Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/drasticactionSA/status/926608472078209024

That's the only weirdness I've seen so far, but I'm not sure if that's app related, auto layout stuff, or something else. It's not a big deal though, just something I noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Drastic Actions posted:

https://twitter.com/drasticactionSA/status/926608472078209024

That's the only weirdness I've seen so far, but I'm not sure if that's app related, auto layout stuff, or something else. It's not a big deal though, just something I noticed.
I mentioned the diagonal slide on my 6s a while ago and was told it's normal.

pokeyman posted:

anthonypants posted:

When I swipe from a thread back into my bookmarks, is it supposed to bring the bookmarks in at a slight diagonal? I'm pretty sure it used to be flat horizontal. iPhone 6s, iOS 11.1 public beta 3, Awful 3.28
I think this is an iOS 11 change? The table scrolls up along with the usual horizontal animation.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 4, 2017

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

anthonypants posted:

Ah, never mind then :tipshat:

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Rinkles posted:

Also, in case this isn't a known issue: sometimes when making a post, the preview screen won't let me post, instead leading to another preview screen (and then another). Canceling out resolves the issue (allowing me to post what was previewed).

This happened with this very message btw.

[iPhone SE]

same problem/phone.

Rinkles posted:

Any way to fix tweets not properly loading on a page? It usually works as it should, but on random pages I'll only get the text instead of the embed. Reloading the page usually doesn't help.

Also, in case this isn't a known issue: sometimes when making a post, the preview screen won't let me post, instead leading to another preview screen (and then another). Canceling out resolves the issue (allowing me to post what was previewed).

This happened with this very message btw.

[iPhone SE]

But when quoting somebody; after cancelling and then posting the quote gets posted double as you can see above.
I added this edit on my PC, because editing won't work on the app, because you get stuck in the preview loop.

Hope this helps.

mrfart fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 5, 2017

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I think the tweet issue comes from there being a deleted tweet on that page. If it can’t render them all properly, it’ll just render the text.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

The_Doctor posted:

I've found that the app goes to landscape really easily and then gets stuck in that mode, rather than switching back when i turn my phone back to portrait.

What phone do you have? Mostly curious about plus vs. not-plus.

Caithness posted:

One of my starred forums disappeared, and now whenever I try to press the down arrow to display sub forums to put it back Awful crashes.

5S

Might have to delete and reinstall, sorry. There's a longstanding bug (or two?) where this happens and you're kinda SOL. I'll make a note.

Caithness posted:

Also also sometimes my forums list won’t display anything above or below the ones it was on when I opened it, and clicking the ones it does display becomes very finicky. This can be fixed by quitting and restarting the app.

Does this seem related to the above issue with the disappearing favourite and then crashes? Or were you seeing these display issues before the crashing?

Rinkles posted:

Was going to post about this soon. Like described above, most threads will simply turn blank, the remaining thread/s stay in the order they were in, as in they don't jump up to the top of the list. (E: this is in bookmark view)

[snip to later]

E: one more thing, sometimes I can't select a thread from my bookmarks. I can scroll the list but the app doesn't seem to respond to pressing. More specifically it doesn't respond to pressing to open a thread. The bottom buttons (lepers, settings etc.) respond fine.

[iPhone SE]

I think these two are related and I'll add them to the todo list, thanks and apologies.

quote:

Separate issue: sometimes I feel thread selection is too sensitive. I accidentally deleted a thread today. I'm not sure if being able to delete a thread so easily just by pulling is by design. (Still not sure what I deleted).

TraderStav posted:

I also deleted a bookmarked thread and it happened so fast I had no idea which one. The tolerance between grabbing a thread for deletion and swiping back to view a thread is too narrow.

Perhaps a pop up box asking if you want to remove the bookmark would solve? I imagine that is a pretty rare action as to not being overbearing.

I think this is the new(ly available to apps not called Mail) iOS 11 feature, probably enabled by default when maybe it shouldn't be. I'll make a note. I know we've pondered a confirmation message before, and I've also thought about moving it to the long-press action sheet and doing away with swiping entirely. Fun fact: you can shake to undo deleting a thread from your bookmarks. (Fun fact fun fact: this feature has been broken in the past when I suggested using it, resulting in a crash, and I felt real dumb!)

kloa posted:

If there’s a request for “ability to hide threads” I’d like to throw in my +1 for that :angel:

Ooh, an oldie but a goodie! Done.

IllegallySober posted:

Not entirely sure what's going on with my PM Inbox. Swipe-to-delete doesn't work anymore, and it took a while to realize there was now an edit button at the top, but when I found that I could select the message to delete with the minus symbol, but tapping on delete made the delete button disappear but not the message.

iPhone 6 Plus, latest store-release version

Also not sure but it's bugging me too. I'll take a look.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Thanks for working so hard on this app, fellow goons! It has been my most used app for years.

Apologies if this has already been said, but I’ve been having an issue with posting replies. Whenever I press “preview” after writing a reply the post button doesn’t appear, and instead I just get the preview button indefinitely. If I want to post I have to hit cancel and then come back into the post every time.

Editing also doesn’t work for me, but unlike the previous solution I haven’t been able to discover a work around.

Thanks again!

You're welcome! I've got a couple reports of this now, still not sure what's going on but it's on my list.

Zigmidge posted:

Thank you very much for the work you put into this but please give me an option to get rid of badges for Lowtax's stupid threads.

Coming next version!

maskenfreiheit posted:

Is there a way to view my sent messages on iOS?

Nope, but I'll +1 the request!

Ultimate Mango posted:

I think there is a bug that I actually like: when I try to click the link to view the post of someone I have on ignore, I get a different random post from earlier in the thread. So I still don’t see the post of the person I have on ignore, saving me from my own curiosity.

Someone else had this happen to them, but when I tried to track it down I was having a hard time reproducing. Can you link me a post that you were having trouble with (maybe via PM)?

zenintrude posted:

Keep getting this error when trying to post pics using iPhone X: https://imgur.com/a/OoEMu

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah this is the same one I've been getting on my 7+ since I switched photo format to High Efficiency. I think Imgur doesn't take HEIC photos.

Now I'm suspicious of that HEIC. Endless Mike when you mentioned it October 31 I chalked it up to Imgur API limits and end of the month but now I'm not so sure.

withak posted:

Probably related to the notch.

Don't knock the notch or I'll clean your, uh, swatch.

macserv posted:

Just wanted to say kudos to the developers for iPhone X readiness. App looks fantastic on the new phone.

I think that's just the free love you get by using some APIs vaguely correctly. If you see some areas that need tweaking feel free to holler! (I'm guessing landscape is a shitshow.)

Endless Mike posted:

Cool off Apple to help you make your app ready for my new phone

App Review specifically has been incredibly helpful in keeping this app in the store. Getting goatsed was a highlight!

anthonypants posted:

I'm pretty sure. Absolutely possible we're doing something wrong.

mrfart posted:

same problem/phone.

But when quoting somebody; after cancelling and then posting the quote gets posted double as you can see above.
I added this edit on my PC, because editing won't work on the app, because you get stuck in the preview loop.

Hope this helps.

Every bit helps, thanks. Sorry for the inconvenience.

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I think the tweet issue comes from there being a deleted tweet on that page. If it can’t render them all properly, it’ll just render the text.

Yep. Though I wonder if it was a bug in twitter.js and if we updated that it'd get fixed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hmmmm.

Oh right screenshots are PNG. Tried to add a pic of my cat and I get error 100. I think it's HEIC. Not sure that's something you can fix unless there's an API to convert to JPG or whatever.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I’m sure there is, when you share the image using the system share sheet it’ll dump out jpegs or whatever. Just gotta see what we’re doing wrong.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Sometimes when scrolling through threads, the screen shoots back up to the top of the page. Is there anything on my end or your end that can be done about this?

Rinkles posted:

The :frogout: app icon made me smile. Thank you.

Just discovered these. They’re great! I didn’t realize apps could let their users change the icon on the fly. Does Apple limit to how many you can make available?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I don’t think I’m supposed to see these

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

El Burbo posted:

If it happens on the browser version enjoy your new modship

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Trying to read an ignored poster's posts (why would I even do that) instead loads the post before the first displayed post.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
whenever lowtax posts a new announcement, all of the announcements become unread

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

dragon enthusiast posted:

whenever lowtax posts a new announcement, all of the announcements become unread

Chill our dragon appreciating homey, Announcement hiding is coming

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Zesty posted:

Sometimes when scrolling through threads, the screen shoots back up to the top of the page. Is there anything on my end or your end that can be done about this?

Just discovered these. They’re great! I didn’t realize apps could let their users change the icon on the fly. Does Apple limit to how many you can make available?

I thought the screen going back to the top was due to tweets loading?

Also just discovered that you can change the icon, great!

Another feature I would like to see, but it's not really important, is the option to choose firefox as standard browser.

Thanks for the great app.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Did you accidentally brush your finger across the top edge of the screen? Shooting back up to the top as you adjust your grip on your phone is standard (and dumb) iOS behavior.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Did you accidentally brush your finger across the top edge of the screen? Shooting back up to the top as you adjust your grip on your phone is standard (and dumb) iOS behavior.

It's a nice feature. And no, that probably isn't it. The app saves the last read position and tries its damndest to return to it in order to defeat all the tweet loading that usually happens after the page signals it's completely done loading. We'll probably need to cancel the jumping back if the user scrolls.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Still getting the Ok/Ok imgur bug when trying to post images from my 7 running 11.1 and 3.29 of the app.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

carry on then posted:

It's a nice feature. And no, that probably isn't it. The app saves the last read position and tries its damndest to return to it in order to defeat all the tweet loading that usually happens after the page signals it's completely done loading. We'll probably need to cancel the jumping back if the user scrolls.

You know, I’m betting that’s it.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

pokeyman posted:

Does this seem related to the above issue with the disappearing favourite and then crashes? Or were you seeing these display issues before the crashing?

I noticed them a day or so before the first crash. Pretty sure trying to get around the display issue was what deleted my starred forum, so they’re related at least in that sense.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

if you hit the share button on an embedded youtube video and long press to copy the url you get two different context menus that pop up one over the other.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
3.30 didn’t fix the subforum display crash, but deleting and reinstalling did.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I hesitate to ask, but I don’t follow this thread and will just post: Is the announcement badge button just there to troll me?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

open the threads or disable it in settings. the latter may just be a beta thing atm

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah the button is there, but it’s greyed out, permanently stuck in the on position.

I saw some earlier posts in this thread that sounded like “Lowtax wanted people to notice announcements more so deal with it”, which is an acceptable answer I’m willing to live with, I just wanted to know if the button wasn’t some tired goon’s joke I wasn’t aware of.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

:derp:You can change the icon! :derp:

This app is amazing!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Zesty posted:

Are these threads you've read before? Sometimes if you've already read the page then we have it in cache, but we'll reload the page anyway in case there are any edits or new posts, and maybe that reload is doing something?

quote:

I'm sure there's a theoretical limit, and there might be a limit as part of some policy. Either way I don't think we're close to it, so if there's more submissions I'm happy to add them.

El Burbo posted:

This is a time-honoured Forums bug. We pull the list of forums from the lil dropdown menu at the bottom of some forum pages, and that dropdown menu seems to get very confused. You might be able to pull down on the forums list to refresh the list.

Jeoh posted:

Trying to read an ignored poster's posts (why would I even do that) instead loads the post before the first displayed post.

Sorry about that, we're working on it.

dragon enthusiast posted:

I think I did a bad job trying to figure out when an announcement has changed. Though at this point I could just set a 24 hour timer to mark all announcements unread :effort:

mrfart posted:

I thought the screen going back to the top was due to tweets loading?

Oh maybe. Though I can't say I've seen this myself, it's entirely possible.

quote:

Another feature I would like to see, but it's not really important, is the option to choose firefox as standard browser.

This shouldn't be too hard, I'll toss it on the list.

iajanus posted:

Still getting the Ok/Ok imgur bug when trying to post images from my 7 running 11.1 and 3.29 of the app.

I think I fixed this in Awful 3.30, can you try there?

baram. posted:

if you hit the share button on an embedded youtube video and long press to copy the url you get two different context menus that pop up one over the other.

Forgot about this one. I'll +1 the issue.

Craptacular! posted:

I hesitate to ask, but I don’t follow this thread and will just post: Is the announcement badge button just there to troll me?

Nope, I hosed up somehow. It's meant to be operational. Though it is kinda funny.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The announcement toggle thing works for me, for what it's worth.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Update: this'll be fixed in the next version. In the meantime you can work around it:

1. Turn off the "Automatic Dark Mode" setting.
2. Set "Unread announcement badge" as you please.
3. Re-enable "Automatic Dark Mode".

If any iOS devs are following along and have a "cell reuse!!!" mental alarm bell going off, you win a cookie.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

pokeyman posted:

Are these threads you've read before? Sometimes if you've already read the page then we have it in cache, but we'll reload the page anyway in case there are any edits or new posts, and maybe that reload is doing something?

Yes, they are threads I’ve read before.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Zesty posted:

Yes, they are threads I’ve read before.

Alright. I wouldn't hold out hope for a big fix. The scroll position stuff is a pile of hacks with hacks sticking out the side and hack scaffolding surrounding the pile topped by a cantilevered hack bridge. It might get better someday, something else might get worse as a result, kinda tough to say. Sorry.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

pokeyman posted:

This shouldn't be too hard, I'll toss it on the list.

Thanks!
Meanwhile, I reinstalled the app and so far didn’t have the endless preview bug anymore.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

pokeyman posted:

Alright. I wouldn't hold out hope for a big fix. The scroll position stuff is a pile of hacks with hacks sticking out the side and hack scaffolding surrounding the pile topped by a cantilevered hack bridge. It might get better someday, something else might get worse as a result, kinda tough to say. Sorry.

No worries. Just a weird thing is all.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

pokeyman posted:

Update: this'll be fixed in the next version. In the meantime you can work around it:

1. Turn off the "Automatic Dark Mode" setting.
2. Set "Unread announcement badge" as you please.
3. Re-enable "Automatic Dark Mode".

If any iOS devs are following along and have a "cell reuse!!!" mental alarm bell going off, you win a cookie.

I did this and now I can’t reenable dark mode. This is disgusting, how can I turn dark mode back on?

E: Never mind, I pulled the slider and it turned back on. I don’t want “automatic” dark mode, I just want a dark theme all the time but I can’t turn off the automatic. Seems not to be an issue because I pulled the slider all the way, but seems unintuitive.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 11, 2017

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It’s literally not working correctly, of course it’s unintuitive. He’s got the fix coming.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Is there a way to get gifv posts to embed in app?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

On my 5S (iOS 11.1.1) I’ve had this issue for the last few Awful updates.

I don’t have this issue on my 6S, it only happens on the 5S.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Having two issues so sorry if this has already been addressed.

The first one is that when I click a quoted post to go back to said post and it's on a different page, it won't go to the post and just goes to the top of the page. Is there a fix for this?

Also I didn't really know how to explain this one so I just took a video. I have to restart the app when this happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmicz_WtuFs

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I keep getting an error code 100 when trying to upload an image from my phone ☹️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

maskenfreiheit posted:

I keep getting an error code 100 when trying to upload an image from my phone ☹️
Is it this one?

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah this is the same one I've been getting on my 7+ since I switched photo format to High Efficiency. I think Imgur doesn't take HEIC photos.