Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

e: ignore me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The Wikipedia app just got an update with a Black theme for OLED displays that looks pretty good, maybe we could rip that off for our iPhone X theme?

The main difference between that and ours is making the background of the post body black rather than the spaces between posts. They also made their page header a dark grey which looks great too IMO.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve been getting this a few times the past couple of days.

A few bookmarks will load, but not all of them, and if I open one of them, it’s not the thread it’s supposed to be (ie not the one I pressed on)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
E: ignore me

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 24, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
It already sorts chronologically in order of the last post made in the thread, what do you really want it to do?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

How did you necro a bunch of threads without seeing the date the post you were quoting and/or the last post in the thread was in the posts view?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What the heck

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Hey I have a feature request, if it's simple to do, would like the option to enable/disable twitter in the hamburger menu (the one located on the bottom left next to the < page 1 / page 2 >).

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Crime on a Dime posted:

That just uploads to imgur

And fails 100% of the time now. I give up getting to use that feature till I get my next phone.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Try again at the beginning of the month. Were all on a shared rate limit.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Buglord
Is there any temporary workaround for the infinity preview loop? I know how to post, but is there an action I can take to hopefully avoid it?

Its been affecting me for months too :smith:

e: iPhone 7+, latest iOS & Awful version.

buglord fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 26, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
iPhone X, 11.2.1, Awful 3.32
The quick menu in the upper right doesn't summon when I swipe it. It still works everywhere else.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I just switched from android to iOS today, I look forward to this fancy, beautiful-like-an-egg iOS aesthetic.

...I have to preview before I post?!?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
You can actually turn that off if you want.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jivjov posted:

You can actually turn that off if you want.

Feature request (that I could prolly do this week with permission from pokeyman and ux guidance): remove this option and just have two iconed barbuttons there for preview and post instead of either/or

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I know personally the primary value of the preview button is making sure i got the emote names right :5: :voted5: :vote5: :suicide:

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

First impressions: the favorites and recents for emotes is an absolute treasure, it’s even better than what I thought I wanted. But not having a search function, database/word bank for basic wraparound thingies is a hassle. I’m left fumbling in the dark as to whether I remember how to strike through or do small text.

Keep up the good work, the app looks pretty!

Edit: naturally I’m comparing every little detail to how the android awfulapp works, sorry if you’re sick of that

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Autocomplete for smilies would be :coal: (maybe even with a preview below where you’re typing??)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Regular Nintendo posted:

Feature request (that I could prolly do this week with permission from pokeyman and ux guidance): remove this option and just have two iconed barbuttons there for preview and post instead of either/or

this, but the buttons should be post and reply

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Is it possible to add access to the "Users browsing" that's normally at the top of a forum?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Crime on a Dime posted:

Is it possible to add access to the "Users browsing" that's normally at the top of a forum?

Where would that option live? Long press on forum header when looking at the top level of a forum?

Just my 2 cents but I like that the app is uncluttered and lets me do 95% of forums stuff on my phone. The full browser site is still there for the other 5%

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Something like that. I guess I'm biased because I exclusively phone post

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Keith Atherton posted:

Where would that option live? Long press on forum header when looking at the top level of a forum?

Just my 2 cents but I like that the app is uncluttered and lets me do 95% of forums stuff on my phone. The full browser site is still there for the other 5%

Maybe it could say something like GBS (100 goons) at the top when you are browsing each forum. Also maybe give an option to toggle it for people who don't want it.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

I strongly prefer the guaranteed preview prior to posting, assuming the correct option is set. In fact :siren:feature request:siren: I’d appreciate it if there were a ~0.5sec cooldown after tapping Preview before the Post button is active. (I think I’ve only once accidentally double-tapped on Preview such that the Post button was immediately triggered too, but it happened when I had written like two words of my intended post and 👻it haunts me:ghost:.)

Perhaps set it up so that the Always Preview New Posts option keeps the current behavior while enabled, but disable that option and the reply sheet swaps to host the simultaneous pair of preview/post icon buttons.

:goleft:👍

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You can edit posts

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

withak posted:

You can edit posts

don’t kink shame me

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Crime on a Dime posted:

My question would be why do care about this in the first place

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Sereri posted:

I'll field this. Because it can be really funny, it's part of this complete forums.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Nude posted:

Maybe it could say something like GBS (100 goons) at the top when you are browsing each forum. Also maybe give an option to toggle it for people who don't want it.

I feel like this is completely unnecessary but if you add it please give us an option to turn it off. Just my $.02 :)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
If I haven't quoted you directly here, don't worry, I've made a note of everything mentioned up to this post.

Zesty posted:

Is there a way to get twitter links to open in the Tweetbot app rather than the official Twitter app?

Nope, but I can look in to it!

Serifina posted:

Bug (iPhone 6s, ios 11.0.3, current test flight version): deleting a thread in my bookmarks causes me to be unable to open aby thread in my bookmarks. I can scroll the list but tapping anything results in no reaction at all.

This high up on my list to fix, sorry about that. As a lovely workaround, force-quitting Awful and relaunching it should get it working again.

Zesty posted:

A couple secret forums visible

Awful's just scraping the lil dropdown menu on the Forums. The upside is this includes all subsubforums and so on down the hierarchy; the downside is sometimes it glitches out and shows you forums you shouldn't be seeing.

carry on then posted:

Anyone else having an issue with external links when using Awful Browser? Specifically, tapping the link causes the status bar text to darken but nothing else happens, and the app starts behaving oddly? Trying to track this thing down but I’m not sure if anyone else is seeing it.

I used to see this maybe once a week, now I haven't seen it in months.

boop the snoot posted:

Links to threads/posts in the forums open in a browser and only after a long press. Any way we can get them to open in the app?

Most current app and iOS version.

This is a bug that I haven't gotten a chance to look into. It hits me now and then and is very annoying!

anthonypants posted:

I don't know if this is a thing you can troubleshoot but I use Swype as my keyboard, and every so often while I'm in Awful, the keyboard will jump to the number/special character keyboard and stop responding. This didn't happen on my 6s, so maybe there's some iPhone X bug in Swype or Awful that needs to be addressed? It's happened on iOS 11.2 and 11.2.1.

I'm as baffled as you, but it's probably something we can take a look at sometime. I'll make a note.

iajanus posted:

Still can't upload images (getting -1 response from imgur regularly). Latest version and ios. anything I can provide to help with this issue? Tried deleting the app and clearing the cache to no avail.

Thanks for the offer to help! I just haven't looked into it yet. Sorry it's so annoying, it is on my list.

spanky the dolphin posted:

The Wikipedia app just got an update with a Black theme for OLED displays that looks pretty good, maybe we could rip that off for our iPhone X theme?

The main difference between that and ours is making the background of the post body black rather than the spaces between posts. They also made their page header a dark grey which looks great too IMO.

I'm on board. I also kinda wanna do the light switch gesture (to turn dark mode on/off) now that I'm aware of its existence in an app I use (Overcast, who I believe took it from one of the Twitter apps).

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve been getting this a few times the past couple of days.

A few bookmarks will load, but not all of them, and if I open one of them, it’s not the thread it’s supposed to be (ie not the one I pressed on)

I've got it on my list! Sorry for the trouble, hopefully I'll look into it soon.

buglord posted:

Is there any temporary workaround for the infinity preview loop? I know how to post, but is there an action I can take to hopefully avoid it?

Its been affecting me for months too :smith:

e: iPhone 7+, latest iOS & Awful version.

You know, I suspect there is a workaround somewhere, because I've only managed to get into a preview loop once and couldn't reproduce it. Unfortunately I don't know what it is. Sorry!

kimbo305 posted:

iPhone X, 11.2.1, Awful 3.32
The quick menu in the upper right doesn't summon when I swipe it. It still works everywhere else.

Do you mean the iOS thing, Control Center? Or is this a quick menu in Awful itself?

Regular Nintendo posted:

I feel like we've had some discussions in the past ("we" as in one of these threads) about this. I'd like to have a better understanding of what people are bumping up against before changing things up. The current setup allows for "I always want to preview" and "I never want to preview", so I guess people want to preview sometimes and not others? Is it a per-forum thing (SH/SC preview please, but YOSPOS is :justpost:)? Does it depend on the thread? I'd love to hear from anyone who's annoyed (a little or a lot) by the current button and setting.

Billzasilver posted:

First impressions: the favorites and recents for emotes is an absolute treasure, it’s even better than what I thought I wanted. But not having a search function, database/word bank for basic wraparound thingies is a hassle. I’m left fumbling in the dark as to whether I remember how to strike through or do small text.

Keep up the good work, the app looks pretty!

Agreed it's almost impossible to find the smilie you want. I do want to add some long-press to smilies in posts so you can see what the code is and also add it to your favourites directly from there. But the keyboard would still benefit greatly from a search or filter or something.

And thanks!

quote:

Edit: naturally I’m comparing every little detail to how the android awfulapp works, sorry if you’re sick of that

Nope! Always happy for the feedback.

kloa posted:

Autocomplete for smilies would be :coal: (maybe even with a preview below where you’re typing??)

Agreed. I know that apps can kind of gently caress with the iOS autocomplete thing but I haven't really gotten into it yet so I'm not sure how much we're able to do.

Crime on a Dime posted:

I'll add it to the list! It looks like it'd be straightforward to scrape. But it'll take some thought about where to expose it in the UI. Maybe we sneak it into the navbar below the name of the forum?

Sereri posted:

I think anything on the Forums website is in scope for this app. There are many features I don't use but am happy to (at least nominally) maintain and entertain.

That said, if we can't figure out how to do it well then I'd rather just not do it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you're looking into opening Twitter links in alternate apps, please add Twitteriffic. I have no idea if it's more or less work since I have no idea how these things work.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

pokeyman posted:

I feel like we've had some discussions in the past ("we" as in one of these threads) about this. I'd like to have a better understanding of what people are bumping up against before changing things up. The current setup allows for "I always want to preview" and "I never want to preview", so I guess people want to preview sometimes and not others? Is it a per-forum thing (SH/SC preview please, but YOSPOS is :justpost:)? Does it depend on the thread? I'd love to hear from anyone who's annoyed (a little or a lot) by the current button and setting.

Agreed it's almost impossible to find the smilie you want. I do want to add some long-press to smilies in posts so you can see what the code is and also add it to your favourites directly from there. But the keyboard would still benefit greatly from a search or filter or something.

And thanks!

Personally, I almost always use preview just to make sure my [][/] stuff is working correctly, and not every post will have that. Whether it’s quotes or bolds or smilies or images that link to videos, I don’t want to mess it up like I did when I was [i]10.[i/]

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I like preview because I can fix all my bb code mistakes at once rather than hassling with going into edit mode repeatedly

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Can you make a point system/hall of fame for emptyquotes so I can stop updating this 300gb xlsx?

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

I'm on board. I also kinda wanna do the light switch gesture (to turn dark mode on/off) now that I'm aware of its existence in an app I use (Overcast, who I believe took it from one of the Twitter apps).

I don't know what this light switch gesture is but it sounds cool.

Here's a mock up I made for an OLED theme in thread view:

It's mostly all 000000 black. The dividing lines are 1a1a1a gray, and I gave them rounded edges so they'd melt into the OLED more. Text color values are all the same as before in this image but I think the link blue color should be brightened to 0066ff.

The background for the Parent Forum | Previous Posts | End of Page buttons could be 1a1a1a also.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 30, 2017

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Two finger swipe up or down. TweetBot even has a light switch sound effect which is quite satisfying.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-quickly-toggle-night-mode-on-tweetbot-4/

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Keith Atherton posted:

You could also swipe on a forum or just add a setting to add in parens next to the forum name

Also I’ve been having issues where the subscribed threads are wonky - it hangs down a bit and clicking on a thread brings me to the topic below

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Here’s a screenshot - restarting app and phone didn’t fix