Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I was gonna say the same thing but nope, that thread was made after the name change and shows the right thing on the forums. Does the app cache userid -> username mappings and then only use them when listing threads? Something like that?

There's some kind of caching, I've reported it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Data Graham posted:

Yeah I was going to say Helvetica UltraMegaSuperLight is a look that captures the “2014” zeitgeist, which I thought was perfect for a dead gay forum such as this
This feels like one of those unhappy mediums - I wholeheartedly respect the orthodoxy of keeping things firmly in 2002, but as they say, 2014 sucked. We have icq in our profiles, not tumblr.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

We have icq in our profiles, not tumblr.

Why not? Sounds like fun. :haw:

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

App seems to be showing a user’s older username here for some reason:

This feels like one of those unhappy mediums - I wholeheartedly respect the orthodoxy of keeping things firmly in 2002, but as they say, 2014 sucked. We have icq in our profiles, not tumblr.

At the risk of opening up to more av size chat, the upcoming theme addresses the weird typography throughout the app:

There is now the same style for secondary text - regdate, killed by, edited by (italicised), post date. It's dim enough not to distract, thick enough to remain legible. I think it's actually more compact to boot.

There's also a lot of strange things like the non existent padding next to the av and the extremely bold and too large quote titles etc that have been fixed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm pretty down with that look ^^.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Self fulfilling prophesy

Please keep an option for current sized avatars

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
rather than increasing the av image size, id rather see additional av elements like text and gang tags

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

spanky the dolphin posted:

At the risk of opening up to more av size chat, the upcoming theme addresses the weird typography throughout the app:

There is now the same style for secondary text - regdate, killed by, edited by (italicised), post date. It's dim enough not to distract, thick enough to remain legible. I think it's actually more compact to boot.

There's also a lot of strange things like the non existent padding next to the av and the extremely bold and too large quote titles etc that have been fixed.

Sounds and looks good. There a timeline on it going onto TestFlight?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Screenshots of the app while using the app will never fail to gently caress with my head.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

`Nemesis posted:

rather than increasing the av image size, id rather see additional av elements like text and gang tags

This would be a much better use of the space than a big chunk of nothing imo, although since they aren’t a uniform size I can’t think of a sensible way of doing it while keeping everything aligned neatly.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

History Comes Inside! posted:

This would be a much better use of the space than a big chunk of nothing imo, although since they aren’t a uniform size I can’t think of a sensible way of doing it while keeping everything aligned neatly.

We've got an interesting wide mode for ipad built in that displays gang tags and custom titles on the left and the posts to the right. Basically a cleaned up desktop mode. Gang tags and customs are nice for forum accuracy, but they're also super cluttered, super variable in size and look and would likely look crazy messy on a phone. Far worse than a chunk of nothing that your eye skims over automatically.

101 posted:

Sounds and looks good. There a timeline on it going onto TestFlight?

Commie Kong can best answer this, he's merging it into the beta build but I have no idea how long that side takes.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Now that the app has regular iOS context menus, I think there’s space here to give this “Seen” button a more descriptive label. Something like “Mark as last read”.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Diabolik900 posted:

Now that the app has regular iOS context menus, I think there’s space here to give this “Seen” button a more descriptive label. Something like “Mark as last read”.

Just made my first PR to Awful with this and a small fix for a missing string I noticed.

Hopefully I did it right :raise:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

The Dave posted:

Screenshots of the app while using the app will never fail to gently caress with my head.
:yossame:

101 posted:

Just made my first PR to Awful with this and a small fix for a missing string I noticed.

Hopefully I did it right :raise:
Was it "posts-page.marked-seen"?? Coz I was gonna note that here if not

Diabolik900 posted:

Co-sign here -- and also would it be possible (with whatever parameters these standards widgets give you) for this menu to list the poster's name as a title? The older version of the app w/ the custom single-post menu included the poster's name, and I've found it handy in the past!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Grace Baiting posted:

Was it "posts-page.marked-seen"?? Coz I was gonna note that here if not

It was, yeah.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Grace Baiting posted:

Co-sign here -- and also would it be possible (with whatever parameters these standards widgets give you) for this menu to list the poster's name as a title? The older version of the app w/ the custom single-post menu included the poster's name, and I've found it handy in the past!

Related to this: if you go into some poster's Their Posts subthread, the individual post dotdotdot menus are missing the "show in thread" option:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Grace Baiting posted:

Related to this: if you go into some poster's Their Posts subthread, the individual post dotdotdot menus are missing the "show in thread" option:

That’s there when you tap on the avatar

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

101 posted:

That’s there when you tap on the avatar
??? This is what I see for the user menu, which also doesn't have a "reveal this post in full thread" item:

Also because I just mistapped and definitely 100% intentionally ignored you, the old interface's "Unignore user" user menu item erroneously remains titled "Ignore user", even though they've already been ignore:
It still works to unignore the user! The "Unignore" menu item is just named wrong.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Grace Baiting posted:

??? This is what I see for the user menu, which also doesn't have a "reveal this post in full thread" item:

Weird. I get 'Their posts' below 'Profile'

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

101 posted:

Weird. I get 'Their posts' below 'Profile'

Ah you missed that I am already in the "Their Posts" subthread:

Grace Baiting posted:

When you are in such a subthread/view/whatever, the dotdotdot menu on some individual post should have the "reveal this post back in the full thread" item, but it's missing in the new interface currently on Testflight ("Version 6.2 (60201)").

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Grace Baiting posted:

When you are in such a subthread/view/whatever, the dotdotdot menu on some individual post should have the "reveal this post back in the full thread" item, but it's missing in the new interface currently on Testflight ("Version 6.2 (60201)").

drat, nice find and thanks for reporting it during beta! I have pushed a fix for this to main, so it should show up in the next build.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have the dog icon selected, and when I swipe up to dismiss Awful I see the voted-5 yellow on blue one for a half second before it switches to the dog. This wasn’t happening in the store version.

Also, when I tap the icon I see it flash to that yellow/blue one for a moment while the app window is zooming into place.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 6, 2022

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hah I just noticed your old username can get cached in the post preview window. Now I can't reproduce it though 🤔

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Is it possible to change the color themes for text? The light gray on black, bright teal on white, yellow on white, etc., is hard to read.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 17, 2022

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Could you add a search box to the top of the bookmarks pane that is just functionally a cmd-f?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh that would be real nice. +1ing that

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

spanky the dolphin posted:

We've got an interesting wide mode for ipad built in that displays gang tags and custom titles on the left and the posts to the right. Basically a cleaned up desktop mode.

I lust for this. It’s the only aspect of the website that I really miss.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When I preview a post I see my gang tag and custom title, and it’s much bigger than in normal thread view.

E: just updated to today’s beta

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Subjunctive posted:

When I preview a post I see my gang tag and custom title, and it’s much bigger than in normal thread view.

E: just updated to today’s beta

Thanks! I've pushed a fix for this to main. Should be in the next build

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I’m sure I’m real dumb but how do I post pictures using the awful app?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Xeras posted:

I’m sure I’m real dumb but how do I post pictures using the awful app?

Tap the text screen like you are going to paste text -> [img] -> choose “From camera” or “From library”

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

FlapYoJacks posted:

Tap the text screen like you are going to paste text -> [img] -> choose “From camera” or “From library”

Oh that’s super easy thanks

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

What happened to long-pressing a link? Usually I'd get a pop-up with the full URL and some options but now it does nothing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

commie kong posted:

Thanks! I've pushed a fix for this to main. Should be in the next build

Will it also fix the main post display looking like that on the iPad in landscape mode? I noticed that last night and had to switch back to my phone to actually read forums.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So is there any rough estimation when we might see the redesign pushed to the main app actual?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Reiterating this, while the new interface is being actively worked on:

Grace Baiting posted:

would it be possible (with whatever parameters these standards widgets give you) for this menu to list the poster's name as a title? The older version of the app w/ the custom single-post menu included the poster's name, and I've found it handy in the past!

It would be especially handy for the new interface's dotdotdot menu to be restored to having the poster's name as a title, especially for longer posts where their username is scrolled far off screen when you reach the end of them. Crude mock-up of what I'm hoping for:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Grace Baiting posted:

Reiterating this, while the new interface is being actively worked on:

It would be especially handy for the new interface's dotdotdot menu to be restored to having the poster's name as a title, especially for longer posts where their username is scrolled far off screen when you reach the end of them. Crude mock-up of what I'm hoping for:

I started looking into this but want to wait until all the new design stuff is merged

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I’m seeing avatars in posts on iPad but not iPhone.

Also in the preview window.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
In iPhone I get avatars in the preview window but not in threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

withak posted:

I’m seeing avatars in posts on iPad but not iPhone.

Also in the preview window.

Working as designed, it's a very good avatar :v: