Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
The gems' innocence of basic biology also helps sell them as somehow childlike. See Dia's confusion with Snail King eating & excreting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/pdpdpd_d/status/924585517915684864?s=09

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

thanks for being such great sports. give a hand to Bort and Jade!!!!

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 2, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Snail headpet is the cutest thing.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Well that was an interesting turn of events.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

"M-maybe Phos is out working hard on her new job?"

Everyone: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Episode off to a good start.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Gemtlemen, we can rebuild them! We have the technologyminerals!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

What a strange and beautiful show.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

nielsm posted:

Gemtlemen, we can rebuild them! We have the technologyminerals!

Maybe she's the first union of Bone and Flesh in a long time. I wonder how losing these memories will affect her personality. I also expected her to be way older than 300.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

since we're through most of vol2, i can post some of the official release stuff!

TL note on the slug siblings:

quote:

Ventricosus and Aculeatus

The names of these two creatures comes from Latin. Ventricosus, the ruler of the Admirabilis race, has a name that fittingly means "corporeal" or "of the flesh." Aculeatus means "prickly" or "barbed," which explains his taste in shell fashion. The reader may reasonably assume that the name Admirabilis is also Latin, and it means "admirable" or "astonishing."

and the manga depiction of Phos' new legs, as seen in color on the cover of vol 2:

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

dogsicle posted:

since we're through most of vol2, i can post some of the official release stuff!

TL note on the slug siblings:

and the manga depiction of Phos' new legs, as seen in color on the cover of vol 2:

I always wondered how they were going to depict the legs. In the manga, I always assumed that they were a stripe of agate and the other stripe was the normal resin-skin color. It's a lot more beautiful than I imagined with the shiny pearlescent finish of the shell comprising the other half of the striped legs. I really like it.

e: I think it's alright since it's just a name, but I don't think we've been formally introduced to Alexandrite(Alex) yet

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 4, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This show is so weird and good.

So the gems are actually microorganisms that live in crystals and feed on light.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sindai posted:

This show is so weird and good.

So the gems are actually microorganisms that live in crystals and feed on light.

They seem to comprise a colony of sorts without specialized internal organs.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

A cute Phos.

https://twitter.com/cubewatermelon/status/926939693530468355

:rip: everyone

a kitten fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 5, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Today I learned that the manga releases one chapter per month. :negative:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Today I learned that the manga releases one chapter per month. :negative:

there's also the fact that scans are awful and confusingly refer to the gems exclusively with male pronouns. the official volumes really are lovely to read and i think i can handle them releasing every couple months, at least until they catch up...

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

a kitten posted:

What a strange and beautiful show.

Also, poor Jade :3: All the gems being very scared when Kongou arrived was good and funny

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I really like this strange show about gem people. I especially like how even though every gem knows that Phos can't do jack, they still go look for her without a second thought.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

If a piece of an appropriate substance is attached to Phos it becomes More Phos. The bits that were removed to do this are presumably also still Phos...

So who says Phos only needs two arms? Or needs to be not 100ft tall.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

http://land-of-the-lustrous.com/news/index00490000.html

everyone enjoy the cute gems

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Dzhay posted:

If a piece of an appropriate substance is attached to Phos it becomes More Phos. The bits that were removed to do this are presumably also still Phos...

So who says Phos only needs two arms? Or needs to be not 100ft tall.

We were thinking the same thing. Why not use that entire shell?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

There Bias Two posted:

We were thinking the same thing. Why not use that entire shell?
This definitely falls under the 'why do they look like people at all?' umbrella. If Phos didn't have replacement material for their legs, could Rutile just have reassembled their existing parts into a shorter version?

They also play rock-paper-scissors, millenia after mankind perished. Who taught them that and why?

EDIT: I was also weirded out that Phos's severed face-chunk had closed its eye. Like it went to sleep in the absence of the rest of its parts. If Phos can merge with new materials, could you make many copies of Phos with enough agate?

Squidster fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 5, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the series will give more details on it later, but reconstruction like this seems uncommon (see: literally every other gem being intact) and Rutile is wary of it working at all. giving full body upgrades would be risky just from an integration standpoint, but there's also the matter of memories being stored in the body you cast off. at what point would a gem like that cease to be themselves​?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I hope the snail people find Phos's legs and construct another Phos using more shell.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

No Watermelon, no sale.

Those all rule

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I love the music in this series. The full opening and ending themes are already out too, they're really good.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Dire Lemming posted:

I love the music in this series. The full opening and ending themes are already out too, they're really good.

The op in particular has really grown on me.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Eela6 posted:

The op in particular has really grown on me.

The bass line is really catchy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxxKm_O1xwo

The full theme has a sax? solo. I love how dissonant the whole thing is. It really fits the vaguely unsettling, alien world of the show.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 5, 2017

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

dogsicle posted:

there's also the matter of memories being stored in the body you cast off. at what point would a gem like that cease to be themselves​?

This is a cool invocation of the Ship of Theseus, because on the other hand you could eventually gather the parts they're leaving behind and perhaps have a separate entity with all their previous memories? They would be 'old' memories though, while the continuously existing example would have new memories. Which one actually carries their identity?

Or is there some 'critical component' in each of them that activates what's connected? Maybe something in-between like a heavily weighted quorum, which wouldn't be reliable if Phos adding new 'nodes' to the cluster though. Does the new material not store memories?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ranzear posted:

This is a cool invocation of the Ship of Theseus, because on the other hand you could eventually gather the parts they're leaving behind and perhaps have a separate entity with all their previous memories? They would be 'old' memories though, while the continuously existing example would have new memories. Which one actually carries their identity?

Or is there some 'critical component' in each of them that activates what's connected? Maybe something in-between like a heavily weighted quorum, which wouldn't be reliable if Phos adding new 'nodes' to the cluster though. Does the new material not store memories?

They get into this in the manga, which I don't think we're gonna hit by the end of this series. It's complicated.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Every time I watch the op Im blown away all over again. And Im the guy that skips even good ops after Ive seen it once. And the rest of the show looks basically as good the entire time. I really hope this show sets the standard for cg anime in the future because it puts every other attempt to shame.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

Every time I watch the op Im blown away all over again. And Im the guy that skips even good ops after Ive seen it once. And the rest of the show looks basically as good the entire time. I really hope this show sets the standard for cg anime in the future because it puts every other attempt to shame.

I feel like it's cheating just a little, because it all has this slightly oversaturated dream-like look which lets them get away with a bit more on the lighting than they could if they were aiming for a more realistic tone.
But regardless, it's loving beautiful.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ViggyNash posted:

I really hope this show sets the standard for cg anime in the future because it puts every other attempt to shame.

i dont know, i think the 3d parts of etotama are still the best showings of 3d animation in tv anime still

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Neat, and one for a phone I guess

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The_White_Crane posted:

I feel like it's cheating just a little, because it all has this slightly oversaturated dream-like look which lets them get away with a bit more on the lighting than they could if they were aiming for a more realistic tone.

Yeah that's valid. They don't have to worry about creating detailed cityscapes or anything equally complicated because the entire show consists of grass, the homebase, the gempeople, and now the ocean and slug people.

That said, it also the way the show moves that looks incredible.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Where are you all watching this? It sounds interesting.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hiro Protagonist posted:

It's on amazon's anime channel

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's on Amazon's AnimeStrike channel, which requires a Prime membership and a subscription to the channel itself. or :filez:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The_White_Crane posted:

The ending bit where Phos walks is the only part that annoys me because it looks a bit jerky. Like if you're gonna spend time on a walk cycle, spend it on the one in your opening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Anime strike for official subs. Horriblesubs is doing a decent job of fansubbing, too, but that's :filez:

• Locked thread