Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kvantum posted:

I'm hoping I finally get my stretch goal keys so I have actual spacebars for my Keychron Q10. Love the caps though.

yeah I'm thinking about putting them on my Q10 but I forget if I ordered enough extra keys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Subjunctive posted:

yeah I'm thinking about putting them on my Q10 but I forget if I ordered enough extra keys

The normal 108 key set will cover it. You just have to use your right shift as the right spacebar, and then a 0.25u-too short 0 from the numpad as your left spacebar... Hence my needing the stretch goal keys from Kickstarter.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

This looks like a real nice add. Could be my summer keycaps to my T0mbr3y SA Carbons (fall)

It's a shame they don't seem to have a way to let you know when back in stock

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

got my Kinesis Freestyle Pro in at work yesterday. going to be typing like a real yospos bitch now

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Roosevelt posted:

got my Kinesis Freestyle Pro in at work yesterday. going to be typing like a real yospos bitch now

now??

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Roosevelt posted:

hell yes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my mum has concluded she doesn't like the keyboard I gave her that has cherry blues

for basically the same reason I don't like it - I made tons of typos

I have cherry clears, which are browns but not pathetic. and they are the ebst.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i have a kb with clears and a kb with browns. i prefer the browns :shrug: maybe because i don't HaMmEr oN mY keYs lIkE A GoRiLLa

switches matter. but keycaps almost matter more, for a proper keyboardin' experience

your keycaps need to be doubleshot pbt. abs is unacceptable, i don't care how cool it looks, it will turn shiny and feel like garbage. the caps need to be pbt, but this is not enough. the characters shall not be printed on. you want DOUBLE SHOT PBT

i am willing to consider superior plastics or other materials, but abs keycaps are just junk and that's all they'll ever be

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am typing on pbt

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

love the superior pbt fingerfeel

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I have rubberized wasd keys >:)

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Ceramics >>> all other materials. They just friggin' rule. Smooth, cool to the touch, semi-translucent if you want RGB lighting. Just the best.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roosevelt posted:

love the superior pbt fingerfeel

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kvantum posted:

Ceramics >>> all other materials. They just friggin' rule. Smooth, cool to the touch, semi-translucent if you want RGB lighting. Just the best.

ceramic keycaps?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cerakey-first-keycaps-set-that-made-of-ceramic/x/5829622#/ looks kinda sick if they deliver what they promise

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tfw porcelain

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:O

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah those are kinda interesting but lol @ $200 for keycaps

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

mediaphage posted:

yeah those are kinda interesting but lol @ $200 for keycaps

Hi, welcome to the wonderful world of mechanical keyboards. Not as expensive as audiophile-grade speakers, but they're working on it!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kvantum posted:

Hi, welcome to the wonderful world of mechanical keyboards. Not as expensive as audiophile-grade speakers, but they're working on it!

oh i know

i'm not gonna harsh on anyone that buys what they want with their money, as long as they don't start up some nonsense about how these keycaps give you better performance

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

imagine a keyboard without a bunch of LEDs and programming and chips and batteries and dumb gamer bullshit!!!

apparently i'm the only one that can

a 70% kb for adults doesn't exist and i'm mad as h*ck

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

you want a thing to type on? here's 104 color changing leds and macros for your wireless headshotz sickkkk

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the QMK/VIA programming isn’t really worth it for Genshin Impact farming macros or whatever but layers are pretty nice to have especially if you’re using anything smaller than 101

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

idk about 70% size which isn't a form factor ive seen before much i don't think but the keychron k2 with white leds seems like it'd be up your alley unless you want zero backlighting at all which is fine i guess you could turn it off

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

adults use a 10-key and function row

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

i bet fewer than one percent of users use function keys (not counting remapped keys like brightness and volume)

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
QMK deeply appeals to the dumb tinkering side of my brain and I've been nerding out over little changes to my layout for a while now. Use 0% of it for gaming though, have a layer without all that crap for games so default keybindings just work. And for the LEDs, yeah you can just... turn them off if you don't like them. It's not really a factor in the price of the keyboards from what I can tell since it's such a standard feature.

InternetOfTwinks fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 24, 2023

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i have a kb with clears and a kb with browns. i prefer the browns :shrug: maybe because i don't HaMmEr oN mY keYs lIkE A GoRiLLa

box jades feel like the good version of clears: takes a little extra push to get them moving but then they’re quick and smooth. clears are like typing on a broken keyboard.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't think i'd want to constantly type on ceramic, an incredibly hard and abrasive material

mediaphage posted:

i bet fewer than one percent of users use function keys (not counting remapped keys like brightness and volume)

i use them regularly but it's because i use weird niche programs that properly use the f-keys to invoke common functions.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Jenny Agutter posted:

I had to break down and add on a Q0 numpad to the left of my Q10, so yes, despite the RGB insanity, and the macro keys, I've got a fully functional 108 key layout available to me. And missing the F-row is what led me to give up on using an Ergodox EZ.

Sagebrush posted:

i don't think i'd want to constantly type on ceramic, an incredibly hard and abrasive material

The caps themselves are so smooth to the touch that your fingers just kind of slide off of them. Pure downforce to overcome the keyswitch spring, but you don't really feel any "hardness" to them. I've used them with both Kailh BOX Navy and Gateron Oil Kings, so whether you go for super stiff and clicky, or just smooth elegance linear, the ceramic doesn't feel hard or abrasive at all.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

i use them regularly but it's because i use weird niche programs that properly use the f-keys to invoke common functions.

yeah i have no doubt hyper nerds like people in yospos use them, i just don’t think the average user has ever pressed anything except perhaps f1 for help back in the day and maybe f11 for full screen browsing before it was made easier to access

and neither of those have probably been used by normies in a decade

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

shift-f7 was alt-f4 for using the good word processor

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
somebody near me is selling a ducky pocket, kind of tempted but I wish it worked wirelessly too. anyone know of a kit version that would do the same? I just think the calculator gimmick is fun. Maybe could be swapped with a new board that could do wireless?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Jenny Agutter posted:

new thread title

also plenty of normies use F5 to refresh

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Roosevelt posted:

also plenty of normies use F5 to refresh

i don’t believe you

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

why does anyone need a second set of number keys. ridiculous

right shift?! never used it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

my cerakeys arrived but they don't work well as replacements for the low-profile caps on the K13 I use for work so I'm not sure what to do. no second B key so they can't go on the Q10

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no second what key

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the Q10 has two B keys because I guess people who Type Correctly can use either thumb for that key on un-split keyboards. I thought it was silly but I have noticed that I do use both somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hm, interesting. NGL i hate it, but i also appreciate that kind of unconventional thinking.