Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I'm the stupid poo poo, BUT I've cut down the number of Yngwie piles to one! I might even be able to get all those into cases or gig bags for safer storage.

Current situation behind my couch, more dollars there than I want to admit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

nurrwick posted:

I got to see Dragonforce live in either 2005 or 2006; they had Protest the Hero open for them and those guys sucked it up so bad that show that they mooned the audience for not cheering louder for them.

I like Protest The Hero - at least, I really dig that Kezia concept album that blew them up. I do get the impression that a lot of their stuff, especially back then, was fairly reliant on 'studio magic' - not to say that they aren't talented, but every part is too perfect for a band that was at the time very young, and I recall most live videos being a lot more messy. You can almost hear the 'punch in' button.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

nurrwick posted:

I’ve seen footage from shows they were too drunk to play at,

Now that actually sounds like fun

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

I like Protest The Hero - at least, I really dig that Kezia concept album that blew them up. I do get the impression that a lot of their stuff, especially back then, was fairly reliant on 'studio magic' - not to say that they aren't talented, but every part is too perfect for a band that was at the time very young, and I recall most live videos being a lot more messy. You can almost hear the 'punch in' button.

I'm pretty sure Kezia was the album they were promoting... there was a music journo sitting right in front of us and he was disappointed with PTH's performance, and I think he was expecting Dragonforce to suck just as much. That on top of the show starting late because the openers apparently didn't show up, so there wasn't much hope. He became visibly astounded with what Dragonforce was doing about halfway through the first song. I wish I could find the article he wrote.

As I think on the experience, it didn't make a whole lot of sense that the two of them were paired off on the same tour, but I guess "metalheads will listen to anything" made someone's quarter easier.

Snowy posted:

Now that actually sounds like fun

As I imagine sitting at a festival or something and having this band come on that people were saying were fast as hell and played dueling solos and poo poo... and then it turned out that they were too shitfaced to keep coherent time together, I'd probably find it hilarious. I bet Vadim would have been even more entertaining during his 'Game Boy Solo.'

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
David Gilmore used to write his parts out, have someone play them for Pink Floyd records and then go back and learn them. Steve Lukather won't name names but he's known as a go to teacher for when you're about to go on tour and you have to learn your guitar part from the album. Everyone up and down swears that Gene Simmons can't play a note on the bass. The studio is a different animal than composing and playing live.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

David Gilmore used to write his parts out, have someone play them for Pink Floyd records and then go back and learn them.

Pink Floyd, especially around Dark Side times, are another band that strikes me as 'punch in abusers', especially Gilmour. But lmao, that's even funnier.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

Pink Floyd, especially around Dark Side times, are another band that strikes me as 'punch in abusers', especially Gilmour. But lmao, that's even funnier.

Oh absolutely, but also could you imagine recording on two and four track then suddenly getting access to an eight track? I think it's one of his strengths that he could know what he wanted but also know he couldn't play it.

Also- I happen to have found the quote and guitar article where he talks about it (which is good because saying "my guitar teacher from 1995, who is an industry insider and later won a grammy, told me it" sounds like "My uncle works for Nintendo").

quote:

His belief in what he can and cannot do, however, prompts him to seek out other guitar players who possess the skills he claims not to have. This is hardly the way most recording guitarists think.

"The limits of what I can think of, or what I can write or think about for a guitar, are greater than my own personal playing limits. So if it comes up, which it does once in a while, that I can't play the part that I want to play - not having the technical proficiency in some areas - then I'll get someone else in to do it for me. To me, it's simple: Since there are some things I don't do, then there's no reason why I wouldn't get someone else to do something I thought of but I couldn't do.

https://pfco.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/band/interviews/djg/djginside.html

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Speaking of Kezia, that's a really loving good album that you should listen to, yes you, if you're in to punk or metal.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Herman Li does seem like a very nice man. I heard him on Yo, Is This Racist? first I think.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Was it racist?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's not really stupid unless it's a band you guys hate, but the main guitar player from Textures has been doing so much cool streaming stuff. I emailed him like 15 years ago about on screen tabs he had and he never responded, but his curring situation is loving sick

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Was it racist?

It usually is.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

To be fair to Dave Gilmour, he didn't really start bringing in other players until late in the band's career, when they decided to bring in a Beach Boy, the guy from Toto (and his dad) and the guy who played the farting synth for Queen, among many others. The main 4 guys in the band were certainly not gifted musicians, but they knew how to make sounds that people liked.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I think overly technical music is dumb, but I watched the youtube documentary about archspire recording their latest album and I appreciate that they were very transparent about how much they punched in multiple times per riff, and that they had to learn how to actually play the songs after recording the album. It's 100% not how I would do stuff, I guess coming from an era from where you would have the songs written and tight live before you'd even think about recording anything, but it's the only way that makes sense to create the style of technical metal they do.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
As a guitarist it’s loving cool to come up with a song that’s a few notches above your current skill level, do a million single note takes to get a good recording, then spend six months learning it.

That sense of satisfaction when you’re like “huh, this doesn’t feel hard anymore” is so awesome.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
I believe archspire also each run personal IEM mixes of the studio track stems when they play live, plus a click track, so they’re not really ever listening to each other’s performances on stage and are free to just concentrate on playing to an idealised version of their songs. That’s just kinda what it takes to have stuff not sound like dogshit at that level of technicality I guess.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Chrpno posted:

and the guy who played the farting synth for Queen

Are you talking about that solo in I Want To Break Free, or…

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

yes, burned in

disclaimer: not my guitar, belongs to a friend who is what you might call an autodidact. It's a cheap knockoff strat that he used to learn on, so whatever.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

raspurtin posted:

yes, burned in

disclaimer: not my guitar, belongs to a friend who is what you might call an autodidact. It's a cheap knockoff strat that he used to learn on, so whatever.

I think I fixed it

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Snowy posted:

I think I fixed it

:hai:

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

raspurtin posted:

yes, burned in

F F# G G# A Bb B C C#
Bb B C C# D

Does he know A#s exist?

Oh absolutely, but also could you imagine recording on two and four track then suddenly getting access to an eight track? I think it's one of his strengths that he could know what he wanted but also know he couldn't play it.

Also- I happen to have found the quote and guitar article where he talks about it (which is good because saying "my guitar teacher from 1995, who is an industry insider and later won a grammy, told me it" sounds like "My uncle works for Nintendo").

https://pfco.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/band/interviews/djg/djginside.html

I always wondered about One Slip and Terminal Frost, specifically. This clears things up.

Concatenation posted:

I believe archspire also each run personal IEM mixes of the studio track stems when they play live, plus a click track, so they’re not really ever listening to each other’s performances on stage and are free to just concentrate on playing to an idealised version of their songs. That’s just kinda what it takes to have stuff not sound like dogshit at that level of technicality I guess.

Plus I'm willing to bet you're hearing a LOT more backing track than you think. Not just with Archspire specifically but in general I have a suspicion that any band that uses click tracks and IEMs will have a heavy backing track presence in the live show.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

stratdax posted:

F F# G G# A Bb B C C#
Bb B C C# D

Does he know A#s exist?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

stratdax posted:

F F# G G# A Bb B C C#
Bb B C C# D

Does he know A#s exist?

I always wondered about One Slip and Terminal Frost, specifically. This clears things up.

Plus I'm willing to bet you're hearing a LOT more backing track than you think. Not just with Archspire specifically but in general I have a suspicion that any band that uses click tracks and IEMs will have a heavy backing track presence in the live show.

Yeah it's pretty common and basically assumed in any technical leaning metal bands, everything has to sound exactly like the CD so if you harmonised the solos over a riff with 2 guitar parts you bet the laptop is getting a workout. It's pretty disappointing (and surprising to many people who aren't knowledgeable about modern production etc) from an audience perspective.

It's why I really only go watch crust and grind bands anymore lol. More fun when the bands can have a couple of brews too!

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
with alzheim's open

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
When I saw Dream Theater at Massey Hall for Octavarium, IDK if they had any backing tracks going on, but from my lovely seat in the mezzanine I could see they hid an entire guitarist in the wings of the stage to play rhythm while John would solo.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

When I saw Dream Theater at Massey Hall for Octavarium, IDK if they had any backing tracks going on, but from my lovely seat in the mezzanine I could see they hid an entire guitarist in the wings of the stage to play rhythm while John would solo.
Same kind of deal last time I saw Dinosaur Jr - I was up high enough that I could see the other guitar player pacing around behind all the amps away from the rest of the band.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Using an extra guitarist live is okay, but have the decency to put them on the actual stage. They can stand in the background and be boring, but hiding then behind the scenes is lovely.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

When Lindsey Buckingham left Fleetwood Mac they had to put four guitarists behind the stage to help replace him.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

The Leck posted:

Same kind of deal last time I saw Dinosaur Jr - I was up high enough that I could see the other guitar player pacing around behind all the amps away from the rest of the band.
Was it the guitar tech or somebody else?

When I saw them last (~2019) the guitar tech played some parts occasionally, but there was NOT anyplace to hide and they were open about it. They actually brought the guitar and drum tech on stage to play with the band for one song, which was pretty cool.

Seeing Lou Barlow play was an epiphany. I wanna thank whoever told me to stand by the right side of the stage so I could hear his amps over house mix, which had bass a little low (unsurprisingly).

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Having your tech play a few bits isn't that unusual now. They know the songs, they're already onstage or next to it, they're already wired for IEM mix, and they're usually decent players in their own right. I haven't done any sidestage playing yet but I do gently caress with pedal settings and change patches when needed.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Remulak posted:

Seeing Lou Barlow play was an epiphany. I wanna thank whoever told me to stand by the right side of the stage so I could hear his amps over house mix, which had bass a little low (unsurprisingly).

There should be a Barlow Zone like the hippies had a Lesh Zone where each venue is mapped to hear the bass the best. It definitely makes a difference to hear him play and not just feel it because J's guitar is so goddamn loud.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

"flyyah murr turr the mewNAH
lyet meh playyyyy aMAWNGST the STEAHSAH"

Gonna watch that movie.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

There should be a Barlow Zone like the hippies had a Lesh Zone where each venue is mapped to hear the bass the best. It definitely makes a difference to hear him play and not just feel it because J's guitar is so goddamn loud.
Even though I've hosed around with guitars and basses in my life (I'm terrible), and occasionally tried Lemmy style, I really didn't understand what Lou was doing until I saw him. Then again I didn't start listening to Dino until like ~7 years ago (no, I can't explain this).

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

When Lindsey Buckingham left Fleetwood Mac they had to put four guitarists behind the stage to help replace him.

This video came up on my feed recently and laid out how deceptively difficult some of his stuff is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeNyc9pXm1w

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

BonHair posted:

Using an extra guitarist live is okay, but have the decency to put them on the actual stage. They can stand in the background and be boring, but hiding then behind the scenes is lovely.

spare a thought for Muse's touring member, Morgan Nicholls, who sometimes gets to inhabit a hole behind the drumset:

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Actually all four just played one big guitar together.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Skrill.exe posted:

Actually all four just played one big guitar together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUeysGoPFTk

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead

well why not posted:

spare a thought for Muse's touring member, Morgan Nicholls, who sometimes gets to inhabit a hole behind the drumset:

Lmfao that he doesn't even get a guitar rack for his epiphones. Just imagining Matt Bellamy screaming "no Gibson's for you, you worthless piece of trash! Put your goddamn budget guitars on the ground where they belong and crawl in your hole, loser"

E: they aren't Epiphones after all, just a Crestwood style body. I still choose to believe the above is accurate and Bellamy doesn't know either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

The ingenuity bred by cellos being too expensive ^