Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ijyt posted:

Critical: toggle to show plat grenades as twitter verified ticks instead

Nice app you've got here. It'd be a shame if something...happened to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

astral posted:

Nice app you've got here. It'd be a shame if something...happened to it.

:f5h::derp::pipe:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Feature request? Any way to enable mod buttons?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think the issue with mod buttons is that none of the third party developers are mods nor do they have access to the mod resources. I could be wrong though.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pokeyman was given some form of IK in project.log but hadn't been able to implement them. Honestly has anyone heard from him in awhile? He's not usually silent this long...

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah with the beta expiring I'm a little worried for him. Or he made the best health advice and abandoned his account.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Wish the best for him, but does the project/repo have a backup maintainer that can take over if he’s bounced?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

The Dave posted:

Or he made the best health advice and abandoned his account.

If you look at his account he still posts pretty regularly. Just hasn't checked in here for a while

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I don’t know what the site’s financials look like, nor do I particularly want to, but I wonder if it would be viable to have the mobile apps “nationalized” and brought into the SA org proper as a means to compensate those spending time on the continued development of the project. Heck I’d be down to toss a few bucks in as a tip or whatever for the unfortunate percentage of my life I’ve spent in it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think the issue with mod buttons is that none of the third party developers are mods nor do they have access to the mod resources. I could be wrong though.

oh this makes sense, thank you

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Warbird posted:

unfortunate percentage of my life I’ve spent in it.

I’m so glad it doesn’t track lifetime posts read or time spent in app. I don’t need to confront that.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think pokeyman is an IK somewhere which gives him mod buttons.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I’m so glad it doesn’t track lifetime posts read or time spent in app. I don’t need to confront that.

Feature request, after 15 minutes of being on the app it should flash a giant message “GO OUTSIDE YOU NERD”

Non-togglable

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Buddy, the phone’s OS is already doing it for you. Gaze upon your works and despair.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I had to delete Awful.app on my phone cos I was spending so much time posting, not even joking. It's such a good app.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Hey everyone, I reached out to CommieKong about opening up this build that we spent a bunch of time on to more people for testing as it's currently on hold for various IRL reasons.

His response:

quote:

If you mean the code for the app, that has always been open and available on github. Anyone checking the branches can find it. Here's a direct link:
:puckout:
SpankyKong Build
:puckout:
Now, this is the build we use and it's what I submitted to pokeyman. He didn't completely love it lol. So that spankykong branch is a bit different to the main branch (aka what people are currently using), but anyone can play with it if they want to.

In theory, pokeyman is porting the remaining changes into main, but I haven't heard from him since august. I haven't messaged him in a while, either. I've seen him posting tho so I know he's ok. I'll harass him this week probs

So please, give it a go. Check out the new SpankyKong Light & Dark themes.
I've been using them for the better part of a year and they address heaps of the UI issues that have been talked about in this thread.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

quote:

He didn't completely love it lol

The code or the design?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I had to delete Awful.app on my phone cos I was spending so much time posting, not even joking. It's such a good app.
good :hehe:

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

101 posted:

The code or the design?

The last feedback I saw (from 11 months ago, yeesh) was mostly positive. A few things he flagged have since been changed / fixed. Seemed to be on board for the most part..

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

101 posted:

The code or the design?

Wasn't expecting that to get posted haha

Definitely my implementation and only for some things. He did say I could merge it in myself if he took too long, so can't be that bad. I'm sure he just knows of better ways

As always, I humbly request other devs to please don't let this stuff block you. This experimental branch doesn't resolve the 999 open issues.

... but a full SwiftUI uplift might :getin:

If anyone is interested in working together on that, please let me know. I have some ideas and past attempts. (Trying to get Core Data and SwiftUI working together has been annoying, I must admit)

I will say, on the mod buttons thing: Would be good to implement, but it only affects a handful of people. There are lots of higher priorities imo.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

commie kong posted:

I think about it a lot, but I don't think I have the free time to commit to starting/leading something like that.

I would certainly contribute to an uplift/ground up rewrite, though. If someone else can spearhead it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

commie kong posted:

I will say, on the mod buttons thing: Would be good to implement, but it only affects a handful of people. There are lots of higher priorities imo.

:hai:

Thank you!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I mean like it’s not exactly that black and white. For starters there’s a bit of “what you want to spend your time on” with the open source side of the project, like spending 11 months on a new theme in private instead of trying to improve the main experiences/themes incrementally.

You could argue having mods able to use the app is good because it gets more buy in at the higher level of the site. Otherwise you create a need for them to have it through other avenues and would that hurt the health of this app, who knows.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fwiw it just means i don’t end up pushing mod buttons during the majority of my forums time

I’ve done it this way for years but i just realized i could, in fact, submit a feature request

That’s all! If someone can pick it up, great! If not, oh well!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

commie kong posted:

Wasn't expecting that to get posted haha

Definitely my implementation and only for some things. He did say I could merge it in myself if he took too long, so can't be that bad. I'm sure he just knows of better ways

As always, I humbly request other devs to please don't let this stuff block you. This experimental branch doesn't resolve the 999 open issues.

If anyone is interested in working together on that, please let me know. I have some ideas and past attempts. (Trying to get Core Data and SwiftUI working together has been annoying, I must admit)

Sorry, but I don't think I'm going to be able to contribute to the app anymore. I know I didn't do much, but each bug I attempt to fix requires a lot of time investment on my part to learn how things work because I have no background in iOS development libraries, and I don't really feel it's worth it anymore if the entire codebase could change one day overnight due to a clandestine project to rewrite everything.

Looking forward to seeing what you all can come up with!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

carry on then posted:

I don't really feel it's worth it anymore if the entire codebase could change one day overnight due to a clandestine project to rewrite everything.

A clandestine project to rewrite everything sounds like a lot of effort, so I doubt it's happening.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Looks like the beta expired

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
And we’re back!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Beta just got a new build.

Vulture
Aug 7, 2012

Yo yo. I graduated in 2013, okay. Sterling Park, VA.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vulture posted:

Noted.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Vulture posted:

Someone please update the app accordingly.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Vulture posted:

Lol 2013 was drat near a decade ago lmao

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vulture posted:

That explains some things.

ardiem
Apr 26, 2022

Is anyone else having an issue that’s cropped up recently where Awful app is overzealous about refreshing the page (and resetting the scroll position to the top) whenever you foreground the app? This is happening even if I switch to a different app for a very short amount of time (like less than 30 seconds).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yep!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

ardiem posted:

Is anyone else having an issue that’s cropped up recently where Awful app is overzealous about refreshing the page (and resetting the scroll position to the top) whenever you foreground the app? This is happening even if I switch to a different app for a very short amount of time (like less than 30 seconds).

Yeah  :same:  here
(Mb not quite as bad as you're experiencing, but definitely a lot worse than it used to be on this phone)

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

carry on then posted:

Sorry, but I don't think I'm going to be able to contribute to the app anymore. I know I didn't do much, but each bug I attempt to fix requires a lot of time investment on my part to learn how things work because I have no background in iOS development libraries, and I don't really feel it's worth it anymore if the entire codebase could change one day overnight due to a clandestine project to rewrite everything.

Looking forward to seeing what you all can come up with!

You own, thanks for maintaining it for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

tehinternet posted:

You own, thanks for maintaining it for so long.

Oh, I'm not pokeyman, the real (and still) lead maintainer. I just contributed some bug fixes and small features here and there. :)