Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hey i have a model m in good shape except for the space bar, which often misses and sticks. is there anything to be done to fix it?

i have already inspected the spring, it looks good and is identical to the one i pulled from the keypad * key. swapped spring and still did it; even snapped the * key into the space bar slot and still did it, so its not a sticky/broken stabilizer or anything related to that.

this is some crazy membrane poo poo right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is there a wireless mechanical that uses the Logitech unifying receiver (not the Logitech-Gaming one, that's different for whatever dumbass reason) and has RGB lights such that it can do that cool breathing effect?

E: And it needs a keypad as Brother Shaggar notes.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 9, 2021

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tenkeyless is for psychos

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

Is there a wireless mechanical that uses the Logitech unifying receiver (not the Logitech-Gaming one, that's different for whatever dumbass reason) and has RGB lights such that it can do that cool breathing effect?

the dumbass reason is probably the rgb lights

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i'm absolutely enjoying the responsiveness and typing experience on my k3 and it looks like they're coming out with more tactile switch types for it and i'm oddly eager to buy them

echinopsis posted:

full sized keyboards are the absolute poo poo

entering numbers is for number munchers

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shaggar posted:

shaggar was kinda wrong it turned out.

i thought that too and then i tried it.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Shaggar posted:

enjoy your rsi

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
love to type on my kinesis freestyle edge

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

why is numlock a thing. who on earth uses their tenkey for arrows and poo poo. numlock should be the default and gently caress this piece of poo poo work laptop that I can’t set numlokc preference on

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

gently caress HP and their “numlock on at boot” bios option that does nothing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
never mind how easily it fucks up non technical women and children

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
“the computers playing up again”

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

frankly it should be illegal

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
*types on numpad, doesnt work*
oh right i'm 5 levels deep into vm consoles that each resets it

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Jenny Agutter posted:

why is numlock a thing. who on earth uses their tenkey for arrows and poo poo. numlock should be the default and gently caress this piece of poo poo work laptop that I can’t set numlokc preference on

That one guy at microsoft that is stuck playing doom on tenkey and pgup pgdn

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Erulisse posted:

That one guy at microsoft that is stuck playing doom on tenkey and pgup pgdn

if that’s the reason then i’m actually for it

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Jenny Agutter posted:

it's me. i use my tenkey for arrows. i like it better.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jonny 290 posted:

hey i have a model m in good shape except for the space bar, which often misses and sticks. is there anything to be done to fix it?

i have already inspected the spring, it looks good and is identical to the one i pulled from the keypad * key. swapped spring and still did it; even snapped the * key into the space bar slot and still did it, so its not a sticky/broken stabilizer or anything related to that.

this is some crazy membrane poo poo right?

bump.

should i just sell this thing to some nerd on ebay for 50 bucks or what

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Jonny 290 posted:

bump.

should i just sell this thing to some nerd on ebay for 50 bucks or what

I take it you used some contact cleaner?
most model m issues afaik are related to bad contacts and are either fixed via cleaning them or what was called the “bolt mod” which iirc is where you replace the rivets that hold the assembly with bolts so you end up with a firmer/better contact.

is that worth 50$ to you??

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

jonny, keep the M and fix it up

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I am aware of the bolt mod. I'm 99% sure the issue is between the membranes; I did spritz some contact cleaner down there but i think the 'top membrane' is closed so it probably didn't get down into where it needs to.

I think i can power through 84 chisels and drill to clean and re-bolt it. Just an evening in front of the teevee

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

typing this post on my freshly cleaned and adjusted unicomp model m that's been sitting in the corner gathering dust for way too long. feels good. clack clack clack tik tak tak tak

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

i love this thing. too bad i have to go back into the office now.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
is that a seiko 5?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

citizen eco-drive that i got for graduating hs and somehow haven't lost yet. a few years ago i left it on the bank of some anonymous stretch of river so i drove back later to vaguely where i thought i had been and there it was buried in the cattails

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

eco-drive is ftw

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Jonny 290 posted:

I am aware of the bolt mod. I'm 99% sure the issue is between the membranes; I did spritz some contact cleaner down there but i think the 'top membrane' is closed so it probably didn't get down into where it needs to.

I think i can power through 84 chisels and drill to clean and re-bolt it. Just an evening in front of the teevee

take pictures! i have a model m where the e is doubled 50% of the time and its infuriating so I might follow :)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

the 8 key on my keyboard isn’t registering every time. probably just needs some deoxit

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

dEoxit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
doexit nuts

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
very cool i like ecodrives

--

Also okay FINE

i will advise when they come in

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Agile Vector posted:

sorry to keep verging on mouse chat buuut

that's the model i did it on! The bearings are ruby, but the precision varies either in the bearing or in the housing. i had one for work and one for home. one was fine after a month, the other never stopped catching

i followed some advice i found while trying to lubricate them (for some people lubrication works) and bought a pack of zirconium oxide bearings (G10 is fine for me, some opt for G5) and food-grade silicone spray (data sheet, propellant is plastic-friendly for those mice) but some people use ptfe or powders. i prefer silicone since it's in contact with my skin, and the spray is useful for servicing other appliances

there's a guide that was handy if you go that route. my advice is to remove the bearings on a towel, and inserting new ones worked best by partially assembling the bowl and individually placing them in each divot then tightening that portion

i know it's late but thanks for posting this, i ended up doing the swap and that disassembly guide was a huge help. seems quite a bit better even with totally dry bearings and a clean ball. not sure if i'll do the lube after all.

i definitely think the screws holding the cup assembly together weren't tight enough from the factory. after i swapped the bearings i really snugged the screws down and there's no noticeable movement from any of the bearings--as it should be.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/NanoRaptor/status/1431260822597111813

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
whats the deal with the steelseries adjustable "mechanical" switches? worth the hype? probably useless to me (not a big keyboard gamer) but seems cool

https://steelseries.com/blog/adjustable-mechanical-switches-104

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
typing on linear keyboards is purestrain rear end

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have clears and PBT caps and it's pretty much perfect

clears are hard to get though. they're not offered on most common lines, only browns are :cry:

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
You can always replace the switches in a keyboard with different ones, for example I once replaced all the switches in my kinesis advantage with cherry blues

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dana plz

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

pseudopresence posted:

You can always replace the switches in a keyboard with different ones, for example I once replaced all the switches in my kinesis advantage with cherry blues

yeah i was a dummy and got soda in my brand new leopold, 10 bucks and a few switches later and you can't even tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i liked the nanoraptor stuff that seemed more grounded, the last few months are just completely off the deep end.