Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The_White_Crane posted:

Phos is an rear end person. :pervert:

That was a really unexpected turn though. I was saying to someone just the night before I watched it that this was one of the most "I have no loving clue where this is going" shows I'd ever seen. drat you, traitor snail-king!

She could have just asked Sensei for help... Now she'll never get that date!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hey! My Diamond!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Who is saying that line? It seemed like it came out of nowhere.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

Who is saying that line? It seemed like it came out of nowhere.

The slug.

Who by the way did use some gendered phrasings when referring to the gems, probably because she (being not a mineral) does know about and assume gender.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Also the slug is Senjougahara

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

the central conflict that comes up in this episode is intriguing as gently caress, this season has some surprising aots contenders with this probably being my top so far.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Futaba Anzu posted:

the central conflict that comes up in this episode is intriguing as gently caress, this season has some surprising aots contenders with this probably being my top so far.

It didn't seem like a central conflict to me. Maybe it will become more apparent in later episodes.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

https://my.mixtape.moe/bqlyxv.webm
praise be to them

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I'm pretty sure boob physics don't work like that underwater. 0/10 worst anime of the season.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

There Bias Two posted:

I'm pretty sure boob physics don't work like that underwater. 0/10 worst anime of the season.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Well, uh, that went a way I didn't expect.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Snail king, how could you???

I'm currently theorizing that the throw-away line about Snail King wondering how come they couldn't eat Kongo is because Kongo isn't actually a gem. I think Kongo is actually a complete "Human," which is the theoretical result of a Soul, Flesh, and Bone coming back together in harmony. In my (admittedly bullshit) theory, it would make sense since the monk attire they're wearing kinda goes in line with IRL monk's pursuit of spiritual enlightenment, and something something Kongo is in harmony. Except not really, since they seem to have nightmares.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They must go through a lot of makeup if they're all covered in it all the time.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i forget, is it ever mentioned whether the other gems and minerals actually sleep? if not, i feel his "meditation" just being him trying to catch some zzz's may also be a lowkey hint towards that.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Sindai posted:

there's a lot of talc to go around i hear

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

i forget, is it ever mentioned whether the other gems and minerals actually sleep? if not, i feel his "meditation" just being him trying to catch some zzz's may also be a lowkey hint towards that.

they have individual bedrooms, and sensei definitely sleeps under guise of meditation at least sometimes

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Futaba Anzu posted:

They have a harder time staying awake without any sun. This will come up in the future

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sindai posted:

It's interesting that they think their natural forms are hideous when they are comprised of some of the most coveted aesthetic materials in the world.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Is this going to be one cour or two?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Futaba Anzu posted:

We've seen them go dormant in the dark, ( Dia passing out in the field, Phos getting weaker underwater, etc.) although whether that's actually analogous to human sleep is anyone's guess.

It's the reflexively human behaviors of the gems that I think are fascinating. Why do they have a nudity taboo at all? What does the word sensei mean to them? Why do they wear full-body powder to give them a near-human skin tone, but keep their 'hair' as a raw gem?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
so the viewer can fetishize them

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Relin posted:

stop

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

trump's approval rating is higher than congress' and yet they get reelected like 90% or more of the time

lollin' at desperate liberals thinking anything trump does will have an impact on the midterm elections

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Relin posted:

what would chaos emeralds look like in housek i no kuni

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Futaba Anzu posted:

what would chaos emeralds look like in housek i no kuni

I think that is knowledge that we can do without.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
an original character do not steal hedgehog character named for each color of chaos emerald

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Make Agender Gems Awesome

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Relin posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Please refrain from posting stuff like this, thanks a bunch.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

An interview with the director. Lots of good stuff here:

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2017/10/31/land-of-the-lustrous-director-takahiko-kyougoku-interview/

"I struggled for quite a bit at the beginning. I’m used to working with characters in their teens, who have obvious desires and acting on simple motives. As for Phos, they’ve spent 300 years not doing anything, so even their frustration lacks resolve and has an air of resignation to it, or so I was told by Ichikawa-san."

"Orange’s crew has always been good at action, having worked on Rebuild of Evangelion and so on, so I knew they would be able to pull it off. My instructions didn’t amount to much. It was along the lines of, “Have the camera come in from the right and move to the other side, and cut it there.” Of course, that was written in the storyboard as well. And before I knew it, the camera would be spinning all over the place, as they’re known to do."

"The very first storyboard is from June of last year, so it’s substantially more time-consuming than regular animation. The show is like a cicada that’s buried itself in the dirt for 18 months, to only now come peeking out (laughs). In return, I’m very happy with how it came out."

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
ed:

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 1, 2017

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

quote:

"One fact I learned that I found surprising was that the gems are actually wearing mourning clothes. It’s supposed to show how they treat life and death, which makes sense."
...huh.

With such a long development time, it definitely looks like 12 episodes is all we get.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there's enough manga for about two cours, but very few points at which the story could be reasonably concluded. i think this season will end around ch 28-29 while the next good point after that is near 50.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

dogsicle posted:

there's enough manga for about two cours, but very few points at which the story could be reasonably concluded. i think this season will end around ch 28-29 while the next good point after that is near 50.

Exactly what I thought. I think that place is perfect for a season ender, especially at the pace they're going

I'd love if they got a 2nd season in about a year or 2

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

quote:

"One fact I learned that I found surprising was that the gems are actually wearing mourning clothes. It’s supposed to show how they treat life and death, which makes sense."

... what the hell kind of mourning clothes include short shorts?
I mean, I'm not complaining, but...

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The_White_Crane posted:

Given the fact that they're photosynthetic, pants would probably be a poor choice

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

The_White_Crane posted:

If my legs were as good as the rock people's I'd go to the grave showing off my gams.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

The GIG posted:

If my legs were as good as the rock people's I'd go to the grave showing off my gams gems.

FTFY.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Truly, truly outrageous.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
re: the shorts

What their outfits remind me of the most are clothes young boys traditionally wore (or still wear as school uniforms) -- shorts, jacket & tie, tall socks, loafers. Being all black does give it a funerary feeling. Their outfit is also designed like a romper which up until recently was a child's outfit. They're essentially dressed like children, which makes sense if you think about their ages in a geologic sense -- a few hundred years is like nothing to a rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

A romper is still a child's outfit.

• Locked thread