Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hi. i give up. this rmbp is causing my cubital tunnel to flare up

I CANNOT HAVE A LOUD rear end OFFENSIVE CLICKY THING

but i want a real keyboard

what do we think about the matias mini tactile pro (for a straight board) or the ergo pro (for a split)

kind of intrigued by the alps clones as i grew up on a //gs and then apple extended kb

this is for work, not fragging in playerunknown's overnite or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Naar posted:

Matias Tactile Pro is the nicest keeb I've ever typed on

would it be acceptable in a pretty quiet open office with only 3-4 ppl in it, that has hvac noise 24/7, or is it bad

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ok, how are the mid range kinesis splits

i cant buy one of those $400 fuckoff boards but i have a 150 no questions budget which looks like it would get me a freestyle 2 kit

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
these colors mean nothing. i use a $2.99 walgreens keyboard at home. i'll read up

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm expensing this, gotta buy new

on the side though i may pick up an ergodox ez off a goon for home

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah others have mentioned that those new ones are well loved by people that jived on the old rear end MS Naturals which i loooooooved in the early 00's

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
OK, IT is pretty flex, they said that i can get the Freestyle 2 blue right away and if it's not slick enough, I can return and upgrade to a matias ergo pro

i'll report back when it comes in!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we'll see how she runs. and yeah i want to start playing guitar again!

my coworker is a former powerlifter and she's gonna help me with some basic physical therapy and stuff.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Roosevelt posted:

wish i had a lady powerlifter coworker who would teach me how to type properly : (

she runs colemak. super on point. its weird to watch her type

eschaton posted:

in all seriousness, for what you’d spend on a new keyboard, you can get a USB-ADB adapter and just use a IIGS keyboard or an AEK/AEKII

it’ll be really comfortable and not too loud and you’ll get bonus hipster cred out of it

Any of those things would look yellower than a HDR print of the piss tape, and i can't be arsed to magic eraser 108 pieces of plastic. It's a point, though.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Roosevelt posted:

jonny addresses the home row incorrectly. buff coworker crushes his balls under her heel and does 8 deadlifts - 400 lbs. then cranks out a script at 200 wpm while he looks on in shame and admiration

p much

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
alright freestyle 2 blue will be here on Friday. i know it's not fancykeys but we'll give it a week and see what we think, then go from there.

next week is payday and i'm gonna pick up that ergodox for home, which honestly i'm pretty loving excited about

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DELETE CASCADE posted:

don't you make a deece figgy now? why do you care what day payday is

eat a foreclosure and a divorce and report back

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'lll go ahead and save up for something new. if these things were 25 bucks i'd think about it. not paying $80 to type on some old dude's cumboard

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
freestyle blue is here
I like it a whole lot
gotta get the tent kit tho

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you got foreclosed on and divorced?

wow how did that happen

Getting laid off last year

both things

It's ok.

i'm gonna just do single dude midlife crisis poo poo and enjoy life

---
cranky b/c the bluetooth mac freestyle doesnt have f-lock. kinda lovely for shartnite

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
advantage is for old rsi- burnt up accountants and 12000 page homestuck fanfic writers. the freestyle is the kinesis for the stylish modern computer toucher on the go

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the freestyle is absolutely fine for normal humans. peopel that get offended by the texture of food probably find it unusable tho

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
maybe you type like a goddamn roided up football player or smth idk it meets my needs quite well

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Hed posted:

I also like the Keyboardio model 01

erm

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I was gifted a super clean model M but the space bar is loving up. sometimes it won't register, sometimes it sticks. Where do I need to start?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Fib posted:

Here is my work keyboard where I get all my real work done

Kailh Copper switches (similar to Cherry Browns but actuate after a shorter distance) with some PBT keycaps from aliexpress, and some tablet stands for the tenting.

I use a layout based on this one but qwerty rather than colemak: https://configure.ergodox-ez.com/layouts/Malb/latest/0

lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Silver Alicorn posted:

“kinesis freestyle pro/edge is just fine” crew checking in

high five

holy poo poo that chord setup above. wow. go on with your bad self i guess?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i ordered a $49 keyboard and mouse set with lights. it has 'brown equivalent' switches. i will review later today when its delivered.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it has caps and scroll LEDs. no numlock because there's no num pad

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its just no tenkey. once you get down into the super optimized ones with pgup/pgdn/home/end in a vertical strip, i lose interest.

this will be for a premiere box and i need my inverted t + 6pod of home/end keys to fly around the timeline properly

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the keyboard came in. it feels nice. the lighting is dorky but it can be turned off. VERDICT: needs-suiting for now.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

people who use dvorak are the same people who are interested in those "2 hours, 4 times a day" sleep schedule things

ive got a coworker who can type colemak when they're looking up at the screen, and qwerty when they're looking at the keyboard

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have never hated a thing so much in my life

but if it works for you i am happy for you

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
standing desks are bullshit anyways. if you actually can work more than 2 hours a day standing up you're either loving around on zooms, a psychopath, or both

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bobbilljim posted:

u kno jonny, many jobs require you to be on your feet the entire day. personally i dont think those workers are (all) psychopaths

ok in a computer toucher context

walking is way better than standing imo qtiyd

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they're just art projects at that point. nobody making things like that is writing more than ten lines of code a day.

It's like the guitars made out of a cigar box and a shovel. it works, it's cool looking, but you aren't gonna use it for your gigs at the blues bar 3 nights a week.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
do u know what all the squiggles mean or is that just for vibe

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cool ty!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Midjack posted:

also many of the push button keyless entry things on cars from the mid-80s, there were only five buttons but each had two numbers printed on it so you could pretend it was a 10 digit keypad.

try a 2005 expedition

that habit died hard with Ford

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Wild EEPROM posted:

do they still have that bug or feature where pressing 1 or 2 would be accepted, like if your code was 2222 and you pressed 1111 it would still open

or the kne where it doesn’t matter what you press before or after as long as the right code was pressed so if your code was 2222 then someone pressing 135222233 would still open

that long string of numbers is called a de brujin sequence and i know it works on my truck at least, idk if they ever patched the pad in newer models

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there's about a one second timer on it, if you punch it in too fast or hold two buttons at once it doesn't parse, so yeah. five solenoids on a little carrier that mag-sticks to the door, 1k of arduino code and a max of 10.5 minutes and you can get into any keypad Ford

also it doesn't relock if you type in the code and then keep pressing digits AND the 'lock' code is generally two buttons pressed at once so you don't even have to time it, just come back after a coffee and it's unlocked

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
gently caress, ALToids

lol

amazing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i talked to the #1 rsi champion at work today on zoom, the person that literally writes perl via voice commands (i am NOT joking)

anyways she gave me ammo to buy a $400 fancy split mechanical and get the company to pay for it

the magic four letters: O S H A

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so i have rsi (cubital tunnel syndrome) and had a meeting today with our company's rsi expert who literally writes perl via speech recognition. she told me to push hard for a really nice keyboard to slow things down.

what is a fully split kb (i want halves i can fiddle around) with a really good curve and the ability to load whatever switches i want into it. i buckle. i have been slain. teach me your ways. noise is not a real problem as i wfh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
waiting on approval for work keeb but i picked up a FC980m with reds for the photoshop / game box

tired of the old busted pos i was using