Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yes that is important i use them all the time actually. and never a numpad because im not an ancient geezer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
old is in the heart

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

burning swine posted:

I guess you can argue about stuff like not having a number pad, but the line for me is any time you replace a one-handed operation with one that requires both hands in the name of removing keys. fn+# for f keys is a non starter for me for that reason. See also: laptop keyboards with no pgup/pgdn keys that use function + up or down arrows. uhg gently caress that

If youtr hands are really so small you could get a foot pedal for the function key. Just spitballign here

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Best case: no computer, zero keys.

Middle case: some computer, few keys.

Worst case: lots of computer, many keys.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
I bought a Kinesis Advantage 2 because my wrist was bothering me and ... well frankly they looked neat... When I did a search for it on SA I found YOSPOS. How did I not know this little enclave of nerds existed on here after reading these forums for years (2007)? Anyway, hi. Nice to meet you. I am an old, started programming in the 90's and now I manage a bunch of dev teams for a big company. Still dabble in code and mess with technology but mostly play video games in my spare computer time.

PS I love this keyboard so far but the learning curve is rough for the first few days. My nvim muscle memory is alllll kinds of messed up.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

pram posted:

yes that is important i use them all the time actually. and never a numpad because im not an ancient geezer

a numpad is sick when you need to fire up blender for a sec

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

he1ixx posted:

I bought a Kinesis Advantage 2 because my wrist was bothering me and ... well frankly they looked neat... When I did a search for it on SA I found YOSPOS. How did I not know this little enclave of nerds existed on here after reading these forums for years (2007)? Anyway, hi. Nice to meet you. I am an old, started programming in the 90's and now I manage a bunch of dev teams for a big company. Still dabble in code and mess with technology but mostly play video games in my spare computer time.

PS I love this keyboard so far but the learning curve is rough for the first few days. My nvim muscle memory is alllll kinds of messed up.

you should have bought a topre and you should be using emacs. my condolences.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

hifi posted:

so much wrong condensed into a single sentence. incredible

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

hifi posted:

Your Operating System (emacs) is a Piece Of poo poo

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

neo vim is good emacs is bad. i bet you use greenpos too like a degenerate

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

he1ixx posted:

You done good

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hi forums user helixx

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

he1ixx posted:

save yourself before its too late

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

echinopsis posted:

save yourself before its too late

It's already far too late for me. My work note taking setup right now is iTerm running tmux with nvim as my primary editor. It works perfectly and its portable and it is also something that our IT department really can't gently caress with. In the past I've used some proprietary note taking apps and when work installed JAMF, it was all over for me. I asked my alpha nerd buddy and he was like "just run tmux and put vim in a container." I thought he was nuts about the tmux idea so I skipped that part of his advice and just started running vim. By the end of the day, I had all sorts of great plug-ins running and was hip deep in dotfiles. It wasn't long before I was running everything in a tmux container. It's awesome. vim is awesome and people who use emacs are a special kind of broken. (I should note that I had been using vim for years but just never considered using it for work. durrrr)

This keyboard is cool but I keep reaching too far and hitting the arrow keys. Also it revealed problems with my typing that I used to hit keys with wrong fingers so I keep messing up certain keys like c and p and '. I'm getting used to it though.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
how can I use vim in my current job

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

use nano

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
ive no numpad and I genuinely miss it. but I don't miss having to reach waaaaaaay over to the right for my mouse

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

ive no numpad and I genuinely miss it. but I don't miss having to reach waaaaaaay over to the right for my mouse

Biggest thing I miss with TKL is no [enter] key at the bottom right

larper
Apr 9, 2019

hifi posted:

Never used emacs but I agree with the first part. Typing on my REALFORCE R2 PFU Limited Edition Keyboard (Full, Ivory, 45G) ($345.14, No Returns) is a dream

larper
Apr 9, 2019

he1ixx posted:

My work note taking setup right now is iTerm running tmux with nvim

:chloe:

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

me neither, I use a magic trackpad 2 and it’s way better than a mouse and sits nicely next to my numpad.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

i also have no numpad, but i can hit the a button with my left hand then the right hand UIO JKL M<> turns into 789 456 123, so it's like having a numpad but also don't have to move my hand so it's better, ergodox is great

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

larper posted:

Never used emacs but I agree with the first part. Typing on my REALFORCE R2 PFU Limited Edition Keyboard (Full, Ivory, 45G) ($345.14, No Returns) is a dream

Blink 60% if they are holding you hostage

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I have a TKL on my living room coffee table as a space-saver. It's good for games and browsing and videos and poo poo

on the rare occasions when I have to use it to enter lots of numbers I still find it frustrating as hell

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Blink 60% if they are holding you hostage

I literally laughed so loud at this.

I definitely see how vim isn't everyone's cup of tea and it's ok. People don't need to like all of the cool things. I think we all know it is the emacs people who are truly broken. I had a friend tell me "evil mode is where its at -- the best of parts of vim in the best parts of emacs". Joke was on me after I tried it out. There was no "best part of emacs". I bet that guy is still laughing at me.

e: please note this is gentle ribbing. I hope you enjoy emacs and use it all of your days.

he1ixx fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 14, 2020

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i keep wanting to learn emacs as the people that are really good at it seem exceptionally competent

also magit looks like a pretty good way to use git

possibly doom branding will get me to take the plunge finally https://github.com/hlissner/doom-emacs

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

echinopsis posted:

how can I use vim in my current job

Very Careful;ly!!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Biggest thing I miss with TKL is no [enter] key at the bottom right

this

:smugmrgw:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Post your best keyboard layouts here.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

kinesis.png

larper
Apr 9, 2019

tk posted:

nws that poo poo

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

tk posted:

I’m literally taking an enormous poo poo right now and it’s better than whatever this is

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

How am I supposed to AS400 without F13-24, though?

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

charged my k6 off my omnicharge overnight and the battery was hot the keys were lit orange and I sent it back for an exchange but blues are nice

CLACCC goes the dynamite

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
https://twitter.com/foone/status/1283290298324447232?s=21

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Actually I think you'll find you can type exactly as fast on a Dvorak as you can on a QWERTY, it's just that your fidelity drops?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

whoooooosh

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I have a NOS November 1993 IBM Model M unopened in the original box where's the best place to flip it for mad stacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

shame on an IGA posted:

I have a NOS November 1993 IBM Model M unopened in the original box where's the best place to flip it for mad stacks

I keep hearing about people selling things for obscene prices on the mechmarket subreddit