throw.

Spin the stick like you're doing a spin jump, but Hit Y instead does the spin throw.

Thanks, I'm at 600+ stars and didn't even realize there was a spin jump.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Probably my favourite thing about the festival in New Donk is actually what happens while you're assembling the band - chilling in the room while they play changes Mario's idle animation into a sweet little shuffle dance.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Do we have any early idea how speedruns are gonna look?

Sunshine speedruns are so cool I hope Odyssey is the same.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Electric Phantasm posted:

Do we have any early idea how speedruns are gonna look?

Sunshine speedruns are so cool I hope Odyssey is the same.

someone has any% in under 90 mins currently

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

100% is probably gonna take some time to route considering how much stuff is in this game, but it should be pretty cool. Mario's platforming abilities have a higher skill ceiling in this than any previous Mario game, I'm pretty sure, so crazy tricks should continue getting discovered for a while

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Is there any good speedrunner or some decent human being streaming this

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
gently caress this game is so good we’ve only got to the first bowser fight and it’s been an incredible ride.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

eonwe posted:

someone has any% in under 90 mins currently

link?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well I just hosed up in Wooded Kingdom. I’m at 99/100 coins :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Post Gaming Shopping:

You can buy 10 moons at a time, does this let you push the moon total passed the cap? I still haven't been able to get a sense of how many are in this, vs the concrete 120 of N64. Or is the number irrelevant aside from what is on the map?

• Locked thread