Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

One of those guitars that are... like, double guitars?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I know a guy who's got a rick 4003 knockoff that says "Dickenwhacker" on the head.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Is...

Was that a bass?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

No airbrushed wizard, 0/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

Has anyone ever bought and built one of those guitar kits off eBay? I see they have Steinberger knock-offs and I thought maybe it'd be a fun side project to learn how these things work and how to solder, etc. I could also have my own sick paint job, :hellyeah:

Not off ebay, but I've finished 4 kits from here: https://www.pitbullguitars.com/ If you need advice, their forum has friendly, knowledgeable people. I started with zero woodworking and soldering skills and learned as I went, and it was heaps of fun.

Couple things:

It's not that hard, but it's not that easy either.

Do a dry run assembly and measure everything carefully. Getting the scale length right is super important, as is placing the bridge squarely. Dry run. Measure. Repeat.

You will sand until your arms drop off, and you will be about 1/8th of the way done with sanding.

After you buy sandpaper, paint/stain, topcoat stuff, polishing stuff etc, it's not all that much cheaper than just buying a cheap second hand guitar. If you you replace the pickups, tuners, nut, etc like you'll probably eventually want to, it's not cheaper at all.

You will probably gently caress up and not know how to fix it at least once. Nearly everything's salvageable though, unless you do something like snap the neck in half. Even gluing a set neck in wrong is apparently fixable, with time and effort.

It really is heaps of fun, but it's kinda addictive. I just wanted a tele, and now I've got a tele, an LP, an ES335, a jazz bass converted to fretless, and I'm building another tele.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 29, 2018