Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Can you play this game entirely without motion controls? I'd like to, I even picked the option to disable them, but as far as I can tell that does nothing. I can't get them to work properly. Trying to do the 360 spin move is infuriating. If i could just do everything with the controller I'd have no problems with this so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Taking dumb screenshots shouldn't be this much fun in a Mario game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kelp Plankton posted:

There needs to be a giant bold flashing YOU CAN DISABLE AND/OR IGNORE MOTION CONTROLS in the OP or something

How do you do the advanced cappy moves without motion controls

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Don't tell me I don't need them when the game keeps throwing coins in a perfect circle at me :sigh:

I just wanna spinnnnn

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So while I do feel this game is great, I have one big gripe with it. Though really it extends to the entire Mario 3D franchise since Sunshine.

I've been trying to figure out why I enjoyed exploring Mario 64 so much more than the other games. Right off the bat I'll say a large part of that is simply nostalgia, but there's another part to it. In Super Mario 64, almost the entire level was visible and connected. There weren't many areas that were what I'll just call "void boxes". That is to say, you walk through some magic portal and end up in a big empty zone that exists purely as a platforming challenge. While I understand why these exist from a gameplay perspective, they simply aren't as much fun to explore.

Part of why I enjoyed 64 so much as a kid was because everything felt linked together. Like on Rainbow Ride, you can see the star on the airship from the bottom. You can see the star in the switch area from across the map. You know these places exist and they give you a goal to work towards. Stuff like this is still in Odyssey, but there's also a lot more void areas. The void areas just aren't as much fun to me. They might be mechanically more challenging but they feel disconnected from the level so I don't get as much satisfaction out of completing them. Also visually they feel really lazy at times. Especially the ones in Odyssey that are basically just an untextured map.

Its an amazing game but I can't help but wish more of this stuff was just part of the actual map.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there a full list of the amiibo costume unlocks anywhere?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The 2D sections in this make me miss Mario Maker so much :negative:

Do you need to get all the purple coins in every world to get all the moons/is there a way to locate the ones you are missing?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 28, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think the New Donkers speak the same language that Sims do.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Mario Maker costume being included is really nice but made me even more sad :(

I want a Switch version so bad.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Luncheon Kingdom is probably my favorite "lava" level in any game. Its so silly but is really fun.

Cappy really adds to Mario's moveset in a cool way. I keep trying to get to moons using stupid mid-air jump tricks. When I actually pull it off it feels great. When I climbed the tower in New Donk City, I saw that rocket ship building way in the distance. My brother told me there was a pipe leading to it but instead I just did the chain jump from up high and barely made it.

Calaveron posted:

Do the Broodals have names or what

On this subject can anyone explain the name "Broodal" to me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really wish the Hat Kingdom and Lost Kingdoms were bigger because I really love their aesthetics.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can't believe Mario is in the same universe as Dark Souls.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think I'm gonna 100% this one. I haven't gotten 100% in a Mario game since 64 but I really feel driven to do it here. The main reason I didn't 100% Galaxy and Galaxy 2 is there were a few stars that involved really challenging motion control gimmicks which I could never pull off. There don't seem to be any of those here so I just need to git gud at platforming.

Lobster Harmonica posted:

This is a big deal to me. Like, there's an element to mainline Mario games that's been missing since 64, where there's inexplicably some creepy and viscerally real poo poo that comes out of left field— the eel from Jolly Roger Bay, the chomping piano, the creepy photo-realistic skybox textures in that one water level

Odyssey brings that memorable vibe back and doesn't even loving bother to explain itself. Just like here, here's Dark Souls

Eh, I think a lot of the stuff you find creepy there can be attributed to age. Like the eel in 64 is freaky but I found the eel in Sunshine to be a hundred times worse because its loving massive.

But on the subject of stuff that is clearly meant to creep you out, Galaxy has one level where the skybox contains weird ghost aliens. No purpose for them to be there other than to spook you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Impermanent posted:

i will pay 50 dollars for a ruined kingdom dlc that make it as big as one of the full-fledged kingdoms and adds themed costumes.

This does make me wonder if this game is gonna get any DLC.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Seeing those snails reminded me of the snail people in Superstar Saga but also made me realize there's a 0% chance that they were supposed to be them.

It really makes me wonder why Nintendo seems so insistent on keeping the RPGs totally separate from the main games. I'm not sure what it accomplishes. Its especially odd given Odyssey has gone out of its way to a tie a bunch of other Mario series oddities into it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Supersonic Shine posted:

The final level's music is probably the most anime stuff I've ever heard in a Mario game, especially with the original Japanese lyrics.

That is the one thing in the game I absolutely hated. Game went too far into Sonic territory there. The rest of the sequence is so awesome though I was willing to overlook it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

widespread posted:

How the gently caress are y'all sharing pictures, I wanna share my dumb photos I haven't spent an hour on.

Go to the album outside of the game and it'll give you the option to share each picture. You need to link facebook or twitter account for it to work though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its a garbage song that sounds like trash. Doesn't matter what the lyrics are about :geno:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

JBP posted:

I played about 45 minutes of this at PAX and don't think I liked it. Does the difficulty ramp up in any meaningful way over time? I know 45 minutes isn't a lot of a game like this, but I found the art kind of jarring and when displayed on a huge TV the pop-in is pretty loving bad. Mario was going to sell me the Switch, but now I'm in two minds. If it becomes challenging after a while I'd probably still be keen, but from what I played it didn't feel like it.

The game really isn't any easier than other Mario titles. Sure, you might think it is compared to other Mario games, but you have to keep something in mind; there's no life counter in this game.

In every other Mario, if you gently caress up too many times you will inevitably lose a ton of progress. If you go back far enough a single death is enough to kick you out of the level entirely. The challenges in these games really aren't any harder than the stuff Odyssey throws at you. The difference is you won't be punished horribly for a single mistake, so its significantly easier to progress. I wouldn't really consider that a flaw though. While the satisfaction of overcoming a grueling challenge with no checkpoints is undeniable, most of the time it just ends up being a pain. Odyssey's approach of throwing out the life system and being more generous with checkpoints results in a better experience overall.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This game will never be as "hard" as Galaxy 2 because you don't have to fight with a wii mote to point at the proper thing on the screen.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

a.lo posted:

I like it. Sorry you don't I guess. Can we move on and be adultd about it?

Tell that to the people using personal insults because I didn't like a vidya gaem song.

Calaveron posted:

So was Captain Toad squirreled away in every single level before you hit the post game? Because I only started finding him after that

You can always find him before post-game but in some levels you need to get certain moons before he appears.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I have to say I'm a bit baffled that Nintendo bothered to include leaderboards for jumprope minigames but not something like a time trial for some of the moons.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Put me down as another person that had no problems with that fight. It was really fun.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
https://twitter.com/Web_Kraken/status/925136826293043200

I think a lot of fun in this game is gonna come from getting moons without using the intended capture mechanics.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Post your favorite Mario outfit.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Amppelix posted:

This question, and probably many others, would be answered by people actually reading the very helpful in-game action guide and the controls page.

Who am I kidding people don't even know how to do things games give actual tutorials on sometimes how would anyone read an optional one

Alright now how do I throw cappy upwards reliably because holy poo poo the motion controls are bad.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its literally impossible to 100% a level the first time you reach it anyways.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone else find it creepy that the boss of the Ruined Kingdom ends up totally immobile but its eyes still follow you around the room?

VVV that doesn't make it better!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Spoilers for the cameo he shows up in exactly one spot and you get a moon for finding him

Does that mean the Forgotten Isles are actually Yoshi's Island?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can someone tell me where the Sand Kingdom art for Koopa Trace Walking is? It seems obvious, poiting to the bushes near the koopa, but I've tried groundpounding everywhere around it and not found it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I meant for like, the down-a-pipe challenge bits where half the game is not running out of water :shobon:

Also there's a torch on top of the "chefs only" building in Luncheon. How do I get a Podoboo there? I tried jumping down from the summit and successfully landed in the little pool of lava behind the building but I can't get it up it from there.

You can't get a lava bubble there. Think of another way to light the fire.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its really depressing me that the moon giving me the most trouble is 100 jump rope challenge.

Is there any trick to this? I can't even get past 50. The rhythm changing as you speed up gets me killed because Mario inevitably lands right on the rope.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
For those struggling with the Broodal boss rush, know that Topper is the only one that is actually difficult. All the other fights are still incredibly easy. The only other thing that tripped me up was Rango bouncing at me so quickly, but you can evade him by just walking in a circle.

So if you can get the Topper fight down you should be able to clear it, and he's the first fight so its easy to practice against him. Also apparently you can leave and grab the max heart hidden on a vegetable outside without the fights resetting. so you can beat Topper, get the max heart to restore any damage, and then do the rest of the bosses.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ciaphas posted:

I just started playing this and why doesn't it do the braaap--ba da dada buh duh buhdoo buhdoop when you die I want a refund

It does when you die in a 2D section.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there a moon rock anywhere in Bowser's Kingdom?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pollyanna posted:

People like to hype up the postgame like THE REAL SMODYSSEY STARTS HERE, but it’s not that impressive.

I mean if you're actually looking to get some challenging platforming out of the game then it does. Its not much new content but its much harder content that is more satisfying to complete.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its weird to play a Mario game where defualt Mario is more mobile than Yoshi.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Evil Eagle posted:

How to get on top of Peach's Castle, the true answer

https://twitter.com/dinominal/status/926227181360914432

That's not even the top :confused:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cheetah7071 posted:

Can I get some advice to help me not suck at the shiveria bouncing races?

Bounce better

Really though, I think you just need to run the course a few times to get a feel for the physics and what bouncing will do at certain angles. Try and bounce off the turns near the end of them so you will bounce right into the next one. Don't bounce close to the bottom of angles because you'll get caught in the dip and lose your momentum. You make up time against the other racers by making your turns as short as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
https://twitter.com/Web_Kraken/status/926527986848874497

I can't get over how good Mario's movement in this game is.

• Locked thread