Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Beastie posted:

I've been on a blackout for Odyssey footage since August but god drat that music video is awesome.

Same. I haven't been this excited for a mainline Mario title since Galaxy 2. I want everything to be a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Your Computer posted:

3D World was a great game but I feel like it was more like a "2D Mario but in three dimensions" than it was a "3D Mario"... does that make sense?

That's exactly what 3D Land and World was aiming to be. There's essentially 2 kinds of 3D Mario games. The open world, and the linear ones with obstacles. The Galaxy games and 3D Land and World fall into the latter. While 64, Sunshine, and Odyssey fall into the former, according to Nintendo.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

My biggest worry about Odyssey is how boring a lot of moons are. There's videos of people doing that Target demo and getting like 20 of them in less than 9 minutes before the demo cuts them off and that just sends up red flags for me. I want the locale based coins to be the collectable junk, not the big "important" items of the game.

We know for sure there are Moons in the vein of Stars and Shine Sprites from previous games where they functioned more like level goals. I guess it depends on how many of them you need to advance to the next level, but the easier ones might make it easier for people not too good at platforming to progress at the game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

See you all in 6 days.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

What's a good place to farm for coins, because these post-game costumes are ridiculously pricey.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Mothergently caress Freerunning 2 in Cap Kingdom. This gold bastard cheats or something, I swear, and I just don't have the dexterity/brain cells to figure this out. Any tips?

I just rolled constantly. There are lots of hills to gain momentum on with that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Kalsco posted:

Any hints for the second moon in that blue/orange moving block room in Cap Kingdom? Trying to find it is completely kicking my rear end. :negative:

Small hint: Take a look around once you get close to the end

Bigger hint: The moon is hidden in a moving block.

Answer: More specifically, the big L-shaped one near the time with all the 2 layers of moving platforms.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

The post-game dark side of the moon area with the consecutive broodals fights are kicking my butt. I might actually have to buy a 6-health heart for the first time in the game for this one. Any particularly good strategies other than "don't get hit"?

(also please don't tell me what if anything comes after this sequence)

If it's Topper you're having trouble with (he was the one that shredded me constantly), you can jump on him while's he's spinning. His hat phases ends either after a certain period of time, or when you find him. Harriet's hat phases can be ended early by just tossing Cappy at a bomb she drops under her. You can also knock off her hat early if you angle a shot right with the smaller bombs she throws out with her hair. I didn't find Spewart all that bad. Just make sure to stay near the center and keep it clean as he paints the floor in his hat phase. You can't knock him out of it early, but you can deflect where he goes as he goes around the arena. When he's not in his hat, you can just knock his hat off instantly if you're close to the center. I find trying to deflect Rango's hat phase with Cappy too risky, instead I just walked around in circles.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

For jump rope, the speed caps out at 50, and at that point, you just tap A for a millisecond and the tap A again, and do this over and over. Once you find your rhythm, it's not too bad.

Now volleyball later on is worse, but there's a way you can cheese the 100 hit challenge if you're really having trouble. Turn on 2P mode (Your system came with 2 Joy Cons after all.) Ignore Mario and control Cappy. Laugh as the challenge is utterly trivialized.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Okay, it's come up twice now, how do I ground pound these moving underground lumps that run away from me? One on top of the Inverted Pyramid in Sand and one in one of the undergrounds bits in Snow. I'm clearly just missing something. You can't crawl in this game so that's not it.

Throw your hat at them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

:eyepop: Man, Mario's movement options in this game are real good.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Beastie posted:

Haha I just found the alternate entrance to the Odyssey.

"the?" There's a 3rd one on there.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

There are indeed moons there.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're ever unsure, do a ground-pound. It reveals Invisible Blocks for a few seconds.

WHAT. :stare:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Motto posted:

Have them snack on something else first.

Keep in mind that this doesn't work on the big ones. They'll eat Cappy anyway.

Oh and the Fire Piranha Plants also count as a separate entry in the Capture list.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Tayter Swift posted:

How is it that the most difficult enemies in the game are the god damned Goombas. How.

I've taken too much damage trying to assimilate them into the stack. :argh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

You can repeat the boss rush on Dark whenever you want. That's the only way.

There's also a 2nd power line that appears that takes you instantly to the RoboBrood fight.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

:toot: What an amazing game. All that's left to do is to max out the Moon Counter and beat Bowser one last time.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Harlock posted:

It would be pretty cool if this game didn't freeze up all the time. It took me 5 tries to accept my multimoon from the snow race because it kept locking up.

That sounds like an issue with your copy of the game or your Switch. I haven't had any crashes at all in the game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Will the sail turn gold if you simply hit that number or do you have to specifically get the moons the hard way? I wish I hadn't bought the 10 from the store to see what that was about cause I feel like I cheated my moon count by ten :( I wanted to get the non-maxing out amount legitimately

I have no idea, since I didn't buy any extra Moons until after I got every other Moon first.

And with that, I've done everything in the game. Including the harder final boss. What an amazing game. Nintendo really knocked it out of the park this year.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I liked the Luncheon Kingdom for being a really interesting take on a lava level. Both gameplay and aesthetically-wise.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

You can actually poke into the rock at the end, not just the white board. Gave me some more leeway when I found that out.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's harder if you use the speedrun strats the first time

and by "the speedrun strats" I mean literally air jumping repeatedly as Mario to stay up top while they run around and then ground pounding the side Broodals for the one-shot

Seriously, go look at a speedrun, that fight specifically is clearly not being done even remotely as intended and it's gorgeous

I saw a speedrun of that fight. I did not know you could do that. :catstare:

Starts at 1:02:40

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

got a link for that part, burbo?

s.i.r.e. posted:

How the hell does he even get on top of it?

I think it might be this one. Definitely worth a watch. :catstare:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

I think it might be this one. Definitely worth a watch. :catstare:

Watched this some more. I never realized that you could use the Sphinx to skip the moon cave and head straight to the chapel. :catstare:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Zore posted:

Remember that Fludd has a goddamn death scene at the end of Sunshine for no real reason.

And then immediately got repaired afterwards. Like what was even the point of that?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Generally, it's meant to be the very last challenge you take on. And if you happen to get all the moons from the Kingdoms (Read: Not buy them), there's a little extra something that unlocks.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

What is it?

A tougher version of the final boss fight. Really it's more of a victory lap, and something to let you end the game on a high note.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

She wasn't even trying to ditch Mario. She said "Let's go home." And she was miffed because Mario and Bowser were both treating her as a prize.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

andipossess posted:

Please be frog glitch please be frog glitch. I want the 503 Moon run to actually end on a high note.

Although I expect it's a fix to the jump rope exploit.

No glitches were fixed. All it added was Korean language support.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

If you want to buy Moons/Stars to cheat or for getting 999, be sure to buy them all at the Mushroom Kingdom. Then you'll have 120 stars from the shop there :3:

The counter caps out at 99, unfortunately.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

:rip: Jump rope and Darker Side glitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

There are a lot of bounds glitches being used in Hide It.

Especially in the Metro Kingdom.

Also they cleared the jump rope leaderboard. :cawg:

• Locked thread