Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Welcome to the thread for Fall 2017 anime, Houseki no Kuni (English title: Land of the Lustrous)! This is a cg animated show with a premise that may remind some of Steven Universe. It's about a tribe of sentient gem agender people that are in a continuous existential struggle against moon Bodhisattva monsters that want to turn them into jewelry. Their society is hierarchical based on the hardness rating (how difficult it is to shatter) of the gems, and if they get shattered they can be reconstituted so they are effectively immortal as long as they don't get taken by the moon people. While I was initially highly skeptical of this show the first two episodes have won me over on the strength of its characters. This is perhaps the first time the CG actually works.

The main cast:

Phos: Hardness level 3.5. Phos is a giant gently caress up and kind of an idiot, and as the most useless gem in battle has largely been lazing around. She's finally given a purpose when the Master asks her to compile an encyclopedia, a task she still seems completely unequipped for.

Cinnabar: Hardness level 2.0. She's the outcast of the group, as she is a dirty birdie and leaves a trail of toxic slime everywhere, so her duty is night patrol (the enemy only ever attacks during the day). She wants nothing more than to kill herself, so Phos has taken it upon herself to find a better purpose and reason to live for Cinnabar.

Diamond: Hardness level 10. One of the most powerful gems, but is insecure about her ability in com bat

Bort: Hardness level 10. I don't know what a Bort is but she is the most powerful of the gems and can kill pretty much anything. Tsundere?

Rutile: Hardness level 6.0. She's the group's medic, who reconstitutes the gems after they get shattered. Phos thinks shes a "quack."

Also the manga has some pretty sick art:

PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwFpAyEuph8

As always, please spoiler discussions of the manga

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Can't wait for a mica girl to show up.

She'll have nice ... cleavage. :smuggo:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The gems are genderless OP

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I didn't realize this was even getting an anime. Probably one of the few I would say CG would actually be a better fit.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Original 2d PV for the manga from a few years back for those who are curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OQX0KkqVSk

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also Bort is Carbonado (Black Diamond) if anyone is wondering

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
carbonado is a much better name

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Homura and Sickle posted:

a tribe of sentient gem women

They're genderless OP. This kinda, sorta, not really, comes into play when they refer to each other as brothers.(Which was really surprising back when this was only a manga)

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

carbonado is a much better name

Can you get a Carbonado license plate?

:smug:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Everything Burrito posted:

The gems are genderless OP
doesnt stop the male gaze on their hips and buns

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Relin posted:

doesnt stop the male gaze on their hips and buns

ahaha yeah

yeah uh

what

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
My gay male gaze is making their buns into man buns

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

The Colonel posted:

ahaha yeah

yeah uh

what

it's a lot more predominant in the first ep than the second

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

DisDisDis posted:

My gay male gaze is making their buns into man buns

same, but without the gay male part

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

same, but without the gay male part

*angry voice* doesn't stop the female gaze on their hips and buns

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

DisDisDis posted:

*angry voice* doesn't stop the female gaze on their hips and buns
:smugmrgw:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

it doesnt bother me, i like anime titty (well, none here), but they are being posed for a male viewer in a fair number of shots. feminized even though they are rock humanoids

i liked the use of the gamelan during the first appearance of the lunarians a lot

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Neat!
https://twitter.com/starshadowmagic/status/919431591322984448

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Let me tell you about my hardness level op :mrgw:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bort

Cutting diamonds

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Also the hardness scale they refer to is the Mohs scale.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
How many episodes do we got?

Because while the beginning of the manga is good and weird, it slowly develops into being incredibly good and incredibly weird. I would love to see some of the later parts animated.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Phos being one of the last living things in the universe and also 100% completely useless, with no potential to even become useful at some point in the future, is an amazing cosmic joke.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Lt. Lizard posted:

How many episodes do we got?

Only a single cour (12-13 episodes.)

The show is probably mostly being used to advertise the manga.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

an actual dog posted:

Phos being one of the last living things in the universe and also 100% completely useless, with no potential to even become useful at some point in the future, is an amazing cosmic joke.

Hey, Phos is cute, what more do you want? :v:

@Mokinokaro: Thanks. I still cant believe there is Houseki no Kuni anime, so I'll take what I can get. And If they keep the pace, it will get to some of the really good arcs anyway.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

an actual dog posted:

Ep 2: With being dissolved in that slug, what's the chance Phos actually changes composition to something different? (I assume the viewpoint protagonist doesn't get killed off 2 episodes in.)

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Cinnabar's poison is mercury, for the record.

The next episode being called Metamorphosis is probably some kind of indication that Phos will be coming back as a metamorphic variant of phosophyllite - if such a thing exists? I can't actually really find it on any phase diagrams

whereas the good Doctor Rutile could come back as Anatase or something if she got melted and cooled off a bit

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Relin posted:

they are being posed for a male viewer in a fair number of shots. feminized even though they are rock humanoids
literally: no they arent

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

men are so obsessed with being the assumed viewer that even when they realize being the assumed viewer is the bad thing they have to post on the internet about how literally everything assumes a male viewer and bend over backwards to try and 'call out' 'male gaze'

its crazy

anyway, good show about they rocks

agemder

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope the show inspires men and women everywhere to wear really long socks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i hope the show inspires men and women everywhere to wear really long socks
you dont need a gender to wear really long socks

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Not a fan of long socks until they're long enough to turn into thigh highs, personally.

I really like that they're animating a lot of small motions that add character, and Rutile messing with everyone is good.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 16, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Jade busting their hands up on the master's head was a lot funnier of an event than I was expecting.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Their reaction is really good

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

chumbler posted:

Not a fan of long socks until they're long enough to turn into thigh highs, personally.

I really like that they're animating a lot of small motions that add character, and Rutile messing with everyone is good.

those are genderless rock thighs those socks are reaching, bxtch

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

a kitten posted:

Jade busting their hands up on the master's head was a lot funnier of an event than I was expecting.

The comedic body horror is really well done. Seeing someone holding a casual conversation while gesturing with someone else's limb is both subtly unnerving but also really hilarious.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The GIG posted:

The comedic body horror is really well done. Seeing someone holding a casual conversation while gesturing with someone else's limb is both subtly unnerving but also really hilarious.

Or Bort just tearing Dia's arm off. Perhaps not the healthiest relationship.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
the moment Phos tried to 'save' Cinnabar from falling in the first ep and her arms just pop right off made me laugh too

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

chumbler posted:

Or Bort just tearing Dia's arm off. Perhaps not the healthiest relationship.

I thought it was that Dia's arm had broken during combat from the strain of deflecting the arrows, and Bort was revealing this as a brusque way of calling out her out on trying to fight solo.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

:perfect:

I love the fact that they seem to have deliberately mismatched the hair and seiyuu so that there're plenty of gems with more feminine hairstyles and more masculine voices.
I think the only exception I noticed was Dia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Knorth posted:

the moment Phos tried to 'save' Cinnabar from falling in the first ep and her arms just pop right off made me laugh too

It's funny but it's also extremely depressing

• Locked thread