Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
gently caress the jump rope game. I'm having a hell of a time consistently getting minimum height jumps, since it's such a tiny difference in how long you hold the button. My highest is 76; hitting 100 is going to be a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

LODGE NORTH posted:

Do the little moon slots in the corner show you how many moons there are in that particular kingdom? That’s definitely what it is, right

The moon slots in the top left corner are for how many moons you need to "complete" the kingdom. There are many more than that (hit the - button, then Y, to pull up a list that shows a count of all moons and all unique region coins).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Sockser posted:

If you open the wardrobe this is literally one of the on-screen button prompts. This ain’t a hidden Easter egg or anything.

I think the surprising thing might be clothes randomizing on death? Is that a thing that happens or can be made to happen?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Can someone give me a hint on the moon Very Nice Shot with Chain Chomp in cascade kingdom? I bought the toad hint so I know which pipe it's behind but I can't for the life of me figure out a thing to do in here to get a second moon

The game loves to play tricks with camera angles and hidden walls. The general format for any pipe/door that you go into is 2 moons + some purple tokens. Not everything contains that, but give everything a thorough look.

Hint:
Very Nice Shot with Chain Chomp is another puzzle after the first moon

Solution:
Try jumping around the right hand wall at the base to get to the next puzzle in the room with the moon

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

LODGE NORTH posted:

As far as outfits go, I shouldn’t be upset that Odyssey has a full on Mario 64 skin for Mario, but the Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi outfits are literally just their clothes.

To be fair, that would involve modeling and animating 3 distinct body types just for those costumes. I wish they had done it, but I'm not really surprised that they didn't.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Mmm, I guess there's precedent in that I'm pretty sure cloud kingdom only has one available from the two spots on the list, unless I get a moon for 100 points on goomba make-a-face. (Please no...)

If you talk to the hint toad or the parrot, they'll tell you they're out of hints if you cannot get any more moons yet. They update as new moons are added.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Daveski posted:

Not sure this is totally accurate, at least for the hint toad. He told me he didn't have any more hints for me when I only had 7/10 moons in the Ruined Kingdom.

e: spoilered the kingdom name just to be safe

So far it has held true for me during the story on every world, after the story on every world, and through the post game on the first couple of worlds. I can't say it's true for everything, but if neither of the two hint NPCs give directions, you probably can't get anything until something changes.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah that's what I'm doing now and I think I want to go back to the rabbits.

Invisible road...

gently caress whoever thought hatless poison piranha plant invisible platform bullshit was a good idea with a rusty pitchfork. Sideways.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Tbh I think Odysseys camera is often pretty terrible and probably the games only major weakness. I don't remember having that problem with any other recent Mario games, but the situational awareness in odyssey can be really bad.

Odyssey has the annoying habit of locking the camera all the drat time, and half the time it does it, it's to hide a moon or something behind a wall.

On a lighter note, just managed to one shot the pokey section in Darker Side of the Moon and then finish out the stage. I did die about a dozen times before then though.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

thank god for Talkatoo Storage I finally got the drat jump rope moon

Same. Now I just have to do volleyball. I'm using cappy, but I keep getting distracted and failing because 100 volleys takes forever to actually happen. Would have been a much better challenge at 50 instead of 100.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Calaveron posted:

This is the first time I’ve gotten to a modern Mario’s final challenge level and hachi machi
Do you get anything for killing the purple ufo guy way at the beginning? Because they seriously made goombas the most dangerous enemy in this game and if there’s nothing for beating that guy why even bother

If you do want to kill it, do it from the ledge behind it. Don't bother messing with the goombas at all.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

How best to explain my feelings?

I don't like speedrunning as it currently is. You're contingent on having good commentary for a speedrun to be worth watching most of the time. The innate fun of the activity itself is tangential to that.

Why do I find that to be the case? Because 99% of the time, you're watching a person effectively just do drills in their room. Every so often a run might get on pace for a WR, but mostly that's not the case. It would be like if someone made me watch a professional swimmer do 200m sprint trials on their own in a pool. I was a high moderate don't always drown level swimmer myself for a long time, so I can appreciate the technique and skill, but the activity in of itself isn't actually that fun and I'd eventually get bored, even if attempt 10 was nearly a WR.

So why do I find watching swimming at the Olympics interesting? Well, it's obviously because 8-12 people are doing it at the same time and competing against each other to see who wins, which is exciting. So perhaps unsurprisingly, I find speedrun races to be the most interesting variation of speedrunning.

But I also don't think they're all that entertaining. The reasons being that most of the games that get raced are ones which have effectively been "completed," so everyone is just running the same set of strats and it's whoever gets the best RNG or doesn't gently caress up that wins. As WRs are tied not to race performance, but to whatever you do in your room at 1 in the morning, you have no reason to hide pocket strats you've discovered.

In an ideal world (for me) WR speedruns would only be counted during races. People would have reason to hold back pocket strats they'd discovered until raceday to try to win and that would breed a lot more excitement, at least for me.

Perhaps unsurprisingly the things I've enjoyed most recently are the Mario Maker races I've seen going around. They're genuinely really exciting to watch.

There's a link to the past randomizer race that's fairly interesting. Because it's randomized each time, you get to see interesting strategies where items are missing or items that wouldn't ordinarily exist at a certain point in the game exist. It's a bit luck reliant, but kinda entertaining as a background thing.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Can't you just play "actually play darker side%" instead? What's the point of the category if you don't play the fun final level? Shouldn't you have just stopped at 253 or whatever???

This. People will put it in categories. There are different categories for different games like glitchless, no major glitches, etc.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I have three purple coins remaining in the S ow Kingdom and there are two things I can't figure out. The highest platform in the corner and a mysterious steel box.

Are there any puzzles that require you to get to a certain point in the game before you can access them? I'm assuming there are no new movesets to learn, but for example I [spoiler] found a painting that warped me from the Snow Kingdom back to Cascade Falls to an area I wasn't able to reach previously.

Yes. More moons will unlock after the main story is complete. The hint bird and the hint toad will reveal all moons that you can access at the point you are in the story. Once they stop giving hints, it's a good idea to move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Cobalt Viper posted:

Seriously you can earn 10k coins in like 20 minutes playing Balloon World. It's not even close.

Given that I literally have two things to do in this game: volleyball and grinding coins, I'm pretty happy about this being added. I am a little sad they fixed the jump rope glitch though - the timing on that is horrible and skipping it with a glitch was a fantastic feeling.

• Locked thread