Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Ah, fair enough. I haven't seen that but just wanted to make sure they weren't misunderstanding the feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

For me the bar just sometimes doesn’t appear.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

EL BROMANCE posted:

I know what he means, sometimes it won’t show posts above the point you enter the thread despite it not being the top of a page.

Same. I usually just go back a page when I load a bookmarked thread as a habit because the Previous Posts button is disabled incorrectly so often

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
would it be difficult to implement archives?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Did progress on the redesign stall or is that still coming?

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

101 posted:

Did progress on the redesign stall or is that still coming?

AFAIK Pokeyman and CommieKong are squashing the final bugs before it goes into wider beta, the last update I see was from 11 days ago so it's still going but there's just that last hurdle to go.

I can't wait for it to be released!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

spanky the dolphin posted:

AFAIK Pokeyman and CommieKong are squashing the final bugs before it goes into wider beta, the last update I see was from 11 days ago so it's still going but there's just that last hurdle to go.

I can't wait for it to be released!

Awesome! I'm excited for the fresh coat of paint

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

101 posted:

Awesome! I'm excited for the fresh coat of paint

Dude, it's been about a year now since we started. So many tweaks. I'm proud of the end of thread icon / animation in particular ;)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Will the update make my posts good?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Warbird posted:

there's not an app in the world that can make any of our posts good

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Warbird posted:

Send me a PM, I’ll show you where the good posts powerup is located

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Got some screenshots to preview it?

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

carry on then posted:

Got some screenshots to preview it?

https://i.imgur.com/szcQyeG.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/cv9p00Y.mp4

Here’s a lil post view preview.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that icon is incredible

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The XL avatars will take a bit of time to get used to, but I’m looking forward to loving them.

Yes, that icon owns.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Neat! Looking forward to getting back into the backlog once things are settled.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Does the app have mod tools anywhere? I'd like to never have to go to the website since the app is so good.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
No. the devs need access to a mod account to do it properly

astral
Apr 26, 2004

My understanding is that is why pokeyman was added as a forum IK in project.log, and if someone else needs to be a thread IK in an apps forum thread to see/test buttons that's not a big deal either.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

please tell me we can make avs smaller, those looks ridiculous

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

astral posted:

My understanding is that is why pokeyman was added as a forum IK in project.log, and if someone else needs to be a thread IK in an apps forum thread to see/test buttons that's not a big deal either.

Oh poo poo I forgot about that! Peek and Poke that poo poo homeboy

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Is there an option to keep the old blue color scheme?

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Uhhh let me be clear. If you like your theme, you can keep it!

(These are additional themes)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

please tell me we can make avs smaller, those looks ridiculous

Yeah those giant avs are leaving tons of dead space and I’m worried I only have so many scrolls in either my thumb or my screen before one or the other drops off.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm curious about how quickly I parse the bookmarks without the icons, the hierarchy looks a bit muddled but anything like this deserves a proper testing period so the feedback is valid and not just commentary on needing new muscle memory.

While the theming aspect makes things safer to roll out, you don't want to end up in a scenario where only one theme is getting quality of life upgrades and you need knowledge of this thread to know which themes offer what.

EDIT: Assuming some sort of badge or tagging is used for buy/sell or ask/tell thread marking?

The Dave fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 6, 2022

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

The Dave posted:

I'm curious about how quickly I parse the bookmarks without the icons, the hierarchy looks a bit muddled but anything like this deserves a proper testing period so the feedback is valid and not just commentary on needing new muscle memory.

While the theming aspect makes things safer to roll out, you don't want to end up in a scenario where only one theme is getting quality of life upgrades and you need knowledge of this thread to know which themes offer what.

EDIT: Assuming some sort of badge or tagging is used for buy/sell or ask/tell thread marking?

Spanky is a weirdo who has thread tags disabled. I haven't removed them

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh look at that. Me and the settings page aren't friends.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

It’s interesting to see what people focus on.

The avs have been normal to me now for ages and going back to the the old app theme makes the old scale look very tiny in comparison. Especially compared to the actual website avatar scale.

The vertical space taken up by a taller av is offset by the space saved by combining the post divider line with the post date.

Anyway, looking at the videos I posted earlier and using the app are pretty different experiences I’d imagine. There are so many features and tweaks across the new theme it’ll take some time to get used to it and actually determine if you think something is worse off or if it’s just not what you’re used to.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I eagerly await the dozen pages or so of people bitching about the redesign. Hail satan

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

spanky the dolphin posted:

The vertical space taken up by a taller av is offset by the space saved by combining the post divider line with the post date.

It could save even more vertical space by also not having comically giant avs between every single post though.

I have a giant-rear end phone so it’s not like I’m working with restricted screen real estate, I just prefer a more compact/“dense” experience I guess.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The primary goal is to make the av larger so you can see it easier and have the app experience more closely approximate the actual forum experience.

Most of us have larger phones now but that doesn’t mean we should jam information into every nook and cranny of the extra screen real estate just because we can. This solution gives us a clearer look at the content of the forums at a glance without sacrifice to the overall size of the posts.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's not a proper redesign unless there are dozens of toggles in the settings that allow weirdos to put everything back to the way it is right now.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The Something Awful crowd is a fickle bunch and given the age of most memberships many people have their own bespoke ways of navigating the forums. It's near-impossible to get a valid group consensus, sometimes a vocal minority can push an opinion, but I think one assumption is the main focus is the content of posts and how efficiently you can react / interact with those posts.

Depending on what was popular when you joined the forums, which forums you frequent, all shape your preferences and it's extremely varied. For example I also don't care about seeing avatars in greater detail (which is why we made them so large on the user profile, because it's appropriate there), and say I don't care at all about gang tags. Just personal preference, doesn't mean anything.

I'm also very much against a massive wall of adjustable settings though, so you end up needing to find the goldilocks design solution if that's the balance you're trying to strike.

But again, this is the benefit of testing and testflight. Looking at screenshots or video captures won't give a sense for what feels good or natural, but using it for a few weeks and being able to report back probably gets you closer to what it 'should' be.

( I also really hate that god drat frog but kudos on the quality of the animation. )

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The Dave posted:

The Something Awful crowd is a fickle bunch and given the age of most memberships many people have their own bespoke ways of navigating the forums. It's near-impossible to get a valid group consensus, sometimes a vocal minority can push an opinion, but I think one assumption is the main focus is the content of posts and how efficiently you can react / interact with those posts.

Depending on what was popular when you joined the forums, which forums you frequent, all shape your preferences and it's extremely varied. For example I also don't care about seeing avatars in greater detail (which is why we made them so large on the user profile, because it's appropriate there), and say I don't care at all about gang tags. Just personal preference, doesn't mean anything.

I'm also very much against a massive wall of adjustable settings though, so you end up needing to find the goldilocks design solution if that's the balance you're trying to strike.

But again, this is the benefit of testing and testflight. Looking at screenshots or video captures won't give a sense for what feels good or natural, but using it for a few weeks and being able to report back probably gets you closer to what it 'should' be.

( I also really hate that god drat frog but kudos on the quality of the animation. )

Well put but also :frogout:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The worse part is I still find Fiesta Cat charming.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Why is there no Fiesta Cat option for the app icon? This seems like a serious omission.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Somehow I completely missed fiesta cat. I’m more of a happy cat kinda guy.

There is an extra doggo icon this time fwiw.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is this join text supposed to look like this? Spacing seems a bit tight and the font a bit light.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Recently Awful has started opening YouTube videos in Safari instead of the YT app as I have set in Settings. I tried toggling the setting, all I can get it to do is switch between the Awful browser and Safari. Wracking my brain to think of anything else that might’ve changed. Any ideas?

E: I just tested a long press of a YouTube link and even when I choose Open in YouTube it still switches to Safari. Weird.

Lordshmee fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It’s been that way for a bit now; YouTube broke the embeds again. I’d be interested to see if swapping back to how they were handled when just “brushing against” them would trigger the video to play would fix that.