Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

I don't think it's YouTube. I think it's iOS

Turn your device off and back on again. It will still be broken but should come good a day or so later.

Seriously, that seems to be how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You can try rebooting it and reinstalling the app and burying it in the sand and lighting a ring of candles around it and dancing a jig at midnight each day for 3 days, and on the third night it will go back to normal.

Or just wait three days. Either way

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

smackfu posted:

Is this join text supposed to look like this? Spacing seems a bit tight and the font a bit light.

I really have to squint to tell 2006 from 2008 in joined text.

Also, I’m here to complain about the swipe-to-dismiss behaviour of the post compose window. It’s very unforgiving if you’re trying to scroll to the top of a large quote to edit it. I kept over-scrolling a bit and having it dismiss on me.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

commie kong posted:

I don't think it's YouTube. I think it's iOS

Turn your device off and back on again. It will still be broken but should come good a day or so later.

Seriously, that seems to be how it goes.

I loving hate this about the iphone. It loving sucks.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hi folks.

Is there a way to see my Sent PMs on the iOS app? Can’t seem to figure out how if so, going to PMs just shows me the messages I’ve received, but can’t figure out how to see my sent messages

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

In the midst of a :justpost: fugue state, I first tapped on the "quote this post" button, then forgot what I was doing and also tapped the pencil button before the initial reply sheet could slide on-screen. Rather than just bringing up a reply sheet w/ the quoted post a single time, the app crashed -- I can only presume the reply sheet tried to exist twice at once and collapsed in on itself.  :nsamad:

Pretty sure I've seen this before, prior to joining the TestFlight beta, so I believe this is not new crashing behavior.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Hi folks.

Is there a way to see my Sent PMs on the iOS app? Can’t seem to figure out how if so, going to PMs just shows me the messages I’ve received, but can’t figure out how to see my sent messages

Bust Rodd.
No

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Passing thought for a feature: Could it be made so a post with multiple picture embeds is treated as an album of sorts so that you can swipe from one to the next while they’re selected/blown up?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Warbird posted:

Passing thought for a feature: Could it be made so a post with multiple picture embeds is treated as an album of sorts so that you can swipe from one to the next while they’re selected/blown up?

This would be cool. Also, can Tumblr embeds show up as videos instead of links?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stare-Out posted:

This would be cool. Also, can Tumblr embeds show up as videos instead of links?

This is a 2-line change that I don’t have a Mac to build on. Maybe I’ll yolo a PR based on GitHub’s editor and CI.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
Extremely minor thing that bothers me: when you long-press on an image on a phone, the image takes up the whole screen and everything else blacks out completely (so you only see the image). But on the iPad version of the app, when you long-press on an image, it doesn’t take up the whole screen. It makes it bigger, sure, but you can still see the rest of the thread in the background. I wish the iPad version would do the same thing as the iPhone version and full-screen the image + black out the rest of the screen.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Warbird posted:

quoting myself cuz i want our feature requests counted as the same thing

Mr. Fix It posted:

seconded.

also thought of a feature when i was going through the pyf comics thread: it would be cool that if you opened up a picture in a thread you could swipe through all the pictures in the post in that view. i.e. long press on a image to open it, then swipe from right to left to see all the other images in the post in the same view.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Huh, well there ya go. Great minds and so on and so forth.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

spanky the dolphin posted:

The primary goal is to make the av larger so you can see it easier and have the app experience more closely approximate the actual forum experience.

But like… why? I can see the avatars fine at the smallest scale and if I want to see them bigger I can just go to the user’s profile. I don’t need to see massive avatars scrolling through a thread, especially when it’s the same few users posting.
They look ridiculously big in the stuff you posted.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I don’t really know what you want me to say when what you quoted explains why. The desktop ones are about 4x the size of what I’m seeing on this theme. Are they too big for you?

In my opinion the old awful themes have had small avatars and I’d rather not go the extra step of tapping on one to see it larger. At this scale I find it easier to figure out who is posting because they’re clearer to see. It feels good to me.

If you use it, hate it, and can’t deal with it then you can still use the old theme. And if there’s huge goon outcry I’m positive someone would love to code in a toggle to go back to the way things were!

Don’t knock it til you try it!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I’m appreciative of everyone’s work and I’ll wait to try the redesign on my phone, but my initial gut reaction is putting me firmly in the “the avs look way too large” camp.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Referee posted:

I’m appreciative of everyone’s work and I’ll wait to try the redesign on my phone, but my initial gut reaction is putting me firmly in the “the avs look way too large” camp.

Gotta say the same.

They look perfectly fine on the phone and iPad for me.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I will chime in with the super useful "it depends on the avatar," some things on the current size look strange as a thumbnail and I end up pressing on them to look at them larger. Those avatars will probably parse better at the higher size, I am excited to try it!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Is there any way to hand off Twitter links to Tweetbot or the Twitter app and Reddit links to Apollo or the Reddit app?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Silly Burrito posted:

Is there any way to hand off Twitter links to Tweetbot or the Twitter app and Reddit links to Apollo or the Reddit app?

No options for it built into Awful but Opener adds this functionality to any app through the share sheet

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Yeah, it’s the only way to ungoober “Open in YouTube” right now. Good app.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

101 posted:

No options for it built into Awful but Opener adds this functionality to any app through the share sheet

Did not know this existed, but cool. Bought and thank you!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I realize that it probably doesn’t display in this screenshot but the post time and join date are practically unreadable when using the oled dark theme and using a really low brightness. They could stand to be kicked up a few notches IMO

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I realize that it probably doesn’t display in this screenshot but the post time and join date are practically unreadable when using the oled dark theme and using a really low brightness. They could stand to be kicked up a few notches IMO

It’s pretty bad in all the light themes as well. My eyes are good enough that I can still read it, but I can certainly imagine it being a problem for some people.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

imo it’s not super important to day to day browsing so having it fade sort of into the background (but still visible) makes sense. That said I could see how it could be a problem from an accessibility angle though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

App seems to be showing a user’s older username here for some reason:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think that's a forums thing, not an app thing. I've seen old usernames on threads when they were made before the OP got a namechange on desktop too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ablative posted:

I think that's a forums thing, not an app thing. I've seen old usernames on threads when they were made before the OP got a namechange on desktop too.

Interesting! I just checked that particular thread and it's showing the correct name on desktop.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

The font there seems to be both extremely thin and a bit too dark. IMO they should be brightened up a bit as a first step.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Warbird posted:

imo it’s not super important to day to day browsing so having it fade sort of into the background (but still visible) makes sense. That said I could see how it could be a problem from an accessibility angle though.

I agree with this.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Ablative posted:

I was gonna say the same thing but nope, that thread was made after the name change and shows the right thing on the forums. Does the app cache userid -> username mappings and then only use them when listing threads? Something like that?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
On the latest beta, the haptics really don't feel right when selecting text. Like a little machine gun going off

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I was gonna say the same thing but nope, that thread was made after the name change and shows the right thing on the forums. Does the app cache userid -> username mappings and then only use them when listing threads? Something like that?

I think so, yeah. I’ve seen that happen with something else before, maybe PMs?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

My app icon got reset to the default when I installed the new beta.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Diabolik900 posted:

My app icon got reset to the default when I installed the new beta.

Same, and also can’t open context menus anymore. Sent feedback.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

astral posted:

The font there seems to be both extremely thin and a bit too dark. IMO they should be brightened up a bit as a first step.

The Dim Grayscale Virus has infected developers' minds for years now, it's everywhere now on the web and in operating systems. Seems to be getting more prevalent.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Actually the opposite is true. Accessibility standards are enforced on more and more platforms and is baked into many open source design systems, partially driven by lawsuits.

I'm not sure the it was intended for the font to be that light there, since that weight is usually reserved for display or headline text.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I was going to say Helvetica UltraMegaSuperLight is a look that captures the “2014” zeitgeist, which I thought was perfect for a dead gay forum such as this

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I saw this exact same thing as I went into the thread and had to go back out to check I wasn’t just crazy, but that made it switch to the killed by message and I concluded that I was in fact crazy since their name was correct in the OP.

Nice to know that I’m not!

Edit: FWIW I just went scrolling for another thread created by that user and their current name shows correctly, so who knows

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Maybe related? I’ve posted about this before but my old username sometimes appears in the Post Preview screen when posting. Edit: it just did it posting this post

Preview:

Posted: