Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

what switches WHAT SWITCHESSSSS

idk probably the bad ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i dont want em to be too clacky, he's gonna have roommates soon

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

"gateron brown"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh those are perfect, that's what i got on mine. Well chosen. a little more clack than reds, but not as much as the cursed blues

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

help my q10 arrived and I put switches in it but now I need to find a keycaps set that has the alice space bar and shift sizings, and ideally the extra 'b'. what search terms do I want for this?

(ideally they're doubleshot pbt with the icons on the front of the keys, but I could upgrade to that later)

E: switches are "Clickiez 40g" https://zealpc.net/products/clickiez?variant=39379354026048

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

40g? Those'll activate if you look at them funny.

I'm using the Cerakey ceramic caps on my Q10. The normal right shift works for your right spacebar and it came with a short right shift.

You just need a 2u shift instead of the 2.75 normal right shift, and then 2.25 and 2.75 spacebars.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kvantum posted:

ceramic caps

uh do what now

am i about to go broke

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

porcelain caps. perfect for posting.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kvantum posted:

40g? Those'll activate if you look at them funny.

yeah, I also got some 70g ones to try as well.

Kvantum posted:

I'm using the Cerakey ceramic caps

well of course that's a thing. might be heavy enough to trigger the 40gs themselves, heh

did you get those extra keys from Cerakey, or mix and match from other stuff?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, I also got some 70g ones to try as well.

well of course that's a thing. might be heavy enough to trigger the 40gs themselves, heh

did you get those extra keys from Cerakey, or mix and match from other stuff?

It was all in one kit. I am having to use the 2u 0 key from the numpad as my left spacebar but the slight gaps aren't an issue for me. I only use the left B so I repurposed my right B key in VIA to be the missing right Ctrl key I do actually use from time to time.

They are really weird at first, but once you adapt to the cool and slick feel of the caps, they're awesome. I do have a slight complaint about the black version in that the glazing thickness is inconsistent so the shinethru of the RGB is a little hit or miss, but the white ones have no issues at all from what I have seen. Very happy with my purchase overall, and they shipped from Hong Kong without any issue in under a week. (The Kickstarter took a while to get specific editions done, but, well, Kickstarter. As long as you get what you paid for, you know the risks.)

They're now selling through IndieGogo for $140 USD for the 113 key base kit. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cerakey-first-keycaps-set-that-made-of-ceramic#/

Kvantum fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 5, 2022

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

gonna get some key caps lookin all

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

rotor posted:

gonna get some key caps lookin all

hate to break it to you but the group buy for that set is already over

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

aw

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

found some alice-friendly sets to mix and match and swap around like fashion

I guess this is how my hypomania works now, huh

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Subjunctive posted:

I guess this is how my hypomania works now, huh

Mine was what got me started into mechanical keyboards to begin with. I just wasn't happy with how my keyboard sounded, and I was wanting more RGB blinkenlighten... but I also wanted a split and/or ergo board to deal with my carpal tunnel issues... Anyway, six boards later, here we are.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i quite honestly just ran out of poo poo to buy for my computer. like i bothered to get usb and serial port backplates and everything and ran out of things to hook up

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Roosevelt posted:

porcelain caps. perfect for posting.

i'm posting from the porcelain now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
browns are the same colour poo poo for a very good reason - they're a bit poo poo

until you've bathed in the glory of some clears, you'll never know what you're missign

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
You gotta at least try some of the non-cherry-style ones out there of you're into tactile keys. The Glorious pandas, U4T bobas and Zealio V2s are all much more interesting than your average brown or clear mx clone

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
has anyone made a switch that feels as good as the old alps stuff? i really like the white complicated ones in my northgate, and the damped ones in the aekii

the cherrys ive tried havent been anywhere close, but i havent tried any of the new exotic variants that exist. tbh i dont know where to start with those

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Raluek posted:

has anyone made a switch that feels as good as the old alps stuff? i really like the white complicated ones in my northgate, and the damped ones in the aekii

the cherrys ive tried havent been anywhere close, but i havent tried any of the new exotic variants that exist. tbh i dont know where to start with those

https://kprepublic.com/products/130...e-ttc-ormon-ysa

get something like this somewhere (random link, not recommending to buy this specifically) first, and then you’ll have the “vocabulary” to read/reason about “boutique” switches like boba

also useful are https://deskthority.net/wiki/ and https://geekhack.org/index.php

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Do y'all have any recommendations for like, a brush type thing I can use to brush out between the keycaps from time to time? Have a cat that sheds like nothing I've ever seen and I'd like to keep it under control. I suppose compressed air should work decent but idk if there's a better solution out there or something.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Do y'all have any recommendations for like, a brush type thing I can use to brush out between the keycaps from time to time? Have a cat that sheds like nothing I've ever seen and I'd like to keep it under control. I suppose compressed air should work decent but idk if there's a better solution out there or something.

just remove your keycaps once per week

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just did that. keycap pull, soaked em in cleaner for an hour. brushed out all the hair and loose gunk on the board itself outside, then went ham with iso and q-tips. Fresh as new.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
With membrane keyboards I used to put a baggie over the PS/2 / USB connectors and throw them in the dishwasher.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://divinikey.com/products/jwick-ginger-milk-linear-switches

New favorite switches right here. They're so good stock it's almost not even worth cracking them open to mod.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

of course people mod switches

with respect to “key profile”, the q10 is listed at having OSA profile, and my newly ordered key caps are Cherry. is this going to work fine, or did I just accidentally buy things for the next keyboard?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

with respect to “key profile”, the q10 is listed at having OSA profile, and my newly ordered key caps are Cherry. is this going to work fine, or did I just accidentally buy things for the next keyboard?

those are unlubed out of factory, which could have them make a scraping noise, depending on the build specifics/tolerances. but people do mod them further than that as well, sometimes

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

oh yeah, I’ve heard about lubing and have seen cute little brushes for it! maybe something about films or something too?

if I took apart my switches I would lose essential parts of half of them and I didn’t purchase with that in mind

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

profile refers to the shape of the top of the keys, it’s aesthetic/ergonomic and doesn’t affect compatibility. where you run into issues is the stem shape, those need to be compatible between switch and cap

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

sa ftw

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the Keychron OSA profile keys aren’t listed as compatible with the q10, oddly. maybe just a web site error

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

cinci zoo sniper posted:

those are unlubed out of factory, which could have them make a scraping noise, depending on the build specifics/tolerances. but people do mod them further than that as well, sometimes

The Ginger Milks are actually really smooth and there's no scratch.
Lubing quiets them down a touch though, and also helps get rid of leaf chatter and spring crunch (of which there is next to none already).
You won't benefit from a spring swap unless you just want a different weight.
It is literally impossible to put films on these and close them.

They're very good stock, but I just lubed 45 of them to try out and I think I prefer them with just a touch of Tribosys 3204 and some gpl105 for the springs.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

oh yeah, I’ve heard about lubing and have seen cute little brushes for it! maybe something about films or something too?

not 100% sure what films would refer here, but different switches have different silence options, many of which would involve some semblance of material introduced into the switch

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The Ginger Milks are actually really smooth and there's no scratch.
Lubing quiets them down a touch though, and also helps get rid of leaf chatter and spring crunch (of which there is next to none already).
You won't benefit from a spring swap unless you just want a different weight.
It is literally impossible to put films on these and close them.

They're very good stock, but I just lubed 45 of them to try out and I think I prefer them with just a touch of Tribosys 3204 and some gpl105 for the springs.

nice, i had assumed that nylon switch is going to be on the silkier side. ill need to bookmark them for my moonshot plan of building my own split at some point

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

https://divinikey.com/products/jwick-ginger-milk-linear-switches

New favorite switches right here. They're so good stock it's almost not even worth cracking them open to mod.

linear switches
:barf:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t love linear switches, but I ordered that analog keyboard from Wooting so I guess I’ll see how that goes

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i only use linears. no tactiles, definitely no clickies. i guess, if would find myself at some point to have a typing-only keyboard, i would consider tacticle, but not even sure what switch then. something like topre (including realforce weighted tension keyboard mapping), but with much clearer bump to them. cherrymx brown switches and their derivatives didn't do it to me at all. i have like kailh or zealios brown equivalent in some box somewhere, though, with was nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
NGL that switch name's a little horny for me