Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I still can't believe how good it looks. E3 trailer alone made me think it will be my new favorite video game. And judging by the fact that 5 hours of Zelda last E3 were just tutorial, I'm guessing there's MUCH more to the game that Ninty didn't show us.
Also, I dunno if anybody else made that connection, but with all the Moons you're collecting and the Moon visible on the world map, I'm guessing fake-Earth is not exactly the only planet that we're going to visit.

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
gently caress, I don't even have a Switch yet. It's gonna be real hard avoiding the spoilers. Internet will be flooded with photos of all the weird poo poo, no doubt.

nerdbot posted:

"We can zoom all the way to the moon of this great wide wacky world"
:aaaaa:

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I really hope the people I've seen upset that the game doesn't feature "Already Established Kingdoms" that appeared in previous Mario spin-off titles like Beanbean Kingdom or DK Isle are just taking the piss and don't actually see their absence as a major grievance with the game.
If there's something I learned from gamers is that some would rather have a remake of their favorite game than a new one. Wouldn't be surprised if more than half of those are silly Mario lore jokes, but there are people who will be incredibly disappointed that Isle Delfino (or some other place) isn't in the game.
It's loving stupid. I waited for something like this for SO LONG. Mario is a plumber and he saves princess from a turtle-dragon, yet games would usually just have safe and familiar locations. They weren't all just "Some Forest", yet most of them felt like something you've played before. Mario 3D World was a step towards weird with its Japanese palace and an incredibly cheesy final boss, and I can't believe that they actually made a Mario platformer that will feel new!

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 17, 2017

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Peach's Castle is gonna be Mario's Mother Base, where he can go to visit all the enemies that he "captured".

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I'm one of the weird people who didn't really like 64/Sunshine formula (maybe because I've played them after many 3D platformers), so 3D World my favorite Mario game, mainly because it focuses on pure platforming and variety. Other 3D games had some issues with that, with similar missions of 64 (such as "go higher than last time", and Tall Tall Mountain's stars being just "reach the top") and minigames of Galaxy. 3D World sacrificed some of the controls to make the experience tighter, which I think was a nessessary step back for the kind of game they wanted. Nintendo already barely trusted players to actually use 64/Galaxy controls to actually move through the levels. Instead, everything more complicated than a long jump could only be used for skipping some small areas. 3D World was more like a Mega Man game, where you have to go through the obsticles, and I appreciate that. I really loved Mario 3, and I was glad to receive the game that's kinda similar to it in variety and challenge, but in 3D.
Still, I believe Mario Odyssey is going to be the best Mario game and possibly my favorite video game. It just looks so loving good!

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 18, 2017

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

nerdbot posted:

2D Mario definitely has some legs in it still but it needs new visuals like desperately. I think NSMBU in particular gets a bad rap, but that aesthetic has run its course. I want them to do some new and creative things with 2D Mario. Mario Maker had some of that Mario Paint weirdness on top of everything and it contributed to NSMB feeling much less stale, they need to tap into that more.
Yeah, I'd really want a weird new 2D Mario again. They can even call it New Super Mario Bros. Switch or NSMB3, so that people will buy it, just use some other art style for gently caress's sake. It was so baffling to play DKCR and Tropical Freeze and then return to NSMB. Newer DKC games feel so alive and wonderful, where every level feels like an actual place. They even gave the frogs a reason to jump by drawing a flying pixel near them and never used flying platforms without explaining how they're flying. Everything in New Marios is just bricks and slopes in same 8 worlds over and over again (with, usually, same or similar music) for 4 games.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

My biggest worry about Odyssey is how boring a lot of moons are. There's videos of people doing that Target demo and getting like 20 of them in less than 9 minutes before the demo cuts them off and that just sends up red flags for me. I want the locale based coins to be the collectable junk, not the big "important" items of the game.
I think you should just forget Stars and Shines and think about them as some other item from a different collectathon. Isn't there like 80-90 of them per level? There are Grand Moons anyway, and while those are still Moons, I hear they (possible spoiler? I don't remember if it's been said by Ninty or was just floating around, so I'll be careful) change the level somewhat, so it's not just a number going up.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
They also gave Bowser a tail in 3D Land. I don't remember if it was used in the final battle, but that game's final boss was great, too. I don't mind them using that gimmick in more final fights as long as they feel different enough.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

:siren: https://nintendowire.com/news/2017/10/20/wedding-peach-amiibo-unlocks-bridal-dress-mario/

You can dress Mario in a nice pretty wedding gown, GOTY of the millennium confirmed
holy poo poo. I was planning on buying all 3 Odyssey amiibos when I get the Switch, but now I just have to.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

the cap and cascade kingdoom look really loving small. like mario 64 small. i dont know if its just a tiny area of a larger map or what. :|

I won't watch the video, but my guess is there are a few small kingdoms, because why the gently caress not? It's better than just having large areas for the heck of it, especially if those are the first areas of the game. Wouldn't be surprised if last one is also a small pure-platforming level ala Bowser levels from 64.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I think Youtube spoiled 3D World's ending for me, so I just blocked half of website with adblocker (like every loving "Recommended" block). Really hope this doesn't happen with Odyssey...

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Guhh. Reading some slight spoilers (I'll buy the switch only sometime after the release, so I'd see them anyway) and the wait is unbearable.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

For those wondering and want the number of kingdoms in the game it's 17
Jesus hell, I was thinking it'd be 9-10 max. I'm so happy some worlds are pretty small, since I always prefered variety of levels over size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Larrymer posted:

I saw the Odyssey trailer and was greeted with an annoying song
:stare:

• Locked thread