Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Howdy all,
Due to the technical difficulties of our legendary Ugly Guitars/Stupid Music poo poo thread, which seems to be making GBS threads the bed at 520 pages, I hereby submit this successor for the continuation of searching out, posting, and debating the stupidity of music poo poo.

For example, depending on what you like, this is either the best thing or the worst thing:

To me, this is a beautiful guitar; but to many it is hideous:

The previous thread had over 50 pages of yours-truly constantly (I really mean constantly) melting-down and effort-posting about how I was really not owned. I was really, really drunk in those days and that's all the defense I'll give; as it really was inexcusable (I was owning myself more effectively than most.)

Through it all, there was an embarrassment of riches in really ugly guitars, awful concepts, and incredibly stupid music poo poo posted over the years and here we hope to carry on that tradition begun by poster Harakiri Potter who started their Ugly Guitars thread in GBS on Christmas Eve, 2013.

Based on my JEM70vSFG, above, I stole forums poster and real working musician Concatenation's great joke (from page 519) and contributed this, summing up my own stupid music poo poo:

This is happening on short notice and I don't really know how everyone will feel about it; but in any case, "Welcome One and All" to what I sincerely hope will be a worthy successor to a thread that can truly never be recaptured (unless someone more insane than I was comes in and shits it up worse than I did.)

At least we don't have to worry about the amount of stupid music poo poo being created in the world slowing down. It's out there. Bring it in here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Dirt fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 15, 2017

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Uuuuugggggggghhhhhhhhh

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPgXOaiaRDU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

Uuuuugggggggghhhhhhhhh

Is that a good or bad reaction?

In other news I need some stupid music poo poo advise: I recently moved and got rid of about 90% of my stupid guitar poo poo. I am down to 2 guitars(from 11 at one point, lmao), and just one amp(Silverface Fender Super Reverb aka the best amp ever), and a couple of random pedals. I am settling into my new place, and have the urge to buy something stupid.

Leaning towards a Gibson Firebird, because I always wanted one. What are the odds they start making the VII model(3 pickups, lyre trem) again next year? It's been a long time since Gibson made those. Or should I just go look for a used one?

Firebirds own because they are technically stupid music poo poo. It's dumb shape with goofy options. But I always thought they looked so badass.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 15, 2017

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dirt posted:

Is that a good or bad reaction?

Yeah let me clarify:

That guitar looks like it should come with a puka shell necklace, an aerosol can full of week-old body odor, and a restraining order from a girl who's just barely over the age of consent.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The first song ever played on that guitar will definitely rhyme the word "love" with "above". The second will try to rhyme "baby" with "save me", with limited success.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
That's a little bit of an overreaction dude, that guitar would be played for a week and then sit in a case in the closet for years until the guy's mom sold it on craigslist for $100 because he moved to costa rica to be a surf bum and never calls home because there's not a place with electricity within 500 miles of where he lives now, dude.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The third through twelfth songs played on that guitar will be aborted attempts at "More Than Words" interspersed with "wait wait wait...okay". It will end after twelve attempts because the work friend's barbecue is over. The next time it is seen in public will be during divorce proceedings.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

That's a little bit of an overreaction dude, that guitar would be played for a week and then sit in a case in the closet for years until the guy's mom sold it on craigslist for $100 because he moved to costa rica to be a surf bum and never calls home because there's not a place with electricity within 500 miles of where he lives now, dude.

Yeah but she had to sell it; she cosigned his student loans and those people are loving merciless and it's not like HE is going to pay that poo poo.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Cool thing about that guitar is I saw it listed for like 3 grand on Reverb

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dirt posted:

Cool thing about that guitar is I saw it listed for like 3 grand on Reverb

That reminds me of something my mother used to say: "I'm not mad, I'm just very disappointed right now"

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
P90s seem like kind of a weird choice for a rich-hippy guitar.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Anime Reference posted:

P90s seem like kind of a weird choice for a rich-hippy guitar.

P90s are the best possible pickups though.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dirt posted:

P90s are the best possible pickups though.

Yeah but rich hippies are the worst possible people so it seems more in character that they'd do something awful like single-coil EMGs or Lightwave+piezo or some other such atrocity.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Anime Reference posted:

Yeah but rich hippies are the worst possible people so it seems more in character that they'd do something awful like single-coil EMGs or Lightwave+piezo or some other such atrocity.

Yeah that makes sense. They are the types that would buy those alumitone pickups that Lace tried selling a few years ago.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Surf green is the best color for a guitar IMO. But this is hideous. That might be more of a seafoam green? I can't ever tell the difference...Either way I love that sort of green.

Here is some more surf(seafoam?) green stupid poo poo:

Dirt fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 15, 2017

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Maybe it’s actually a devil’s trap for idiots.

I’m glad this thread didn’t end up back in the garbage pit of GBS. I was worried for a while.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

The third through twelfth songs played on that guitar will be aborted attempts at "More Than Words" interspersed with "wait wait wait...okay". It will end after twelve attempts because the work friend's barbecue is over. The next time it is seen in public will be during divorce proceedings.
This post is superb. Thank you.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm glad this thread didn't end up back in the garbage pit of GBS. I was worried for a while.
Though that had been proposed the likelihood of it working nose-dived pretty quickly in my estimation.

Dirt posted:

Surf green is the best color for a guitar IMO. But this is hideous. That might be more of a seafoam green? I can't ever tell the difference...Either way I love that sort of green.

That's just green. Light green or something.

Has anyone played a double-neck live? Bass/guitar double-neck? Strat/Tele? 6-string/12-string? I'm curious, because I have not and it looks... difficult to pull off.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 15, 2017

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

One of those guitars that are... like, double guitars?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

How about 4 guitars at once?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOmoUXHgePs

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
What if it were 3 necks? And pretty much unplayable by normal people? And what if it was a guitar, banjo, and mandolin?

I think I posted this in the old thread. Built by a gospel/bluegrass guy from West Virginia supposedly in the mid to late 50s. Two necks pieced together to make the guitar part, so past the 20th fret it's just for looks. A dog-ear P90 buried under body filler, with two different DeArmond Guitar Mikes on the banjo and mandolin. Gibson branded banjo tuners on what might have been a Gibson banjo neck(there's traces of the original inlays that look very similar). My dad tasked me with trying to make it playable, but I don't think it's worth it for something he doesn't know how to play.

I do plan to pull the strings off so I can see what the date codes are on the pots, and maybe see if I can the electronics sorted. I'd love to yank the P90, but it is original to this monstrosity and I doubt I could get it out without trashing the area around it.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

This thread needs some Yngwie imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blNQZc84Q5c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ-teYmKZKc

He is the king of stupid music poo poo.

That first song rules. But I am embarrassed by the fact that I have listened to a stupid amount of his music.

Despite whatever anyone thinks of him, he has, by far the best right hand technique of anyone I have ever seen play guitar. It's so loving smooth. It's a shame he plays such lovely music.

I once bought a guitar with a scalloped neck because of him. That poo poo sucks, and I feel bad about buying it. Ritchie Blackmore is the only other guy to pull off the scalloped neck thing. It is so weird to play with.

Any of you ever try it?

Dirt fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 15, 2017

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Thumposaurus posted:

How about 4 guitars at once?
O my.
I was actually curious about folks who've actually put double-neck instruments (I mean bass/guitar, 12-string/6-string, Strat/Tele) into use in their personal lives, especially on stage.)

Have some really stupid music poo poo (it didn't seem so stupid at the time):

I was in this progressive-rock band (sorry) where the drummer and bassist/keyboardist/singer (remind you of anyone?) wanted to use his Carvin Double-neck 12/6-string on just the outro of one Rush cover song (can you guess which one? You don't have to, it's coming up at the end of the post) and I told him he needed to cover keys/bass/Moog Taurus Pedals and I'd fake my way through the outro and no-one would give a poo poo about a missing 12-string.

Rush was still kinda relevant in the prog scene way back then (early 90's, grunge hadn't taken over completely yet) but this was just dumb. He wanted to play the 12-string part with no guitar amp and those things are so hard to keep in tune, so why bring it to a gig for a few bars at the end of a really long song?

He was pissed at me (what's new?) but I talked him out of it. I get it, he bought the thing, so he really wanted an excuse to use it and I get that. He might have bought it for that song as far as I know.

I'm pretty sure this is that guitar:

It happens I have a live recording of this song from November 11th, 1993.

It's recorded off a VHS cam-corder and I tried to clean it up but, you can't clean that crap up much. I hope you get a laugh out of it. The drummer has a Gibraltar blocks set and roto-toms but most of his kit is electronic pads into an Alesis D4. At least the snare and Hi-hat were real.

I'm playing an ADA MP-1 through a Peavey Classic 50/50 stereo power amp with lots of MIDI-controlled rack effects.
The Bassist/Keyboardist/Singer is doing everything else.

Ok, so at the end I have this simple part to play and I put my hand down on the wrong frets. I tried to save it. That's some VERY stupid music poo poo.

I'm pretty sure this performance could not/would not be saved by a 12-string arpeggiating an Emaj chord at the very end, especially if it meant leaving out the bass and keys.

Hey first page and I'm still posting old MP3s. Beware, it's Rush. It's almost 11 minutes.

Anyway, the point was: Does anyone really use double-neck and if so, what are they? I'm fascinated. I feel that if I had, say, a double-neck 12/6-string, I might need two signal chains (amps and effects) to run them through. That's a lot of effort for something I could probably ignore or do with a pedal.

Dirt posted:

This thread needs some Yngwie imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blNQZc84Q5c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ-teYmKZKc

He is the king of stupid music poo poo.

That first song rules. But I am embarrassed by the fact that I have listened to a stupid amount of his music.

Despite whatever anyone thinks of him, he has, by far the best right hand technique of anyone I have ever seen play guitar. It's so loving smooth. It's a shame he plays such lovely music.

I once bought a guitar with a scalloped neck because of him. That poo poo sucks, and I feel bad about buying it. Ritchie Blackmore is the only other guy to pull off the scalloped neck thing. It is so weird to play with.

Any of you ever try it?
Yeah! I have a friend who is an Yngwie fiend and he can only reach "Paul Gilbert" levels (lol). I agree: I don't like YJM's music, I love his tone, I love his technique, and I once played a YJM Fender that was AWESOME. There's a difference between loving technique and feel and trying to get into the actual music. I'm totally with ya.
I have a buddy who is using two Blackmore Strats right now. I'm going to go play them 11/05 when we get together to show off new gear.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 15, 2017

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I saved this gif and meant to put it up on the first page but got distracted. Thanks!

Dirt
May 26, 2003

yessssss

This wasn't terrible imo. I listened to that whole 10 minute thing. Kinda sounded like Rush mixed with something. Maybe Umphrey's? I love both of those bands fyi.

I liked how in the old thread, everyone talked a bunch of poo poo about playing at one point, but maybe 3 or 4 people actually posted links of their playing. Dr. Faustus posted a bunch(he can shred!). I posted at least one clip... a few other people did too. Everyone else was surprisingly quiet.

tl:dr post clips if you want to talk poo poo

edit:

Buckethead is my favorite guitarist so I probably shouldn't talk a lot of poo poo. But goddamn he is good. I have seen him live around 10 times, and he has blown my mind every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is_8bjYVmnA

This is the reason my lovely Ibanez has a arcade style button kill switch on it and I use a stretchy guitar strap. He is my hero. I don't know how you can listen to that song and not go nuts. Buckethead rules. If that part at 3:28 doesn't make you go nuts, you are broken imo.

I still hate my self for not buying a Gibson Buckethead Signature guitar when they were available.

It's so legit

Dirt fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 15, 2017

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Dr. Faustus posted:

real working musician Concatenation's

this is a very optimistic appraisal of my financially ill-advised attempts to rehash 90s swedish death metal instead of concentrating on a different career, but thankyou all the same

i am glad life is better for you now dr f, and look forward to more stupid music poo poo to come

---------------------

Thread as always requires more rigs of dad

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Concatenation posted:

this is a very optimistic appraisal of my financially ill-advised attempts to rehash 90s swedish death metal instead of concentrating on a different career, but thankyou all the same

i am glad life is better for you now dr f, and look forward to more stupid music poo poo to come

---------------------

I would hangout with both of these bass dads

ps i would totally be down to play in a 90s swedeath band. hit me up

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Dirt posted:

Mint green maybe?

Also, I'm pretty sure it owns hard and does not belong in this thread.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Bill Posters posted:

Mint green maybe?

Also, I'm pretty sure it owns hard and does not belong in this thread.

My lovely Jaguar is "seafoam green".

The best Fender colors imo

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ayo I wanna play Carnage riffs too guysssss

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Concatenation posted:

Lol. I can see my future all too clearly.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Dirt posted:

My lovely Jaguar is "seafoam green".

The best Fender colors imo

Yeah, agreed. I've got a jazz bass in surf green which almost looks blue in some light. But that double neck doesn't really match either colour.

I really love all the pastel fender colours. One of the prettiest basses I've ever seen was an old shell pink jazz bass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
i've been told that my passion for living borders on the extreme

oh wait, watch this....! heh, love that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChZ-QSinSF8