Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This was a good episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Josh's grandfather isn't making it out of this season alive.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That loving zoo song, I'm dying.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's extremely weird to me that Darryl's actual daughter, to whom he is extremely attached, has left the show. Like okay, Josh doesn't want a kid, but you have a daughter. You and your loving boyfriend could raise her together. It's not like Darryl is going to have to live his life without children. It doesn't solve the conflict, but it would be nice if they at least mentioned her. If she existed in any way whatsoever. I assume they can't get the actress anymore.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Josh can, he can raise the daughter Darryl already has.

My theory is she died and all the characters are in a denial so deep they can't talk about it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

If he doesn't want to have kids with Darryl why would he want to raise Darryl's existing kids?

(Not saying he'd purposefully want to not help with her upbringing or anything but surely a big part of not wanting kids is not wanting to raise kids).
Because he likes Madison

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

*slow music*
*fade to black*

*fade up text*

Cornelia will return in... Yo-Yo Mama, Thursdays at 6 on the CW.

*fade to black*

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

Really good episode, I feel like it would have been better without constantly cutting back to wacky West Covina antics though.
Yeah, constant cutting is really what should be avoided in this situation.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

I am really glad that it ended on a somewhat positive note. Most shows would have stopped a minute earlier for the added tension.
It would have been fake tension, though, since we know the lead character isn't going to die. Ending it here is way more interesting.

Also, the West Covina plot was worth it for "This isn't really about me."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My GF's sister is BPD, and my girlfriend has been calling this since Season 1. She's so smug today.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

God that was real. The scene where they list out all the signs of BPD bought up a lot of poo poo.

Does anyone know if the support system Rebecca was given in the hospital is an accurate representation (at least in the US)? I remember when a friend of mine did a similar thing a few years back, she spent about three hours in an NHS hospital bed, had some blood tests to make sure it was out of her system and when she asked the doctor what happens next she was told 'we don't have a mental health facility here but we'll notify your GP' and was out the door a few minutes later. No referral, no treatment.

That specific hospital has always had a bad rep though (and I was born there yay).
Absolutely depends on the hospital. There is no consistency state to state, or even facility to facility.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It probably even depends on the doctor you end up with. Some just want to process you as a number in a statistic, whole others are a bit more interested in helping.
It has way more to do with whether the hospital has psych beds. Otherwise...

Steve2911 posted:

when she asked the doctor what happens next she was told 'we don't have a mental health facility here but we'll notify your GP' and was out the door a few minutes later
This happens. A ton of hospitals just aren't equipped to deal with mental health care. America's mental health treatment infrastructure is not where it needs to be - but we do still better than most other countries in the world.

Edit: Not to totally discount doctor quality, but there are laws that govern whether a hospital can even hire a psychiatrist. Some hospitals don't have them because they don't have the mental health facilities to hire one. AFAIK it's just number of beds dedicated to mental health care, but I picked this all up secondhand.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zil posted:

Have always wondered if the tattoo really did say she prefers anal in Sanskrit.
It means "butter chicken."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You shouldn't, butter chicken is delicious.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm so glad they remembered Madison existed.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nah, seems like smooth sailing forever to me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Caphi posted:

Nathaniel getting on Rebecca for trying to do something nice and going crazy like he didn't just try to get Josh's dad deported for her.
Right?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This show needs more Audra Levine.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't think it's the best but people always forget about Strip Away My Conscience.
I didn't. I will never forget it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rebecca and Nathaniel should definitely not have sex right now.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I love how they tied in her totally selfless water war from Season 1 to this totally selfless office retaking, which also got her and The Guy kissing at the end, using the guy who ruined her case then to solve her problem now. All tied up into a bow.
The new guy is a gateway drug to crack.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

She does note that she'd never been brave enough to try cocaine! :v:
She grew up with warm showers.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

She's clearly more than a 1.8.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It needed to both sound credible and still not be 2.

Also I'm sure that if she decided she was bisexual, she would take it to 11.
I don't think she's bi because she's known Heather for a couple years now and never made a move, which is insane given Heather's everything.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also not to be prude or anything, but injecting yourself with a syringe in public is kinda gross. Unless of course it's essential, like insulin or allergy medicine.
It was essential, she needed to do it for a medical treatment she was undergoing. She wasn't just going "huzzah, needles, I soitanly does love me a needle," and then jamming six of them into her eyeballs. Don't be weird.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

I never got any vibes of Rebecca being into any woman (Feelin' Kinda Naughty notwithstanding) but maybe Darryl's ex is her type.
She's into Paula when Paula is being sneaky.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

The scene where Rebecca confesses she's scared of what will happen if she gets in a relationship with Nathaniel was just devastating. Rachel Bloom is so wonderful in the serious bits.
Michael Hyatt (Dr. Akopian) is the MVP of the episode. She's always been fantastic in this show, and I'm glad she got some time in the spotlight.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The live show ticket market has been a disaster for a while now. People putting on shows never seem prepared for it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Maybe what feels true is more important than what is true.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Unfortunately the whole thing just felt out of character and overly stupid
It's the curse of every good but low-rated show forced to constantly rewrite itself to fit the network's needs in terms of budget and episode count. Same thing happened to Parks and Rec.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Paula is a terrible person though.
Nah, she's alright.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Speculate about what happened to Josh's puppy that he was bringing Rebecca
Gave it to one of his cousins.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Android Blues posted:

Nothing is Ever Anyone's Fault is one of my favourite songs in the whole show. It so perfectly blends a good character moment with a hilarious existentialist satire.

"It wasn't technically Hitler's fault / wasn't technically Hitler's fault!" in perfect romantic double harmony is just such a huge laugh line. It's wonderful.
This and the full-cast one about love are my two favorites.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Caganer posted:

i have a confession: i don't like the songs.

i originally got into it because the bartender character (greg?) reminded several people of me.
Tell us about the time you hosed that bush.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

While Season 3 had an absolutely amazing peak, I feel like it was overall kind of disappointing. I loved the stuff about Rebecca's personal journey, but the West Covina antics stuff felt weaker than ever. Also I have no idea why they decided it would be a good stuff to skip eight months of personal journey for all the side characters, that straight up killed what interest I had in their stories.

Not to mention that Beth feels like a complete non-character who exists solely to be a love interest and while Valencia certainly deserves one, Beth is so very boring and they have absolutely zero chemistry.
Season 3 definitely loses sight of its supporting cast, but I think that's a consequence of CW constantly messing with their episode order and poo poo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Is this a thing that happened? I've never heard about it before.
Supposedly, but I am not a Hollywoo reporter.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yikes

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I still can't believe they're doing this. What a mess.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aleph Null posted:

Indeed. It reads like they are going to spin it with "people change" and "you look different" jokes.
But. Still.
Ugh.

While we are complaining, I found Mrs. Hernandez more interesting and likable when she didn't talk and I do not miss Karen at all.
It's a disappointingly lazy piece of writing from a normally talented team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wait, what? How? Season 4 isn't out yet.
I'm talking about the already-announced Greg decision.

• Locked thread