Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Post-game question are the buyable moons truly infinite or do they cap out eventually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cobalt Viper posted:

They're like easy mode if you wanna get all the outfits but aren't good enough to get more moons. They're unlimited.

So they up the moon count for the purposes of unlocking worlds but do nothing else? cool

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Can someone give me a hint on the moon Very Nice Shot with Chain Chomp in cascade kingdom? I bought the toad hint so I know which pipe it's behind but I can't for the life of me figure out a thing to do in here to get a second moon

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is the one moon per world that neither talkatoo nor the toad will give hints for something that will be unlocked later, or is it just "go find it without hints"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zore posted:

Are you in the postgame yet?

If not, a whole bunch of poo poo is opened up in the postgame.

Yeah I am. Cleaning out worlds one by one I've exhausted two worlds (cascade and sand) with one moon from the list uncollected and no hints for it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nephzinho posted:

Hit my first moon I can't seem to get. I think I have the solution, use the petal to guide the bullet bill towards the pillar and then cap it as you float below it to get the extra range before exploding, but I can't seem to get Sand Kingdom "East Pillar". Might just be executing what in
I'm trying, and if so I'm psyched for how demanding some of these post game moons are.

you're overcomplicating it, there's a medium-difficulty way to do it, no really hard stuff required

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Frankston posted:

Just give me a remastered Super Mario 64 with modern controls & camera.

I think people hacked the sunshine camera into mario 64

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Games old enough to be virtual console will get that instead of remakes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Can I get some advice to help me not suck at the shiveria bouncing races?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Showing up that golden koops by doing all sorts of impossible jumps while he's following the main path like a chump is the best

I never did find a way to completely own him in snow kingdom though. I beat him by a bit to the last wind-blowing guy but then we were stuck in the same cycle and and I just had to narrowly win the sprint to the end.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I dunno about good husband but he's a hell of a wedding planner, he should just do that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Electric Phantasm posted:

How do you get this butterfly? I feel like I've tried everything, but it only flys away.

Unless there's multiple butterflies, I threw my hat at it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

https://twitter.com/Web_Kraken/status/926527986848874497

I can't get over how good Mario's movement in this game is.

If version 1.1 lets me turn off shake controls and map it to a button instead this will be the greatest platformer of all time

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Being able to macro ZL+Y into ZR would be great too yeah. There's so many unused buttons in this control scheme and they still decided to use the worst "button" of all, shaking

My hot take is that the game has great movement but terrible controls

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cobalt Viper posted:

It's pretty astounding how infrequently motion controls are actually needed in this game and how often it's brought up in this thread.

I've died a bunch of times because I wanted to butt stomp and I moved my hand and got a dive instead

I've been moving my hands excitedly during tense moments since I was a child, this is like if Nintendo made controls that punished you for leaning when you wanted to turn in Mario Kart

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Vikar Jerome posted:

you guys know that you have to flick in a slow and smooth and easy in the right way to accurately use it right? throwing the controller around like a wiimote might be the problem you are having.

Getting them to come out when I want them isn't a problem, the problem is it coming out when I don't want it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nephzinho posted:

Darker Side: I'm at the section where you have to cross the lava on the fork jumps. Kind of bullshit that touching the lava once is pretty much a death sentence seeing as I went into that section with 6 hearts and still couldn't make it to land bouncing. How far through am i?

You can hat throw out of a lava bounce, I think, which can save a run. After that you have 3 more sections of varying lengths iirc.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The motion controls work great when I want to have them but come out at random times just because I'm moving my hands for non-gameplay-related reasons and it sucks

e: It really isn't that big a deal though yeah

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The last moon I need to get is the 100 jump rope one and I'm pretty sure it's literally impossible and everyone claiming they got it is lying to me :sigh:

I've been trying this thing for over a week and I still haven't gotten past 60. Mario just always lands on the rope or springs to high, or I just wind up getting way to focused and beef it.

Is your TV in game mode? Input lag would make that minigame hellish if you have any. A quick way to test is that cursor movement in menus should be functionally instant from when you move the stick. Any noticeable delay is a sign of input lag.

Most modern TVs have a mode for video games with very little input lag, and playing undocked will also do this.

Or if that's not the issue, what worked for me is, starting at 40 or so, pretend it's a rhythm game where you press jump when they yell "hey" or whatever it is.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think pokio is the only section of darker where I never found a strat that felt smooth and consistent but that's mostly because I finished the stage the first time I cleared it

The section after forks took me a bunch of times to get a good strat for though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I did a flawless of it twice I think. The trick is to go slow, take it easy, and never ever hat the energy thing. Send your hat down the edges of the platform to kill the enemies do slight errors don't hit it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cobalt Viper posted:

I just hit the energy things and jumped like a madman tanking damage left and right and ended up with 1hp to deal with the rest of the section which was tense as hell because of DK and the whole "2D section that rotates and randomly causes your inputs to flip".

I did the reverse, perfected the platform and limped through that section

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
And let's pour one out for how short and easy the yoshi section was

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I did every single one of the dark side challenges before encountering the normal versions in other levels

They were all letdowns after that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

andipossess posted:

Same, for most of them. I thought the scooter one was reasonably different though because it controls differently enough.

I actually did the entire invisible platform one with my super cautious hatless precise jump strats modified because the prianhas are easier to kill, then realized I was a moron and could have been clearing the poison

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Can someone give me a hint on the KEEP art? At least which kingdom it's in. I thought it'd be Bowser's since that has a keep in it but I didn't find it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm down to just art, secret path, and achievement moons left. Getting pretty close!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Got all the moons. Just googled for help on the last 3 or 4. Jump rope was easy, bird moons are the real ones that can gently caress off

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My favorite is sand kingdom. Maybe big open worlds would have gotten old if that was all there was but I really liked it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's other sources of fire

capture a fire bro

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
bounding race was the most difficult minigame for me too

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nina posted:

I just can’t figure out what to do when the ball is flung way across the field when it gets super fast. The hat flies too slow.

I like bounding race because it sorta reminds me of Goron racing

I stood in the middle and treated it as a "point the stick in the right direction" minigame and it worked fine. I never missed because I was too slow, only because I pointed in the wrong direction

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dictator. posted:

are there more bounding race stages? i only did it once (and beat it the first try, so doubt that's all there is to it?)

jump ropes was OK to get the first moon, didn't attempt to get to 100 or higher.

Volley sucked rear end. I stopped at some point and came back later to beat it.
I tried getting back to the middle of the field after hitting a ball each time so theoretically you should always be in range of where it comes.

postgame opens up a harder version of that race plus a second track with two difficulties

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This game is so cool, how are there possibly that many moons??? I definitely can't find 50+ in the city, I feel like I must be missing a huge section of it.

A bunch of moons are only obtainable in postgame.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah but there's over 50 on the checklist even before then - I have like 30 in this one. I haven't been trying to do everything in one pass but usually I can do better than this.

I did get a motor scooter parking one after driving it up some stairs which is pretty funny, doubly so given that I'm talking about a mario game.

I can think of at least two that appear in the original list of moons but are still postgame-locked in that kingdom alone, there's probably more

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Verisimilidude posted:

Does anyone else hate the design of the broodals? they're genuinely ugly and unsettling and if they were in any other game I bet people would be agreeing wholeheartedly that they're terrible

Nah they're fine, they sorta remind me of old cartoons with their exaggerated body shapes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dad Jokes posted:

oh my god gently caress this dark side level where you have to do the invisible poison road without cappy

one trick I found that helps a lot in that situation is to move around with neutral jump->dive. It always goes the same distance and doesn't require you to move to build up speed so you can inch up to the edge of the poison and do it without fear of walking in

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Macaluso posted:

Now THIS moon, can eat my entire rear end:

I feel like if I could reliably do the spinning hat thing I could get it, but I can't, no matter what. The motion control way of doing it DOESN'T loving WORK. Mario always just spins his hat forward. Doing it with controls is too slow and clunky for this

Flick both joycons in the same direction. Worked perfectly for me after a bit of practice

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My heart went out for them when they did the futile little beak poke after being knocked off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Macaluso posted:

I don't know how you're supposed to figure out the "found with wooded kingdom art" moon on your own. Like, the picture shows a koopa troopa, four up arrows, and then two bushes side by side. There's groups of bushes all around that turtle, so naturally one of those should be right, right?

These bushes are almost completely at the opposite end of the map of the turtle. They aren't anywhere NEAR the drat turtle!

The compass indicator was enough for me to figure it out on my own

• Locked thread