Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

A wave of invaders from the Negative Zone spreads from galaxy to galaxy, bringing chaos and ruin to everything in its path. Starfaring empires and intergalactic peacekeeping forces are torn asunder. When Annihilus and his conquering hordes threaten even mighty Galactus, can your cosmic heroes hope to stop the Annihilation Wave?

What is this?
Once upon a time Margaret Weis Productions put out an awesome superhero RPG called Marvel Heroic Roleplaying. Marvel yanked the license just as MWP had their Annihilation Event Book ready to go. But this is the internet, where good RPGs live forever and, more importantly, where I can put my copy of the event book to good use.

The Annihilation Event introduced the idea of cosmic level play. MWP introduced heroes and villains with vast powers and concerns far beyond the normal Marvel superhero on Earth. There are interstellar empires, alien races, ridiculously advanced technology, and much higher stakes. Such as an evil space bug trying to conquer our universe and a ragtag group of cosmic space dudes and dudettes deciding that just isn't cool.

Recruitment

I'm seeking 6 players to step up as PCs and face down the Annihilation Wave. You don't have to play a cosmically powerful hero like the Silver Surfer or Thor, but for example, if Daredevil and Hawkeye are getting up to hijinks on Xandar, do give me some explanation.

For those who have access to the rules, pretty much any hero is open. You can modify or change power sets to fit the campaign.

Original characters are also welcome. The Annihilation Event Book makes that very easy, but you can use the original rulebook to come up with a character, too. (If you go the random generation option, I suggest using what you get as a baseline and tweaking liberally into a cohesive character.)

For those without the rulebooks, this is a newbie friendly game, so don't let unfamiliarity with the rules stop you! Just figure out who or what you'd like to play and I'll work with you.

House Rule: Countering Reaction

Normally on a successful reaction roll, a character can spend a Plot Point (or D6 if the Watcher) to inflict stress, action, or a complication on their opponent. For this game, I'm stealing adapting Defiance Industries's house rule.

quote:

On a successful reaction roll, a character must spend 2 Plot Points if countering with a D10 effect die and 3 Plot Points if countering with a D12 effect die. Otherwise, the effect die will count as a D8. You must meet or exceed the target's stress or existinging complication(s) to step it up. You can still create a new complication or an asset per the usual rule.

List of Official Datafiles

Defiance Industries posted:

I thought I'd repost this. It's from my Civil War recruitment OP: an alphabetized list of all the characters with official data files.

Aegis, Alex Power, Amadeus Cho, Arachne, Archangel, Armor, Armory
Beast, Beta Ray Bill, Bishop, Black Cat, Black Panther, Black Widow, Blastaar, Bullseye
Cable, Caliban, The Captain, Captain America, Cerise, Chase Stein, Cloud 9, Cloak, Colleen Wing, Colossus, Chase Stein, Cyclops
Darkhawk, Dagger, Daredevil (Matt Murdock), Daredevil (Danny Rand), Deadpool, Devos, Doctor Strange, Domino, Drax, Dust
Elixer, Elsa Bloodstone, Emma Frost
Falcon, Firelord, Forge
Gamora, Gauntlet, Gladiator, Goliath
Hardball, Hawkguy (Clint Barton), Hawkeye (Kate Bishop), Hellcat, Hellion, Hercules, Human Torch, Howard the Duck, Hulkling
Iceman, Invisible Woman, Iron Fist, Iron Man
Jack Power, Julie Power, Justice
Karolina Dean, Katie Power, Komodo, Korath
Luke Cage, Lyja
M, Machine Man, Magma, Mercury, Micromax, Mister Fantastic, Molly Hayes, Moon Knight, Monica Rambeau, Moondragon, Moonstone, Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers), MVP, Mystique
Namorita, Nebula, Nico Minoru, Nightcrawler, Nighthawk, Night Thrasher, Nova (Richard Rider)
Paibok, Patriot, Paladin, Penance (Speedball), Phyla-Vell, Praxagora, Punisher, Psylocke
Quasar
Rachel Grey, Radioactive Man, Rage, Rockslide, Rogue (from the weird dumb time she had Sunfire's powers)
Sabra, Sabretooth, Shadowcat, Shang-Chi, Shatterstar, She-Hulk, Silver Surfer, Siryn, Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Spirit, Stardust, Star-Lord, Stellaris, Stature, Storm, Strong Guy, Sub-Mariner, Super-Skrull, Surge, Swordsman
Tabitha Smith, Tana Nile, Terrax, Thing, Thor Girl, Tigra, Trauma, Turbo
Ultra Girl
Victor Mancha, Vision (Iron Lad), Venom
War Machine, Wasp, Wiccan, Wolfsbane, Wolverine, Wonder Man
X-23, Xavin
Yellowjacket (Hank Pym)

Milestones

Given the nature of the setting, the Event Book has new Milestones that fit the campaign. Certain alien races and organizations have their own specific Milestone options, too.

quote:

A Small Universe After All
The universe is vast, yet you keep running into people you know.

1 XP when you first declare that you have a history with a Watcher character in the current Scene.
3 XP when you cause stress on another character because of your past history.
10 XP when you betray someone you have a history with or you discover that your historical links run far deeper than you first knew.

Captain’s Log
You’re a commander of a space-faring vessel, whether a small scout ship or a massive Shi’ar cruiser.

1 XP when you give orders to someone under your command.
3 XP when you give an order that sends your ship into direct danger.
10 XP when you abandon ship, or go down with the ship.

Fascinating, and Logical Too
The effects of a super nova’s particle decay have never been studied up close while interacting with a hypergate field. It’s up to you to witness it!

1 XP when you use scientific technobabble to talk about the current environment.
3 XP when you use your Science or Cosmic Specialty to avoid taking stress or a complication.
10 XP when you exploit a cosmic event in order to help solve the current situation, or let a cosmic event run its course so that you can study it without interference.

For My People
You are an exemplar of your alien culture, admired and fiercely protective of them.

1 XP when you claim that an achievement is a result of your people’s work.
3 XP when your pride in your people puts you into conflict with another character.
10 XP when you are exiled from your people, or vow to never again work with anyone who is not your people.

I Hate This Cosmic Stuff
You come from a backwater world (like Earth). All of this galactic this and cosmic that is beyond your understanding.

1 XP when you take a simple approach to a cosmic problem.
3 XP when you make a roll to try to understand advanced technology or strange alien beings.
10 XP when you become an important figure in the universe, or reject cosmic importance in order to help your home planet.

In It to Save Lives
No matter how much damage a creature has caused, you believe all lives are worth saving.

1 XP when you state the case that all lives are worth saving.
3 XP when you put yourself in direct danger to save someone’s life.
10 XP when you save a life that you know will lead to more death, or you’re forced to take a life to save many
others.

Last, Best Hope for Peace
Eons of galactic strife have lead to many intergalactic enemies, but only you can bring them together to fight the Annihilation Wave.

1 XP when you tell someone unfriendly that you only want to talk.
3 XP when you forge an alliance between two sides in conflict.
10 XP when you break an alliance to declare war, or when the alliance is broken by war being declared on you.

Son of a Schma’Ag
You’re a criminal, fugitive, and/or all around nasty piece of work, and you’re proud of it.

1 XP when you use your Menace Specialty to inflict emotional stress.
3 XP when you add a d12 to the doom pool.
10 XP when you perform a truly heroic act in front of witnesses, or switch sides suddenly to ally with someone who’s nastier than you are.

Step Three: Profit
Even with a war going on, you’re still concerned with keeping the money flowing.

1 XP when your business instincts apply to a non-business situation.
3 XP when a Business asset or resource you created is lost.
10 XP when you make a big enough business deal to be able to retire, or if you spend all of your money financing opposition to the Annihilation Wave.

Sufficiently Advanced Technology
The right piece of technology might be able to turn the tide against the Annihilation Wave. If only you had time to invent it.

1 XP when you explain a piece of technology.
3 XP when you produce an asset or resource using Tech Master or Grandmaster.
10 XP when you invent something that will change the universe for the better, or one of your inventions becomes a major threat to the universe.

Tag Along
You’ve encountered a being that wants to stay with you and, without your help, it will probably be helpless against the Annihilation Wave.

1 XP when you take action to protect someone you’ve declared as your ward.
3 XP when your ward gets in trouble despite your protection.
10 XP when you declare your ward as your successor or banish your ward from your presence.

Zen and the Edge of the Universe
The mysteries of the cosmos are vast. You seek enlightenment in the midst of war.

1 XP when you discuss with another character the metaphysical implications of a cosmic event.
3 XP when you ignore an imminent threat to witness something of cosmic importance.
10 XP when your understanding of the universe leads to an enhanced state of being, or you abandon the pursuit of enlightenment to kick some rear end.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Well, I can already tell I'm going to have a hard time picking the roster. Somehow I think having Ultron, Doom, and Loki on the same side might prove more dangerous to the universe at large than the Annihilation Wave.

Lager posted:

How serious do you want this campaign to be? Because I'm debating between a few different ideas, and not gonna lie, Golden Oldie is definitely one of them.

I almost put up a recruitment post for the old dumb TSR cosmic modules, which would definitely not have been a serious take. But this will probably be a bit more on the level. More serious than this, anyway. Still, it's superheroes in space fighting an evil space cockroach so silliness is kind of baked-in to a degree!

That said, I lean more toward a ridiculous character that Marvel earnestly meant as serious, like Mr. Demonic Babyhands dude, to Aunt May, Herald of Galactus.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm interested, but it's a question of how goofy / non-canon I veer. I mean, I apped Galacta last time around. :raise: Also thinking of a lot of other ideas, too, I have too much Marvel fandom in me.

Her tweets were fun, but I couldn't help but wonder what her phone's roaming charges must have been.

I thought I'd repost this. It's from my Civil War recruitment OP: an alphabetized list of all the characters with official data files.

Adding to the OP and thanks! Do you still have your house rule for reaction rolls handy, by the way?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

In general the character creator is "throw some numbers together on a sheet that make sense". There's a random generator if you really need one of those, but Beta Ray Bill already has a premade sheet in Annihilation.

Yup, this. I only ever used the random character creator as a brainstorming device. And with the Annihilation rules, creating a character can start with slapping a couple of templates together like Skrull + Privateer or Assassin + Engineer.

Stray thoughts on characters so far:
  • Somehow I think having Ultron, Doom, and Loki on the same side (well, nominally anyway) might prove more dangerous to the universe at large than the Annihilation Wave.
  • Lager, I will never forgive you if you don't do that write-up of Master Pandemonium.
  • Just realized Master P and Cosmic Ghost Rider have the same demon power sugar daddy Mephisto.
  • Corsair and Yondu: cool space pirates with questionable father figure roles!
  • I am imagining how much more running away Shocker could do if he had a Nova Corps uniform that mistakenly believes he's the previous owner.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Some questions and thoughts on submissions so far.

Retro Futurist/Ghost Rider

Three power sets seems a bit much, especially since the third one is basically a slightly weaker version of the second. Also, the Mephisto milestone probably should get switched out for something more likely to come up in play. Other than that, I love the idea of cosmic Ghost Rider. Just keep in mind the Annihilation wave hasn't happened yet, so he'll be out there for unrelated vengeance infliction duties first.

Defiance Industries/Doctor Doom and Saitama

Unwilling Xandar exile Doom looks good. I can easily imagine him taking on the Annihilation wave and trying to shoehorn himself in as Grand Admiral Doom of the coalition of armies in its wake. Plus him and Johnny Storm having to be on the same side would be fun to watch.

As for Saitama... I don't like anime much and it doesn't like me, but dammit that is one punchy power set. And D12 Space Leaping. I have to see that in play sometime. I need to run the decidedly less serious cosmic game at some point....

WereGoat/Ultron and Dr. Peter Corbeau

Digging the Ultron idea, but my one question is what its motivation will be for sticking around to help everyone against Annihilus (who might be perfectly happy to have an amoral killer robot on his crew, like a super scowly HK-47). I could always have the Nova Corps put in some sort of "Don't Be Evil (US Trademark Law Doesn't Operate in Intergalactic Space, Suck it Google)" microchip installed, but a mind-controlled PC is probably not the best option.

Absolutely love seeing Hulk's old roomie. My only suggestion is to rethink having only a vehicle-related power set. Especially as vehicles in this Event are their own thing---you could still tool around in the Starcore-S without having it as a power set. As could anyone who boarded and hijacked it, not that you have any reason to think that would happen, of course.

Ferrosol/Loki

No problem with the datafile, so just looking forward to the write-up of what Loki is up to tooling around the galaxy.

neaden/Human Torch

Love the justification for his seeing the galactic sights and the milestones work, too. I look forward to the inevitable whirlwind romance and heartbreak with the Worldmind.

Lager/Master Pandemonium

Love the write-up. You may have written up the one character whom Annihilus *won't* try to steal powers from.

John Dyne/Nova Tyson

To be honest, kind of iffy on the superhero Tyson. I laughed, but they cross my line of what may be too silly for this game (and yes, I write that while also considering a man with demon baby arms and a fiery starhole in his chest). Plus it's a real world guy who has had some real serious issues with drugs, booze, and grappling with anger issues... not sure I will be able navigate the line between fun game and just being mean here.

thelazyblank/She-Hulk

I enjoyed Slott's She-Hulk and now I can't escape the image of Walters trying to stop Annihilus via legal machinations. Loving the idea of a galactic law practice for a bored superhero lawyer.

Dachshundofdoom/Silver Goblin
edit: Posted without seeing your update. Further comments en route!

The Goblinized Power Cosmic power set looks good. The milestones and backstory fit well, too.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 19, 2017

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
The deadline will be Monday late afternoon/early evening/whenever I get back home and am sufficiently recaffeinated.

Retro Futurist: Defiance Industries's advice is sound. I am going to take a pass at the datafile and see if I can't consolidate/revise the power sets a bit more.

John Dyne: Love the background for Venom's space superheroing. Also am wondering if his webbing can patch minor hull breaches. And the Thing would make sense if the Human Torch is around, and be even more fun if Doom is, too....

Astus: Deadbeat dad space pirate looks good. For the 3 xp Shi'ar milestone, maybe when you face or successfully evade a Shi'ar attempt to bring you in?

RandallODim: Nova Shocker was really something that had to happen. The expert artist rendering is :discourse:

Weregoat: The Ultron Identity/Ultimatum/Supremacy approach makes sense and I think the three potential entry points do, too. (Though my favorite is the pirate salvage and subsequent joining up.) Corbeau's Star space gear is very interesting, though I'm curious what the Transmutation involves.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Sorry all, the last few days were unexpectedly busy with travel and trying to find a way to not be unemployed. Things are cool now. So onwards....

Here is the future frontline against the Annihilation Wave:
  • Lager/Master Pandemonium
  • Defiance Industries/Doctor Doom
  • RandallODim/Nova Shocker
  • John Dyne/Venom
  • Weregoat/Ultron
  • Astus/Corsair
  • Retro Futurist/Ghost Rider
  • Dachshundofdoom/Silver Goblin

And yes, that's more than six, but there is a poo poo ton of things happening in this Event book and people will no doubt split off on various missions on a constant basis.

Astus, for Corsair's third SFX, maybe something like Killing Strike. Step back the highest die in your attack pool to add a d6 and step up physical stress inflicted?

The other thing I was saying is that, unless ibn wants to correct me, we're using the house rules for counter-attacks I cooked up in one of my other games, where counter-attacks increase in cost as their power increases. Making them free is therefore a net savings of up to 3 PP instead of just one.

We are indeed using modified counterattack rules, which I will add to the OP presently.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I added the counter reaction house rule to the OP. I should have the first IC post up later today.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ah, I wish I'd known you were so down on that notion. Alas.

Not at all! I almost went for having 10 PCs, but my craziness does have limits. I think.

Plus there are scenes where new PCs can easily be slotted in, so I'm treating the other applications as a reserve roster.

John Dyne posted:

Also Cheetah looks like a lady in pajamas but is actually a deity, so there's that.

Huh. I always thought she was basically an acrobatic furry with claws.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Sorry IC thread isn't up yet---I've been madly prepping for an international flight. Depending on airport wi-fi and charging stations, I'll try to have it up a bit later.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I also have a spare Fin Fang Foom writeup that almost saw the light of post as well, if you like! But just let me know if it comes up.

You should put the writeup up anyway. :colbert: Is there even a Marvel or general superhero thread anymore? I miss the brainstorming and write-ups in the old thread.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I want to see Thor, but am worried it will be dubbed in German and I won't be able to (1) understand or (2) stop laughing at what will surely be over-the-top dubbing for Hemsworth and Blanchett.

Also: IC thread will go up soon. Sooner if the Matterhorn lift is closed due to excessive rain. :argh:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I swear upon the ruins of Asgard the IC post is coming this day... already partially written, but new job decided we're starting at a crazy early hour today. Mea culpa!

Also, I saw both the European and US release of Thor: Ragarok. Main difference is about three seconds of in-your-face uncovered Hulk rear end in the hot tub scene.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Well, I hosed up with jumping back into things. :( I'll spare you the excuses, I still should have checked in.

That said... life is normal and on track and looking pretty good for the near future. Which means I really, really want to run a game of super-powered space dudes and dudettes doing crazy poo poo to save the universe. If anyone is still in (and that includes Galacta), chime in please.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
IC weiner thread is up at long last!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845534

There is no way you are *not* playing Fin Fang Foom in space, Alien Rope Burn so I wrote the IC post accordingly. Also that is a pretty cool space bike, but chipper Ghost Rider waving creeps me out big time.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

WereGoat posted:

Getting Ultron post together, just a quick rules q, if I'm creating something like a "course inputted, captain" asset for Corsair to use, can I use the Starjammer powerset as an additional powerset? So would it be (example):

D8 buddy, D8 Supreme AI, D8 Reflexes, D10 Starjammer-Senses, D12 Tech?

What Astus said.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Easily fixed! I will write you in when I get home from work tonight.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I added Silver Goblin's entrance post into the original IC post. I'm about to put up the Aks'lo and Kyln post, and will be rolling out the Xandar updates after (possibly at work since my phone is big enough to actually read and type out forum posts now).

RandallODim posted:

Shocker has done his first police job and I think he's done a very good job indeed.

His episode of Cops: Nova Corps Edition is going to get plenty of YouTube views, don't worry!

RandallODim posted:

Let me know if I grabbed too much NPC control or anything, Urban Shadows has spoiled me a bit and I can rein back if necessary/desired.

I don't know Urban Shadows, but no worries, that was well done. I don't mind PCs adding or acting for OOC extras when it makes sense.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
So this is what the Timer does:

quote:

The Watcher may spend a doom die of any size to create a Timer complication. This defaults to d6, but particularly time-crunched situations (as stated in the Action Scene) may start higher. Place the Timer in the action order as if it were a Watcher character. Whenever it acts, the complication automatically steps up to the next die size. If it reaches beyond d12, it immediately doubles and moves to the doom pool, giving the Watcher the power to end the Scene. The Timer complication is also included in any Watcher reaction pool where time is a factor.

You can target the Timer Complication with whatever you can narratively justify. I can defend the same, using either the Doom Pool or NPCs. But you can't reduce it beyond D4.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

So, was I supposed to do something else or something? I think you skipped me.

I was going to put all the Xandar updates at once, but didn’t finish before I had to head to work. Sorry...will have it up when I get home.

Retro Futurist posted:

Ok so uh...What should I do?

Sorry this will be the hand holding I'd mentioned.

No problem! So let’s say you want to put together a basic attack roll. You start with your solo die. Next see if you can justify a distinction (you almost always can, and should) and decide if it’s D8 or D4. Then you pick the power you want to use from your power set (or more than one if you have multiple power sets) and add that die. Then pick an appropriate specialty if you can (often Combat). You can add an asset or stunt, or use an opponent’s complication against him/her/it.

Make the roll and remember you generally want both a high number and a high effect die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Sorry for no updates the past few days... I've been chugging cold medicine after my commute (thankfully not before) and have been super loopy the past few nights before passing out. Probably for the best Xandar did not have tourists visiting from the Cookie Monster planet, in other words.

Hoping to get out of work early today and not take anything stronger than coffee tonight.

• Locked thread