Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

that's a forums bug, not an app bug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mr. Fix It posted:

that's a forums bug, not an app bug

Correct, although it is still possible to add someone to the ignore list using a different method than the app uses, if it isn't a kind of mod.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Is Awful known to be a battery hog? Whenever I notice that my battery is low after a couple hours of idle scrolling and I pull up the usage statistics, I always see Awful on top of the chart even when I’m spending about as much time doomscrolling on Twitter as I am reading equally cynical threads in CSPAM.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

blastron posted:

Is Awful known to be a battery hog? Whenever I notice that my battery is low after a couple hours of idle scrolling and I pull up the usage statistics, I always see Awful on top of the chart even when I’m spending about as much time doomscrolling on Twitter as I am reading equally cynical threads in CSPAM.

Are you in a lot of animated gif threads?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

blastron posted:

Is Awful known to be a battery hog?

Heavy network use + animation = heavy battery use.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Got logged out after using the new TestFlight version of Awful last night, it crashed when I logged in, and then worked okay the second login attempt except that it forgot all my settings besides the app icon (:ghost: 4ever).

Anyway I then (re?)discovered that the forum-specific themes page is unusable when a dark theme is on:

On the plus side, the new smart quote rendering seems fixed! And in the time that I've been using the new version, I also haven't seen the scroll thumbs invisiblize yet :toot:, thanks devs!

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

blastron posted:

confirmation bias

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Edit: never mind

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Post preview when quoting a post shows my former user name. Just replying in a thread will show the current one. Just a weird bug I’ve noticed

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
I accidentally added someone to ignore on the app. Is there a way to take them off? I can’t seem to find it.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
incredible app I've used every day for 10 years

I'm unable to create new threads in any subforum, the Preview button is always gray

Is this an Awful issue or am I just probated for something?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Dremcon posted:

I accidentally added someone to ignore on the app. Is there a way to take them off? I can’t seem to find it.

You cannot through the app, gotta go on the site.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

You cannot through the app, gotta go on the site.

If you tap on an ignored user’s username in a post to bring up their profile there’s an Unignore option

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Analytic Engine posted:

incredible app I've used every day for 10 years

I'm unable to create new threads in any subforum, the Preview button is always gray

Is this an Awful issue or am I just probated for something?

Pick a thread tag, the gray square left of the subject line.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Midjack posted:

Pick a thread tag, the gray square left of the subject line.

I thought that might be it but it didn't help

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Analytic Engine posted:

I thought that might be it but it didn't help

It got it working for me just now and is an easy thing to overlook - sorry it wasn't the fix. You aren't probated, at least!

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Midjack posted:

It got it working for me just now and is an easy thing to overlook - sorry it wasn't the fix. You aren't probated, at least!

Ha thanks, I'll test it more. Not itching to make a thread

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not letting you create threads is actually a feature.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

it indeed stopped me making one, and I later decided not to so it at all

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cat Hassler posted:

If you tap on an ignored user’s username in a post to bring up their profile there’s an Unignore option

However, you can't do this right after (accidentally) ignoring someone, you have to reload the page or go to a new page. It also doesn't work if you expand an ignored post and click on their username there - you have to do it on an ignored post.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cat Hassler posted:

Ah oops

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

I updated iOS and now it’s resolved. Sounds like a win!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

edit: woops, for android thread

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 11, 2022

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Since the last update embeds from youtube stop playing after five seconds. Is anyone else experiencing this?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

Since the last update embeds from youtube stop playing after five seconds. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Happens on my iPad but not my phone.

Not sure what causes it tbh

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Where did this horizontal scroll bar at the bottom come from lately, and how do i turn it off?

It's making my left handed thumb scrolling a pain in the rear end because it's moving everything to the left.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Did someone post something that is stretching out the page?

I’m not sure what behavior is supposed to be, there’s not going to be a turn off for it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

Where did this horizontal scroll bar at the bottom come from lately, and how do i turn it off?

It's making my left handed thumb scrolling a pain in the rear end because it's moving everything to the left.

Can't a long string of text without spaces do that? I used to have the same problem with quotes causing it on my old phone, one temporary solution is to pinch zoom out which fixes it but shrinks the page slightly.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Yeah someone probably posted something big. There was someone who posted graphs in the Covid thread all the time and did that

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Somehow the DDoS fixed YouTube embeds on my iPad, thanks crazy grudge bearing goon.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

nrook posted:

For what it’s worth, as I mentioned in the QCS thread, you can always ignore users with the website by clicking the ignore button under their post. It works there, even if you have a mod on your ignore list.

Not anymore, just tried it. Would be great if the app could have its own ignore feature. I may look into working on something like that later this year.

e: Clarification: It's not possible anymore to ignore mods/IKs through the site. It used to be possible.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 16, 2022

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Shnakepup posted:

Another minor request: would it be possible to have a "Last Page" jump feature? Like, when you tap the Page number at the bottom of a thread and you get that little nav pop-up? For me, jumping to the last post in a thread never seemed particularly useful, because usually I prefer to see the last couple posts (or couple dozen) in a thread for context. I rarely use "Last Post" for it's actual, intended use...instead I either tap Last Post then immediately tap the top of the screen to scroll to the top on the page, or I just manually select the last page of the thread.

I'm suggesting "Last Page" because that seems like the easiest thing to implement, but if I'm being honest, I'd rather have something more granular like "Last 25 posts" (for those times when the last page only has like 2 posts so I end up jumping back a page anyway).

spanky the dolphin posted:

That’s always seemed strange to me too. The long press menu on a thread or bookmark has a last page button in case you didn’t know about that, so you could do what you want that way.

It’s odd that there are 2 different but similar commands like that in different places though.

Fair point! I'll add it to the list.

buglord posted:

Hi all. I’ve had this problem for years on the app but never got around to complaining until today, but is there a way to fix double bookmarked threads? The only way to fix is is by deleting one bookmark, but then upon refreshing it will have deleted both. Then I have to find the thread, bookmark it again, and hope it only has one entry on my bookmarks list.

Also it only seems to happen with threads I’ve created.

You are not the only one to be afflicted by this, but I haven't seen it myself and don't have any great theories for what's going on. But I'll +1 it on the list! The bit about threads you've created seems like a good clue.

I've seen some that work so there's something shifty going on here, I'll add it to the list.

DigitalRaven posted:

Just got a heads-up that the Awful app beta that’s on TestFlight has expired.

Anytime this happens, if you see the equivalent version available in the App Store, it should be safe to install it from the App Store. And by "safe" I mean it should keep all your data etc.

If the version is different, I've forgotten to release something :)

Mr. Fix It posted:

the login times out eventually, and, if i recall correctly, stuff like favorite forums gets wiped on logout.

True. "Log out" (manually or automatically) doubles as "wipe data". Someday I wanna make an option to log back in without wiping everything.

bows1 posted:

yes and I can't log back in... whats the deal!

bows1 posted:

for some reason I can't log in on the app any more... I got logged out somehow and can't log back in. The password and ID is the same that I use on my browser but it wont work now. I've deleted and reinstalled it and still nothing. Any ideas?

This I don't have an answer for, especially if it works in browser. There used to be an issue if your password had certain characters in it, but I'm pretty sure that was fixed awhile ago? If your password is all ASCII then it's something else.

shortspecialbus posted:

While I know search would be a whole thing, perhaps "Find on Page" could be implemented?

I sometimes am trying to find a recent page with a matching keyword, and sometimes I just accidentally tapped the top of the screen and need to get back to where I was. I feel this is probably less work to implement than a true search.

In the meantime is there a way to jump back to wherever the hell I was on the page if i do bonk the top on accident? It gets tedious to find where I was on an image-heavy page like the comic strip megathread.

Find on Page is a good idea, I'll +1 that on the list. It's less varied work because we don't need any new info from the server to implement it, but I'm not sure which UI is gonna be more annoying to implement. Someday!

Ditto jump-back-from-scroll-to-top.

Kirios posted:

Is there a way to have the Awful app show the entire last page instead of just the last post when I open a thread? I miss that from the Android version.

If you scroll up a bit, you should see a button at the top to load previous posts on the page. But there's not currently anything automatic. I'll +1 it on the list though, it comes up a fair bit :)

Silly Burrito posted:

Is there a way to have a pasted YouTube link with embedded time work so that the time is saved? I could swear this used to work, but it may have been the Android app.

Not sure but I'll check it out.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Minor bug: I tried to edit my post and lost network connection, I got “Image upload failed” as the error message. Sorry no screenshot because I hammered the post button again after walking closer to my WiFi.

E: I didn’t try to upload an image.

This is a bad error message. In this case it probably meant a timeout, either because of some network issue or because of slow mode. I'll +1 it on the list.

101 posted:

It doesn't seem possible to switch back to the default app icon if you change it to something else

Whoops. I was messing with that recently (well, "recently" if you don't count the months I completely ignore this app and thread) and don't use the default icon myself. I'll take a look!

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s NBD, they keep getting probed for harassing me anyway. Just wanted to bring this to your attention as it was showing me an entirely separate users name so it seems like a bug. Cheers!

I'll +1 it on the list! And there's plans to change the app to work like the website as mentioned here:

nrook posted:

For what it’s worth, as I mentioned in the QCS thread, you can always ignore users with the website by clicking the ignore button under their post. It works there, even if you have a mod on your ignore list.

blastron posted:

I haven't looked at it in ages so we might be doing something especially stupid. But the usual browsing mode is just a web view, and I assume that'll use about the same power as it would browsing the same threads in Safari?

Grace Baiting posted:

Got logged out after using the new TestFlight version of Awful last night, it crashed when I logged in, and then worked okay the second login attempt except that it forgot all my settings besides the app icon (:ghost: 4ever).

Anyway I then (re?)discovered that the forum-specific themes page is unusable when a dark theme is on:

On the plus side, the new smart quote rendering seems fixed! And in the time that I've been using the new version, I also haven't seen the scroll thumbs invisiblize yet :toot:, thanks devs!

Awful does not handle logging out particularly gracefully, sorry. It's on the list! I'll add that settings page to the list too, and glad to hear about the fixes!

Cat Hassler posted:

Post preview when quoting a post shows my former user name. Just replying in a thread will show the current one. Just a weird bug I’ve noticed

Well that's no good. I'll +1 it on the list. I suspect it might right itself eventually? If not, log out + log in (probably with a crash in between, heh) should do it.

Analytic Engine posted:

Ha thanks, I'll test it more. Not itching to make a thread

You should still be able to though. The greyed-out Preview button is on the list already, but I don't have any tips for the moment. I'll +1 it on the list!

RandolphCarter posted:

I am!

Mister Facetious posted:

You can zoom in on the page and that'll start horizontally scrolling. But Awful tries to make everything wrap to the screen by default so it's probably a bug!

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Not anymore, just tried it. Would be great if the app could have its own ignore feature. I may look into working on something like that later this year.

e: Clarification: It's not possible anymore to ignore mods/IKs through the site. It used to be possible.

Not sure how I'd feel about that feature, I'm wary of straying too far from the website posting experience. Don't get me wrong, I see the appeal, and I don't mean to be discouraging. Just a sensitive area for me :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Not for at least 10 years. You can still do it if you had them on ignore before they became mods.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hey you know what would be a great feature? Searchable smileys!

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

pokeyman posted:

Not sure how I'd feel about that feature, I'm wary of straying too far from the website posting experience. Don't get me wrong, I see the appeal, and I don't mean to be discouraging. Just a sensitive area for me :)

An extension to the ignore feature wouldn't change the posting experience at all, since it only affects what posts are visible.

I realize of course that I kramered in here with a feature request that might only interest me and no-one else, so I'm thinking I'll experiment with it and if it goes anywhere, I'll report back.

I just keep having the experience that people on my ignore list become IKs or mods.

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Not for at least 10 years. You can still do it if you had them on ignore before they became mods.

Just to be clear, I don't mean the list on the site through the User Control Panel, I mean through the user's profile page. I'm absolutely positive that within the last year I've been able to ignore a mod using that and now I can't. This was not a person I had on ignore before.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

spankmeister posted:

Hey you know what would be a great feature? Searchable smileys!

seconded.

also thought of a feature when i was going through the pyf comics thread: it would be cool that if you opened up a picture in a thread you could swipe through all the pictures in the post in that view. i.e. long press on a image to open it, then swipe from right to left to see all the other images in the post in the same view.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The “Previous Posts” button is sometimes disabled for me when I enter a thread. Scenario is “wait, what are people talking about,” scroll up, button is disabled, go back a page and come back, scroll down to where I was. Really annoying.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

david_a posted:

The “Previous Posts” button is sometimes disabled for me when I enter a thread. Scenario is “wait, what are people talking about,” scroll up, button is disabled, go back a page and come back, scroll down to where I was. Really annoying.

Previous posts is meant to show you the previous posts on the page you have loaded. It's disable when you already have the top of a page loaded. Are you saying it's not behaving like that or are you misunderstanding it's purpose?

If you go back a page and then go forward there are more posts there than there were before?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I know what he means, sometimes it won’t show posts above the point you enter the thread despite it not being the top of a page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah I have the same issue sometimes