Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
looks like its time to leave the mechanical keyboard thread 'mate'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

THESE KEYS ARE TOO HARD TO PRESS MY HANDS ARE WEAK AND FAT

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

BONGHITZ posted:

THESE KEYS ARE TOO HARD TO PRESS MY HANDS ARE WEAK AND FAT

When I think about a sexy sentence I want to write my fingers get rock hard.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

looks like its time to leave the mechanical keyboard thread 'mate'

mate

this response here typed in pure mechanical glory

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

this looks like my dream keyboard

which is an ibm selectric that someone's converted into a keyboard

...which is a thing, i realize

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

pgroce posted:

this looks like my dream keyboard

which is an ibm selectric that someone's converted into a keyboard

...which is a thing, i realize

same, but space cadet keyboard with extra keys taken from another space cadet keyboard to make the ISO layout

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dislike button posted:

i spilled ramen on my saitek eclipse 2 that ive had since 2005 and put it through the dishwasher and now its dead. what should i get to replace it ?

update: the saitek now turns on but the backspace and spacebar don't work

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

blowfish posted:

ISO layout

:chloe:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

freaking Other Country poo poo? lmao

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

real contempt is a model M

cherry keyswitches are fairies on the head of a pin. a model M sounds like distant gunfire. it is not merely loud, it is an insistent, penetrating sound

best of all, it never bothers the person using it. it is a miracle noise that only bothers bystanders, like other people's cellphone conversations

I actually switched to a Sun Type 7 USB from my Apple Extended Keyboard II (Mitsumi) for a short period when I had one officemate who actually cared about the noise

my current officemate also has an Apple Extended Keyboard II though so it’s all good

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

an open floor plan is precisely where a loud keyboard is most valuable

teach them the error of their ways at 90 wpm

gently caress yeah

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
topre feel for less than a hundy

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/plum-87-electro-capacitive-keyboard

???

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

topre feels for less than 10$

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E4TOWR0/ref=psdc_12879431_t1_B005EOWBHC

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

It's the wrong kind of Topre clone. 35g is a bad life choice from the get go and the ABKO Hacker K945P or K965P with 55g switches are the better knockoffs.

:smugissar:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

topre feel for :10bux:

*reads youre postingg*

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
meet my waifu

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
im the upside down space bar

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
im literally nothing about that keyboard

JPEGBabes
Jul 3, 2013

Hooge used to be cool.
I've got a high mileage keyboard and thinking about going for the Unicomp Model M clones. Worth it?

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

JPEGBabes posted:

I've got a high mileage keyboard and thinking about going for the Unicomp Model M clones. Worth it?

they're fine

if you don't need usb or winkeys there's no reason not to find an old model m instead though (they're heavier and slightly better built not that unicomps are bad)

JPEGBabes
Jul 3, 2013

Hooge used to be cool.

There Will Be Penalty posted:

they're fine

if you don't need usb or winkeys there's no reason not to find an old model m instead though (they're heavier and slightly better built not that unicomps are bad)

I probably need the winkeys for my i3autisticmanager. Might look into it though, thanks.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
p.s. they're not model m "clones", they're literally manufactured using the equipment lexmark was using when they were making the model m keyboards, which unicomp purchased from lexmark

just so that's clear

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

JPEGBabes posted:

buy one of the 122 key variants, and a bigger desk

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

There Will Be Penalty posted:

p.s. they're not model m "clones", they're literally manufactured using the equipment lexmark was using when they were making the model m keyboards, which unicomp purchased from lexmark

just so that's clear

The keyboard is still extremely good but they use the shittiest USB boards known to man, total amateur hour garbage with 2KRO and quality that would be considered substandard for some $0.05 part from Shenzen.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 3, 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

like how hard is it to reverse engineer the superior design from the $10 HP trashboard pumprag posted and add $1 to the price of the unicomp

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
i don't know much about nkro but apparently that's a limitation of the membrane that the model m uses

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

JPEGBabes posted:

I probably need the winkeys for my i3autisticmanager. Might look into it though, thanks.

maybe getting one without those keys will help remedy your windowtism

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
has anyone tried to build something like an ergodox with kinesis style bowls?
i want a two piece kinesis bowl keyboard with clears, and I don't think it exists

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 27 minutes!

dick traceroute posted:

i want a two piece kinesis bowl keyboard with clears, and I don't think it exists
https://github.com/adereth/dactyl-keyboard

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

:gizz: thank

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

not topre 1/10

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is there any good reason why there isn’t a good wireless mechanical board

like i have a microsoft one and the typing is very average but it lasts a very long time. i suspect the circuitry has to be well designed but it’s not like mechanical switches themselves require more energy than a membrane right? end of the day they’re literally just a set of contacts that are either on or off

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

echinopsis posted:

like i have a microsoft one and the typing is very average but it lasts a very long time. i suspect the circuitry has to be well designed but it’s not like mechanical switches themselves require more energy than a membrane right? end of the day they’re literally just a set of contacts that are either on or off

yeah but mechanical keyboards are targeted at the demographics of greybeard linux touching "productivity" people and gamers

linux touchers don't care about cables because they have already minmaxed their workstation use efficiency. also swapping batteries in the middle of a heated coding session is too terrifying to even contemplate

gamers actively want cables due to ~latency~ (see also: the first serious wireless gaming mouse coming out literally this year). also swapping batteries in the middle of a heated :pcgaming: esports session is too terrifying to even contemplate

e: i forgot hipsters, who obviously also want cables

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

there is though, the Matias Laptop Pro, it’s basically the same keyboard as their Mini Quiet Pro but with Bluetooth

my coworker has one and it’s a fine keyboard

you could also make your own Bluetooth mechanical keyboard with some sort of Arduino thingy that speaks Bluetooth HID (there has to be one out there) that you can plug a good mechanical ADB or PS/2 keyboard into and power from a lithium battery; most of those older keyboards will have enough empty space inside that you won’t even need an extra enclosure

pram
Jun 10, 2001
there are tons of bluetooth adapters

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

at least on a model M, the mechanical switches are current-driven devices, not just a change in voltage. they use literally 30x as much power as a standard keyboard. think old timey current loop terminals vs rs-232 signaling.

of course 30x very little still isn't much. googling suggests a model M draws about 100 mA @ 5v, while a standard membrane kb is around 3 mA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

dick traceroute posted:

http://joedevivo.com/2017/05/20/building-a-qmk-dactyl.html