Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

I would just like to clarify that I too love the frog, thankx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is it possible to choose the color of the frog?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Grace Baiting posted:

I would just like to clarify that I too love the frog, thankx

IMPORTANT UPDATE, i have now seen the ghost finally and i love the ghost too

Secondarily, section titles and item descriptions on the Settings tab are back to being unreadable with any dark-background Theme active:

I recall complaining about this before and it got fixed then before it got broken again with the last couple betas, so hopefully that fix is easy enough to find + apply to this branch.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The ghost is cool and good and is my friend. Please post the frog so we may all bask in its slightly moist glory.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

withak posted:

Is it really even possible for the frog & ghost code to run too frequently?

blooper reel time

withak posted:

Is it possible to choose the color of the frog?

The frog is currently coloured by theme and I'm not gonna say I picked the perfect colour for each theme. Some themes will just be inheriting the default colour.

So let me know if there's a frog or a ghost that needs recolouring. You can gimme a css hex or other acceptable value OR you can refer to another element and say "make it the same colour as x".

Edit: Please name the theme also!! There are so many

If you mean bespoke frog colours for individual users... Maybe one day

Grace Baiting posted:

IMPORTANT UPDATE, i have now seen the ghost finally and i love the ghost too

Bah, that should be amber! I added the wrong ghost lottie file. Here's how it should look (gotta sort the right-hand padding also. yeesh)

quote:

Secondarily, section titles and item descriptions on the Settings tab are back to being unreadable with any dark-background Theme active:

I recall complaining about this before and it got fixed then before it got broken again with the last couple betas, so hopefully that fix is easy enough to find + apply to this branch.

Hmm I'm not sure that did get fixed? I mentioned to pokeyman while working on the PRs that I have no idea what's going on there and it's why I recreated that page in SwiftUI. (Also to fix the app icon picker that currently doesn't allow you to select the first option ever again if changed.)

I think there's something to do with your phone's dark/light mode setting interfering with the text colour. Because it's not respecting the theme.
That SwiftUI page is currently in its own branch waiting on a cleanup and perhaps a min ios target bump to 14.

Thanks for the feedback :)

commie kong fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 16, 2022

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Force pressing on the frog makes my phone vibrate in a fun way. I try to pretend it’s ribbeting.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

commie kong posted:

blooper reel time

HOW COULD YOU KEEP LARGE FROG FROM US

THE PEOPLE DEMAND ANSWERS

e: THE PEOPLE ALSO DEMAND LARGE FROG

commie kong posted:

[illegible settings meta-text in dark mode backgrounds]

Hmm I'm not sure that did get fixed? I mentioned to pokeyman while working on the PRs that I have no idea what's going on there and it's why I recreated that page in SwiftUI. (Also to fix the app icon picker that currently doesn't allow you to select the first option ever again if changed.)

I think there's something to do with your phone's dark/light mode setting interfering with the text colour. Because it's not respecting the theme.
That SwiftUI page is currently in its own branch waiting on a cleanup and perhaps a min ios target bump to 14.

Good point, I'm not actually sure it did get fixed -- I have system Dark Mode set to Automatic, but my Awful app permanently on a dark theme, and the actual behavior appears to be that the Settings screen meta text items are set to contrast against the current system day-vs-night mode, i.e. dark text during the day, bright text during the night. Thus I get invizo text during the day in the Settings screen, but it appears fine at night.

Hopefully this is easy and simple to fix!

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I've been in the test flight beta version now for about a week, and while it looks nice, it feels pretty dodgy

I feel like any embedded tweets or videos really bog down my phone (XR). The schadenfreude thread is hitching a lot as I scroll down the page. Like when I come upon a post with a tweet in it or some other embed, the whole app hiccups and stops scrolling for a bit. It just feels like all sorts of embeds really bog this version down?

Also I will click a link in the thread and when I'm done, my page position will have reset to the top again. Almost like I went out of the app and came back, but this is the first time seeing it happen just from viewing something in the Awful browser.

The old version definitely got slow on pages with a lot of embeds, but this build seems to struggle even if there's only a few embeds on the page.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do you have the most recent update? That improved things for me, I think. (Or maybe just different content mix I’m looking at today, I guess.)

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Yeah pretty sure it just updated today. Version 60209

https://youtube.com/shorts/CZOHYqPg0DU

Here's a recording I took just trying to scroll down page 147 of the schadenfreude thread just now. I'm about to reboot my phone just to see if it helps any, never seen it struggle like this.

Edit: okay post reboot it's working fine so far with embeds. Guess my phone just had some memory leakage or something, dang.

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 19, 2022

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I also had intermittent jerky-jerky scrolling this morning but I rebooted and it seems fine now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah I think it’s getting worse over time between app restarts? sometimes entering text or scrolling the bookmarks list gets janky too, and then loading spinner animates at about 0.5 Hz too.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Memory leak mayhaps?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
inline [img] picture uploads sometimes fail with ImgurException code 1003, you can't post (some) photos

edit: NM, working again

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 20, 2022

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

YouTube Shorts aren't embedding, according to Astral it's an app problem and the forums handles them fine? Posts from the tech support thread:

Tenkaris posted:

On the subject of YouTube link parsing:

I just posted this video yesterday in the awful app thread and noticed that YouTube's vertical "Shorts" videos do not embed, so i just slapped URL tags on it. I didn't deliberately upload my video as a short, I assume it's just automatic since it was a recording from a phone in portrait mode and I guess that's just what they call videos in that orientation.

Just thought I'd bring it to your attention here while on the topic, YouTube Shorts only launched in August 2021 so it's a relatively new thing for the service, and the added /shorts/ in the URL is triggering the blacklist. Hopefully an easy addition! 🤞🏻

astral posted:

Complain to the app thread; this is supported on the actual forums.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Analytic Engine posted:

inline [timg] picture uploads sometimes fail with ImgurException code 1003, you can't post (some) photos

[img]https://i.imgur.com/eMUkhfa.png[/timg]

edit: NM, working again

Screen shots will always upload but a photo won't because its not .jpg format its HEIC or whatever.

There used to be a good shortcut to get around that but I think its been broken for a bit.

I'll just take a screenshot of the photo I want to upload :shrug:

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

:siren: If you are using the beta build and experiencing performance issues, go to Settings and disable frog and ghost. If there is a dead tweet, the javascript ghost lottie player executes and runs constantly, even while the animations are offscreen.

The top image is a performance recording of my loading page 814 of the PYF Tweets thread with ghost and frog enabled. Bottom image is loading the same page with ghost and frog disabled.

The page finished loading around 9 seconds, but the Javascript and layout and rendering streams just keep going. I didn't even touch the screen during the ghosts on run. In the ghosts off run I did some scrolling and things remained steady.

So the animation is constantly playing offscreen and the CPU overhead is dramatic. I think the best way forward is to remove the ghost for the next build and park that idea until there's a better way to handle it. The frog can stay as that's not presented in the webview using the javascript player. Frog uses a Swift player and is displayed in UIKit.

Removing the ghost will sort the issues it introduced, but there were also performance issues being reported prior and it would be good to address those if possible. In both of the screenshots I selected the CPU spike around 14s on the timeline. If you now look at 4-8 seconds in both images you'll see much larger super mario hill of CPU spikes. That's all of the twitter embeds firing onload. Here's a good read on that: https://swizec.com/blog/twitter-embeds-without-javascript-pt1-codewithswiz-29/

quote:

Slow and looks bad. Each of those tweets, an iframe, runs 20+ requests, transfers over 1.5MB of data, and runs who knows how many ad trackers

I also saw Youtube embeds being quite heavy. We already knew embeds were dogshit, but now I can measure stuff and experiment with some mitigations/alternatives.
https://github.com/simonw/datasette.io/issues/93
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=25674257

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I wonder what kind of performance you’d get with the ghost if you use something like an animated png (which would probably be a pain to theme) or an svg + css animation. It would probably be better than a constantly running JavaScript thing, but would it be good enough? I like the ghost and would very much like to see it stick around in some form. Even a static ghost would be better than nothing.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

The ghost is my favourite one. If I find an alternative that performs well, I'll slam that into main immediately. I just don't know how long it's going to take.

I could try a gif and a css mask. That's what the quote icon is now.

But I do want to push something that removes or at least disables it, since I bet there are people using the beta and not reading this thread.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

MarcusSA posted:

Screen shots will always upload but a photo won't because its not .jpg format its HEIC or whatever.

There used to be a good shortcut to get around that but I think its been broken for a bit.

I'll just take a screenshot of the photo I want to upload :shrug:

This has happened to me more than once. You can tell it will fail if you pull up the preview and the image isn’t there.

Rather than take a screenshot, select the photo you want to upload for a post normally, long press the image and copy it. Delete the image and then paste the clipboard version. iOS puts a jpeg version on the clipboard.

Here’s an example of a pic that wouldn’t upload originally but works after copying and pasting.

I wonder if there is an iOS option to tell it to convert HEIC to jpeg in app.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

commie kong posted:

disable frog and ghost

:mods:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the ghost... is toast

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It seems like there’s just performance issues all around with the latest beta. I thought it was just posts that have images, but then I came here to post and the compose window is lagging bad.

I disabled the dumb frog almost immediately so it’s not that.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

The Dave posted:

It seems like there’s just performance issues all around with the latest beta. I thought it was just posts that have images, but then I came here to post and the compose window is lagging bad.
I've been observing similar even with the frog-n-ghost regretfully deactivated. Zooming in and then scrolling around an embedded tweet w/ image seems to chug real hard most of the time until I've slowly scrolled around most of it.

quote:

I disabled the dumb frog almost immediately so it’s not that.
mods ban this sick filth

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Am I the only one who has stopped getting tweets embedded in posts? It stopped working in the middle of the day yesterday when I thought a bunch of Twitter links had been deleted, but just suddenly required me to click through. Did I uncheck a setting somewhere? I seem to remember that tweet embedding is handled mostly on Twitters’ side but since I haven’t seen anyone else mention it I feel like my issue is isolated to me.

E: nm, there is a setting

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FWIW, I wanted to make sure that I wasn’t just seeing some general performance problem with my phone so I rolled back to “6.2 (60207)” and it’s like night and day. Awful is consistently responsive, and my browser doesn’t lag as much when I switch to it from Awful. I dunno what’s in 6020{8, 9} and probably wouldn’t understand even if I looked at the commits, but some seriously bad juju snuck in there somehow.

(I, sadly, already had frog and ghost disabled in 60209.)

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Subjunctive posted:

FWIW, I wanted to make sure that I wasn’t just seeing some general performance problem with my phone so I rolled back to “6.2 (60207)” and it’s like night and day. Awful is consistently responsive, and my browser doesn’t lag as much when I switch to it from Awful. I dunno what’s in 6020{8, 9} and probably wouldn’t understand even if I looked at the commits, but some seriously bad juju snuck in there somehow.

(I, sadly, already had frog and ghost disabled in 60209.)

I'm now thinking the Swift Lottie player was actually causing perf issues: https://medium.com/airbnb-engineering/announcing-lottie-4-0-for-ios-d4d226862a54

That would make sense, since the :v: throbber and niggly are also both Lotties that remain active with frog disabled. Disabling the ghost made sense when it seemed that only the posts webview was being affected.

Anyway, I've been trying to address this and also general performance issues. Since the recent reports, I've made a few commits to Main that I'm hoping will resolve things when it reaches the beta. One change is using Lottie v4.

Another is disabling playback of the ghost lottie until I've finished another perf-related change I'm currently working on: incremental tweet embedding and lottie playback limited to visible lotties only. Having the ghost present and paused seems to be OK.

If it's any consolation, I've also made a change to some old code that should greatly improve load times for threads with thousands of pages. The "scrapePageDropDown" function was flagging as long-running in Instruments, so I was able to change a bit of parsing and get its duration from seconds to milliseconds.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

:eyepop:

man, I love performance work

Bill Brasky
Apr 13, 2008

Suggestion for the app.

Browsing lepers colony would it be possible to see the thread name or sub forum name that the bad post was posted in?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think that would be a lot more “API” requests, so people would need to be careful to get Astral’s OK before doing it. Seems like reasonable metadata to add to the colony page itself, though!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Subjunctive posted:

I think that would be a lot more “API” requests, so people would need to be careful to get Astral’s OK before doing it. Seems like reasonable metadata to add to the colony page itself, though!

Seconded. Would def make sense to be added on the LC end so it could be grabbed in the same call.

Add it to the list for the forums :lmao:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i just turned on the use url on clipboard option after a long time of having it off and now ios is asking if i want to allow the app to paste whatever from whatever other app every time i switch to it. isn't there a way for me to tell ios to not ask every time

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

datajosh posted:

There's a setting for it now, I think it was added in 16.1. If you go to Settings > [app] > Allow Paste From Other Apps you can set it to Allow instead of Ask.

Edit: okay I found this post but don't see that under Awful app's options so I'm looking for it elsewhere now :confused:

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 9, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

b_d posted:

i just turned on the use url on clipboard option after a long time of having it off and now ios is asking if i want to allow the app to paste whatever from whatever other app every time i switch to it. isn't there a way for me to tell ios to not ask every time

Tenkaris posted:

Edit: okay I found this post but don't see that under Awful app's options so I'm looking for it elsewhere now :confused:

Open up your settings app on your iphone and scroll down to the app specific settings section. Pick awful, and turn on paste to "allow" from "ask." It is in system settings not inside the app.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

What's funny is when I got the prompt for using this url, I then went back and it was there:

:iiam:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Mr. Nice! posted:

Open up your settings app on your iphone and scroll down to the app specific settings section. Pick awful, and turn on paste to "allow" from "ask." It is in system settings not inside the app.

cool, thanks. like a fool i simply searched the settings for "paste" which didn't turn up what i needed

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Double tap to skip post doesn't seem to work if the post is just a big block of spammed quotes

Check page 3930 of the pyf memes thread to test: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813092&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=3930#post529016901

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Did lepers colony viewing break today? Can only load it in Safari on both iPad and iPhone

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

Did lepers colony viewing break today? Can only load it in Safari on both iPad and iPhone

It's slow because there are a couple of huge images in there but it loaded in the app just now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

oh god what are they embedding in ban reasons now