Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i listen to jump up superstar like three times a week and im gonna buy a switch this weekend for this game

see you on the other side, gamers

Hedrigall posted:

:siren: https://nintendowire.com/news/2017/10/20/wedding-peach-amiibo-unlocks-bridal-dress-mario/

You can dress Mario in a nice pretty wedding gown, GOTY of the millennium confirmed
let me put peach in a tux, you cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah I'm def the kind of broke-brained fool who wants to try and get 100% in a kingdom before going on but that's just not possible, it seems. I haven't even touched the Sand Kingdom yet and I already have over 30 Moons. I'll probably try to get like, around half the moons before moving on, so at least not to get hung up. It also seems like there's just things that you can't do it, plus Talkatoo and Blue Toad have stopped giving me hints which is a good a sign as any.

but yeah this game's very good

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Crawfish posted:

For anyone else trying to collect all coins and moons, this is the game telling you that even though it lists a number of moons from the get go, you can only get most of them at the start. The rest seem to be post game or possibly dependant on stuff later in the game happening first. I'm not really sure.

Go all out on the coins though, they are all available on the first trip, though some of them and some of the initial moons may require you to finish the plot in the area first.
Yeah this stuff is extremely good and helpful for dumb completionists like me.

I can't imagine just getting enough Moons to get to the next kingdom and loving bouncing, but my friend has about double my Moons and is like four kingdoms ahead of me so godspeed i guess but man

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the motion controls are totally fine for me at least and that's all i have to say

Megasabin posted:

Can you explain how to do this?
This is gonna be kind of a bad explanation but like, Long Jump, throw your cap, Long Jump again and you'll kinda lock onto it and if you hold Y, you'll get another jump off it. You can also chain one more cap throw/long jump off of it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Actually my problem with the motion controls is that I didn't read that the Frog had a better jump attached to a motion control and was loving stumped on how to get a Moon till I finally learned how to read and then got it instantly

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
this thread is a good reason why i almost never post in Games

anyway i spent my afternoon getting 50 Moons in the Sand Kingdom and I think I've lost my mind how are there more worlds after this

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
In ten minutes, MiG's will come and bomb the hell out of this place.....

Jack, let's make this the greatest ten minutes of our lives!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

a.lo posted:

I wish Peach would marry Mario
I wish Peach would marry me

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I combed the entire desert of the Sand Kingdom to get all the Moons for the entire launch day so I loving loved the Lake Kingdom which took like three hours to 100%. The Wooded Kingdom def kicked my rear end all today tho.

I like the amount of regional coins sort of indicating if this sprawling level or a smaller, bite sized level, I hope there's good balance of the two but with my bad completion brain, I actually hope they're all small and easy

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Internet Kraken posted:

I have to say I'm a bit baffled that Nintendo bothered to include leaderboards for jumprope minigames but not something like a time trial for some of the moons.
im not, it's this kind of thinking that's made the switch good

i don't care how fast nerds got Moons, but I do need to make sure that all my friends see that i specifically jump roped 420 times

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

this is a cool game

finally going to new donk city whenever i play today and im stoked

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i cant play this game anymore cause i cant get past 51 jump ropes and it will haunt me forever. a drat shame i'll never see whats past new donk city but oh well

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Moon Shards in the Lake I believe

Dr. Fetus posted:

For jump rope, the speed caps out at 50, and at that point, you just tap A for a millisecond and the tap A again, and do this over and over. Once you find your rhythm, it's not too bad.

Now volleyball later on is worse, but there's a way you can cheese the 100 hit challenge if you're really having trouble. Turn on 2P mode (Your system came with 2 Joy Cons after all.) Ignore Mario and control Cappy. Laugh as the challenge is utterly trivialized.
Yeah I assume it's cake once the rhythm settles in but something about the speed around 45 -50 just makes my brain lurch and I lose it. thank you for this pro volleyball tip tho.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I still can't do the jump roping to save my life and will probably never move on from New Donk, constantly trying in vain to beat it but goddamn if the Big Thing at the end of New Donk didn't get me a bit choked up.

nintendo is cool

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Hedrigall posted:

You're... allowed... to.... move....... on...............

Don't be a prisoner of your own OCD :psyduck:
this is my hill and i will die on it.

i've gotten every possible moon in my first visit, I know I'll revisit areas in the post game, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna stop now. I'm not saying it's the right way to do things, but here we are

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Hedrigall posted:

Moltrey you should have your switch confiscated so it can be given to some more worthy family who can't afford one or something

Edit: I bet this is you too, isn't it:

this isnt even wrong, lol. good own

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The New Donkers aren't real people, just merely what the Toads are to Peach, they are to Pauline. Peach and Pauline are the only humans.

Also its odd that apparently Donkey Kong was what named the city and not the other way around

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 31, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I love that they vaguely choreographed Pauline to dance too. Everything about New Donk rules, its def my favorite level so far, such a good playground. The Forgotten Isle before felt extremely like a Banjo Kazooie level which was fine, I enjoyed it, but New Donk is bonkers

Pollyanna posted:

Please Be Breadth First
I'm sorry, I do not understand this own.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i cleared 100 jump ropes and i love this game again, as if a great darkness has been lifted

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
im sure this has been talked about here but I started loving around with the Odyssey's globe earlier and maaaaaaan this gaaaaame
https://twitter.com/RosePrinceTrey/status/925819837632282624

Internet Kraken posted:

Its really depressing me that the moon giving me the most trouble is 100 jump rope challenge.

Is there any trick to this? I can't even get past 50. The rhythm changing as you speed up gets me killed because Mario inevitably lands right on the rope.
I was having this exact problem and weirdly I found it easier to look at the rope to figure out the early timing, I could sorta tell if my timing would be off based on how close the rope was skirting Mario's heels. Once you get settled into 50 and the speed stops increasing, I settled into a 1-2 outloud rhythm based on Mario's jumps, just lightly pressing A when Mario's feet hit the ground. It's super tricky but I eventually got better, one time ending a run on 99 jumps but at that point I knew 100 was possible for me, good luck!

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 2, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
also maybe he shouldn't be forcing someone to marry him

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
finally saw credits this morning and i cannot stop listening to Honeylune Ridge Escape holy poo poo please help.

game rules

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Nah the Broodals and their rich mom rule, considering their origins, I'm okay with them looking a bit weird

My only problem is that i feel the green one and the blue one are a bit too similar

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Odyssey's more blantly honest take about local culture and cultural tourism in general is interesting. Buying and hording local souvenirs, wearing the clothes you like the best from different regions, a built in photo mode. It's interested in trying to capture the ways passing tourists think and interact (or don't think or interact) with the places they go, rather than the real world fantasy tourism other triple A games try do, like say Assassin's Creed does this year with Egypt. This isn't any indictment or passing of judgement, I just think Nintendo going all in on the Tourist Fantasy is an interesting idea

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Waltzing Along posted:

Peach is kinda a bitch. She basically abandons you on the moon.
she's good actually, maybe mario should understand and respect his boundaries as her friend first

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:wrong:

In Mario+Rabbids she just rocks up out of nowhere, with a heavy cannon that belches death over a wide area, to come join the fun of her own initiative.

i wanna play mario rabbids soley for it giving peach a shotgun and a grenade launcher.

i love that anytime peach is playable, they make her incredibly strong. a float jump in 2/3D World, her air smashes in Smash4 are buckwild etc

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
oh yeah! here's the one and only time so far I did a cool MLG move in odyssey, seeing the portrait up there felt really good, you can see spin around and kinda freak out at the end
https://twitter.com/RosePrinceTrey/status/926462090692431872

in contrast I spent like ten minutes trying to do cool platforming tricks to get on the tower in Goomba Woods in the Mushroom Kingdom only to get up there and then see that there's a big seed next to it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

PantsBandit posted:

Kudos for getting on that tower without the seed because i tried for about 20 minutes with no luck.
thank you! i ended up doing a triple jump off the rock on the hill and then cap jumping in a weird way to barely make it

i thought i was super dumb at mario because man could I not figure that out nor a good way to get on top the castle without the stairs

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Reallycoolname posted:

Christ, the 2D section in the well in Mushroom Kingdom is some high-speed way to murder all the goodwill I had for this game after its awesome ending. gently caress whoever decided the smaller sections didn't need checkpoints.
The last section of this was really the only portion I had trouble just for how inconsistent those controls feel on the orb platforms.

I finished that area and then instantly found Hard Mode Picture Match and I haven't touched the game in like a day now

The bullet bill section was fun tho, it reminded me a lot of hard Mario Maker levels which I was big on for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i too am mad that this woman friend of mine didn't respond with affection when i saved her and expected a reward and then kept shoving myself in her face after she almost died in space

Macaluso posted:

Yes you lunatic

• Locked thread