Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pondex posted:

Tangentially related to that: 40k has that chapter of space marines that are also metalheads:

yeah they're called bolt thrower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Saw this happen in a Slayer pit before it is cool and good.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

Tell us more about this magnificent creature.

Sure. This is the Stupid Music poo poo.

I bought a very cheap black guitar back a long time ago, probably in the eighties. Some time in the nineties I saw a museum exhibit that for some reason inspired me to do some carving. Not something that I knew anything about, but how hard could it be, right? I started cutting up that guitar. The great majority of the carving was done by hand with a razor blade.

As it was an extremely cheap guitar, the body was made out of plywood. You see where the different layers have been cut through.

Maybe 15 or 20 years later, I did this one:

Oh yeah, and a bass I did around 2000:

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Thumposaurus posted:

Saw this happen in a Slayer pit before it is cool and good.

I saw the same thing at a basement punk show. They dropped the kid.

He'll never walk again. :(

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I feel like this must have been posted here before but I just noticed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFUnpHr5O-Y

It looks like fun to me

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
https://www.guitarworld.com/news/kurt-cobains-battered-boss-ds-1-distortion-pedal-sells-for-dollar9000

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead

I didn't know lowtax was married to a DS1

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I get that it's a piece of memorabilia but I can't stop thinking A NEW ONE COSTS 49 DOLLARS

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Shugojin posted:

I get that it's a piece of memorabilia but I can't stop thinking A NEW ONE COSTS 49 DOLLARS

Presumably, the money has gone from some boomer with too much money to spend on stuff to put in a display to some musician guy who knew Kurt and probably will use the money to buy a new one that gets played. What I'm saying is, I'm okay with this.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
It's getting on my nerves how every software provider wants you to install their own download manager thing to install stuff, really makes grabbing free (legit) Kontakt libraries etc a pain in the arse. So annoying having to make a bunch of different accounts for sites to install their one or two free instruments/plugins, go through a whole checkout procedure, then download an install manager, then sign into that, then download the thing.
It's like they saw the direction PC gaming has gone and went "hell yeah let's get in on that!".
I'm sure there's somewhat valid technical reasons behind it but urgh.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

NonzeroCircle posted:

It's getting on my nerves how every software provider wants you to install their own download manager thing to install stuff, really makes grabbing free (legit) Kontakt libraries etc a pain in the arse. So annoying having to make a bunch of different accounts for sites to install their one or two free instruments/plugins, go through a whole checkout procedure, then download an install manager, then sign into that, then download the thing.
It's like they saw the direction PC gaming has gone and went "hell yeah let's get in on that!".
I'm sure there's somewhat valid technical reasons behind it but urgh.

Fewer dongles these days at least, but hard agree. The free stuff is to get you to install their installer, so they have a foot in the door.

Heh. Dongle.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
loving iLoks are the goddamn worst. Especially when you pay for the stuff, but like the internet goes down at the studio, and then it crashes everything, and I JUST NEED TO SEND THIS ONE SONG OUT YOU STUPID loving ILOK BULLSHIT!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I don't mind Native Access too much, given the volume of poo poo that comes with Komplete to manage and it was really helpful when installing all the bits I wanted, but having a launcher each for the one item of freeware another company offers is a bit crackers.
The only reason I'm checking out other stuff is because a niceish solo violin/solo strings is the one thing the standard Komplete is lacking that I want and having just dropped on that I'm not going to be buying anything else for a while.

Thankfully the only dongle I have to endure is the eLicenser one that makes Cubase work.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Having to gently caress with installers and accounts and all that is the main thing keeping me from getting into DIY production (and maybe my lack of talent/effort :negative:). I get the itch to record something every few months, but then I open up my DAW and I have to reauthorize 10 different VSTs, send a few password reset e-mails, etc and by that point I'm just tired of the whole mess.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Pay for everything you want to use.

Then pirate the ever loving poo poo out of it so you don't have to put up with that iLok mess.

But definitely pay for it first.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I found a youtube video of a van halen cover that I got the 1st view on. I've never seen a "No Views" youtube video before. Huh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZviKaD0mmfI

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 29, 2020

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Nine subscribers. Mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, ...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

GreatGreen posted:

I found a youtube video of a van halen cover that I got the 1st view on. I've never seen a "No Views" youtube video before. Huh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZviKaD0mmfI

In the thumbnail it looked like he had a friend with him :smith:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Eh, good for him. He's having fun in the middle of a pandemic.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Now he's got 35 views!

I hope he doesn't find out why.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

polynominal-c posted:

Nine subscribers. Mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, ...

Grandma’s two other accounts because she forgot her passwords again...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Do you guys have any good recommendations on pedal building kits? Doesn't really matter if it's actually a good circuit, just like a TS clone or some fuzz pedal could work. Comedy option would be like a HM2. Basically just something with all the components, a PCB, and an unpainted enclosure with holes. I want to teach someone how to solder/do fine detail work so I thought it would be a fun exercise to make one

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Spanish Manlove posted:

Do you guys have any good recommendations on pedal building kits? Doesn't really matter if it's actually a good circuit, just like a TS clone or some fuzz pedal could work. Comedy option would be like a HM2. Basically just something with all the components, a PCB, and an unpainted enclosure with holes. I want to teach someone how to solder/do fine detail work so I thought it would be a fun exercise to make one

Literally anything from fuzzdog.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I’ve got a bunch of spare superfuzz boards, but I haven’t made them into kits

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Joe Bogan posted:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm gonna get the HM2 clone from BYOC when it comes back in stock, but I think a TS808 is an easy enough circuit for this task so I'm going to do that one.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Joe Bogan posted:

What's fuzzdog?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

OutOfPrint posted:

What's fuzzdog?

Nothing. What's fuzz with you?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jonny Nox posted:

:goofy:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jonny Nox posted:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm gonna get the HM2 clone from BYOC when it comes back in stock, but I think a TS808 is an easy enough circuit for this task so I'm going to do that one.

We also have this thread! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851429

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Woah -- that's a really great thread.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
The secondary market for used band instruments is so saturated right now that it was cheaper for me to buy a used, refurbed Noblet from a guy I trust than it was to get my regular Noblet worked on.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
typically girls make fun of my noblet but I think it has a good mouthpiece

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spanish Manlove posted:

typically girls make fun of my noblet but I think it has a good mouthpiece

Nice.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

OutOfPrint posted:

What's fuzzdog?

https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Teloch from Mayhem has a video on how to play Black Metal and it's comedic genius, dude's honest about not knowing any theory (or even the string names) and hails Satan, god bless him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmD3-7l1FV4

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

sigher posted:

Teloch from Mayhem has a video on how to play Black Metal and it's comedic genius, dude's honest about not knowing any theory (or even the string names) and hails Satan, god bless him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmD3-7l1FV4

I love that he’s telling me to smash that like and subscribe button and Patreon is weird but here’s the PayPal link :v: gently caress I just started and it’s great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

https://reverb.com/item/34430368-ampeg-key-for-lee-jackson-lock-1029-90s-chrome

The Ampeg VL series have this corndick lock that come with the key above so you can lock your amp while you're not on stage so no uncool poindexters try to use your totally rad Ampeg. Obviously it's cheesy and can be easily defeated. Naturally, there are completists who will pay $20 just to have the key. Definitely wear it on a necklace like dog tags so the ladies know you gently caress.